Author Topic: Deathmetal act in Eurovision 2006  (Read 581 times)

Abbatoir worker

• Incorrectly spelt since 2005
Deathmetal act in Eurovision 2006
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »
This is great - http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1760551,00.html

I love Finland, can't wait to see what scores the other countries give it.

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »
Lordi can fuck off.  I'll be quiet now.  But they can just fuck off.

23 Daves

• Break a leg!
    • Left and to the Back
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »
This isn't the first time a Heavy Metal band has entered Eurovision, of course, though I suppose it's the first time a Death Metal band has got in.  Russia entered Mumi Troll in 2001, and even British metallers Heavy Pettin' entered a Song For Europe in the eighties (they lost, and I don't think anything was heard from them ever again).

Other interesting, if irrelevant, Eurovision fact - punk rockers The Fruit Eating Bears entered a Song for Europe in the late seventies as well, and finished eleventh out of twelve possibles.  That fact was found in this month's issue of Record Collector...

Johnny Yesno

• Injecting the rivers with stainless steel fish
    • Lines Horizontal
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »
Haha! I vaguely remember Heavy Pettin'. That's got to rank as one of the worst band names evah. A bad idea made worse by the dropped g.

Sovereign

• No Tags or PM's or Report To Moderator For You
  • I study murder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 11:16:49 PM »
I've seen 'em, they're shit, total novelty act that sound more like queen or kiss than any death metal band, they'll go down a storm.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »
they arn't death metal. They were scary costumes. Other than that they don't sound THAT odd for eurovision, it's pretty much power pop with guitars.

23 Daves

• Break a leg!
    • Left and to the Back
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 11:58:29 PM »
Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"
Haha! I vaguely remember Heavy Pettin'. That's got to rank as one of the worst band names evah. A bad idea made worse by the dropped g.

As proof, there's an interview on a metal website about their Song for Europe entry, see bottom of page here:  http://www.nwobhm.com/hpettin.htm  Some of their views expressed in it are so naive as to be shocking...

I can't remember a single thing about the song.  If memory serves correctly, it was a lighters-aloft ballad, though.  It finished sixth in the Song for Europe UK qualifiers... an ignoble fate for a British metal band who'd already had a couple of chart albums.

I would quite like it if British acts just said "Fuck it" and entered Eurovision with credible compositions, though.  Oasis apparently wanted to enter "All Around the World", but for some reason it never happened.

Pepotamo1985

• British people in hot weather
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 01:46:33 AM »
www.myspace.com/dazsampson

What a Labour voting, working class, common fuckhole. And his name sounds like a washing detergent. Cunt.

Arf! Snork! Etc.!

Sovereign

• No Tags or PM's or Report To Moderator For You
  • I study murder
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »
Quote from: "23 Daves"
Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"

As proof, there's an interview on a metal website about their Song for Europe entry, see bottom of page here:  http://www.nwobhm.com/hpettin.htm  Some of their views expressed in it are so naive as to be shocking...

I can't remember a single thing about the song.  If memory serves correctly, it was a lighters-aloft ballad, though.  It finished sixth in the Song for Europe UK qualifiers... an ignoble fate for a British metal band who'd already had a couple of chart albums.

I would quite like it if British acts just said "Fuck it" and entered Eurovision with credible compositions, though.  Oasis apparently wanted to enter "All Around the World", but for some reason it never happened.

didn't Radiohead want to do Eurovision a few years back, or was that just a rumour? I'd have loved to see that.