Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'Have Your Say' Summary Project

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 17, 2006, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

It's a bit like saying you shouldn't demand the help of the fire brigade unless you've spent six months letting researchers set your clothes on fire whilst you're wearing them.

Here's an angle I hadn't considered:

Quote from: "Mark Hewitt"The real reason why the war [in Iraq] has gone wrong has because of the anti war lobby.

To the question "Is Baby MB's life a life worth living?"

Quote from: "jimmy"no

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"
QuoteAll other users are just free-loaders onto society, with specific regards to those wanting to have a "ride around".

Damn those freeloaders and their "riding around"!

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I'm just going to pop 'OUTSIDE' for a pint of 'MILK', would 'ANYONE' like one?

I wouldn't 'MIND' a packet 'OF' Seabrook 'CRISPS' if they've 'GOT' 'THEM'.

'CHEERS'

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

This isn't from Have Your Say, but the BBC7 message board. They are complaining about the station broadcasting Ivor Cutler.

I want every single one of these people dead.

Note to controller BBC7: You're having a laugh. AND you're probably the only one who is. The slot title is "Comedy Controller" the program at the moment is 'King Cutler" a disjointed, unfunny, mish-mash of feeble poetry, and musical droning... It sounds like Radio 3 on a very bad day. Idea for the future:
Restrict invites to be guest controller in this slot, to individuals who have some idea of what is funny.

I woke up to the Ivor Cutler show and thought I was having a nightmare, I completely agree with Seymour, a mish-mash of nothingness. (Another hour lost to 'Oneword'). Not my sort of comedy.

True. Awful drivel, even worse than Garrison Keillor.

I love all types of music but not from a speech channel please...

Wasn't Cutler's rarified humour originally on Radio 3 and was therefore thought suited to that station'd highbrow requirement?

I could see where it was coming from (most of the time and there was an odd fascination about it: but the laughs were more on the intellectual plane than the belly level.

Speaking as a 'lesser mind that just don't 'get' Cutler', does that mean that the likes of me are not allowed to say so in case we upset those 'greater minds that do 'get' Cutler'?

As for Ivor Cutler....a 'cult' figure which basically means liked by uni students and others wishing to emphasise their own higher powers of discernment, the kind of people who go to RSC productions and laugh ostentatiously at Shakespeare's jokes.

You don't need a hook for Cutler's "humour". Just a bin.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

BBC7 Host: Unfortunately Samuel Beckett plays are not cleared for broadcast on BBC7. We have made several approaches to the agent.

FRANK: No great loss - and it'll keep the suicidal depression rate down!

FUCK OFF

Harfyyn Teuport

Oh, fuck fuck fuck off.

But...

Quote[T]he laughs were more on the intellectual plane than the belly level"

That is a classy turn of phrase.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Should the probation service change?

QuoteThis is easy, we live in barbaric times, we need barbaric punishments - bring back the death penalty

Gareth, Birmingham

Yes, it's that easy isn't it, you dick.

Have you seen signs of spring?

QuoteSpring? No - Grey,cold and dreary. Like the last 5 months - Just the mindless moronic trudge from home to work - no one smiles,no one laughs.More taxes,more rules,more bureaucracy - and we call this life Pah!

Peter, Newbury

Was Prince Charles right to call for tolerance between Islam and the West?

QuoteIslam this, Islam that....I would be able to get on quite happily with my ordinary, bog-standard, (western) life if it wasn't for eminent liberals.
Stephen Richards, London

Borboski

QuoteAny child who does not want to go to school should not be forced to go as they only end up disturbing everyone else. However, it should be made quite clear to them that they will be unable to claim any money from the benefits schemes as they have chosen to make themselves unemployable.

Ah well, that's that sorted then.  I mean, it's not as though people whom we have given no education at all, and that we don't allow any access to benefits, might conceivably cause problems within society, after all, we've have made "it quite clear to them"...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI believe we should boycott all general elections until we, the voter gets a democracy in power that is accontable to us.

[Emulated], Bournemouth, United Kingdom

What?

Mister Cairo

From the Prince Charles thread

QuoteHe is absolutely right. Tolerance is need of the hour.

From the Probation thread

QuoteWhat would happen if the staff of London zoo decided to allow their lions to wander down Londons Oxford street, calming the population by informing them that they were keeping the lions under close watch?

Consignia

Has anyone read the Probation one today? I counted two responses out of all of them that didn't sound like they were written by rabid Daily Mail readers or worse.

