Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"the most pompous, humourless message board"

Started by Ray Le Otter, April 13, 2006, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Le Otter

.. is here apparently, according to a poster on Popbitch yesterday.

We're famous.

Still, today's strap line on the title banner on Popbitch is that they are "The second most pompous, humourless message board on the internet".

Mr. Analytical

Hooray!  Do we win a prize?

It is so lovely when the little people recognise our superiority.

Here's the quote if anyone's interested:

Monkey tennis.
judy_in_disguise Wed 12 Apr 14:33, Reply
I tell you what
Mr Potter and I remark on a regular basis that the reality shite they have on TV these days is on a par with the programmes that AP proposed to Tony Hares.

Hence why we do go and do something less boring insteadzzz
brianpotter Wed 12 Apr 14:51, Reply

Hypno surgery live
pretty much summed it up for me.
spiderlad Wed 12 Apr 15:29, Reply

Hypno surgery live
pretty summed it up for me
spiderlad Wed 12 Apr 15:29, Reply

Dear Why Don't You...
here is a recipe for toast....
judy_in_disguise Wed 12 Apr 14:56, Reply

Worse than that.
They make TV Go Home's schedule horrifically prescient. Brooker's new show Screen Wipe may just erase the memory of the shit sack show that was Nathan Barley, however.
gordonsalive Wed 12 Apr 14:56, Reply

nathan barley was pretty good
not as funny as the Cunt on TVGohome, but still funny.
big_ron Wed 12 Apr 15:07, Reply

I watched it Nathan Barley again recently, it was excellent
pauly Wed 12 Apr 15:03, Reply

No it wasn't.
gordonsalive Wed 12 Apr 15:06, Reply

yes it was
big_ron Wed 12 Apr 15:09, Reply

this sort of thing goes on for about 200 pages
in the chatroom on the Chris Morris site: perhaps the most pompous, humourless message board on the entire internets.

honestly Wed 12 Apr 15:12, Reply

*sobs* Another of our former titles usurped.
deep_stoat Wed 12 Apr 15:20, Reply

Timmay

Any publicity is good publicity?

EDIT: Is that quote for real? Wow, sounds like they have fun in there. It's basically a glorified chatroom, right?

Pinball

I can't remember the last time I went in the CaB chatroom. Isn't the forum a tad more important??

Quote from: "Timmay"Any publicity is good publicity?

EDIT: Is that quote for real? Wow, sounds like they have fun in there. It's basically a glorified chatroom, right?
Yeah, it's 4real.

Check the link here:

http://www.popbitch.com/newboard/17/board.html

The Popbitch board is a load of crap - stick to the newsletter.

Quote from: "Pinball"I can't remember the last time I went in the CaB chatroom. Isn't the forum a tad more important??

I think they meant the forum

Bilko

I'd like to thank our agent, all the people who voted for us in this award.  But most of all we did it all for the children.  God bless yer.

petercussing

Hey! That's not true! Everyone here just likes to think that they are better than everyone else. That's all.

Oh, hang on..............

Ray Le Otter

The Popbitch message board usually has a couple of solid gold laughs a day, however the mailout has been a bit off lately.

ffogems

But this sort of thing is happening everywhere. Particularly Outpost Gallifrey, the 'doctor who' fansite.

For example -
QuoteYou have to remember you're dealing with Chris Morris fans here, a lot of whom have their heads jammed so far up their backsides they're in danger of turning inside-out.
and-
QuoteIronic how so many comedy fans so evidently lack a sense of humour...)

These were posted today. I thought this view was obsolete and now regarded as a cliche?

They obviously didn't realise because they're fucking tripping on the UFO of ignorance or something... the bloody poo heads. Nah, I don't know enough about them to produce an observation.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Pobitch presumably has access to all sorts of insider info that could blow so many tabloid games (or at least piss the editors/PR people off), and yet all they do is play along with the circus. It's just The Sun with swearing.

Who actually runs it? Is it 'outsiders', or is it the same people who write for proper mags/papers?

