Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley.

Started by mattp, March 10, 2006, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Matt P, use the search function you clown.

Setting out your stall indeed...

mattp

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"Matt P, use the search function you clown.

Setting out your stall indeed...

I'm not sure i like your tone.

mattp

Quote from: "mcbpete"mattp: You wouldn't happen to be the same mattp that knows me and joe (from le school de cubus) are you, or is it just a coincidence.

I think the doug rocket guy was my favourite character from the series.

Nope, i'm a different mattp.

mattp

Quote from: "Muteki"
Quote from: "mattp"-The song 'Bad to have a bad uncle.
The Barley enjoyers always cite this as a highlight - what's so funny about it? Was there something very wry and clever about it or is it just a 'sniggering about paedos, how naughty' 6th form giggle? I.

The former.

hansen mork

What was wry and clever about it?

mattp

Quote from: "hansen mork"What was wry and clever about it?

The video direction, scenery and acting, particularly the way she rubs her eyes after the first 'Bad to have a bad uncle' line.  

The line 'Pain, pain of the monkey'.  Please don't ask me why that is wry and clever, it just works in the context.

Just the whole concept of what's taking place in Barley's flat.

Quast In Spaaace!

Quote from: "mattp"Please don't ask me why that is wry and clever

I think that line, says it all about this cunt, who isn't wry OR clever.

Pepotamo1985

Catalogue Trousers

Somehow I get the feeling that we've seen the last of mattp.

Pass the black armband, vicar.

mattp

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Somehow I get the feeling that we've seen the last of mattp.

[cough]

imitationleather

He's not going anywhere until he's got old skool down Liverpool Street way.

mattp

Quote from: "Quast In Spaaace!"

So i suppose that the funniness of everything you've ever laughed at in comedy can be easily explained in terms of wryness and cleverness by your good self?

Asking someone to explain why something is funny is a total cunts game.  Just imagine person A in the pub tells person B that the bit in Only Fools and Horses where Del boy falls through the bar is really funny and person B tells person A that he doesn't find it funny and then says, 'tell me why it's wry or clever, go on'.  

THAT'S why i said 'please don't ask me to explain'.

mattp

ps Location: Spaaace!

Wanker.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "mattp"Just imagine person A in the pub tells person B that the bit in Only Fools and Horses where Del boy falls through the bar is really funny and person B tells person A that he doesn't find it funny and then says, 'tell me why it's wry or clever, go on'.  

Well it's not really 'wry' in any sense, but it's a clever piece of physical comedy, cleverly set up by John Sullivan in the way Delboy's setting himself up for a fall beforehand, and Roger Lloyd Pack's deadpan reaction is, if you like, another piece of 'clever' comic acting.

mattp

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "mattp"Just imagine person A in the pub tells person B that the bit in Only Fools and Horses where Del boy falls through the bar is really funny and person B tells person A that he doesn't find it funny and then says, 'tell me why it's wry or clever, go on'.  

Well it's not really 'wry' in any sense, but it's a clever piece of physical comedy, cleverly set up by John Sullivan in the way Delboy's setting himself up for a fall beforehand, and Roger Lloyd Pack's deadpan reaction is, if you like, another piece of 'clever' comic acting.

yeah but person B could say to you 'what's clever or indeed original about someone falling over?'.

jutl

Quote from: "mattp"
yeah but person B could say to you 'what's clever or indeed original about someone falling over?'.

True. What kind of replies were you hoping for on this thread?

mattp

Quote from: "jutl"

True. What kind of replies were you hoping for on this thread?

Intelligent ones i guess.  I know better now.

jutl

Fair enough. You could try looking through the old threads though. There are some pretty strong defences of NB there (you don't seem to feel anyone who didn't enjoy it is intelligent).

Jemble Fred

True.

No it's not, jutl. The answer would be 'it is when it's cleverly set up by the dialogue that precedes it. And since when has 'original' been a synonym for 'clever'?

mattp

Fair enough. You could try looking through the old threads though. There are some pretty strong defences of NB there (you don't seem to feel anyone who didn't enjoy it is intelligent).

I have a very big problem with people rating Game On over Nathan Barley.  I'm not a violent man but if i heard those views expressed in a pub i'd some cunts head would get christened with a bottle of stella.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You've got problems then.

The evidence of Game On being funnier than Barley is evident just by people like you mattp who think they're cleverer than they actually are. The same people are knocking around who think Extras was the best comedy of last year. Game On was better than both of them because it was unpretentious and actually funny at times. Perhaps Barley was designed to snare obnoxious schizo's who think they're better than anyone else.

mattp

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"You've got problems then.

The evidence of Game On being funnier than Barley is evident just by people like you mattp who think they're cleverer than they actually are. The same people are knocking around who think Extras was the best comedy of last year. Game On was better than both of them because it was unpretentious and actually funny at times. Perhaps Barley was designed to snare obnoxious schizo's who think they're better than anyone else.

