Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Come Along Now, Let's Have A Little Bit Less..."

Started by TJ, April 03, 2006, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Has anyone ever done a full list of what material was in the VHS releases of "The Smell Of Reeves And Mortimer" that wasn't in the television versions (and therefore isn't on the DVDs either)?

Purple Tentacle

Alan the Foul Mouthed Fox is unbleeped.

'The London Borough of bloody Lewisham!'
'Cobblers!'

EDIT: Shit, sorry, that's Big Night Out. Ignore me.

TJ

Actually, now that I think about it, it was only the first series tapes that had extra material. But that's still forty minutes worth of material that's disappeared into format history...

From memory, wasn't there at least one extra Mulligan & O'Hare song? And a looser edit of Noel's Addicts?

Purple Tentacle

'Obscured by weeds' was the extra Mulligan and O'Hare song.

From memory..

'As I gaze into a pool to see a reflection of me
I'm constantly frustrated by the presence of too many weeds
However hard I try to brush them aside
They constantly return to frustrate me'

Vic growls the last two words, to comic effect.

He's kneeling by a pond covered by weeds, but when the camera pulls out, the pond is free of weeds except for the bit he's kneeling beside. Laughter ensues.

There's loads more, but I'm at work at the mo.

Jemble Fred

Like I said in t'other thread, there were also scenes missing from the videos which were in the broadcast episodes, so neither version was definitive.

But I can't remember specifically what they are, and I also am at work. Sorry. But it's worth noting.

TJ

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Like I said in t'other thread, there were also scenes missing from the videos which were in the broadcast episodes, so neither version was definitive.

Only the small amount of stuff that was cut for certificate/PRS-related reasons, wasn't it?

Jemble Fred

It was certainly enough to get very pissed off about. Not just trimmings here and there. If the subject had come up a few years ago I'd know exactly what was cut, but my R&M memorybanks have gone to seed in recent years.

TJ

It's probably better to keep this thread restricted to the extra stuff that appeared on the videos, though, if we're going to get this list together.

benthalo

I only picked up the series 1 VHS a year or so back and have never bothered to go through them, but I'm sure I was told that all of Rebecca Front's bits were cut. Even her wonderful Jilly Goolden impression?

Purple Tentacle

OK, off the top of my head:

Vic and Bob speaking over the copyright notice at the beginning of the video (to be fair, this would be an understandable omission)

Quack Quack the Homebrew Duck

Charlie Higson at the end of episode 1 sitting in an empty screening cinema in a kilt, clapping and sarcastically saying 'Well done, that's terrible funny'.

'Booze for Baby' on the Antiques Roadshow, where Vic demonstrates a fag trick to Rebecca Front 'that I learned from a mobster'.

Extended 'Slade in Residence' where all THREE have their breath tested by Dave Hill (with the running gag of them all having eaten 'a half pound chedder')

'You're nothing but a spring onion'
'I know I am, but that's no gonna stop me ROCKING!' from the PIFs.

I BELIEVE this is an extra, a series of Doctors gathering round pregnant Bob eating cream horns. Features Matt Lucas.

The 'no no' guy from Vicar of Dibley painting a spitfire, then oggling at a camera and saying 'Whaddya think of that then?? Yuk yuk yuk' and strides off.

I THINK Bob's beautiful cut-glass decanter (filled with his grandmother's juices) was an extra

Oh there's loads, sorry, I'll come up with more, I've got the scriptbook at home.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I BELIEVE this is an extra, a series of Doctors gathering round pregnant Bob eating cream horns. Features Matt Lucas.
I don't think Matt Lucas is in this. AFAIK he didn't start doing stuff with them till series 2.

(Isn't John Thomson one of the doctors? Maybe that's who you were thinking of.)

QuoteOh there's loads, sorry, I'll come up with more, I've got the scriptbook at home.
Mind out that the scriptbook is put together from an earlier draft of the script, it's got some stuff in it that wasn't even filmed/included in the full edits, as well stuff that differentiates a bit from the final sketches.

Purple Tentacle

Christ, all of Boit Reynolds as well. Jesus.

edit: I am PRETTY sure it's Matt Lucas as one of the doctors, but not 100%. I've actually decommissioned my VHS player to 'under the bed', i might have to reconnect it again.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but was the Martin Clunes/Elephant Man fruit advert in the original transmission?

Oh, the intro to the Antiques Roadshow is about 2 seconds longer, the carriage clock is hit a couple of times before it starts. I actually prefer the cut edit.

Purple Tentacle

A couple more, 99% sure about these.

After they present Quack Quack, Bob falls over a la BNO. He's broken 'this leg... here, and this leg......here'. Vic asks him to be more careful in future.

