Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

calmdownkidder.com // British TV website

Started by Go With The Flow, March 22, 2006, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go With The Flow

I suggested (in here) that there should be a TV Critique website, with news, reviews, dvd reviews etc (Imagine Joblo.com but based on British TV)

A point to raise is - will it be TV in general, or firmly comedy based?

I have the URL and hosting at calmdownkidder.com, is this a good enough domain? (will people be turned off by a TV site that has a Harry Enfield scouser quote as the name?)

If anyone is interested, please post here.

ffogems

I think the scope should be as wide as possible, encompassing every component of telly there is.
There is the problem of determining what gets 'published', and who judges the pieces.

I suggest that you allow a small number (perhaps initially a first come, first served basis) of people to act as moderators/reviewers for the pieces. The roles can then be circulated every couple of months or so with those who wish to take their place. That way you have a diversity of opinion for each piece as well as an interchangable set of 'critics'.

EDIT- I'd also suggest that those appointed contribute to hosting fees, not only to lighten the load but also to deter the frivolous.

Go With The Flow

They're some good points, I like the "contributors have to donate" idea, means hopefully only genuine people will come forward.

I was thinking the same about the "a small number of mods/reviewers..." point, as  it couldn't be a one-man job.

Should the TV Criticism be Analogue, Freeview or Sky/Cable?

I was thinking Freeview, as the range on 1-5 seems too little, and including the range of Sky seems too much. Lots of people have Freeview as well, as opposed to a limited (well, not that limited) amount on digital.

How much of the day's TV would be included? We couldn't exactly do everything, would it be a selection of 4-5 'major' programmes like most newspapers?

ffogems

Well, I'd say go for any programme. There can be reviews but also slightly more journalistic pieces about people's experiences with television (five hour stints of BId-up TV, for example).  It would be nice to see all sorts of pieces being written.

Mr. Analytical

Hmmm... problem with reviewing TV is that there's little point in reading it if the review appears after the TV programme.

If you write DVD or Book reviews you can afford to not get the review out before the product because someone can always go and pick the product up later.

With TV if you miss the thing being reviewed then you've got to wait for DVD or go to UK Nova, there's little to be gained from reading about how great that documentary was last night when you'll never legally get to see it unless they repeat it.

I can see a kind of pop-cultural-criticism thing working where you talk about pop cultural phenomena but unless you have preview tapes, I think you'll struggle to be honest.

So you could start by doing journalistic articles and reviewing existing DVDs but I think it'l be problematic in the long run largely because while there's the PR infrastructure in place to support independent DVD and book reviewing, it doesn't exist for TV.

Mind you I don't agree with what Alan Strang said in the original thread.  I've been writing reviews online for a couple of years now and for some quite big sites and I've never felt editorial pressure.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Hmmm... problem with reviewing TV is that there's little point in reading it if the review appears after the TV programme.

If you write DVD or Book reviews you can afford to not get the review out before the product because someone can always go and pick the product up later.

You do have a very good point there, but  there are lots of post-TV articles, there's one in the G2 everyday. (There are other similar articles in other papers, there's one in my local paper)

With the BBC carrying out a massive online archive, we could post links from the site to various programmes. The other channels may start doing a similar scheme soon. Since we'd be an independent site, we could put links to various torrent sites without advertising pressure.

We'd also be writing news stories, and DVD reviews so there would be some of them available to purchase. There would also be lots of special articles, such as the hardcore-bid-up-tv idea someone posted previously.

wheatgod

URLs are of little importance, really. I mean, CaB isn't such an eyecatching URL, but we still gobble it up. Get content people want to view, and you'll get hits. Simple as.

Lee

Quote from: "ffogems"There can be reviews but also slightly more journalistic pieces about people's experiences with television (five hour stints of BId-up TV, for example).
I've done four hour stints on The Great Big British Quiz in the past, can I write something?

I'm not joking, I will write something about it if you like.

Cack Hen

I don't know if I would have anything long-term to contribute but if you do decide to accept one-off reviews, I've been wanting to spill my guts over BBC One's Breakfast for a while now.

That's probably not very helpful but I'm just thinking out loud.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Lee"
I've done four hour stints on The Great Big British Quiz in the past, can I write something?

I'm not joking, I will write something about it if you like.

Yeah, that's fantastic! Start writing, as I'd like to think the site will be up and running (well, more of a slow jogging) by April.

Lee

OK, tomorrow I've got a free day. I'm going to relive the whole nauseating experience again, just for you.

Go With The Flow

http://www.calmdownkidder.com/modules.php?name=Forums

The forums are open. I presume that will be a better place to chat for now.

The Duck Man

ffogems

Right. I'm gonna have a go at a Quizmania stint sometime soon, watching it from beginning to end and writing about how stupid I feel after.

Go With The Flow

If there are any graphic designers willing to help with a logo or anything, I would truly be grateful. I'm absolutely crap at images and the like.

John Self

Quote from: "ffogems"Right. I'm gonna have a go at a Quizmania stint sometime soon, watching it from beginning to end and writing about how stupid I feel after.

Heh- this sounds promising, I know I'd want to read it. Do it ffogems, go on- fill your head with bullshit and fry your brain for a few solid 4-hour sessions: do it for the greater good!

Go With The Flow

The forums have a "volunteering" topic - so if there's anything you'd like to review, please post saying what.

Go With The Flow

The first item is up - A Shaun of the Dead DVD review, by the talented Willyeckaslike. Go on, read it!

fudgemonkey

I'm registered, and I'm giving you a download of some great stuff I found now if you're interested.

Lee

I'm writing my TGBBQ article at the moment in drips and drabs... expect it to arrive in, oh, 2 months.

Go With The Flow

How embarrasing - I had to install the CMS again. Please re-register! I'm really sorry about this.

The Duck Man

There's something strangely hypnotic about this woman on TGBBQ:

Great first review, although I don't agree with the Adam and Joe criticism!

Mr. Analytical

Um... can I be a Mark Corrigan and make a party-pooping but constructive criticism?

If you're going to do reviews you really should think about not using forum software but instead giving each review its own page.  It looks better, feels more professional and it'll also allow you to exert some degree of editorial control.

You're asking people to spend time writing reviews and articles, in cases where you're not giving them stuff for free, the reward is frequently just having your name in print on a website with editorial control.

If you're just using forum software someone might wonder why they shouldn't just come to any forum and post what they think about whatever TV programme.  It's the difference between a web magazine and a discussion forum really.

My favourite website of the kind is //www.sfsite.com it might prove inspirational.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"
1 If you're going to do reviews you really should think about not using forum software but instead giving each review its own page.  It looks better, feels more professional and it'll also allow you to exert some degree of editorial control.

2 You're asking people to spend time writing reviews and articles, in cases where you're not giving them stuff for free, the reward is frequently just having your name in print on a website with editorial control.

1 Each review does get their own page, Shaun of the Dead review
I can only use PHP-Nuke because I don't have the time/money to make a custom built website.

2 I don't have the resources to Give you free stuff - I'm only starting out.

What's Fudgemonkeys about?

That's slightly unhinged.