Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Awfully Big Cricket Thread

Started by butnut, March 10, 2004, 02:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butnut

Here's another attempt by me, to get some cricket discussion going on here. But, like many from the past, I fully expect this one to slowly, slowly fall.

But us cricket fans are in for a great month or so. Firstly, there's the current series in Sri Lanka. With SL seemingly dominating the Aussies on the first 2 days, the match, thanks to Warne and Hayden, is set up to be a real cracker:

QuoteAustralia 220 & 193/2 (67.0 ov)
Sri Lanka 381
Australia lead by 32 runs with 8 wickets remaining

If Australia get a lead of 150-200, then it could be a fascinating fourth innings. Plus, just to add the extra ingredient, there's the race to 500 wickets between Warne and Murali:

Next, there's England vs. West Indies, which kicks off tomorrow afternoon I think. And everyone thinks it could be a really close series. Both teams seem to have fairly strong batting line-ups, certainly in comparission with their bowling attacks. Although, being an English fan, I fully expect the batting to crumble again. But I do have a sneaky suspision that Giles might do quite well out there.

And there's also a series between South Africa and New Zealand that's just started, and coming soon... Pakistan vs. India...

Bilko

The England Windies series is good because the days play starts around 3.00pm so you'll get to watch more of the match even if England were playing at home. The Aussie series are terrible to watch because they usually start around midnight.

As for England taking on the WIndies the Windies have been almost as bad as England, but England are total horrible overseas. Everytime England tour they get slaughtered and the press at the start of the Englands home series use this as a 'New Start', Engalnd giving youth a chance. I think I've seen this happen 10 times in the last 15 years. I think the windies will win the series 2-1 or 3-1.

Krang

QuoteTHE BELLS! THE BELLSSSS!!!

butnut

Quote from: "Krang"

QuoteTHE BELLS! THE BELLSSSS!!!

No-Ball! No-Baaaalllllll!

butnut

Shit - I've just realised it's not on Test Match Special. Those bastards at talksport have - complete with annoying adverts and the even more annoying Jack bannister ( http://www.talksport.net/content/3660.chtml )

Balls.

Anyway, the aussies are doing well again in Sri Lanka. Live update from me:

QuoteAustralia 220 & 374/3 (118.0 ov)
Sri Lanka 381
Australia lead by 213 runs with 7 wickets remaining

Bilko

Quote from: "butnut"Shit - I've just realised it's not on Test Match Special. Those bastards at talksport have - complete with annoying adverts and the even more annoying Jack bannister

Jack Bannister maybe bad but he has nothing on Chris Cowdrey. I mean Chris Cowdrey!!!!, this man has the most boring dull voice I have ever had the displeasure to hear. All his 'points' are Narcissistic based upon his Test match career which was 2 or 3 matches. They only reason people like this get a media job is because some producer thinks 'He played test matches, the public will respect his views'. NOOOOOOOOO we do not he gives no insight, tell us nothng we didn't already know and can't describe anything.

butnut

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "butnut"Shit - I've just realised it's not on Test Match Special. Those bastards at talksport have - complete with annoying adverts and the even more annoying Jack bannister

Jack Bannister maybe bad but he has nothing on Chris Cowdrey. I mean Chris Cowdrey!!!!, this man has the most boring dull voice I have ever had the displeasure to hear. All his 'points' are Narcissistic based upon his Test match career which was 2 or 3 matches. They only reason people like this get a media job is because some producer thinks 'He played test matches, the public will respect his views'. NOOOOOOOOO we do not he gives no insight, tell us nothng we didn't already know and can't describe anything.

Oh god - you've reminded me. And he always does massive plugs for the betting company he works for, and keeps droning on about all the odds on various things. And I hate the 'forced' playfulness they try and get on talkshit. It's not TMS you idiots.

And don't forget who his father was - still goes a long way in this country.

butnut

BOWLED 'IM!!!!

Harmison gets Gayle! Hooray. Great start from England.

Bilko

Fucking Giles what a pile of shit. Did OK in Sri Lanka on spinning wickets get him on a batting wicket then this happens, 20 off 2 overs.

England are going great. Great to see them getting off to a fantastic start on the first day of the frist test. 163-4.

gazzyk1ns

My mate spent the day getting paid to do his phd, but not doing it... instead, he gambled on the cricket. He was just betting constantly on "next man out" apparently, he is 8 quid up at the moment. £1 initial stake, then he'll gamble his winnings on the next and he's not lost yet. It's with BlueSq if anyone fancies a pop. I don't, as I know very little about cricket.

It's one of those sports I wish I was more "into", but I only like watching it when it's England in a fairly important game, or I'm down at the local cricket ground in the summer having beers/playing footy with mates. That's more about the social occasion and the fact that it's local though. Ah well, at least I don't pretend like a lot of footy/rugby "fans" do these days.

butnut

Well, England did quite well. 311-9 or whatever it is, not bad. Let's see how they bat.

Prediction: Warne will get to 500 wickets tomorrow, and the Auzzies will win.

Bilko

Quote from: "butnut"Prediction: Warne will get to 500 wickets tomorrow, and the Auzzies will win.

Right with the Warne one, 501 for him now. Walsh has 517 and hold the record

The best bowler I've ever seen, the greatest spinner ever.

hoverdonkey

I thought Walsh had 519? I could be wrong. Anyway, enjoying today's play a lot.

Butch and Naz have done very well. Shame about the rain

Bilko

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"I thought Walsh had 519? I could be wrong. Anyway, enjoying today's play a lot.

Your right Walsh did get 519, either way Warne and Murali will both go way past that.

butnut

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"I thought Walsh had 519? I could be wrong. Anyway, enjoying today's play a lot.

Butch and Naz have done very well. Shame about the rain

And shame that Butch got out at the end.

Let's just hope there's no fuck up from England today - and that the Windies don't find any more demon fast bowlers.

butnut

Bloody Hell, it's raining in the West indies now!

As for Warne - I remember my jaw dropping as I watched this:

hoverdonkey

Yeah, I remember that well. Remember shivering at the thought of Warne terrorising England batsmen for years to come and guess what....

wasp_f15ting

India was fucking evil for doing that to me... good day for the fielders. Good win that, and a very close match.

hoverdonkey

It was a sensational game though waspy. A really good occasion from what I could see too.

butnut

Oh, surprise surprise - England's batsmen get themselves out to silly shots...

butnut

WI - 16-4!!!!!!

Funny how quickly things change,

Tokyo Sexwhale

West Indies having an England-style batting collapse.  Sarwan, Chanderpaul and LARA all out for ducks!

butnut

21-5!!!

<dances round the room!!!>

Bilko

Yesssssssssssssssss

Only the weather can stop us going 1 up against the Windies. Hope I am not speaking to soon.

butnut

40 something for 7 now. Harmison has a 5-for.

What's going on?

butnut

43 - 9 now. England have EIGHT slips!?!?!??!?!??!?

EDIT - and now 47 all out. England need 20 to win.

Harmison: 12.3-8-12-7. I think those figures should be memoried by all the schoolboys in the country.

Bilko

I am expecting some failed drug test in the coming days/weeks by England players.

But seriously, 47 all out that was the total, or something very near it that England out bowled out for by Ambrose in 1994. Revenge. 1-0 up against the Windes in the Windies History for England.

Lowest test score of all time by the Windies, no less

Captain Mildred

That was bloody fantastic. What with the Mancs losing to Citeh and the Scousers going down to the Saints, what could possibly top this sporting day?

Oh wait - Wrestlemania starts in but three hours...

Bilko

Second Test starts today, England look like going in with the same team. C'mon England.