Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,476
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reverse Song Du Jour!

Started by TJ, April 20, 2006, 10:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

This was a great idea that someone tried a while back that never caught on, but I'm reviving it now. Basically, this thread is for requests for MP3s or otherwise of elusive tracks that you know exist somewhere but have never been able to get hold of for love nor money. Although each request has to fulfil certain criteria, namely it has to be something like an obscure b-side, a rare remix or a withdrawn album track or whatever, that you've read about and heard about but never actually *heard*, but which can't be got hold of easily; examples would be stuff like The Smiths' 'What's The World?' or 'Work Is A Four Letter Word', that sort of thing. Any requests for anything that you can just waltz into HMV and buy will be deleted.

I'll start off with a couple of longstanding bugbears...

The Charlatans 'Silly Thing' - supposedly a solo acoustic track by Tim Burgess, this was supposed to appear on the 12" version of the withdrawn 'You're So Pretty, We're So Pretty' single, but never got past promo stage. They did indicate it would be available for download through their website at some point, but if it ever was then I missed it. Loads of Charlatans forums have postings by people who claim to own a copy but then retreat into vagueness when asked to actually encode it for anyone. So do any of you lot know where to get hold of it?

Flowered Up - Wetherall Weekender - how do you remix a twelve-minute track? Scuzz up the beats and extend it to sixteen. And then only release it on a limited edition 12" and never include it on any reissues. I know there's a lot of Wetherall fans out there, so do any of you have it?

Meanwhile, here's something that I know a lot of Stereo Excursions regulars have been after for some time - the promo single for Denim's "Novelty Rock" album:

http://rapidshare.de/files/18471775/Denim_-_Novelty_Rock__Kid_s_Portion_.mp3.html

lazyhour

Bloody hell, thank you!  Now, does anyone have that other rare Denim track?  A b-side, maybe something to do with the Glitter Band.  I can't even remember what it's called, now.  Bah, I'm no good.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well The Henchmen (they spell it wrong on purpose, I'm not sure how I have spelt it) featuring Jack White - Some Other Guy is my holy grail, it's out there but I've never found it. Peel must have played it a few times as it was in that record box of his, you would have thought someone would have recorded it from that.
Also The Clique - Superman, the one REM covered, never managed to find that.
There are a few others, I'll try and remember.

Darrell

Quote from: "lazyhour"Bloody hell, thank you!  Now, does anyone have that other rare Denim track?  A b-side, maybe something to do with the Glitter Band.  I can't even remember what it's called, now.  Bah, I'm no good.

'Glitter All Over Again' There's a really glitchy MP3 of it and nowt else, sadly.

*Although* that glitchy MP3 plays a lot better through my DVD player for some reason. It's half-salvageable that way.

Someone, I think it was Surferghost posted Ronnie Lane's The Poacher on the SDJ thread a while ago.  I grabbed it, but it wasn't until later that I realised that it didn't download properly, and I'm therefore missing the last 30 seconds or so of it.  It love the chance to grab that again oh yes please.

I'd also love some Vicki Anderson.  Any of it.  Even the Mother Popcorn anthology released about 18 months ago is hard to come by without forking out a ruddy fortune for it.

TJ

Quote from: "lazyhour"Bloody hell, thank you!  Now, does anyone have that other rare Denim track?  A b-side, maybe something to do with the Glitter Band.  I can't even remember what it's called, now.  Bah, I'm no good.

As Darrell says below - I've only got a glitchy MP3 of it, sadly. I can upload it if need be though. Incidentally, Cherry Red are about to reissue the Denim albums (allegedly including Denim Take Over) on CD.

Darrell

Cor! Excellent news, Teej.

hansen mork

I'm not sure if the name for this is correct but here goes-

The Boogs- Palaminos dream.

The Boogs are The eighties matchbox B-line disaster, but dressed up. I heard this song only once, very late at night. I remember liking it but never hearing of it again. One day i remembered and so went internet exploring. I found proof of its existence but couldn't find a way of listening to it.
To this day i still don't know if the song was good or if my tiredness had got to me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's The World? That's a cover of an early James track I think. I've got the James track but not The Smiths version.

