Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:44:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Online forums

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, March 10, 2006, 01:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Quote from: "Tits McGee"Reactionary shit
Why don't you fuck off?

Toad in the Hole

This has been bothering me since this thread appeared...

Is forums the correct plural of forum?

Slopes off back to find bottle-bottom glasses, sitting on own in corner at pedant desk.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hehe...'fora', probably.

As Medium to Media.

Musicoutoftrousers

I wouldn't worry. It almost always turns out that 'both are acceptybull'.

mayer

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"
I suppose Neil and TJ are the people to ask, but is it difficult to set up a forum à la CAB? Costly?

As has been said. Nope, and nope.

You need some webspace, the ability to upload onto it, a MySQL database (you don't really need to know much to do with it though!), and the free software from here.

http://www.phpbb.com/

There are helpful FAQs there, walkthroughs possibly too now I think, and help forums worth reading if you have any difficulties

Probably the most tricky bit will be modifying the basic layout to one which looks nice. You don't really need to know much php (the code that this is written in) for it. You can use a public domain template (it'll have a copyright note at the bottom to credit its designer), and use the help forums from the above site for any tweaking you need. Including security tweaks that are essential to stop a spam overload.

Artemis

When did CaB first start? Was there some kind of inferior forum before that? I remember coming across a Morris related forum in 1999 when I first discovered the internet.... I'm not sure if this was what would later become CaB or if this place existed then...

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "Ciarán"Didn't someone recently have an avatar of Julie Burchill foisted upon them by the mods? I thought that was good.

Wasn't it AllDeafGuysHaveHearingAids?

slim

Yes, although that wasn't his original name. Another twat.

sproggy

Quote from: "Tits McGee"Sproglette, yesterday

It's a small 's'

Circusfire

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"
Bad idea.  There's always a few fuckwits who quote the entire digest just to add their one-line reply, so you get digests within digests making it a nightmare to read.

Really?  I've never seen this before.

The few yahoo groups digests I use have got moderators who probably get rid of this sort of shit.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"Bad idea.  There's always a few fuckwits who quote the entire digest just to add their one-line reply, so you get digests within digests making it a nightmare to read.

Whenever people do this on lists I'm a member of I always give them loads of hassle.

Beagle 2

Quote from: "Artemis"When did CaB first start? Was there some kind of inferior forum before that? I remember coming across a Morris related forum in 1999 when I first discovered the internet.... I'm not sure if this was what would later become CaB or if this place existed then...

I found this the other day, and the realmedia Why Bother's were still there, I was well chuffed with my CD being on loan indefinitely. Somebody linked to an early version with a guestbook recently I think as well.

This was the first message board I could be arsed with because of the easy format of it all, forums structured much different to this one are too much faffing about, Beta's irritates me, and NotBBC is a right pain in the arse. Actually what's the deal there, there's a frameless forum that's much better and nobody bothers to post in it.