Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Brewis's Website - Comedy Fans Prepare To Cream Yourselves

Started by Darrell, April 05, 2006, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

difbrook

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Ah, by the way I realise I looked like a cheeky fuck just up there, as I didn't see difbrook's generous offer just above my post. I went straight to the site, wreathed in smiles, and then ran back here to bawl like a babby when I saw the files were '.ram'.

I wasn't fishing for anyone to supply mp3s, honest!

if they were mp3's in the first place (which to be fair, some of them are - there's one on the Smith and Jones Pepper Thing page that's an mp3) the conversions would be lovely and gorgeous. As it is, they'll be a bit on the burbly and bloopy side. I'm chuffed to bits that this site's up at all, although I feel your pain, Jem. Many is the time I've stumbled across something that sounds as if it could be tremendous (or worse, a piece of video that I've wanted to see) and realised that what I'm about to see/hear isn't going to be shown off to its best advantage because of the format it's in. But I don't think my jaw will ever recover from the massive drop that was caused by following Darrell's links this morning. A joyous thing.

I really like the sound of that Mondrian experimental album Peter Brewis has been working on, as well!

Hopefully you'll get to hear all this goodness before the night's out, Jemble. Or at least, some of it.

EDIT - you will indeed. Bert's done all the hard work already. Must be something about us Edinburgh people. We mount a valiant action against the perils of realmedia.

Catalogue Trousers

Heh. Could either of you fine fellows do the same for the Tall Guy and Smith & Jones stuff as well?

Many thanks!

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Heh. Could either of you fine fellows do the same for the Tall Guy and Smith & Jones stuff as well?

Many thanks!
I was having real difficulty transferring them, I seem to be getting bumps and pauses every time I try. Over to you difbrook??

Gavin

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Done these last night. MP3's of all the Not The Nine O'Clock News, Spitting Image, Reeves and Mortimer and The Young Ones music

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDJ32RB4

Cheers Bert!

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Done these last night. MP3's of all the Not The Nine O'Clock News, Spitting Image, Reeves and Mortimer and The Young Ones music

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDJ32RB4

Thanks Bert. Any chance you could upload this to Rapidshare?

(I was initially going to bitch about not being able to stream .ram files at work, then I saw this post, only to be hit by some 'bandwidth exceeded/behind proxy' lockout from megaupload. Sigh.)

difbrook

Quote from: "Bert Thung"
Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Heh. Could either of you fine fellows do the same for the Tall Guy and Smith & Jones stuff as well?

Many thanks!
I was having real difficulty transferring them, I seem to be getting bumps and pauses every time I try. Over to you difbrook??

adopts Gene Wilder voice, as the Waco Kid from the end of Blazing Saddles. I'll give it a try...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"
Thanks Bert. Any chance you could upload this to Rapidshare?

While no Bert myself, we can't expect these Samaritans to do everything! http://rapidshare.de/files/17348208/Peter_Brewis_Website.zip.html

A whole new section of the Cottage Cheese song! My, you should have seen my eyes light up. It sounds *so good* it breaks my NECK that Vic and Bob never released a follow-up to I Will Cure You with these songs on. Although the versions on the site sound gorgeous (well everything about the site seems to be gorgeous), it's missing the spoken bits which bring the songs to life. Shame.

Neil

Bladdy hell!  That Young Ones pilot sig tune is amazing!  What a site.

difbrook

Smith and Jones section

Rapidshare version.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17348886/Smith_and_Jones.zip.html

I'll edit this link in about ten minutes to add a megaupload version as well for those who prefer that, once it's done.

Edit - done.

Megaupload version.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H5HX5L27

difbrook

Everything else currently up on the Telly section that hasn't already been converted by Bert or meself - Croissant-Neuf, The Strangerers, DooWop from the Lenny Henry Show, Friday Night Live, March of Ides (Hale and Pace), Too Much Sun.

Rapidshare -
http://rapidshare.de/files/17351796/Brewis_Misc.zip.html

Megaupload -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3ATZEJDN

That's it for now, I think. Anything from the other sections that anyone would like done?