Charles Charlie Charles

It's funny cos it's you

Although I like to belive I'm considerably more pompous than just about any of you windbags. I've even got a pompous moustache.

It's like an ordinary moustache but is infused with extra blowhard-iness. Like Dali's.

TJ

Quote from: "ffogems"But this sort of thing is happening everywhere. Particularly Outpost Gallifrey, the 'doctor who' fansite.

For example -
QuoteYou have to remember you're dealing with Chris Morris fans here, a lot of whom have their heads jammed so far up their backsides they're in danger of turning inside-out.
and-
QuoteIronic how so many comedy fans so evidently lack a sense of humour...)

These were posted today. I thought this view was obsolete and now regarded as a cliche?

They obviously didn't realise because they're fucking tripping on the UFO of ignorance or something... the bloody poo heads. Nah, I don't know enough about them to produce an observation.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Fucking Who fans never change, always criticising other people for their own exact failings.

Charles Charlie Charles

Pompous

Quoteaffected, bloated, boastful, bombastic, conceited, egotistic, flatulent, flaunting, flowery, fustian, grandiloquent, grandiose, high-flown, highfalutin, hoity-toity, imperious, important, inflated, magisterial, magniloquent, narcissistic, orotund, ostentatious, overbearing, overblown, pontifical, portentous, presumptuous, pretentious, puffed up, puffy, rhetorical, self-centered, self-important, selfish, showy, sonorous, stuck-up, supercilious, turgid, uppity, vain, vainglorious

Since when have any CaBers shown any of these characteristics? How dare they! Oh, hang on...

Mister Cairo

Perhaps the Popbitch posters aren't used to people laughing with them, not at them. At least people here don't post revolting pictures of women cooking their own breasts, who in their right mind makes pictures like that?

Mr. Analytical

Haven't we been slated on OG before though?  Is it the same guy?

We've also been slated on IMDb.

In fact, I think it's pretty fair to say that everyone hates us.

Alberon

As a regular on OG as well as here I know they get pissed off when they get described repeatedly as humourless anal nerds*. So you'd think they'd be slower to make sweeping generalisations about other forums.

OG isn't a bad forum. Most of them aren't arrogant and/or twats or who take everything too seriously. I think the criticism comes from the same one or two people. Perhaps with a personal axe to grind?

*Reminds me of the "As Others See Us" regular slot in each issue of Ansible.

23 Daves

That's fair enough.  I hate just about all other Internet forums, I honestly wouldn't have the time to list them all here.

Bunch of in-joking, flirting, stupid one-sentence wonders, the lot of them.  They should go out and get some fresh air.

Panbaams

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Pobitch presumably has access to all sorts of insider info that could blow so many tabloid games (or at least piss the editors/PR people off), and yet all they do is play along with the circus. It's just The Sun with swearing.

Who actually runs it? Is it 'outsiders', or is it the same people who write for proper mags/papers?

You'll be relieved to hear that it was someone who's always been unconventional ...

Quote from: "On 22 November 2004, [iThe Guardian[/i]"]How to be... Neil Stevenson Popbitch founder

I've always been unconventional and wanted to break the mould. In the early 90s I was deeply passionate about dance music and obsessed with acid house. Although then it was purely a musical interest. I had tried to pursue the journalism side, but it was tough because I couldn't find a way in.

My student experiences didn't help to ignite any interest in writing as the people running the Oxford University papers were not the type of people I could face working with, to put it politely. So, my only writing experience at college was with a satirical piss-take magazine. I've always felt a pang of regret I didn't work on the student press.

Instead, I spent a year sending off ideas and examples of work to magazines, but I was banging my head against the wall. My CV was arid, apart from a string of disastrous club nights and failed attempts at DJing. Then, in 1995, I found a lifeline in the form of an incredibly menial job on a financial magazine - one of those that only exists for advertisers. Conveniently, I made sure they taught me Quark- Xpress, which then helped me secure a job in the field I was passionate about, at Wax. I fitted the bill. They wanted someone who was into Leftfield, but who could also lay-out pages - having that extra skill was definitely a tremendous help.

