Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:04:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

oasis ditch holmes/fearless

Started by european son, March 11, 2004, 03:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

from NME.com

it all seems to be falling apart again.... no drummer, getting rid of DiV.

the last oasis album which had all this personnel insanity around it was SOTSOG, the only really poor oasis LP for me. also, there was Noel's projection of the album as

Quotea consice 10 song psychedelic rock and roll record with no ballards, string section or self indulgence. He says he's aiming for a cross between Bob Dylans 1965 Classic Highway 61 Revisited, The Rolling Stones - Famously out-there 1967 album "Their Satanic Majesties Request" and "The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses" .

the psych thing and the Stones thing are similar to stuff being said about SOTSOG.... not promising.

there is some good, or at least interesting news. the songwriting is apparently more or less equally shared throughout the group now, and some new Andy Bell stuff with Oasis may well be lovely.

fuck it, i'm still hoping this will be the one great album i reckon oasis still deserve, and have to release before they dissapear.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "european son"from NME.com

it all seems to be falling apart again.... no drummer, getting rid of DiV.

the last oasis album which had all this personnel insanity around it was SOTSOG, the only really poor oasis LP for me. also, there was Noel's projection of the album as

Quotea consice 10 song psychedelic rock and roll record with no ballards, string section or self indulgence. He says he's aiming for a cross between Bob Dylans 1965 Classic Highway 61 Revisited, The Rolling Stones - Famously out-there 1967 album "Their Satanic Majesties Request" and "The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses" .

the psych thing and the Stones thing are similar to stuff being said about SOTSOG.... not promising.

there is some good, or at least interesting news. the songwriting is apparently more or less equally shared throughout the group now, and some new Andy Bell stuff with Oasis may well be lovely.

fuck it, i'm still hoping this will be the one great album i reckon oasis still deserve, and have to release before they dissapear.

I thought SOTSOG had the nicest sound of all the Oasis albums.  The weak bit was the songs themselves, they just weren't strong enough plus the usual Oasis trick of leaving having a couple of outstanding tracks as mere b-sides didn't help much.  

They do far too much pissing about when it comes to recording the damn things.  Too much stopping and starting, they've already taken a break from recording  this one after a few weeks.  It was the same with the last one, all in all it took over a year to start and finish, with 2 tours in between.  They should just take a month out to do some solid recording and getting the fucker out without too much self-analysis.  There doesn't seem to be any focus, plan, hunger and ambition about them which is a real killer.  You're always guaranteed a handful of fantastic Oasis tracks with every album and b-sides, and that's with them in second gear.  They could be so much more if they put a bit of effort into it.  

Ah well, musn't grumble.

fanny splendid

Just the Gallagher brothers left to dump, and then Oasis will be great!

pretty dead boy

there's an andy bell b-side off the last album called something like 'thankyou for the good times' which was awful, and got one of those typical noel descriptions of something like 't-rex doing some might say' because it sounded like some might say, and had guitars on it.

i'm fanatically purist and hate anyone who likes the last few albums - they're a lost cause now.  nothing they've done in the last five (and more) years can be played against something like listen up or the columbia eight track demo or cigarettes and alcohol, and appear credible.  little by little my arse.

oasis were this and now are this

european son

Quote from: "pretty dead boy"i'm fanatically purist and hate anyone who likes the last few albums - they're a lost cause now.  nothing they've done in the last five (and more) years can be played against something like listen up or the columbia eight track demo or cigarettes and alcohol, and appear credible.  little by little my arse.

harsh, yeah not much they've done of late touches the brilliance of the first album and the b-sides to the first fourteen odd singles, but times change. Leonard Cohen's never gonna make a record as good as anything he did up to 1973, but that doesn't mean that The Future isn't worth listening to.

good oasis tracks since Knebworth:

D'You Know What I Mean
Stay Young
My Big Mouth
Be Here Now
Let's All Make Believe
Cigarettes In Hell
Fuckin In The Bushes
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Gas Panic
Songbird

but then again, maybe you're right....

Quote from: "John Hodge"SICK BOY: well, at one time you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone for ever. All walks of life: George Best, for example, had it and lost it, or David Bowie, or Lou Reed -

RENTON: Some of his solo stuff's not bad

SICK BOY: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either, is it? Amd in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just shite.