QuoteUm ... this song was written by ... erm, erm ..."[James?]
What would you sell ?
Loose glasses and suit
Heart and soul
Won't wear out

That's not enough !
I wonder what's inside
Fish fillet knife
Can cut
Right through my eye ...

I'm looking for some words
To call my own
Worn-out phrases
And a hand-me-down

They'll knock me
Under where I stand
Sad on his back
In a corned beef pan

Going under
You can feel them pulling me down
To the rust inside ...

This is the way ...
Franken-star is born

Bits and pieces
Others have worn
All held together by a management glue
Too much glue
Watch the stars turn blue
Turn blue
Turn blue
Turn blue
Turn blue

I'm going under
You can feel them pulling me down
To the halls of rust
Eeh ...

I, I, I, I, I ...

Thankyou ...

Sorry if you already know, but here's where to go if you don't. It's a nice song, after all:
http://oneofthethree.co.uk/songs/whatstheworld.htm

SurferGhost

SurferGhost

You might want to go all the way after you've seen what I'm going to put in SDJ (as soon as it lets me).

PP Arnold? Faces? On top of yesterday's Humble Pie? It must be Christmas.

poor fool

The Fall doing 'A Day In The Life' off the NME Sgt Pepper's tribute album from the mid-80s would be incredible. I've not been able to find it so far...

TJ

Quote from: "poor fool"The Fall doing 'A Day In The Life' off the NME Sgt Pepper's tribute album from the mid-80s would be incredible. I've not been able to find it so far...

I'd second that. For the whole album in fact. I used to have the tape but have since mislaid it.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "poor fool"The Fall doing 'A Day In The Life' off the NME Sgt Pepper's tribute album from the mid-80s would be incredible. I've not been able to find it so far...

I've got it on tape but can't rip it at the mo. It's been on at least one cheapie Fall compilation though, so it should be easy to find.

poor fool

Quote from: "Paaaaul"I've got it on tape but can't rip it at the mo. It's been on at least one cheapie Fall compilation though, so it should be easy to find.

Has it? Fair enough - I've always overlooked the comps on account of there being hundreds of them. Thanks for the tip off.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Cor, I wouldn't say no to a Fall cover of A Day in the Life either.

poor fool

Quote from: "Paaaaul"The Fall - A Day In The Life

Available on this compilation

Great - thanks mate. It's genius.

Toad in the Hole

Also love to hear the Wetherall version of Weekender... sounds awesome.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "afrayn"Also love to hear the Wetherall version of Weekender... sounds awesome.
Me too. If it's any consolation, you can watch the original 18-minute music video by Wiz on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xFDS_T3rlA

New SHOES!
New SUITS!
I SAY!
You're looking GOOD!

Toad in the Hole

You missed out "Soooooooooo SUPER".

That video is great... I've just spent the last half hour watching that and listening to the full 12:55 version back to back.

Well, it's better than working.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "afrayn"You missed out "Soooooooooo SUPER".
Ah...so that's what he says? I could never work that bit out.

Cheers!

I'd love to get my hands on 'Eine Kleine Lift Muzak' by Seymour (Blur) from the first Warchild album. I had it on tape but it's since dissolved due to overplay. I would buy it again for that one track but I could never find it out in Big Rice.

Any kindly gents out there?

Johnny Yesno

Great thread idea. I've only ever had bad cassette copies of the following and would love decent quality mp3s:

The Follower 7" by Prag Vec (not 100% sure if that's the A-side but ideally I'd like both sides)

Yellowcake UF6 by The Stranglers (don't hit me if you can get this in Virgin!)

A minnion thanks from all my minions PLC!

Been so long since I heard it, one of my fave ever dramatic Albarn melodies.

Labian Quest

Has anyone got anything at all by The London Punkharmonic Orchestra, preferably any of their Pistols covers?

kidsick5000

Anyone  have The Trick by The Prodigy.
It was the be side to Breathe

Go With The Flow

Does anyone have an audio copy of Queens Of The Stone Age - The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died?