Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Come Along Now, Let's Have A Little Bit Less..."

Started by TJ, April 03, 2006, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TotalNightmare

You see, this is why im happy to buy the DVDs but also make sure my VHS copies are preserved on the same format.

So i can have my comedy cake and comedy eat it.

Im sure on the TV broadcast of the 2nd Series of Smell of, there was a scene where Vic (or Bob) wanted his spine buffed up and it was unzipped from him. On the VHS it ends there, but on the broadcast version it has him (or Bob) flopping around to 'Its Not Unusual' by Tom Jones RIP.

Its little variations like that that make we want it all.

And yes, the first series of SMELL OF is possibly one of my all time favourite moments in TV history.

John Self

Yep, that spineless dancing was fantastic: it's annoying when they cut stuff like that because of clearance problems. Like the moment in the second series ( I think) where Vic plays a shop-mannekin's arm like a trumpet: they've changed the music in the VHS version, and it's the tune of 'In An English Country Garden', which is significantly (at least 3.2 points, in fact) less funny than the original tune. Does anyone know what it is, incidentally?

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "john self"Wasn't there a part where Vic is dressed as Brian May (peanut-shells on a lovely red cape), and he dances with his Guy Fawkes'd legs to Total Eclipse Of The Heart, that was missing from the original transmission?

That was definitely in the original transmission. (Hehe, it was I need a Hero by the way)

Ah, so you didn't see the bit where he also danced to Total Eclipse Of The Heart, then? Well, looks like you missed out there, Mr. Memoriser, didn't you?

yeah all right I got it wrong on both counts: all I can say in my defence is that your life is short, you're marooned on a speck and one day you'll have to bury your parents

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "john self"the moment in the second series ( I think) where Vic plays a shop-mannekin's arm like a trumpet: they've changed the music in the VHS version, and it's the tune of 'In An English Country Garden', which is significantly (at least 3.2 points, in fact) less funny than the original tune. Does anyone know what it is, incidentally?
The mega-awesomeness of Spanish Flea, as rendered by Herb Alpert (and probably his Tijuana Brass).

In my funeral song top 10, that one.

John Self

*one quick pirate-raid later*

Wow, cheers Muteki, I've wanted to know that for ages, you've just enhanced the quality of my life! Hehe, this song just makes me smile all over.

Oh, and your funeral sounds like it'll be a blast: can I come?

Purple Tentacle

Any more for any more? I'm going to start extracting the cut bits next week, so a definitive list would really help in making sure I don't miss anything out.

There must be loads from Series 2, but I'm afraid I have a considerably shoddier memory of that series, good though it is. Series 1 was my first love.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "john self"Oh, and your funeral sounds like it'll be a blast: can I come?
Sure! You free next Thursday?

While you've got your cutlass and eye-patch on, go and get Tijuana Taxi as well. It utilises an old car-horn to dazzling effect.

RedboX

Quote from: "Ray Le Otter"
I can't recall but is the Stars In Their Eyes sketch in Series Two now complete on the DVD? I'm sure it was cut on the VHS.

It was cut on the VHS, one "act" was missing, Its a long time ago, but the "act" was a man from Hartlepool who was a murderer.   I cant rember who he was going to be or what he was singing, but I rember reading at the time it had been cut from the VHS as they could'nt get clearance for the song.

Jemble Fred

It was the George Michael mask one, Action-Image-Exchange style, wasn't it?

Morrisfan82

Bill Decker, the murderer. The song would've been Faith by George Michael.

"Flippin eck, what a transformation!"

Purple Tentacle

Oh no, really? That's my favourite bit of 'Stars, With Eyes!'

Gavin

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"'Stars, With Eyes!'

I've just laughed at those three words more than at the whole of Catterick.

Make me smile

Quote from: "RedboX"
Quote from: "Ray Le Otter"
I can't recall but is the Stars In Their Eyes sketch in Series Two now complete on the DVD? I'm sure it was cut on the VHS.

It was cut on the VHS, one "act" was missing, Its a long time ago, but the "act" was a man from Hartlepool who was a murderer.   I cant rember who he was going to be or what he was singing, but I rember reading at the time it had been cut from the VHS as they could'nt get clearance for the song.

The George Micheal bit is definitely on the VHS.

ProvanFan

TJ

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "TJ"http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/index.php?showtopic=10898&st=0

Jeez.

Hehe - that Mr M West made exactly the same disgusting points, word for word on the NotBBC Fry & Laurie thread yesterday. I remember my hand stretched up in an instant 'smack' position, as a subconscious reflex.

Ray Le Otter

Hoorah - Rod's back on the DVD, so that's one good thing.

Ignore Mr West's ramblings - he does it to wind people up y'know.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Roobarb's seems to be full of industry-apologist cunts at the moment. 'Well as long as the spine's the same colour as my arse I'm happy!!! :) Honestly, we DVD fans are a bunch of moaners sometimes!!!! LOL'. It's hard to read the posts without wanting to set small fires.