Artemis

Quote from: "Jaimie Brooks, Newton Hall"I don't understand why we need a budget every year. Surely everything should be sorted out in the first year of the government and then just let it happen and go on for the rest of it. I just don't understand.
In your last four words lie the clue, Jaimie. I suspect a spelling mistake in your own name, too....

chand

Quote from: "Mark from Hednesford"As a working man I'd like to see all pensioners under a certain level of income to be exempt from vat on utility bills.

Love the pointless 'as a working man' at the start there. 'Yeah I work, I pay my taxes, so you're gonna fucking listen, alright? If I was unemployed obviously my opinions about whether or not pensioners should starve/freeze to death would be worthless!'.

Quote from: "Tax Cut"Cut taxes, remove red tape, reduce benefits. It works in the Asian Tiger economies, why not here.

Tax Cut

This guy signs his name as 'Tax Cut', just in case you were in any doubt as to what he wanted to happen to taxes.

Quote from: "Steven Martin"I would like to see the chancellor make a budget allowance of several billion pounds to be paid to the Iraqi people as reparation for our part in the illegal invasion of their country and the destruction we have caused.

Note to the censors: This post is relevant to the budget (albeit an unrealistic proposal) and does not break the house rules.

Mr Martin here appears to have added his own disclaimer to ensure his radical opinions aren't censored by the BBC crypto-fascists. Good on him! There are a lot of these characters who just come in and try and make every topic about their own personal political agenda. Like this chap:

Quote from: "BBCMods AreBadAtTheirJob"How about some justification as to why the government allow increases in prices from major companies such as the BBC, but without anything in return, like a decent or even semi decent quality of service!

BBCMods AreBadAtTheirJob

This is in the Budget thread, remember. This fellow seems to think he's gonna subvert the Beeb from the inside with his clever satire. Presumably he thinks the BBC web moderators are just there to delete the subversive posts he makes, which evidently they are bad at. I suspect though, that if the mods got good at their job and deleted all his posts he'd be even angrier.

Quote from: "Stomer Himpson (ah, do you see what he's done there?)"What should the chancellor include in this year's budget?

His resignation (along with the rest of the labour party)

A chap later on in the thread had argued for Brown's resignation in the budget, but he clearly lacked Stomer Himpson's ambition.

And last but not least, an interesting new spin on the word 'voluntary' from someone calling themselves '[wendletrap]':

Quote from: "wendletrap", 3)All those on long term benefit for no good reason to be compelled to do voluntary work/clean litter/re-build the railways etc.

Musicoutoftrousers

Quote from: "chand"(along with the rest of the labour party)

I don't think they'd all fit inside that little briefcase, would they?

JPA

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"

Ha! The moderators, or whoever gets payed to look after this section must be really slack to allow something so tangential.

It's great when this kind of agenda pushing happens on Question Time, especially when the links to their chosen subjects are desperately tenuous;

'Given the farce that Saddams trial has spiralled into, and that 'Saddam' starts with an 'S' just like the word 'School' does - does the panel think it's time teachers were afforded better protection from violent pupils?'

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: "wendletrap", 3)All those on long term benefit for no good reason to be compelled to do voluntary work/clean litter/re-build the railways etc.
[/quote]

You know, easy stuff like rebuliding major transport infastructure.

Blumf

Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "Mark from Hednesford"As a working man I'd like to see all pensioners under a certain level of income to be exempt from vat on utility bills.

Love the pointless 'as a working man' at the start there. 'Yeah I work, I pay my taxes, so you're gonna fucking listen, alright? If I was unemployed obviously my opinions about whether or not pensioners should starve/freeze to death would be worthless!'.

Just to give the Mark guy the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just pointing out that he doesn't mind his taxes going to help hard up coffin dodgers. Kind of saying "I'd happily give part of the fruits of my labour to help make this neglected part of society better off".

However I think your conclusion is probably right...

I've just attempted to post a slightly silly remark on have your say about school reforms.
       But the problem was that the post had to be under five-hundred characters. Hence creating an unspaced, unparagraphed and unpunctuated garbled text message of a comment.
       Hey its good to see the BBC are not just dumbing down when it comes to television, now its on a debate upon education.

Mister Cairo

It's got very heated in the Budget thread, the moderators have stepped in.

QuoteWho will pay for the increased military ?
Well what about the benefits cheques ?
Also they will learn a trade .
Also they will be off the streets and not committing crime and making girls pregnant !!!

Up yours !

Here's a Question-Timesque smart-arse remark

QuoteI have a question for Gordon Brown.

If we all become freeloaders who will pay?

