Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:20:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Brewis's Website - Comedy Fans Prepare To Cream Yourselves

Started by Darrell, April 05, 2006, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell

http://www.brewis.dabsol.co.uk/

Website of the noted composer Peter Brewis. Full of audio clips, all from their original master tapes minus audience laughter.

Smith And Jones
Includes the Paul Simon parody and full, clean versions of all his Beatles pastiches, including one unbroadcast one!

Spitting Image
Including I've Never Met A Nice South African, as you'd expect.

The Smell Of Reeves And Mortimer
Clean studio versions of Cottage Cheese and Middle Class, and the instrumental studio backing track to Let's Have A Look At It!

The Young Ones
Including the theme tune, the Nasty theme tune... and a BRILLIANT, never heard before alternate opening song from the pilot episode with all the characters on vocals!!! Neil's middle eight sounds like an out-take from Heavy Concept Album!

The Tall Guy
All the songs from Elephant!

Not The Nine O'Clock News
Including clean versions of England My Leotard and Confrontation, and, not to excite anyone, but THE TWO NINNIES SONG WITHOUT AUDIENCE LAUGHTER FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER.

And fucking TONNES more.

Seriously, is there a way we can beg him to put a CD out? This is the best website I've ever seen.

Barney Sloane

Cheers for that, Darrell!  Just found out the other day that he played recorder and did additional arrangements for the soundtrack of The Wicker Man, as well.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Godzilla Bankrolls

Is that really for the Young Ones pilot, do you think, or for Time?

Darrell

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Is that really for the Young Ones pilot, do you think, or for Time?

I suspect he just recycled the backing track for Time. Shame to waste it, after all. But he doesn't seem like someone to get his facts wrong.

Outro to England My Leotard that I've never heard before!

Godzilla Bankrolls

Godzilla Bankrolls

So: there's another three things missing off the Smell Of DVDs.

I hope he puts up a section about that Brel thing he did recently with Mel Smith. And fingers cross that he elaborates on 'Cabaret with Rik Mayall and Ruby Wax'...

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

What was Croissant Neuf?

EDIT: Ah, alternate title for Pushing Up Daisies.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Is Peter Richardson amongst the voices on that alternate Young Ones sig?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Bloody hell, the 'Shame you missed Madonna and the Rolling Stones' song from Alas Sage and Onion! Who'd have thought I'd see the day, etc.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I've been playing that Young Ones sig about 20 times in a row - it's amazing.

Catalogue Trousers

Darrell, this is nothing short of piggin' brill! A thousand thanks, sir.

Darrell

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I've been playing that Young Ones sig about 20 times in a row - it's amazing.

It's those chord changes in the Neil bit - they send shivers.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Was it intended as the end sig, though? Hence the length. If not, my brain is going crazy imagining what the visuals might have been.

It's more in the style of The Outer Limits isn't it? You can imagine them belting it out in their suits.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Darrell"

It's those chord changes in the Neil bit - they send shivers.

Is he in character as Neil though? Hard to tell.

I'll drop him a line and ask how early-on that sig was made. And whether Richardson's there in place of Ryan.

alan strang

Quote from: "Darrell"Outro to England My Leotard that I've never heard before!

And a lovely tinkly intro too - the latter didn't even feature on the TV edit.

He once mentioned that, if he ever released an LP, he'd call it 'Ars Longas, Peter Brewis'.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Is that definitely the same vocal on Two Ninnies, or another take? Eg, 'Marching up and down upon the spot' rather than 'on the spot' yes? Or maybe the lack of laughter is playing tricks on me.

Bert Thung

Did Brewis have anything to do with The Bouncing Song?  How I'd love to hear the full, studio version of that.

TJ

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Is that definitely the same vocal on Two Ninnies, or another take? Eg, 'Marching up and down upon the spot' rather than 'on the spot' yes? Or maybe the lack of laughter is playing tricks on me.

It's definitely the same take; I'd always thought of it as 'upon the spot', I must say. Wow, the lack of laughter makes it possible to pick out just how much he'd managed to nail down the Ronnie Hazlehurst arrangement style for The Two Ronnies (which even as a kid always struck me as fucking weird and stuck in its own archiac smug-trumpet universe).

This is one of the best sites I've ever come across on the net and I really hope it'll expand in the future. Just imagine - the full take of the Hardwicke House theme...

difbrook

Absolutely wonderful. What a great, great thing. He really is spot on, isn't he? That version of England My Leotard makes the hair stand up on end. Not only is it crunchingly accurate (musically *and* lyrically) but it somehow manages to be affectionate and vicious at the same time (which now I come to think about it, must be a bit of a Not... trademark). I do sometimes wonder if this is the reason Kate changed direction after Never For Ever...

I've done mp3 conversions of the Not..., Young Ones and R&M stuff, and I'll probably tackle the rest as well in order to make up a lovely cd's worth of Brewis music. I don't think Peter would mind, given that he's kindly put the full versions up on his site anyway.

If anyone wants them, I'll bung up what i've done so far when I get in from work tonight.

Jemble Fred

Real Audio is the enemy of mankind. I actually feel teary that all that stuff is off-limits.

Don't worry, I'm not complaining. Lovely site. Just my shitty luck. But I fucking hate Real Audio more than any other net-based phenomenon.

Catalogue Trousers

Ah, but Jemble, check out the post immediately above yours! The highly esteemed difbrook is already on the case...

(I reckon that we should start a "Jolly Decent Chap Of The Year" CaB Award. On all evidence, difbrook should walk it - with our gratitude behind him all the way!)

difbrook

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Ah, but Jemble, check out the post immediately above yours! The highly esteemed difbrook is already on the case...

(I reckon that we should start a "Jolly Decent Chap Of The Year" CaB Award. On all evidence, difbrook should walk it - with our gratitude behind him all the way!)

what a nice thing to say. Thank you very much. It's nowt but a pleasure - I'll get this stuff uploaded this evening then (hopefully).

Roger Byrne

I initally thought the same as ELW10 about the Two Ninnies song - as well as the on/Upon thing I always heard "I'm thrilled to bits..." as "I go to bits..." in the past. Listening to the song with the audience in again after hearing the audience-free version though, it's clear they're the same.

What a lovely site it is.

Jemble Fred

Ah, by the way I realise I looked like a cheeky fuck just up there, as I didn't see difbrook's generous offer just above my post. I went straight to the site, wreathed in smiles, and then ran back here to bawl like a babby when I saw the files were '.ram'.

I wasn't fishing for anyone to supply mp3s, honest!

I don't understand whats going on in this thread at all, but isn't it nice to see everyone happy for once?

Bert Thung

Done these last night. MP3's of all the Not The Nine O'Clock News, Spitting Image, Reeves and Mortimer and The Young Ones music

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDJ32RB4