Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Meet the Feebles

Started by Manford Thirty-Sixborough, March 11, 2004, 08:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"We're not your average ordinary people."

Was ever a truer phrase sung? Meet the Feebles is a tale of sex, drugs, murder and puppets, written and directed by Peter "I've got a lot of Oscars" Jackson, and has to be the strangest thing I have ever seen.

I'm a little wary of mentioning the highlights, for fear of spoiling it for those who haven't yet seen it, but there are plenty.

Has anyone else seen this film? I must admit I had never heard of it until I was given a copy, but I can honestly say that I'll never look at a fox in the same way again.

smoker

i think it's the only one he's done i haven't seen actually,

bad taste
braind dead
heavenly creatures
lotr

is that it?

keep meaning to watch feebles, i understand there's a scene in a cinema where one of the audience is one of the bad taste aliens

elderford

I think Frighteners is also one. The supernatural comedy with Michael J Fox and his ghost buddies who scare householders as part of a scam for MJFox to exorcise the ghosts for hard cash.

Dirty Boy

it's truly a great film (and one i, unforgivably,  haven't watched in ages)

Harry the sex addicted Hare might be my favourite character "IT'SHHH GONNA BE A GUSHHHHER!!!", but the best part is the junkie frogs flashback to Vietnam which manages to spoof Platoon, The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now  :D

Quote from: "smoker"i understand there's a scene in a cinema where one of the audience is one of the bad taste aliens

Don't remember that actually, but i love weird little bits of subtle continuety like that.Will have to watch again...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "elderford"I think Frighteners is also one. The supernatural comedy with Michael J Fox and his ghost buddies who scare householders as part of a scam for MJFox to exorcise the ghosts for hard cash.

Now that's a great film. If Back To The Future or Ghostbusters are classics, (they are) then so is The Frighteners (it is).

smoker

ah i was thinking the frighteners was his too but wasn't sure. yeah that's one of those films where everyone who's seen it says it's great, yet it retains an almost cult status. maybe it's another shawshank

Lord Spong

He did 'Forgotten Silver' as well, which I haven't seen so can't comment on.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "smoker"ah i was thinking the frighteners was his too but wasn't sure. yeah that's one of those films where everyone who's seen it says it's great, yet it retains an almost cult status. maybe it's another shawshank

Well perhaps that's yet another reason to love it. It's an odd film - has a real quality 80's teen movie feel about it, (Teen Wolf, BTTF etc) it's genuinely funny, and yet it is unbelievably dark and genuinely disturbing at times. Potentially Michael J Fox's swansong, really. Unless you count Stuart Little...

elderford

Not forgetting of course TV's Spin CIty.

I see the IMDB has him listed as making a cameo in 2001 in Scrubs.

abbot lau

'Feebles' is great- and yes, one of the Bad Taste aliens can be seen for about 0.5 seconds in the audience.

Interesting fact:  the whole frogs and reptiles Vietnam sequence was shot after the rest of 'Feebles' because Jackson had run out of the 'puppet film' grant money the New Zealand film commission had bizarrely allocated. So in order to get hold of the camera equipment (and maybe a bit more money?) he pretended to be shooting another film called 'The Frogs of War' .

I have a friend who's at film school and is going to try to get hold of  'Forgotten Silver' for me.

Bellscab

Last year, I was going to write an article on Peter Jackson's early stuff, so I tracked down all his early films. I managed to get a copy of 'Forgotten Silver' off ebay... it's only available in Region 2 from Sweden, I think. It's a brilliantly authentic mockumentary about the early history of film and this heroic Kiwi film maker called Colin McKenzie. Apparently when it was screened on NZ TV a lot of people didn't realise it was a fake documentary and subsequently were extremely pissed off with Jackson that he'd 'tricked' them. Although, I understand they've now found it in their heart to forgiven him...

Also, Meet the Feebles is a cracking film. I'll have to agree with whoever said it above that Wynard the Vietnam vet knife-thrower is awesome. That flashback scene is on a par with the final Battle in The Return of The King if you ask me. Having said that, when I showed this to my friends (who I always thought were as sick as me) they weren't fans. As an  uber-film buff this always irratates me... I try and show people a great film (which I've probably seen many times before) and end up cringing throughout it when I realise they're not enjoying it or don't 'get it'.

butnut

Quote from: "Bellscab"Last year, I was going to write an article on Peter Jackson's early stuff, so I tracked down all his early films. I managed to get a copy of 'Forgotten Silver' off ebay... it's only available in Region 2 from Sweden, I think. It's a brilliantly authentic mockumentary about the early history of film and this heroic Kiwi film maker called Colin McKenzie. Apparently when it was screened on NZ TV a lot of people didn't realise it was a fake documentary and subsequently were extremely pissed off with Jackson that he'd 'tricked' them. Although, I understand they've now found it in their heart to forgiven him...

