Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone do reviews?

Started by Mr. Analytical, March 21, 2006, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analytical

Hello all, not sure if it should go in here but I thought I'd give it a go.

I know a number of people have mentionnedthat they do reviews so I thought I'd send out a feeler so to speak.  Does anyone on here write for any decent review sites?  The kind that give you free stuff in order to get you to do reviews?

I ask as I've shifted a lot of my writing to pay sites or US sites which are more prestigious but get you no free stuff and as a result I'm kind of feeling the pinch entertainment wise.

So does anyone know of any decent ones?

Speakers Push The Air used sent me CDs to review (to China!) but I never had the inclination to review them because they were rubbish CDs. I could've sent them back but they were already a bit broken up from the first journey.

I'll do a quick review now just for the purging quality.

Tunng - Songs... - not bad, forgettable.
Comets On Fire - one good clattering psych instrumental, the rest rubbish.
DFA 1979 - Blood On Your Hands - massive sound, zero life-span
Fireworks At Night - Wide Wide Sea - Vague and depressingly mediocre

You see? Waste of time.

lankinpark

I review (very very) occasionally for Drowned in Sound. It's really become a chore. I did establish a fairly good rapport with a PR company who send me CDs every now and then, but it's been months since I had anything decent from them and the novelty's worn off.

I claim the odd freebie from DiS central, but I'm obliged to review whatever I take, even if it turns out to be too bland to form an opinion on. It took me two weeks to muster up enough energy to tackle Nick Cave's The Proposition OST, and I quite enjoyed that.

Still, I got some Killing Joke reissues for nowt last year. Mustn't grumble.