Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Hicks tributes needed!

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, March 10, 2004, 06:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

The CUBE Cinema in Bristol is holding a tribute night to Bill Hicks soon.  It's actually for a second time - the previous one was so jam-packed that they just had to do it again.  For the previous Bill Hicks tribute night a short flash animation was shown based on one of his routines, animated by my friend Tom that works there.  Well, he's now asked me to throw the floor open to you lot.

All you multimonging Bill Hicks fans are invited to create short films, animations or whatever you like to be shown at the upcoming event.  This invitation is going out to Cookdandbombers only (ie B3TA don't get a look in), and will of course get credit for doing it if anyone wants to take part.

I'd suggest posting the files here (or links to the files if they're big) if Neil et all are ok with that, so we can all see them, and then Tom and myself will pick the best ones.  They can be whatever you want, as long or as short as you want - eg, animating to one of his stories or rants, or recounting a story about him, remixing one of his performances, doing a cutup... whatever you want,as long as they could be shown on a big screen in some form.

Oh yeah, and it's all nonprofit.

Below is the press release:

---------------------------------

Call for submissions:  BILL HICKS DEATHAVERSARY-RELOADED (TRIBUTE)

On the 10th anniversary of the death of Bill Hicks the Cube Microplex held
a tribute event featuring choice live performances and films made in
collaboration with the great man. The program also included a locally
produced short animation based on one of his fine routines- the Pussy
Whipped Satan one, which went down a storm.

The event was such a resounding success that we have decided to repeat it,
to accommodate for all the poor folk who we had to turn away the first
time, as well as an excuse to throw a good party. If you have produced any
short films of animations inspired by the rants of Bill Hicks, or if you
have an idea that you would like to realise then this is your opportunity
to get your work shown.

The event is on Saturday April 24th. This is a non-profit venture- the
£2.50 entry fee is just enough to cover costs of holding the event. The
Cube Microplex is a voluntary run art space in central Bristol with a
beautiful old auditorium, a licenced bar, and alot of charm besides. We
are dedicated to championing independence and grass-roots involvement.
Check out www.cubecinema.com for more details. Enquiries about submissions
to tom@sparror.cubecinema.com

Neil

Rats do you like Hicks?  I'd love to see you doing a flash animation using one of his bits as the soundtrack, it'd be funnier than Mundays, particularly if you used the hooligans bit.  Actually, your flash shenanigans have inspired me to download Swish and try it out again.

Rats

It would indeed be funnier than mundays, without a doubt, but alas, I think Hicks was a cunt, and an unfunny cunt at that. Get swish though, anyone who fancies a go, it's a doddle, you too can be funnier than mundays.

Neil

good grief, what Hicks have you heard?  And is there a best version of Swish to get?  I seem to have found 2.0 on Soulseek.

Rats

One was definatly rant in e minor and I think the other was relentless. One was allright during the bits where he put his cock away and stopped roaring and the other was shite all the way through. Are there albums where he isn't preaching to other dead head brats who already agree with him and actually telling a few jokes? You can imagine someone in the audience sitting there being roared at, going "yep, yeah, agree with that Bill, we actually came here to be entertained if you wouldn't mind ..... yep, no, you're off roaring again there Bill .... impressing the ladies, right ...."
I mean, I think he had a 10 minute routine about the evils of advertising and he spent most of that just strutting and roaring. What's all that about?

edit: yeah 2.0 is fine, I've got swishmax, the next one up and I can't say I've noticed a difference.

Neil

I can understand you balking at the preaching, but there's a brilliant comic mind under that, and one of the greatest stand-ups that we'll see in our life-times, up there with Richard Pryor in his comic delivery and characterisation.  Try Sane Man, it's on Soulseek.

Rats

OK, I'm always willing to give things another go. I'll keep an eye out for it.

EFB

also, try One Night Stand - thats my favourite Hicks.

Santa's Boyfriend

Good to see some interest - I'll be looking forward to seeing what you lot produce!

Cerys

It's at times like this that I wish I'd been less of a wimp when it came to using Flash.  Phooey.

terminallyrelaxed

If you're looking for an example of the Audience not always agreeing with Bill, there's the "infamous loses it sketch" where he gets heckled and goes off at the audience, some of tis actually a  little cringe-worthy as he really does seem to lose the plot, and it wasnt televised - its a fairly poor quality video, actually, but the audio's ok, the picture's just not quite good enough to make out his expressions all the time, but some audio clips of it would be priceless.
Its on Suprnova now:

http://66.90.75.92/torrents/1007/Bill.Hicks.The.Infamous.Loses.It.Show.Chicago.VCD.torrent

A Passing Turk Slipper

Does he only lose it at the part of the show where the woman shouts 'you suck' at him or does he go mad later on too? For the past age I've been dowloading it off someone in the soulseek room but I only really wanted it for the bit were he gets angry as I've heard most of the other stuff. Is it worth me carrying on?

terminallyrelaxed

The woman shouts "you suck" very early on in the clip, and it goes on for at least half an hour after that, he berates her and her kind for some time, thenseems to carry on for a while, but doesnt want  to let it go, and goes back to her, and then for what seems like an age seems to give up and sit down and  genuinely hope everyone will leave, and some do, but then he's up again. There's some interestig stuff about how he's "not a performing monkey" and all sorts of jaw-dropping moments - you can see he thought it wasnt being filmed...

A Passing Turk Slipper

Oh good, I'll carry on downloading then. Thanks.

epileptic doggy style

the best sketch he did in my view was the blue christmas/charlie hodge sketch.
taking the piss out of a member of elvis presleys road crew..
i literally cried laughing[/b]

Santa's Boyfriend

@ssmaster

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Any progress on these?

I had a flashback to my work email inbox when reading that.

Elliot

Santa's Boyfriend

Cool, Elliot!  Will pass that on.

What about the rest of you?!  time's running out!

terminallyrelaxed

ooh right I might actually have a crack at some photoshoppery for this, for a backdrop like.....