Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:56:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Purple Tentacle's Second Class Male - NOW UPDATED!!

Started by Purple Tentacle, March 06, 2006, 12:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpants

Quote from: "Lee""Nah, it's over. Yeah, it was shit."

:D

Wow, I can't believe you listened that far into it!

hands cold, liver warm

plc = yorkshire sounding bastard

film is ace though. really very good.

Purple Tentacle

Buggeration, the DivX that's up at the moment is 2 frames out of sync.

Re-rendering it now, I'll put some new versions up as soon as possible.

fanny splendid

You're right about removing 'cunt', but yes, the soundtrack sound better now, superb.

gazzyk1ns

Sounds good PT! I also agree about the "cunt" thing.

You could have done an ultimate director's cut version. Start with the THX thingy and also the Castle Rock bit. You could introduce it as a Jerry Bruckheimer Film, too. Then for the opening 10 minutes just have a steady pan up the stairs of the building, with suitable music and needless credits, like the beginning of Speed and Terminator 2. When you've credited everyone you've ever met, you'll be on PLC's floor and you can just pan up to him, struggling with his credit card.

I've used the word "pan" twice there, despite clearly not knowing its specific meaning when it comes to film-making, sorry.

I think you mean track/dolly and possibly tilt.  But I've been describing camera moves for years and still don't know if I'm getting it right or not.  As a director once said to me about a script "Oh, I just ignore all the bits in the brackets" i.e. stage/camera directions.

Purple Tentacle

I've sorted out the problem with the sync.

Second Class Male - Remastered (right-click, Divx, 45MB)

Second Class Male - The Two Pints Remix

Give me four million quid gazzy, and I'll make your dreams a reality.

Darrell

Cor, excellent stuff PT. Hadn't noticed this thread until now.

Though those two links you've posted above are both the laugh track version, albeit one anamorphically encoded and one done letterbox.

I take it that laughter was from the actual Two Pints elements at the dubbing studio rather than just sampled off an off-air or broadcast master. Cause it's incredibly well done - if you took away a couple of the jokey OTT sounds like the applause for the locksmith etc, and maybe knocked the volume down a tiny amount, it could pass for a legitimate laugh track version very easily.

(However, in canned laughter terms nothing will ever beat the Jam DVD extras. A work of dubbing genius.)

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Darrell"Though those two links you've posted above are both the laugh track version, albeit one anamorphically encoded and one done letterbox.

Goddamnit, thanks Darrell. I am a fucking idiot, why don't I check these things? I've fixed it now, check out the 'good' version.

QuoteI take it that laughter was from the actual Two Pints elements at the dubbing studio rather than just sampled off an off-air or broadcast master. Cause it's incredibly well done - if you took away a couple of the jokey OTT sounds like the applause for the locksmith etc, and maybe knocked the volume down a tiny amount, it could pass for a legitimate laugh track version very easily.

The credit for the laughter goes to mrpants really, he's the wiz with making unfunny things sound funnier than they are. It was just an amusing joke-thing to do after a couple of days work on the 'proper' version, but we found ourselves working till late, pondering 'would this audience laugh loudly at THAT, would they be CACKLING... no, that would be silly'.

The bit where the audience applaud the locksmith is the best bit!

I'm not sure he'll want me saying EXACTLY where we got the laughter from, but it wasn't off-air.

mrpants

Quote from: "Darrell"I take it that laughter was from the actual Two Pints elements at the dubbing studio rather than just sampled off an off-air or broadcast master. Cause it's incredibly well done - if you took away a couple of the jokey OTT sounds like the applause for the locksmith etc, and maybe knocked the volume down a tiny amount, it could pass for a legitimate laugh track version very easily.

Don't say that!  The laugh track was very much a bang-crash-wallop job, I would hope that real laugh tracks sound a bit better!

The laughter was taken from various dark corners of the hard drives here - mostly from Two Pints, a couple from The Crouches (mostly the whoops) and a few cheers and applause from Eddie Izzard.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"The credit for the laughter goes to mrpants really, he's the wiz with making unfunny things sound funnier than they are.

Thanks a fucking bundle.

thepuffpastryhangman

Thanks to someone posting a YouTube link from CC I was finally able to watch this in it's entirety (DivX would only play about half, dunno why) and felt it appropriate to join in the general praise. For what it's worth I especially enjoyed the opening title sequence. Just thought I'd mention that.

Purple Tentacle

Cheers!

