Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,479
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:09:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

£2billion overpayment in tax credits.. again.

Started by Marty McFly, April 25, 2006, 12:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty McFly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4939186.stm

is there anything at all that this government can implement without it turning to shit under their fingertips?

and what a surprise.. they're blaming it all on the computers.

bill hicks

Does anyone know if this affects Working Tax Credit as well as Family Tax Credit? The report only mentions families but doesn't make it clear whether all types of Tax Credits were affected.

petula dusty

There is no Family Credit any more. Tax Credits consist of Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit, and yes it would affect both if you're in receipt of, and have been overpaid, both or either one.

Edit 1: Yes that's as clear as mud, thank you Petula.

Edit 2: And they only mention families because it sounds more emotive than 'hard-working couples' or 'hard-working singles'. The poor hard-working families, won't someone think of the children?!!

Pinball

Governments are great aren't they? Overly complex, slow, expensive, and incompetent. hahahaha

Frinky

Pinball

Frinky, you really are a rude little bugger, aren't you? Engaging in your usual intellectually moribund level of debate.

I've just listened to the entire World at One prog on R4, so if you would care to debate this issue let's play...

At the risk of sounding too harsh, why is it unreasonable for people to pay back money they weren't due? "Set some money aside for a rainy day" my great-grandmother never said to me, and it would have been wise advice. Under-payment I have more sympathy for, but when people receive too much?? It is additional "free money" for them after all, isn't it?

Christ, when I was a student there were times I did fucking drug trials instead of claiming the dole. Where's that Falklands Dunkirk bomb the bastards spirit nowadays, then? Bunch of whining maggots. Get an educashun, get a job, and stop leaching from us you goddamn parasites.

[yes a tad tongue in cheek]

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "bill hicks"Does anyone know if this affects Working Tax Credit as well as Family Tax Credit? The report only mentions families but doesn't make it clear whether all types of Tax Credits were affected.
Yeah. If they want owt back off me they can bite my shite.

Frinky

Quote from: "Pinball"Frinky, you really are a rude little bugger, aren't you? Engaging in your usual intellectually moribund level of debate.

Quote from: "Pinball"Governments are great aren't they? Overly complex, slow, expensive, and incompetent. hahahaha

Who's level are we on, again?

Pinball

Almost Yearly

Sorry, I meant clearance really. You were fighting with Frinky, carry on, sorry.

Pinball

Ah.

No, I wasn't fighting, even though I was told to 'fuck off'  :-)

Artemis

Quote from: "Pinball"why is it unreasonable for people to pay back money they weren't due?
I'd say because they probably won't realise they've been overpaid until the money has been put to use, and then they're faced with a debt that's come purely out of the government's own incompetence. The cost of living's too high in thie country anyway - if the government's fucked up, let them pay for it for once.

Joy Nktonga

I noticed that the Jenny Eclair ads for tax credits have changed from the kindly "hurry and get your forms off so you don't miss out" to the far more threatening "hurry and get your forms off so we don't have to chase you down for money you owe us".

I/we haven't bothered for the last few years after we were stitched up having done everything right and being informed of our "credit", then a year and a half later being asked for a bunch of it back (a not-too-bad-considering £300 or so) due to their error. Fuck 'em. If you don't ask for it you're fucked but if you do ask for it you're buggered. There's absolutely no way of knowing if they've got your award correct as either a plus or a minus. I'd rather not risk it anymore in case they once again ask for a load of money I can't afford to give them back again.

My neighbours are repaying over two grand. It's easier to stay out of it really.

Timmay

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"It's easier to stay out of it really.
Or just don't blow all the money. Put it away in a savings account, if you really don't need it. Then if they do ask for it back, it's there waiting. If they don't, you're quids in.

Joy Nktonga

It's a grand idea Timmay, but we do need it. Sure, we get by just fine now - enough in the kitty to allow for a few eBayed CDs and a broadband connection, and non-value food in the cupboard, but if we were to apply for tax credits then we could afford non-Primark clothes in the wardrobe, swimming lessons, gymnastics and what not for the kids too as well as the odd decent night out for the adult who looks after them. Trouble is the money's as good as spent as soon as it arrives. I could go without my CDs and cut back to a dial-up connection (my only vices along with a tenner a week beer money) but I bloody earn the right to those things. If I use that government credit, which I really need to, then I don't have it to give back to them next year. If I work full-time to make up the deficit in our current income then I waste more than the extra I'd earn on childcare (that's why I gave up full time employment in the first place), and I'd be worse off and relying on the credits even more, then I definitely wouldn't have it to give back the next year.

Like I say -it is a good idea, but if it was coming in then I couldn't justify sticking it away instead of using it. Catch 22/no-win situation/other cliche here.

Edit to add: The above rationale is based on the assumption that the body responsible makes mistakes, which it does in enough cases to make me very wary of the system. I could apply of course and encounter no problems whatsoever. I'm just not prepared to take that risk. Things might be a little tight without the credits, but at least I know where I stand.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Pinball"Governments are great aren't they? Overly complex, slow, expensive, and incompetent. hahahaha

Yep.  I look forward to these "hi tech" ID cards they're thinking of introducing.  Should be a sensational success that happens without any hitches whatsoever.

High Roller

Quote from: "Pinball"Frinky, you really are a rude little bugger, aren't you? Engaging in your usual intellectually moribund level of debate.

I've just listened to the entire World at One prog on R4, so if you would care to debate this issue let's play...

At the risk of sounding too harsh, why is it unreasonable for people to pay back money they weren't due? "Set some money aside for a rainy day" my great-grandmother never said to me, and it would have been wise advice. Under-payment I have more sympathy for, but when people receive too much?? It is additional "free money" for them after all, isn't it?

Christ, when I was a student there were times I did fucking drug trials instead of claiming the dole. Where's that Falklands Dunkirk bomb the bastards spirit nowadays, then? Bunch of whining maggots. Get an educashun, get a job, and stop leaching from us you goddamn parasites.

[yes a tad tongue in cheek]

You can bet your bottom dollar they make a hell of a fuss when they are underpaid but as soon as it goes the other way...