Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"the most pompous, humourless message board"

Started by Ray Le Otter, April 13, 2006, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There's a certain tone that's used on message boards, though, which occurs after several pags of in-depth criticism - somebody will simply write 'Well I liked it' (sometimes adding '*runs away*') and nothing else. And I always infer that they're mugging to an invisible gallery somewhere. After all, it's not a contribution to the discussion, it doesn't argue against anybody or challenge what someone's said - it's just a statement designed to assert some kind of debate-closing home truth. An undercurrent of 'I liked it...because I'm not as bitter and humourless as you lot and can see the wood for the trees'.

Imagine you're on a TV show debating Green Wing. You could have twenty minutes of serious, critical discussion, deconstructing exactly why the show is awful, bad for comedy and doesn't work. However, it'd be the person who utters the bathetic 'Well I liked it' who would get the round of applause.

Neil

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"There's a certain tone that's used on message boards, though, which occurs after several pags of in-depth criticism - somebody will simply write 'Well I liked it' (sometimes adding '*runs away*') and nothing else.

Oh yeah, and then there's the more abusive variant 'fuck all this over-analysing bullshit, it made me smirk at least twice, and that's all that counts.' Generally said by people who don't post much in CC.  CC would be compulsive reading if it was actually the way that people described it as being!   I mean, it's seen as being very vicious, hence all the *runs away* type stuff.   I think it's better than it used to be though, there's far less of that 'ducking behind parapets' nonsense now.

Artemis

I do find that this forum can be a bit pompous and occasionally cliquey, but I also find that its the only forum that I actually want to be a part of, despite contributing hardly anything of substance. It's just nice to read that there are people who share the same bizarre thoughts, off-the-wall inner monologues and worrying sense of humour. Despite a limited number of posts, I've been a member for several years and find myself checking in regularly, even when travelling.

Come to think of it, this forum has probably been about the only constant in a life of tragic abandonment and crass rejection. It's like a second mother to me.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"There's a certain tone that's used on message boards, though, which occurs after several pags of in-depth criticism - somebody will simply write 'Well I liked it' (sometimes adding '*runs away*') and nothing else.

Oh yeah, and then there's the more abusive variant 'fuck all this over-analysing bullshit, it made me smirk at least twice, and that's all that counts.' Generally said by people who don't post much in CC.  CC would be compulsive reading if it was actually the way that people described it as being!   I mean, it's seen as being very vicious, hence all the *runs away* type stuff.   I think it's better than it used to be though, there's far less of that 'ducking behind parapets' nonsense now.
You miserable cunts! *runs away*

ffogems

Bump:::
Vaguely related, but has anyone noticed the popularity of this place over the internet? It seems to invade every comedy-themed thread on NotBBC (which rarely gets a mention here) with haughty dismissals and whiny, infantile self-appeasing observations. And most of them are way off the mark, so... what is it about this place that gets people so riled?

petercussing

Cos forums are full of whiney little bitches.

That covers both sides of the argument.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Peking O

I just had a look at this 'NotBBC' of which you speak and found one of our number over there posting about Time Trumpet. It was a feeling akin to finding your girlfriend snogging someone else, but then realising it's ok because the bloke is hideously ugly and the FUCKING BITCH DESERVES TO ROT IN....whoops

zozman

I've only had a look on there a few times, and always wondered why they set out the page in such a daft way.... whoops

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "petercussing"Cos forums are full of whiney little bitches.

That covers both sides of the argument.
(Nods sagely)

Bunch of cunts.

Lee

You know that "The Cut-Up Boys Present... The Mash Up Mix!" Ministry Of Shit compilation? No? Thought not. Well, here's what one of them has to say about Cookd and Bombd, in a Time Trumpet thread:

Quotesaw it for first time yesterday,, thought it was really funny ... cant be bothered to analyse it beyond that ... has any1 ever visited the cookd + bombd website,,, loads of pretentiously wanky essays about why all ur fave comedy progs arent actually funny,, u just think they are cos ur stupid,,,, whiffs of that in this thread,,,
That last line... he's talking about me.

rudi

You whiff of that in this thread?

I thought it was the dog.

Quoteloads of pretentiously wanky essays

Yay to pretentiously wanky, but 'essays'?

"Looks like we [haven't] got ourselves a Reader....."

easytarget

You know, essays. Where you go to the trouble of typing things like "you", "your", "because"...

rudi

dur u bummr,,, i aint got time 4 dat i is chilin wiv da mash up boyz init,,,

SOTS

Outpost Gallifrey is miserable because I can't even register. I cannot get my Outlook Express to work and therefore have to use my Gmail account which I prefer anyway because it means I can access my emails from any computer.

Outpost don't accept any internet-based email addresses, so i'm out in the cold. Sounds miserable anyway to be honest.

CaB shits on OG, even if just for that reason.

TJ

Quote from: "ffogems"Bump:::
Vaguely related, but has anyone noticed the popularity of this place over the internet? It seems to invade every comedy-themed thread on NotBBC (which rarely gets a mention here) with haughty dismissals and whiny, infantile self-appeasing observations. And most of them are way off the mark, so... what is it about this place that gets people so riled?

In the case of NotBBC, it would help if certain regular posters on here didn't delight in winding up other posters and starting scraps for a laugh and then going over there to brag about it.

As far as I'm concerned this brainless CaB/NotBBC antagonism can go fuck itself. It's all down to a few sniggering twats on either side of the fence who really ought to be ignored by everyone with half a brain.

Sheldon Finklestein

The forum on Outpost Gallifrey is bizarre. Half of all threads are devoted to trying to oust Russell T Davies and the other half have names like 'Does RTD ever read these threads?' There are also some posts with strange xenophobic undercurrants that unnerve me. I mean, surely Doctor Who, given the fact that it's chief villians are massive xenophobes, would repel these people.

Anyway, CaB is great, aside from the occasional shit. You see some really insightful analysis of comedy and some really witty posters. As for its faults, well, I've always preferred flawed but brilliant to perfection.

Santa's Boyfriend

Xenophobe means fear of aliens doesn't it?  If so, why are these people watching Dr Who?  You'd think it'd be the last thing they would watch.

Lee

Quote from: "rudi"dur u bummr,,, i aint got time 4 dat i is chilin wiv da mash up boyz init,,,
Please believe me when I say that not all people who make these "mashups" *hackspit* type like 8 year olds on Coca Cola. Many do, but some, including myself and Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, do not.

Back on topic...

Lee

Quote from: "rudi""Looks like we [haven't] got ourselves a Reader....."
I did ask him if he's spent any longer than 5 minutes on here, and he didn't respond. So either he's too "busy" working on his latest compilation abomination to say, or he hasn't.