TotalNightmare

i think i mentioned this elsewhere, but considering the complaints on here about the BNO dvd, at least with that you got a little documentary to watch and animated menus and the like.

Despite buying these DVDs yesterday for £20 for the 2 offer at HMV, when i slapped them in the DVD player, the menus were ugly, dull and amazingly unimaginative.

Its nice to see a few things id missed out on from the VHS edits ("I LOVE YOU") i still can't figure out how it all went from extended VHS cuts with a cute title intro to 'modern day marvel' DVD with a lot less and plenty of fuck all!

It must be the first time i've ever bought a DVD and got less than my VHS version.

Again, if some genius was to splice it all together into one glorious hole, they would become a god to me!

well, no, not really, but you understand my sentiment.

Ray Le Otter

Ah, but at least Series 2 & Bang Bang are intact, which they weren't on VHS release.

It's not much of a plus point I know but hey, life's shit.

Purple Tentacle

Is the 'Spanish Flea' on the Series 2 DVD?

Is Series 2 on the DVD about as definitive as it gets? Because obviously it's not worth TTT and I fannying about with that series if so.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"

Despite buying these DVDs yesterday for £20 for the 2 offer at HMV, when i slapped them in the DVD player, the menus were ugly, dull and amazingly unimaginative.

Why are you bothered about the menus, out of interest? I've always thought DVD compilers spend too long doing the menus and not enough time researching Which Edits Are Which.

Goldentony

I can't believe some of the things i read on that Roobarb forum, "What a lot of silly bother" "Extras are for girls".

Was the guy who said the extras are for girls line being completely serious? I just don't know any more, with BNO i was sort of glad it was coming out because i just never expected it to, and just as it was all going swimmingly some fool had a bash at editing out the advert breaks. People have wanted R&M on DVD for years and when it happens it's just a complete cock up, if they'd have released the VHS versions there'd be some of the broadcast version missing, and vice versa. The compiling of a DVD of all the missing shit would defenitely be a good idea, and starting some manner of DVD tree or whatever.

I could crush a grape/eat someone alive.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"

Why are you bothered about the menus, out of interest? I've always thought DVD compilers spend too long doing the menus and not enough time researching Which Edits Are Which.

Well, ultimately, im not bothered about the menus, but i was surprised by how shit they are, maybe because the BNO ones were, at least, in the flavour of the show, the red dwarf ones showed a lot of care and attention, Black Books has the wibbly wobbly style of the title sequence, the Look Around You 2 was cute and fun, the League of Gentlemen menus were nicely done, the Spaced menus were kinda cool yet simplistic and such and such and such... i would have thought there might have been a bit of thought put into the menus of (arguably) one of the most important comedy products of the 90s, but no... nothing.

i know that it was a vanilla release, but the fact that the menus showed nothing was just, well, a little sad really.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "TJ"http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/index.php?showtopic=10898&st=0

Jeez.

Hehe - that Mr M West made exactly the same disgusting points, word for word on the NotBBC Fry & Laurie thread yesterday. I remember my hand stretched up in an instant 'smack' position, as a subconscious reflex.

It was I who posted the similar thing on the Not BBC thread about Fry and Laurie under the name Smurl.

I'm nothing to do with Mr M West I'm afraid - nor do I know anything about the these Reeves and Mortimer discs.

My point about Fry and Laurie is subtly different because I don't believe there's a huge market for them and I'd glad just to get the shows which I don't have in any other format - unlike these shows which I have on video already.

I might buy them for the extras then, but overall extras do tend to be a bit rubbish because so little time and effort is put into them to make them worthwhile.

Autopsy Turvey

Vic and Bob did The Girlie Show to promote The Smell, didn't they? I'm sure I have the sequence on tape somewhere in a box under several boxes in my dad's garage. That in particular would've been a nice extra, as it added a great deal to R&M mythos, most notably the phrase "Nuts and bolts! Bolts and nuts!" delivered in a kind of plaintive, strangulated voice while releasing a handful of nuts and bolts onto the table.

They were on The Word too, but I don't remember them saying A Word. They did the "love the smell" song at the end but it was very poor, "I love the smell of this man's hairdo" or somesuch squiffy improv.

Then there was the Comic Relief getting-drunk-and-singing-songs business, which was ghastly, and the 'At Home With Vic & Bob' sketches which were all great, especially "Where's me Mintolas, Davy? I'm desperate for a cubed mint sweet," which was a popular phrase for months afterwards round my way. And the naming of the University Challenge hairstyles, best of which I seem to remember being 'Riddle Of The Tombs' and, simply, 'Cheers!'.

O! These 'what extras SHOULD there have been on these feeble pissy wasted opportunities assembled by slack-jawed clueless incompetent automata' threads are ultimately quite depressing, aren't they!