After watching a large amount of short films this year, I am personally getting proper sick of 'flashy' title sequences. Every cunt, including myself, tries to be dead clever with the titles, and after the twentieth 'aaah, look what I can do with After Effects' sequence in a row it gets really tiresome.

White Futura font on black next time for definite. It'll probably be hailed as 'brave and radical'.

Labian Quest

I've just seen it here as well and I think it's very well done, and a lot more entertaining than a lot of the other shorts I've seen on C4 etc.

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: "thepuffpastryhangman"Thanks to someone posting a YouTube link from CC I was finally able to watch this...
Same for me, but only 'cos for some reason I can't get anything from your own webspace PT - not your fillum, nor any pictures you post on the rest of the board. I'm sure I'm missing out on the bestest pics and stuff, so why can't I see any of them? Why have you forsaken me? Why, why, why?
*sobs*

It is a good film. Ecxellently realised. I applaud you and your actors and crew.

If you can shed any light PT I'd be chuffed, cheers.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"If you can shed any light PT I'd be chuffed, cheers.

Hmm, that's weird, the site is up, it's hosted on Web-Mania, which I believe a LOT of Verbwhores use, and I'm shit at web design (as thankfully you can't see), there's nothing sexual about the name, nothing unusual about it at all as far as I can tell. Maybe your firewall has a problem with WebMania or something. Weird.

Thanks for bumping this thread by the way PuffPastry, everyone's kind comments have kept me in wanks for the coming weekend.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I was speaking to a guy who went by the name 'munkybitch' on the chatroom last night who was interested in your film, and other filmmakers on here. I directed him towards you, so I don't know whether he's been bothering you yet, and apologies if the bothering has been of a bothersome nature.

Purple Tentacle

No bother at all, I haven't heard from him/her, always happy to chat. But I'm very very wary of being set up as some sort of self-proclaimed 'film-maker of the forum' when I know for a fact that there are plenty of people on here who make films, shorts, and a lot of people who are more professional and have more knowledge on the subject than I do!

I'd fucking love to see UYA filled with more of Lt Plonkers' "Confessions of a Schoolboy" type stuff because everybody is so creative, but I think people are afraid that they'll come across as arrogant or self-promoting if they put their work up here in a thread.

Well I don't care, I want to see what other people get up to and other people's work, the thing about going to loads of film festivals is that it's a very humbling experience (and sometimes quite smug when there's loads of shit films on), and there's a difference between hunting for something on YouTube, and someone going 'Look, I made this, what do you think?'

More films, more animations, more stupid crap should be posted in UYA, because I'm a lazy bastard and can't be bothered to seek it out myself. Too many lights being hidden under (Garry) bushells.

Either that or next January I'll be starting another thread about my new film, and everyone will think I'm even more of a cunt. Moreso.

Lt Plonker

I'm planning on doing some more animation, but mainly tests. They'll be more refined, with better acting and more fluid movement. Some of it may even involve Verbwhore participation!

I'm hoping to make the occasional short animated film, once I get my hands of a copy of Toon Boom, and aquire some motivation again. I have a few ideas.

But yes, it'd be nice to make UYA a hive of activity again.

How did you convince Alan Titchmarsh to do the voice overs?

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"
But yes, it'd be nice to make UYA a hive of activity again.

there should be a UYA committee set up to think of ways of getting lots of people involved in audio-visual monging, from beginners like me to experts like yourself and all the others

a think tank, if you will

Purple Tentacle

I've actually posted this on the Youtube thread, but since this is bumped, I'll do some vulgar multi-spamming...

The much funnier 2001 student film I edited is now on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJybyMQl01c

mrpants

I liked that, not sure I entirely understood it though.

Is the one where your friend got arrested at the anti-war rally up on You Tube?

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "mrpants"I liked that, not sure I entirely understood it though.

Is the one where your friend got arrested at the anti-war rally up on You Tube?

Nah, it's 16 minutes long, I think you need some 'cunt director's pass' to put it up.

Besides, I rewatched it recently, and it was pretty naive and embarassing.

There's nothing to understand about 'Carbon Copy' by the way, it was a pretentious film about cloning that my mate shot that turned out to be a disaster, so I re-cut it to put the silly pissing-about at the toll booth in. I have no idea what the doughnut shit was supposed to be about.

The Duck Man

He he, not only on IMDb, on Wikipedia as well. From a non-CaB source as well.