Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:48:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skies and Landscapes ( your photos of )

Started by Almost Yearly, March 10, 2004, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

Stick 'em 'ere, why don't you. I really liked some of the ones on this thread, from which I have taken liberties, below.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "mook"

Quote from: "jutl"

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"

Quote from: "fanny splendid"

Quote from: "Timmay"

Quote from: "ccab"

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"

mook

Purple Tentacle

It's terrible, my most hated video special effect of all time is "lens flare", used by every fucking idiot with a copy of After Effects (I'm not kidding, next time an ad break comes on, look for the lens flare), and as a consequence whenever I see a picture of the sun, I just think "I hate that effect, it's sooooo cheap".

Didn't someone say that sometimes when they look at a sunset they think "ooooh, nice graphics"?

Those are all very good by the way.

monkhouse terror

To please mr. Tentacle (I also hate lens flare) here are these, done on a horrible rainy afternoon out in the middle of nowhere in Scotland with a crappy digital camera I got free with my printer:

wu be eel

bah, none of that pansy pretty colour thing. this is my take on the 'sky/landscape' theme, theyre a bit harsh and probably dont count but tough. taken either on hols int dales, of the view form my old house, or lying on my back last summer...

hope theyre not too boring. i kinda like the idea of getting smelly people, buildings, cars etc in nicey nicey photos. seems its better to show things as they are than as we'd want. maybe i shouls start a 'dirsty smally photos thread.' im all for pretty swiwly colours and those pics above are amazing... but i, too, often think how someone could just draw it up on a computer rather than stand there pressing a button. which is an incredible shame (and no intended insult!) Ahem :S

Capuchin

I can't remember if I said so the first time round, but jutl's misty valley  pic is beautiful.
But it also looks like the dawn of armageddon, dead walking the earth and that.
Ominous.
I wish I had a camera.

sproggy

Here's a picture I took a couple of weeks ago, I arrived home from work and managed to dash into the house, grab my camera and snap this.  It's the contrail of an F15 probably burning off excess fuel prior to landing at RAF Lakenheath.  I find it interesting how such a destructive contraption can create something of beauty.

I considered posting it in Ghandi's sticky thread as 'the ringpiece of God' but thought better of it.

Almost Yearly

Really like it.

Really like wu be eel's last two as well.

And yeah, Capuchin: jutl's caught the dawn of the Day of Judgement there and no mistake. I don't suppose we've got time for a quick repent?

Yeah ok I've wellied the contrast on this, which was in fact taken on the greyest of days. That castle thingummy just demands to be the centre of attention no matter where you're coming from. Keep staring and eventually the BBC balloon will drift past.

One day I will live there and you can all come to my housewarming. This one's actually not tweaked - I like the way the break in the clouds is off camera. Looks like the place has been turned to gold by the rainbow. Or am I soft?

Almost Yearly

Love that penultimate one: first thing I thought was "many-mooned planet."

sproggy

jutl That first one is taken from the top of Portland Bill is it not?  I used to live across the bay in Wyke Regis, lovely place to live but no decent jobs.

jutl

Quote from: "sproglette"jutl That first one is taken from the top of Portland Bill is it not?  I used to live across the bay in Wyke Regis, lovely place to live but no decent jobs.

Yeah, it's from Tout Quarry, at the top of Portland. Great place, although Weymouth seemed a bit of a wankpit. Tout is a sculptor's quarry, with lots of cool bits of arty-work just lying about. I'll look some pictures out...

jutl

Don't know who did any of them, except for the fourth one, which was carved by Anthony Gormley who made The Angel of the North.

Oh and AY that first one of yours is brilliant...

Almost Yearly

Mm. I'd like to thank God...

And as for yours, rightclicksaveasprinttakehometosculptress. Where are they? I'm reminded of this pair of rock formations in Koh Samui, Thailand. The Thais call them "grandpa & grandma". You can rely on me to bring the tone down, yessiree. And here's the Thai replica of St Michael's Mount, including causeway and Chapel rock (right). Uncanny. These aren't my photos, they're postcards, so that's why I'm only linking them.

jutl

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Mm. I'd like to thank God...

And as for yours, rightclicksaveasprinttakehometosculptress. Where are they?

Tout Quarry on Portland - it's an almost-used-up Portland Stone quarry which now belongs to a sort of arty-cooperativey thing who do sculpture training and have real sculptors in to knock their rocks about. I was there on holiday back in Sept 2002, and was thus forced to download the 'September Dossier' over my mobile phone while sitting among those rocks...

Uncle Gripper

they are all from my £100 digickal camera, all my 'bestest' pics reside on slides, i am getting a loan of a slide scanner very soon, so watch this space!

sproggy

I like the finger one*.  Reminds me of the Cadburys Cream Egg advert 'How do you eat yours?'

*I take it those are your kids in the picture?  I wouldn't like to think I've been exposed to some sort of sick pre-child abuse evidence.

Uncle Gripper

of course they are, dna test results pending of course :)

Lt Plonker

Uncle Gripper, you seem to be under surveillance in most of your photos. I'd suggest you stop what you're doing and make a break for South America before they close in.

Here are some from my holiday in Wales.

That's my dad in the way.

Somewhere near Porthmadog.

A War Memorial in Porthmadog, I think.

The beach in Portmeirion.

sore bottom mum

fanny splendid

You've got a great line in compression going on there, SBM!

Do you have a higher resolution version of the bridge picture?

sore bottom mum

Quote from: "fanny splendid"

Do you have a higher resolution version of the bridge picture?

Sorry, cheep scanner!...

ccab

3 scenes from the edge of the world, which as you've probably already heard is peopled with lamposts, antennae and sentry crows.  

(btw AY - try messing around with the levels gamma slider instead of whacking up the contrast. eg -

or something saturnine & ulsterly:

)

fanny splendid

or something utterly engaging and beautiful...

mook

Or something cheapened beyond belief by some numpty with a hangover and a schoolboy sense of humour.....

fanny splendid

Heh, heh, heh!

That approaching wave will cool their ardour...

wasp_f15ting

@ssmaster

wu be eel did you ever noticed a large Noel Edmonds lurking around your neighbourhood?