Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:04:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reverse Song Du Jour!

Started by TJ, April 20, 2006, 10:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
About that Jilted John...  I believe there may have been a second single, but you're right in suspecting it wasn't a hit.  

There was an album too - I may be wrong here, but I think it was reissued recently, as its available for legal download from Napster.  The album version of 'Jilted John' has been re-recorded though and is bloody horrible.  It's a much smoother arrangement with keyboards and sounds far less like The Fall's 'Industrial Estate'.  ;-)

Edit:   ...and Yesno, I've not forgotten about The Stranglers yet.  Will sort it later!

TOCMFIC

There was a sequel song if I recall called "Gordon's not a moron", and it was recorded by the actress who played Waynetta in the Harry Enfield sketch shows.

Not heard that song in years.

Got an obscure one: It's called "I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape". Don't even remember the artist.

And does anyone have the 12" version of Joan Collins Fanclub doing "Leader of the Pack"? I have the 12" back in England, but it's a bit of a hike to go get it:)

Oh yeah, and an obscure Paul Hardcastle mix of "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick/Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" that I heard played precisely once by Anne Nightingale back in 1985.

And I hate to chuck in another request, but I just remembered a song I've been trying to find for years now:

"Toast" by the Q-Tips I think it was.  It might be Paul Young's first band, but I never managed to confirm that.

kidsick5000

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"And does anyone have the 12" version of Joan Collins Fanclub doing "Leader of the Pack"? I have the 12" back in England, but it's a bit of a hike to go get it:)

For a long time I thought "Did you meet him at school?" " No...I dont go to school anymore. I'm 26" was the funniest thing ever.

The joke seems to work less the older I get

The resurrection of the C&W thread has just reminded me that I've been scrabbling around for some classic country staples for a while.  I'd really like to get hold of George Jones' All My Exes Live In Texas, and if anyone has some of Hank Williams' Health & Happiness Hour shows knocking around I would truly love to hear those.  I have about half of one of them on tape, and the peculiar adverts are nearly as good as Hank's live songs.  The sound of Wolfman Jack telling you that you can buy 100 baby chickens for a meagre price has to be heard to be believed.  "You can take them for walks on little leads."  Really, Jack - I'll bear that in mind.

Labian Quest

Thanks for the Jilted John track, Jesusandyourbush, I haven't heard that in quite a while. That was actually sung by Graham Fellowes, who went on to become John Shuttleworth. Has anyone one got a track called 'Win a night out with a well known paranoiac' by Barry Andrews.

Quote from: "TOCMFIC""Toast" by the Q-Tips I think it was.  It might be Paul Young's first band, but I never managed to confirm that.

It was by Streetband, something which featured Paul Young [hack, spit] some years after the Q-Tips and before he became Mr. Pop Star.

Sadly, I can't help you with that right now, but I think I know someone who can.  Not promising, though.

lankinpark

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"For Lankinpark, as promised, Baby Chaos' 'Negatively Yours'

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PD7SED8I

I love you.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"Edit:   ...and Yesno, I've not forgotten about The Stranglers yet.  Will sort it later!

It's okay. SurferGhost has sorted me out. Thanks anyway. And thanks SG - you've got first dibs on my arse (well, when Tom Rad's finished with it).

Danorak

For Partridge's Love Child and anyone else who's interested, some Vicki Anderson:
Message From The Soul SIsters
Answer to Mother Popcorn
Super Good.
Apologies for the slightly rough sound quality - they're recorded off a compilation of dubious origins.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "kidsick5000"
Quote from: "TOCMFIC"And does anyone have the 12" version of Joan Collins Fanclub doing "Leader of the Pack"? I have the 12" back in England, but it's a bit of a hike to go get it:)

For a long time I thought "Did you meet him at school?" " No...I dont go to school anymore. I'm 26" was the funniest thing ever.

The joke seems to work less the older I get

hehehe I hate to say this, but I think the actual line was

"Is he picking you up after school today?"
"No, I don't to school anymore, I'm 28 now."

God I loved that song so much... Where he starts on about the gang now driving around in a Sierra estate:) Gold!

Toast: Hope you can find it. I always thought it was the Q-Tips. (The one time I heard it on the radio, they never said who did it.)