After winning that job at 26, finding work became much easier and within two years I was editing Mixmag. There, I came under the mentorship of Mark Ellen, who edited Smash Hits, and was a wonderful Obe Wan Kenobi inspirational figure. He made me want to get into journalism proper, rather than just using it as a means of receiving free records.

Heat seemed like a good idea at the time, but I didn't like it much. However while working there I founded the Popbitch celebrity gossip website, which nobody really knew about for a while, although eventually it all came out. I wanted to rebel and it felt like a fun thing to do. My girlfriend and I suspected there were masses of stories that weren't being told because there is a rather corrupt relationship between the PR industry and the entertainment industry. It suits both to tell lies about celebrities and suppress stories; it was a really cynical time. At the time celebrity journalism was quasi-advertorial, defined by Hello! and OK!, and there was an awful lot of whitewashing going on.

It was a story being concealed about former Spice Girl Mel C that inspired us to launch the website. It's interesting how much of the celebrity coverage has changed over the past few years with celebrities now being attacked by journalists, thanks in part to Popbitch. I still have some input, contributing a little information, albeit from a distance.

Websites such as Popbitch are the best way to break into journalism, because they're so easy to set up, costing almost nothing. If I was starting again now, banging my head against the walls at dance magazines, I would definitely start a weblog. At least that way you have examples of your voice, opinions and writing skills out in the public domain and you don't have to struggle to get clippings.

If you're starting off in journalism, you're lucky to get the chance to write 50 words about trains. And if you are good, you will eventually get picked up by a publication. It might take a long time but you will get there. Popbitch was hardly accessed in its first six months but eventually people started clicking on it in their droves. Apart from the occasional brush with a lawyer, the site has been really advantageous for me and it undoubtedly helped me get the editorship of the Face.

As I discovered, there aren't obvious routes into journalism and people today still face those difficulties. So, when I was editing the Face, I put a lot of effort into an intern programme. Based on my experiences, I thought there would be scores of people who loved journalism, but had no clue how to get in. And while I worked there we had about 100 interns who I'm very proud of, especially since many of them have gone on to get jobs. Obviously, though, we managed to close the magazine in the process!

Now I'm writing a book about a magazine editor who murders celebrities. But if I had my time again, I would have become a lawyer because I would be enormously wealthy now - making money out of companies like Popbitch.

hencole

Quote"the most pompous, humourless message board"

What you have to remember is that unless you sign up as a member you can only visit comedy chat. Baring this in mind the above is completely valid.

Bogey

Quote from: "That Bloke there"
Now I'm writing a book about a magazine editor who murders celebrities. But if I had my time again, I would have become a lawyer because I would be enormously wealthy now - making money out of companies like Popbitch.
Is it just me, or does his writing have an oddly childlike quality?
"when I grow up I want to be a lawyer because I want to make a lot of money and buy a big house and a car like a BMW because I like those cars"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "hencole"unless you sign up as a member you can only visit comedy chat.
When did that happen? I'm sure I visited GD a few times before I signed up.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Ah, so that's why Popbitch is full of mean-spirited, pro-industry, on-message, faux-irrelevant shit! I'd often wondered.

The CaB 'dour elitists' tag is spouted about on numerous forums.

I can recall around the time of N.Barley and I.T. Crowd, places like RllMuk/ C4Forums/ NTSC-UK/ ILXwh3rd and other messageboards saying the very same thing about CaB.

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"
Quote from: "hencole"unless you sign up as a member you can only visit comedy chat.
When did that happen? I'm sure I visited GD a few times before I signed up.

I think it changed around the time of Nathan Barely

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

TJ

Popbitch told a nasty, scurrilous lie about David Cann's non-involvement in the BES. I've never been able to forgive them for that.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Being positive is always considered the default setting, even when there are millions of good reasons to be negative.