Also, Meet the Feebles is a cracking film. I'll have to agree with whoever said it above that Wynard the Vietnam vet knife-thrower is awesome. That flashback scene is on a par with the final Battle in The Return of The King if you ask me. Having said that, when I showed this to my friends (who I always thought were as sick as me) they weren't fans. As an  uber-film buff this always irratates me... I try and show people a great film (which I've probably seen many times before) and end up cringing throughout it when I realise they're not enjoying it or don't 'get it'.

But that's their problem. Just relax and bathe in the warm glow of your superior being.

I love Bad Taste and Braindead, and would really like to see Meet the Feebles. No doubt I'll track it down one day. It's also great how a director like Jackson can go from making films on no budget, to making good huge scale films too.

Ben Ordinary

Meet The Feebles was one of those films which fascinated me as a kid. Terrifying concept (dirty muppets) but it became one of those films I just had to see. (It used to be on Sky Movies a lot in the mid 90s.) I think it took me about 3 goes to see the full thing but it is a very funny film.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: "butnut"
I love Bad Taste and Braindead, and would really like to see Meet the Feebles. No doubt I'll track it down one day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CMNG/qid=1079006442/202-6273971-3223065

DVD is 'limited availability' unfortunately :(

EDIT: There's a fair few in depth reviews here http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/MeettheFeebles-1082342/

Almost Yearly

Loved Meet The Feebles, but will always love Bad Taste slightly more.

Lewman

This looks like a cool site for all your feeble needs http://tbhl.theonering.net
(shameless plug i know)

But intrestingly it does have the complete mp3 soundtracks for of PJs early movies. So you too could sing along at high speed in your car to the fabulous Sodomy song :P

-Lew

I used to live and breath 'Bad Taste' when it first came out, one of those bloody films I would watch every fucking day during the school holidays. I used to quote it non stop to my bored friends...

"Stick all the bits of brains in a plastic bag barry"
"Jesus it's Derek, he's gone apeshit."
"The old magics still there..."
"Er... Did you have to drink some chuck?"
"I'm born again!"

Wonderful.

abbot lau

I had to start laughing at the 'did you eat some chuck'  line.   plus I remember that the guy really liked eating  the 'chuck' . Wasn't it Jackson himself who played the alien who puked up into the bowl?

three things come to mind which illustrate (to me) what an inspired film that was...

1. The sight of a guy all done up in black with a balaclava like the SAS mopping bits of brain and blood up from the kitchen floor in case someone slips and hurts themselves.

2.  Blood being wiped off a car windscreen by the windscreen wipers revealing full size cardboard cutouts of the Beatles in full 'Sargeant Pepper' regalia.  (they never explained that bizarre car, did they?)

3. two words: EXPLODING SHEEP!

Damn. now I want to see the film again.

TotalNightmare

ooh errr...

i love the Frighteners. heres a fact for you.
The Frighteners was going to be the second Tales From The Crypt movie until Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis (exec producers) saw the early cut and ideas and decided to boost up the budget and release independent from the TftC line of well dodgy horror flicks...

there you go.

Santa's Boyfriend

"Do you really think there's a market for... nasal sex?"

:))))

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Official site:

http://www.ween.net/feebles/index2.html

Containing the best song about sodomy ever recorded. [/code]

Niall Quim

(Get me, delurking for the second time in as many days...)

There's a VHS rip of this still up on Suprnova.org...

http://66.90.75.92/torrents/910/Meet%20The%20Feebles%20(1989).torrent

And I've just seen a Region 0 DVD on eBay for a tenner, if anyone's in the mood for paying money for things.

I've tried watching this twice now, but fell asleep both times. I couldn't have been too impressed. But reading about films here always makes them sound sexy so I think I'll give it another pop sometime.

Bad Taste was one of those films that I saw when I was young(er) and had fuck all idea what it was, so bits of it stuck in my head without having a name to put to it - Lord Crumb's chainsaw bum death being one scene in particular, which isn't the nicest thing to be nostalgic about. Or maybe it is.

'Kin hell, I'm sure I've got Braindead and The Frighteners stuffed somewhere in this room too. Who needs a memory when I've got close-knit Internet communities to spy on.

Rats

I really enjoyed this, you could only watch it once though. Bad taste was much better. Christ, who'd have thought sitting there watching his films all those years ago that he'd end up making lord of the rings. I wonder what he'll do next.

Paaaaul

QuoteI wonder what he'll do next.

King Kong with Naomi Watts.

or should that be
"King Kong" with Naomi Watts

king mob

Once all the copyright problems are sorted he'll do the Hobbit as well then hopefully he'll do his WW! zombie film he mentioned ages ago.

First time i saw Meet the Feebles it was in Nottingham & the cinema was being cleaned of vomit which set the scene nicely

butnut

OK - I have tracked down 'Meet the Feebles' and it's great - just as good as Bad Taste and Braindead. Very funny, with some very gorry and dark stuff in there too.

Technicallly, it's done really well. It's like the Muppets gone apeshit - and that's saying something. Ta to everyone here for pointing this out, and I've just noticed the Frighteners on bitTorrent...