If this were 2003, I'd be posting asking for Blancmange's "The Day Before You Came", but after a few years hunting, I finally found that:)

A Passing Turk Slipper

Has anyone got any mp3's of or info on anything that Sugar Billy Garner did other than I Got Some (the one on Brainfreeze)?

TheWizard

I'd love it if someone could help me find M/A/R/R/S's "Anitina (The First Time I See She Dance)" and if anyone has an MP3 of the b-sides of  "Bigmouth Strikes Again"  ("Rubber Ring"/"Asleep" {7:56})flowing into each other as they do on vinyl.

Ta. I'll certainly be helping in here when I can.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"
hehehe I hate to say this, but I think the actual line was

"Is he picking you up after school today?"
"No, I don't to school anymore, I'm 28 now."

: ) - bloody perfectionist!

Brutus Beefcake

You mean PEDANT.  IRONY OVERLOAD

Paaaaul

You've got some toffee stuck under your Caps Lock.

TOCMFIC

*skulks away hoping nobody noticed his horrific mistake*

*skulks back again*

Okay, potentially embarassing one here, but what the hell, like you lot don't have musical skeletons in your closet:)

Does anyone have the theme from the BBC show "Big Deal" from the mid 80's, done by Bobby G of Bucks Fizz? It was released on single 21 years ago, never charted, and that was it...

ozziechef

There was a song I used to have on record when I was younger - think it's called "Have a Nice Day", not sure who it's  by but it has a spoken verse and a sung chorus. It's about a chap who is stuck at the airport on a holiday to America (first line "43 hours, i waited at this airport".

When he ets to America everyone wishes him Have a Nice Day (even the policeman after he gets mugged.

The song ends with him listing what he likes about England (Warm pints of beer, Charles and Diana).

ANyone know who it's by or better still have a copy?

Robot DeNiro

When this thread started I thought, 'Hey, I've got a load of MP3s, maybe I'll be able to help out with an obscure track and look really cool at the same time.'  And which request am I able to fill?

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"The theme from the BBC show "Big Deal" from the mid 80's, done by Bobby G of Bucks Fizz

It's taken from a very crackly old record, so the sound quality isn't very good.  And neither is the song, IMO.  I think this one is for TOCMFIC only.

Bobby G - Big Deal

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I'd really like to get hold of George Jones' All My Exes Live In Texas

I was after this myself (it makes me laugh). Here you go:

All My Exes Live In Texas

It's George Strait not George Jones, but I assume it's what you're looking for.

poor fool

I have another, quite obscure request, which is for the New Bad Things song 'You Suck'. I have a couple of versions of this song, but the one I'm after was broadcast on the Peel festive fifity in 1993 and is quite different from the ones I've got. I used to have it taped of the radio on a long since perished cassette.I can't find any information about it, and it doesn't seem to be a Peel session version.

I'm not expecting a lot of takers on this one, to be honest, but I thought I'd give it a go none the less.

A Passing Turk Slipper

The acoustic version of All You Fascists performed by Billy Bragg on one of the recent Glastonbury bbc coverage shows in mp3 would be nice too, that was amazing. The version on the album is a completely different (and for me inferior) tune.

danielreal2k

Thanks for the Jilted John track!  

Loving this it's like a goldmine of music.   I doubt anyone has this, but in 1991/1992 the PetShopBoys DJ'd on Radio1 in the mornings, played lots of early rave/drum & bass type stuff.  
If anyone has it on tape or mp3

Paaaaul

Quote from: "poor fool"I have another, quite obscure request, which is for the New Bad Things song 'You Suck'. I have a couple of versions of this song, but the one I'm after was broadcast on the Peel festive fifity in 1993 and is quite different from the ones I've got. I used to have it taped of the radio on a long since perished cassette.I can't find any information about it, and it doesn't seem to be a Peel session version.

I'm not expecting a lot of takers on this one, to be honest, but I thought I'd give it a go none the less.

Would that be the Consolidated and Yeastie Girls version? I have the CD single of that somewhere, it came out in 1993.

#Now you suck, suck it hard, go down -baby

etc

edit - just checked. I'm wrong. Ignore this post. Whaddayamean too late?

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"When this thread started I thought, 'Hey, I've got a load of MP3s, maybe I'll be able to help out with an obscure track and look really cool at the same time.'  And which request am I able to fill?

