Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Newbie Turntable Questions...

Started by mrpants, March 10, 2004, 03:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpants

Partly inspired by a thread on the old board and a long time want for one, I bought a 1210 Mk5 the other day (a snip at £280 for a 3 month old one), trouble is, I'm having a few problems...

Firstly, I'm not entirely sure how to balance the tone arm.  The manual says that the tone arm should be sitting perfectly horizontal, but how do you get the arm down to the record if it's weighted to be like that?

Secondly, I don't know what's a good setting for the stylus pressure.  I've got a Ortofon Pro S I think, but it doesn't say anything on their website.

Thirdly, whenever I play anything on it, it sounds really distorted and horrible.  It's not an earth hum, just really distorted.  Is this a stylus problem?

Forthly, what kind of slipmats are recommended for scratching?

I'd appreciate any help because I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet that answers my questions.  Most places seem to take it as a given that people know all this stuff.

Thanks!

NattyDread

I've not done this for a while, but basically:

Put a cover over the stylus, or put on an old record, so the stylus can't touch the slip mat. Now adjust the weight on the arm so that it balances freely (i.e. stays put without veering up/down/left/right).
Once you've done this, set the counter balance dial to zero.
A quick glance on t'net shows your stylus has a tracking force range of 3.0-5.0g, so put it to 4.0 by turning the weight. That should be it.

If it's still fuzzy sounding, you might need to realign your cartridge.
There's a protractor you can print out and use here

mrpants

So I should adjust the tone arm weight so it hangs freely in a horizontal position, then adjust the counter balance to 4?  That should get it sitting on the record right?

Do you think this is why the sound is so distorted?

Thanks for the reply, do you know of any online resources that can help me with similar questions?  I can't seem to find any...

NattyDread

Yes, adjust the weight so that the arm is steady, set the dial to 0 (without moving the weight) then move the weight with the dial to 4.

The fuzziness is probably down to the wrong weight being set, but as I said above, if you still have problems, your cartridge might need realigned.

Afraid I don't know of many sites. the link I gave to the site with the protractor might give you some tips, but I doubt there's much there about Dj-ing.

mrpants

Great, thanks again for the help.