Craig Torso

Wow, thanks to Bert and difbrook for sorting out mp3s of all these.  This is an amazing site.  I can't stop listening to The Young Ones pilot sig and that version of Cottage Cheese is just wonderful.  Thanks again.

Quote from: "difbrook"Absolutely wonderful. What a great, great thing. He really is spot on, isn't he? That version of England My Leotard makes the hair stand up on end. Not only is it crunchingly accurate (musically *and* lyrically) but it somehow manages to be affectionate and vicious at the same time (which now I come to think about it, must be a bit of a Not... trademark). I do sometimes wonder if this is the reason Kate changed direction after Never For Ever...
(my emphasis there)

Spot on! It's such a funny, accurate, and warm spoof. Do you think Brewis was a fan of the great Kate?

difbrook

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"
Quote from: "difbrook"Absolutely wonderful. What a great, great thing. He really is spot on, isn't he? That version of England My Leotard makes the hair stand up on end. Not only is it crunchingly accurate (musically *and* lyrically) but it somehow manages to be affectionate and vicious at the same time (which now I come to think about it, must be a bit of a Not... trademark). I do sometimes wonder if this is the reason Kate changed direction after Never For Ever...
(my emphasis there)

Spot on! It's such a funny, accurate, and warm spoof. Do you think Brewis was a fan of the great Kate?

if he was (and is) I'd give anything for a team with half the talent of the Not... brigade to tackle it nowadays. Can you imagine Pam getting her claws into something like "Pi" or "Mrs Bartolozzi"?

Especially "Pi". That's ripe, given his pisstakey lyrics about the fibonacci sequence in "Leotard".

Godzilla Bankrolls

I love Leotard ("Byabubble!"), but I think Call Me Paul is my favourite Brewis parody on the site. The Gracelands sound is down pat, the 80s psychobabble lyrics (as well as a deconstruction of Simon's artistic direction) are are amazing, and have great punchlines. But the African vocalists make the track, commenting on Simon The Man in a blokey, pubby, cabbie fashion, through the medium of song.

"This is a man who sings very quickly
Very, very quickly indeed
Perhaps that's why the curly geezer left him

These words are hopeless
No rhyme or reason
I'd like a blast of
Whatever he's on

Hopeless (this man is)
Hopeless (day-o!)
Is that curly geezer still around? (Get him back here)
Hopeless (mm-mm)
Hopeless
We preferred him doing Homeward Bound (One more time)
Hopeless, hopeless..."

Affectionate and scathing indeed.

Darrell

Have you seen the video to it? It's on the VHS compilation of Alas and is great.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Yeah, it was definitely on those UKGold edits that were torrented last year.

Catalogue Trousers

Garfield And Friends wrote:

QuoteSpot on! It's such a funny, accurate, and warm spoof. Do you think Brewis was a fan of the great Kate?

Heh. Conspiracy theory ahoy.

I once owned a copy of the Hedgehog Sandwich LP (a Christmas present), and I seem to recall that there's a point in the "Leotard" writing credits that seemed to be saying that Kate herself had had a hand in creating it..

Of course, given the track's blatant filching of the feel (and sometimes actual music) of "Wuthering Heights", "Violin", "Oh England My Lionheart", and a suspiciously overall similar sound to "Them Heavy People", maybe it was just a bit of courtesy on Brewis's part...

Pinball

I converted the entire site to MP3s (plus the single Lenny Henry rm video file), and can upload as a single zip if anyone wants (128MB). He certainly offered these files in a way that's tough to MP3-ize! Brilliant stuff tho...

alan strang

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Of course, given the track's blatant filching of the feel (and sometimes actual music) of "Wuthering Heights", "Violin", "Oh England My Lionheart", and a suspiciously overall similar sound to "Them Heavy People", maybe it was just a bit of courtesy on Brewis's part...

It was actually a legal requirement - EMI insisted that it was a bit too close to 'Them Heavy People' for comfort.

I just went to see if I still had the album and I have. The credit reads
QuoteEngland my Leotard (Kate Bush)/Kate Bush Music Ltd sub. pub. by EMI Music Ltd (Lyrical pastiche Peter Brewis)

I'm just on another of my flying visits home, so I've not had the proper opportunity to check out the Brewis site with my own eyes yet, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the links and uploads here.  I've been after a decent version of the end music from The Young Ones for ages.  Great stuff.

