Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:37:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Art of Noise

Started by 23 Daves, March 21, 2006, 01:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mumbler

Quote from: Ambient SheepA: 12 ZTPS 01 A-4U-1-2- = CLOSELY CLOSELY (ENOUGH'S ENOUGH) 7.15 nearly whatever you want but never quite . . .
B: 12 ZTPS 01 B-4U-1-1- = MOMENT IN LOVE / THE TIME TO HEAR (YOU'RE LISTENING) 13.46 nearly whatever you think but never quite . . .
(However the B-side tracks are in the opposite order to the label, as indeed they are on the white-label version, and despite the title, "Moment in Love" is the full 10-minute version.  Quite disappointing - when I first saw the inter-track gap on the vinyl about 1/4 the way through, I assumed it was going to be the 5-minute "Into Battle" version - which I'm sure I've seen called "Moment in Love" somewhere (the cassette single of "Into Battle"?) - followed by a super-long remix of "A Time To Hear".  Ah well.)

Now, here's a strange thing.  My 12" of Into Battle has the full ten-minutes of Moments In Love (exactly the same as the LP version).  Does this mean there was a different pressing prior to this?  Probably!  I bought my copy at the end of 1984.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"And yeah, it is on "Into Battle" (both vinyl and cassette) that you can find a 1m25s version called "Moment in Love" - that's what I thought was on the 4U disc of "Close-Up" at first.

Yes, the very last track.  Which looks like making its debut on CD in about five weeks time.

[/quote] Wow...look at this, a 1983 USA release of "Moments in Love", with two versions at 7m00s and 4m40s (neither any version I know of!) and two of Beatbox (3m51s, 5m41s).  Dribble...

The first Moments In Love is the same length as the (Beaten) mix (later titled Love on Daft), and the 4.40 version could be the short version which accompanied it on the MIL/Beatbox 12" in 85.

[/quote] the live remix of the Into Battle version that was introduced by Paul Morley as "Beat Box (Diversion Seven)" during a 1984 appearance on BBC Radio 1.[/quote]

Complete guess, but sounds like a Saturday Live appearance.  INFAX is unavailable at the moment, although whether they even list them is not a guarantee.

TOCMFIC

The Art of Noise will always hold a special place in my heart. In February 1985, my parents (well, my mother really. My Dad still apologizes to this day) took me out of my school to shove me in a boarding school. I was 13. A friend who I'd known since I was 5 came round a few days before I was due to shipped off, and bought me the single of "Close (To The Edit)" as a present. We must have played it 20 times that day.

I will always remember that day fondly as it was a pretty miserable time for me.

A few months later the same friend bought "Who's Afraid Of" and I taped it off him. I hated "Moments in Love" and moved it to the end, as the album wouldn't quite fit on one side of a tape. (I always hated spilling an album over to the other side of a tape.) Ironic really, given how much I love it now.

That album was the first one I ever listened to that made my parents say "What the hell IS that?" (A feat only achieved once after that, using Aphex's "Selected Ambient Works Vol 2").

Art of Noise was really my gateway drug into my interest in music. I'd always loved music, but that album was where I was driving along the mainstream road and saw a turning up ahead, and took the road less travelled. Ultimately led to me making my own music, and listening to more obscure artists like Yello, The Orb, Aphex etc... It sowed the seed and expanded my horizons as it was just SO out there and unlike anything I'd ever heard before. It showed me that music didn't have to be the standard pop type stuff. (Until that point, about as far as I got out of the mainstream was Queen!)

Paranoimia was fantastic. I was a big Max fan so hearing that was great. Was hugely disappointed the album didn't have Max on it. In fact after the eye opening/awakening that was the first album, I thought it was a bit wank to be honest. I never wound up with another release from them. But I did pick up "Who's Afraid Of" on CD a few years ago, which I will now have to get out and play.

Speaking of such things... I picked up an album about 12 years ago... I can't remember the title. I BELIEVE it was Ann Dudley who made it. It was music made to represent, if I recall, Egypt (or a country around that way). I can't remember the title, the label, anything. All I remember is it was fantastic, and I'd love to hear it again. (My tape is buried in a box several thousand miles away.) Maybe one of you know it.