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"The theme from the BBC show "Big Deal" from the mid 80's, done by Bobby G of Bucks Fizz

It's taken from a very crackly old record, so the sound quality isn't very good.  And neither is the song, IMO.  I think this one is for TOCMFIC only.

Bobby G - Big Deal

HAHA! AWESOME! FUCKING AWESOME! Sorry to humiliate you:) And there's a whole backstory to why I wanted this song relating to what was going on in my life back then which I won't be going into.

Suffice to say, CHEERS!:)

TOCMFIC

Wife just mentioned one she's been after for as long as I've known her.

It's by a band called One-2-One (or some derivation there of, like 1-2-1 or something) and it's called Lovechild.

They were a Canadian band, and I don't even know if the song made it outside the country, but she asked me to post.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "danielreal2k"Thanks for the Jilted John track!  

Loving this it's like a goldmine of music.   I doubt anyone has this, but in 1991/1992 the PetShopBoys DJ'd on Radio1 in the mornings, played lots of early rave/drum & bass type stuff.  
If anyone has it on tape or mp3

I have 3 or 4 CD's full of rare PSB stuff here. I'll have a look through. (Though it's mostly b-sides etc... So if anyone has any PSB stuff they want, I may be able to hook you up.) You never know. (I remember listening to their shows. Really good.)

I HAVE seen this around online though, I know that for sure! Saw it on a torrent site a few months back I think. Can't remember the name of the site. (It's dedicated entirely to DJ mixes.)

danielreal2k

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"(I remember listening to their shows. Really good.)

It was around the time Radio 1 played cheesy American rock and I remember tuning in and hearing Carl Cox, Felix dont you want me, Underworld for the first time having never heard anything like it before, because no one else apart from Peel or Tong would play it back then  - they did some great shows.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "BeardFaceMan"Here's The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died by Queens Of The Stone Age -

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y8MSXZ2F.

Thank you so very much, sir.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "danielreal2k"
Quote from: "TOCMFIC"(I remember listening to their shows. Really good.)

It was around the time Radio 1 played cheesy American rock and I remember tuning in and hearing Carl Cox, Felix dont you want me, Underworld for the first time having never heard anything like it before, because no one else apart from Peel or Tong would play it back then  - they did some great shows.

I had the option of listening to the radio, or my own tapes at work. The fact I listened to shows means that they must have been good. I mean hell, back in those days, I'd turn the radio off if two crap songs in a row came on:)

Really pisses me off that I KNOW I've seen this online in the last few months and can't remember where:( Will check through my MP3's later today, but I think it's all just b-sides and rarities.

23 Daves

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Got an obscure one: It's called "I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape". Don't even remember the artist.

I can help you there.  It was of course by The Times, and I definitely have an MP3 of it somewhere.  Or, perhaps I should say I definitely did have an MP3 of it somewhere, because the hard-drive on my lap top knackered a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not too sure which MP3s survived and which didn't.  Some of them have definitely been corrupted, but I'm getting the computer repaired on Tuesday, I do have some hastily cobbled back-up files, and I'll hopefully be able to let you know more by then.

Things I'm looking out for, and have been for some time:

Vic Reeves - At Least We've Got Our Guitars (b-side of "I'm A Believer").  Supposedly this was a re-recorded version of the one their false German rock group "Wensleydale Cheese" did on "Smell of R&M".  Has anyone heard it?  Does anyone have it?  Please call.

Earl Brutus - Teenage Taliban/ ANYTHING off "Twenty Brutus Greats".  I'm really clutching at straws here, but I'm almost certain that there's a third Earl Brutus album sitting around on a record company shelf doing absolutely nothing.  I've heard rumours that some promos of "Teenage Taliban" (a track off it) were pressed up, but I've only heard the track at live shows.  Does anyone know anything more?  They also recorded a version of "Mouldy Old Dough" as a World Cup song and leaked it to the press in the hope of securing a release for it, but once again, I've never seen a promo copy or MP3 of it anywhere.

Microdisney - Money for the Trams.  Extra track on "Birthday Girl" twelve inch single.  I've never seen a copy of this or heard the track, though I've got the seven inch.

The Poets - Strike Cola.  Scottish sixties mod band record advert, it gets sampled by someone in the noughties and gets pressed up again in a limited edition of 500 copies, and I fail to get hold of the reissue in time.  If anyone has it, I'd be most obliged.