Extras was Ok, but not great.  I watched and enjoyed each episode but i don't have a burning desire to get the DVD, so i can't rate it that highly.

The fact that you rate Game On really does you no favours at all.  I know that tv critics are not the be-all and end-all but they are at least reasonably intelligent people who have a passion of quality broadcasts.  I can't remember a single review of Game On that didn't say it was, at best, dire.

And before any twat accused me of just going along with what critics say, i'd already made up my mind about the show before i read a review.  The critics just confirmed what i already knew.

Oscar

QuoteI'm not a violent man

I'm old enough to kick your fucking head in cuntface.

Yeah i'm funny...just like your head will be feeling funny (dizzy) after i've finished knocking fuck out of you!

Is it difficult to take the intellectual high ground when you have the word fuckwit flashing under your name?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe fact that you rate Game On really does you no favours at all.

I've never said I consider it comedy gold, but I at least think it succeeded in what it was aiming to do, unlike Barley which was short of gags, the format didn't work, it had an abysmal script and it was edited and directed like a sixth-form group project. Even if that was 'deliberate' (I doubt it) it's so annoying it ruins the enjoyment of the show. At least Game On was fully aware of what it was and made me laugh from time to time.

El Unicornio, mang

I liked Nathan Barley, but i must say that, watching it the other night, back to back with Brass Eye, it really didn't seem very good. I guess my quality threshold had decreased somewhat and I needed some classic Morris to show me the error of my ways

I still don't think it's a bad show though. Worst thing Morris has done though? Definitely

Quote from: "jutl"What kind of replies were you hoping for on this thread?
Intelligent ones i guess.

Don't bother looking to jutl for intelligence.  He's well-known around these parts as a synomym for "utter thickie".

Quast In Spaaace!

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Somehow I get the feeling that we've seen the last of mattp.

[cough]

It's okay people he's got Bird Flu.

Quast In Spaaace!

Quote from: "Quast In Spaaace!"

So i suppose that the funniness of everything you've ever laughed at in comedy can be easily explained in terms of wryness and cleverness by your good self?

If it's wry and clever then yes I can usually explain why I think it's wry and clever.

QuoteJust imagine person A in the pub tells person B that the bit in Only Fools and Horses where Del boy falls through the bar is really funny and person B tells person A that he doesn't find it funny and then says, 'tell me why it's wry or clever, go on'.
That's your problem you see because, that joke isn't wry and clever, it's just a pratfall.  

QuoteTHAT'S why i said 'please don't ask me to explain'.
Now I understand, you don't want to be asked to explain because, you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote from: "mattp"ps Location: Spaaace!

Wanker.

Any different from, wanking in cyberspace like you're doing?

Catalogue Trousers

Someone desperate to make a mark wrote:

QuoteThe line 'Pain, pain of the monkey'. Please don't ask me why that is wry and clever, it just works in the context.

And then expects others to explain why something else is "wry and clever" "in context".

Double standards ahoy!

Added to which, anyone who reckons that they'd christen someone with an oh-so-laddish-I'm-dead-hard-I-drink-Wifebeater-me bottle of Stella for daring to say out loud that they like a comedy programme which he doesn't is probably only a step away from the worst sort of "did you call my pint a puff?" wanker anyway.

By the way (1):

gnatt - where did the charmer come out with those sterling quotes? Can't find 'em anywhere on this thread.

By the way (2):

Nathan Barley is rubbish because it's nowhere near as funny, clever, or scathing as it thinks it is (and as it could - and should - have been). "Fuck Enron 'cos it's fuckin' wrong"? - my, how very daring, sir. Bet that the kids were repeating that one in the playground next morning.

mattp

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Someone desperate to make a mark wrote:

QuoteThe line 'Pain, pain of the monkey'. Please don't ask me why that is wry and clever, it just works in the context.

And then expects others to explain why something else is "wry and clever" "in context".

Double standards ahoy!

Added to which, anyone who reckons that they'd christen someone with an oh-so-laddish-I'm-dead-hard-I-drink-Wifebeater-me bottle of Stella for daring to say out loud that they like a comedy programme which he doesn't is probably only a step away from the worst sort of "did you call my pint a puff?" wanker anyway.

By the way (1):

gnatt - where did the charmer come out with those sterling quotes? Can't find 'em anywhere on this thread.

By the way (2):

Nathan Barley is rubbish because it's nowhere near as funny, clever, or scathing as it thinks it is (and as it could - and should - have been). "Fuck Enron 'cos it's fuckin' wrong"? - my, how very daring, sir. Bet that the kids were repeating that one in the playground next morning.

This post is wrong and shit on so many levels i don't even know where to begin.