Noddy Holder plays 'Guess the country' with his sideburns. It's India.

edit: Also, in Ep3, with all the newspaper headlines flying at the screen, there are a couple of extra ones. Memory escapes me which ones they are, help?

edit: Hooray, I'm famous!  When you google 'extra Reeves and Mortimer', you get
View topic - Reeves & Mortimer On DVD in 2006
Reeves and Mortimer can go and drown in a massive vat of cocaine, the cunts. ... But with each extra comes a pricetag and a further delay for clearances etc ...
chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic. php?p=460512&sid=5bfc3e14f373bf586a32c92a2e85b4ad - 95k - Cached - Similar pages

keir

i remember the guess the country sideburns, and i'm pretty sure i only ever saw it on tv or videos recorded thereof.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "benthalo"I only picked up the series 1 VHS a year or so back and have never bothered to go through them, but I'm sure I was told that all of Rebecca Front's bits were cut. Even her wonderful Jilly Goolden impression?

Her Goolden bit the dust, but she's all present and correct in Show 2's Antiques Roadshow send-up.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteQuack Quack the Homebrew Duck

What? He's not on the DVD? I'm outraged!

"...and look - he's saying 'Crikey Quack Quack, it's 'TREE'-mendously 'DUCK'-licious'!"

I love that bit!

Purple Tentacle

All my listings are based on me memorising the changes when I bought the VHS when I was 13, and are not concrete certainties by any means. I have no intention of buying the DVD on principle.

TotalNightmare

I will reinmentionalize this....

if anyone decides to encode the RED/BLUE videos to DVD, i will happily pay for costs to nab a copy.

Naughty i know, but then i can at least buy the DVDs brought out officially and have them in the same box for 'the hell of it'

Are the 'lets have a little bit more' songs cut down from broadcast?

Also, im sure the number of adverts within the show are fewer on the broadcast version.

Despite it all, i miss Boit Reynolds the most!

This is actually shittier than the BNO discussions although both are distressingly arse-clentching in their sheer fucking oddity.

Why have 'more' on the Monkeytrousers and Bob commentaries and FUCK ALL and LESS on the actually GOOD Vic and Bob material.

This is a dark day indeed.

Ever over exaggerating,

TN

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I'm not 100% sure about this, but was the Martin Clunes/Elephant Man fruit advert in the original transmission?

This was definitely, definitely included in the original transmission.  It must have been a last minute thing though, as it's not included in the script book.

One of the extras from the VHS is 'At home with Uncle Peter', though it's been a while since I've seen it, so I can't remember what it entails.

Clinton Morgan

Has anyone commented about how unfunny the DVD cover is compared to the original series one VHS covers? If not then can I be the first? I mean, look.

It's Morcambe and Wise for the nineties versus

"They're rubbish!" "I don't understand it!" "What's going on?" "Is that meant to be funny?" "I can't stand them!"

I presume the commentaries over the warning scroll and BBC ident are not on the DVD. " Nice bit of black there."

Milo

It used to be a 15 certificate!

EDIT: Damn, hate these orphaned top-of-the-page posts.

Darrell

Quote from: "Milo"It used to be a 15 certificate!

It didn't - I have the proper versions of both releases here and they're PG. Those Videolog scans must be from draft copies.

Milo

Ray Le Otter

Didn't the Rebecca Front stuff get dropped because of her sniffing aerosols? That was a nono as far as the BBFC was concerned.

On the subject of extra stuff, a lot of the the Roger Cook stuff at the Reeves & Mortimer warehouse wasn't in the series but was on the videos.

ProvanFan

I didn't realise quite how much of the videos was extra material. Burt Reynolds and the spring onion are two of my favourite R&M things.

Have I invented this, or was the video version of the Lovejoy interview a different take from the broadcast version?

John Self

Wasn't there a part where Vic is dressed as Brian May (peanut-shells on a lovely red cape), and he dances with his Guy Fawkes'd legs to Total Eclipse Of The Heart, that was missing from the original transmission?

Oh, and I'm reasonably certain that there was a tiny section of dialogue in the original transmission that had Bob trying to get Vic's attention by saying, "Vic? Vic? Vic... toria?", that was cut from the VHS version. Which was a shame- though it only lasted about two seconds, made me laugh.

Marvin

Fuck I'd forgotten how much of the good stuff was in the extra material. Smell Of series 1 is pretty much one of my favourite bits of television ever so it's pretty depressing how little effort has gone into this DVD.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "john self"Wasn't there a part where Vic is dressed as Brian May (peanut-shells on a lovely red cape), and he dances with his Guy Fawkes'd legs to Total Eclipse Of The Heart, that was missing from the original transmission?

That was definitely in the original transmission. (Hehe, it was I need a Hero by the way)

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "john self"Wasn't there a part where Vic is dressed as Brian May (peanut-shells on a lovely red cape), and he dances with his Guy Fawkes'd legs to Total Eclipse Of The Heart, that was missing from the original transmission?

That was definitely in the original transmission. (Hehe, it was I need a Hero by the way)

I thought that was missing from the VHS due to clearance problems.

I can't recall but is the Stars In Their Eyes sketch in Series Two now complete on the DVD? I'm sure it was cut on the VHS.

Goldentony

QuoteI thought that was missing from the VHS due to clearance problems.

The 'I Need A Hero' bit is defenitely on the copy of Red i've got upstairs