Is the different end music for 'Flood' on offer?  ;-)

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Of course, given the track's blatant filching of the feel (and sometimes actual music) of "Wuthering Heights", "Violin", "Oh England My Lionheart", and a suspiciously overall similar sound to "Them Heavy People", maybe it was just a bit of courtesy on Brewis's part...

It was actually a legal requirement - EMI insisted that it was a bit too close to 'Them Heavy People' for comfort.

> - Why does the Album cover entry say (Kate Bush)/ Kate Bush Music Ltd.

You guessed right: there were copyright problems. When Kate Bush's publishers EMI got wind of the song being put out on an album I was summoned to a meeting with their lawyers who said I'd ripped off Them Heavy People. I said, 'The tune's different, the harmony's different, the bass line's different and the words are different. It's a different song'. They said, 'But your song wouldn't have been written if Them Heavy People hadn't existed'. Yep - true enough. 'And that makes it a breach of copyright', they said. So there you are: in this country you can't send up any song that's still in copyright. Not The Nine O'Clock News was extremely popular at the time, so the album stood to sell squillions. They agreed to let the song go on the album as long as they (and Kate Bush) got my share of the money. And they insisted on that wording: 'by Kate Bush. Lyrical pastiche by Peter Brewis'. Sounds really Edwardian doesn't it? Lyrical pastiche. 'And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, for your amusement I should like to perform a lyrical pastiche'.

> Was Kate involved in any way in the production ? If not did you discuss the item with Kate and what was her reaction etc.

No, she wasn't and we didn't. I heard, soon after the show was first broadcast, that she was a bit angry about it. Then a year or so later I asked a friend of mine who'd been working with her if she'd ever mentioned the song. 'Yeah - we were talking about it. She thought it was funny'.

> - What is the story behind the record.

You mean the song? Well, I wrote it, made a demo tape of me singing it to give to Pamela Stevenson for her to learn it, booked four or five musicians, a couple of backing singers and a studio. The bass-player was having an off-day and I got a bit impatient, but we got the backing track recorded in a couple of hours. The musicians went home. Pamela Stevenson arrived and listened to the backing track a couple of times before we started recording it. On the first take she sang the first line, 'I was into yin and yang and hatha yoga' and said, 'can I hear that back?' I said, 'You've only done one line!'

So bit by little tiny bit we got it recorded. She said she thought the line 'my carrot quiches were better than the bought ones' would be better if it was 'cauliflower quiches'. Never defensive about my finely-honed, expertly-crafted lyrics I agreed to change it. (Well - I argued with her for half an hour about it THEN I agreed). For the rest of the session, whenever we got to that line, the engineer and I would sing, 'My cauliflower quiches were better than the carrot ones'.
credit: http://gaffa.org/dreaming/E2_parod.html

Catalogue Trousers

Oddly enough, doesn't the version on the Hedgehog Sandwich LP keep the "carrot quiches" line? Was it an early take of the finished item? Blimey. Maybe it should be treated as a rarity!

Squidy

Suppose it's too much to hope for that his demo for England My Leotard is still hiding somewhere...

One of the top five websites in the world, that is. That unheard bit at the end of I Read The News - yowser! And Call Me Paul is as perfect a comedy song as there's ever been.
QuoteTook a taxi to my business manager's place and
He had a video deal for me and Chevy Chase planned.
He played a South African tape as he loosened his waistband.
I said, 'Hey, what's the album called?' and he said, 'Memphis'.
I'm Not Dancing from Spitting Image - a parody of anyone specific or just generic silliness?

Darrell

Quote from: "Squidy"I'm Not Dancing from Spitting Image - a parody of anyone specific or just generic silliness?

I would assume generic silliness - as far as I know those four songs are literally the entire extent of his SI contribution and none of them artist parodies (that handled by Phil Pope). Mind you, that's the only one I've never seen the visuals to.

Marvin

Wow, been away the last few days, thanks Darrell for discovering this and thanks for the MP3 versions people, wonderful stuff! The Young Ones sig is amazing.