So to sum up, while not liking their post "Who's Afraid" catalog, AON are the reason my tastes are so eclectic today, as they showed me that music could be something different and strange.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Speaking of such things... I picked up an album about 12 years ago... I can't remember the title. I BELIEVE it was Ann Dudley who made it. It was music made to represent, if I recall, Egypt (or a country around that way). I can't remember the title, the label, anything. All I remember is it was fantastic, and I'd love to hear it again. (My tape is buried in a box several thousand miles away.) Maybe one of you know it.
That'd be what I mentioned on the previous page (albeit buried near the end of a rather long post):

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"By the way, seeing it mentioned in that Wikipedia entry, I can recommend Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman's collaboration "Songs from the Victorious City". Not mega-wonderful, but good stuff.
Enjoy.  :-)

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Speaking of such things... I picked up an album about 12 years ago... I can't remember the title. I BELIEVE it was Ann Dudley who made it. It was music made to represent, if I recall, Egypt (or a country around that way). I can't remember the title, the label, anything. All I remember is it was fantastic, and I'd love to hear it again. (My tape is buried in a box several thousand miles away.) Maybe one of you know it.
That'd be what I mentioned on the previous page (albeit buried near the end of a rather long post):

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"By the way, seeing it mentioned in that Wikipedia entry, I can recommend Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman's collaboration "Songs from the Victorious City". Not mega-wonderful, but good stuff.
Enjoy.  :-)

To be honest, I saw your post, thought "YIKES! TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" and skimmed it. I wanted to get my bit posted before my kids distracted me.

Now I have to hunt Emule for that...

Holy crap, it's on there! It's funny. I remember buying that album. It was 2 quid or something like that. I picked it up and a mate and I drove down to the beach and listened to it, not knowing what to expect. I can only remember one track (the opener I think. Will post when I've got it downloaded as to which track it was) but remember listening to it a lot at work that week as well.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "The Mumbler"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"A: 12 ZTPS 01 A-4U-1-2- = CLOSELY CLOSELY (ENOUGH'S ENOUGH) 7.15 nearly whatever you want but never quite . . .
B: 12 ZTPS 01 B-4U-1-1- = MOMENT IN LOVE / THE TIME TO HEAR (YOU'RE LISTENING) 13.46 nearly whatever you think but never quite . . .
(However the B-side tracks are in the opposite order to the label, as indeed they are on the white-label version, and despite the title, "Moment in Love" is the full 10-minute version.  Quite disappointing - when I first saw the inter-track gap on the vinyl about 1/4 the way through, I assumed it was going to be the 5-minute "Into Battle" version - which I'm sure I've seen called "Moment in Love" somewhere (the cassette single of "Into Battle"?) - followed by a super-long remix of "A Time To Hear".  Ah well.)
Now, here's a strange thing.  My 12" of Into Battle has the full ten-minutes of Moments In Love (exactly the same as the LP version).  Does this mean there was a different pressing prior to this?  Probably!  I bought my copy at the end of 1984.
No, this might be me getting confused with the 5-minute (actually 4m48s) version of Beatbox.  The  discogs.com listings for both the 12" and the cassette say that Moments In Love is the 10m15s version...and yet, and yet...something in my head keeps saying that on at least one format, probably the cassette, it was only 5 minutes or so long, to balance up the length of the sides.

And indeed, if you look at the images of the cassette inlay, and once you've finished reading the wonderful Morley-prose ("...Art of Noise concluded that all critics have large thumbs..."), you will see that unlike most of their short cassettes, the content WAS split over both sides, rather than being repeated the same on both sides.

If so, then with the lengths as stated on discogs.com that would be

A:   8m59s
B:  14m27s

which is quite a discrepancy, and one I don't remember.  A five-minute version of Moments in Love would even that out quite nicely, wouldn't it?  And the more I think about it, the more that rings a bell.

I do have both the 12" and the cassette, but they're both about 200 miles away and I have nothing to play them on anyway right now.