Quote-Abolish Inheritance Taxes
-Confiscate under age girls babies and make the mothers work in the evenings in old peoples homes
-refuse medication to smokers on the NHS
-refuse medication to anyone more than 20% overweight until they do something about their eating habits
-increase duty on lard,oven-ready meals and tobacco

jackie scott, london, United Kingdom

You don`t have many friends do you jackie.You should try and get out more?.Taken off that black uniform would help.

Nazi accusations flying around there.

Jemble Fred

Jackie's not a Nazi. She's clearly just a prick.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"
Quote from: "Jackie 'Confiscate babies' Scott"

Hehe, increased duty on lard, I love it.

'What do these fat bastards eat? Lard and chips, innit!'

SurferGhost

-increase duty on lard
jackie scott, london, United Kingdom

NOOOOOOOOOO! My life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't afford to eat lard anymore!

Catalogue Trousers

jackie scott wrote:

QuoteConfiscate under age girls babies and make the mothers work in the evenings in old peoples homes

Fine grasp of reality and human compassion there. She may not be a Nazi, but I bet that she's been injected with Thatcher's DNA and is being groomed for prime ministership in about a decade's time. You have been warned.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

But who would look after the confiscated babies? Who would look after the old people in the morning? What would the under-age mothers do in the morning? So many questions left unanswered.

Purple Tentacle

Booo!

'Fully moderated' Have Your Say debates are surprisingly boring, the one about that Muslim attention-seeker are disappointingly coherent and reasoned.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well I was thinking the same thing, until:

QuoteThis is another case of political correctness gone mad, all this will do is infuriate more anti-muslim feelings amongst the relgions/races. To take this case to to the European HR, would be a waste of tax payers money, especially when the school has made every effort to "include" dress codes not to offend muslims.

surely its time for Ms Begum to get off the pedistal and let reason and sanity prevail in this matter,

John Kirk, Sheffield

Who exactly is he angry at? I've read it through a few times and it seems to me he can't decide whether it's political correctness gone mad for the school to exclude her for wearing non-uniform or political correctness gone mad for her to not be allowed to wear what she wants.

Oh and:

QuoteWhen in Rome...

Graham Dyke, Romsey

Yes, because vague well-worn half-typed phrases prove everything.

Catalogue Trousers

Confused of Sheffield wrote:

Quotesurely its time for Ms Begum to get off the pedistal

Well, I think that it makes it pretty clear who he's angry at. Namely that vile towelhead bint. How dare she come over here with her foreign clothes! Oh, and of course a pox on the "PC Brigade", they're stopping all of poor John's fun. Diddums.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Budget 2006 'Gems'

QuoteListening to Gordon's pompous, self-congratulatory monologue one begins to wonder why, if the economy under his guidance is in such fantastic shape, he needs to tax us at all.

Mike Smith

QuoteI prophesied a few days ago that Mr Brown would put beer up by "one pence".

Sure enough I have just heard him say he will "put beer up by a pence".

Still hasn't learned that 'penny' is singular and 'pence' is plural.

Still, he's only the Chancellor. Fourth year in a row he's put beer up by "one pence".

Alf Hartigan, Whitby, United Kingdom

Quote"At least "250 extra for child trust funds at age seven".

Exactly why are my taxes being used for savings for childen? Surely this is the job of the parents?

K England

Quotefind some way of penalising the pathetic mothers in their massive cars who drive their fat lazy children the 100yards to school every morning, and create traffic jams which make us full time workers LATE.

Sarah Smith, Doncaster, United Kingdom

That last one just made me giggle, more than anything. "Find some way..." Heheh.

Carlos Tevez

Quote-Abolish Inheritance Taxes
-Confiscate under age girls babies and make the mothers work in the evenings in old peoples homes
-refuse medication to smokers on the NHS
-refuse medication to anyone more than 20% overweight until they do something about their eating habits

100% agree

Shoulders?-Stomach!

im wif him on the LARD someone really 'OUTGHT' to do something about that their getting a way with murder.

----

Back to reality...or rather not:

QuoteOvercrowded trains: Your stories
What are your cramped commuter carriage experiences?

QuoteI once had a train set, and never in 14 years as a child did I get a complaint about overcrowding.

If I could do it then, why can't train operators today.

Think outside the box - ask a child
x
Terry Killeavy, Gotham, United Kingdom

Quotedo what they do in other countries - allow people to hang out of windows and travel on the roof.

Wheres the problem - be creative

Thanks x

Terry Killeavy, Gotham, United Kingdom

Haha!