Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The latest series of Later...

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, May 06, 2006, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about the various acts appearing on Later.. seen as a new series has just started.
Anyone catch tonight's show? I saw most of it, that the Spinto Band were pretty awesome weren't they? I've never heard of them before, and assumed they were new as they all looked young as fuck but according to wikipedia they've been around for nearly ten years, which I was quite surprised by as I've never even heard their name before. Anyway, I quite enjoyed the couple of songs they played, what's their other stuff like?
As for the other people on the show, I thought Pearl Jam were boring and lifeless (although it was nice when Vedder went and danced with that singer girl who had been on earlier), though I have always disliked them. I had a bit of a giggle at Jamie Foxx's lyrics in one of his songs, but I wasn't really concentrating on anyone else. Anyway, I'm boring myself now, what did folks think of the show/bands on it?

Marty McFly

eddie vedder's turned into jeff bridges, circa the big lebowski.

did you see jenny lewis? she's lovely. i only saw the first pearl jam song, then went off to do something else, i've got it recorded to watch tomorrow though. liked the new jools-on-the-tube intro, as well.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I sort of surfed around and caught a few acts whilst missing the ones I didn't want to see (Jamie Foxx and Corrine Bailey Meh). I was quite amazed by The Spinto Band. I switched over halfway through their first song and just started laughing for some reason and then I noticed the kazoos. When they started playing them it was just such a joyus, silly sound. I'm going to have to try out some of their albums.

Pearl Jam aren't one my favourites, but I quite liked their first song, but was cringing at the terrible interviewing skills of Jools Holland and I thought their run begrudging run through of 'Alive' was anything but.

Almost Yearly

yeah The Spinto Band won the night easy peasy. Why haven't I heard of them? Right up my street, well one of my side alleys anyway. I'm gonna get me some.

Corrine Bailey Meh's no good with a band is she.

LadyDay

http://www.myspace.com/thespintoband

The nerds will inherit the earth, great fun.

I was quite disappointed that the one who looks like David Byrne wasn't the one who sings like David Byrne.

imitationleather

I missed Later last night (I was too busy not reviewing a gig, saddos!) but these Spinto Band chaps sound great. They're playing at the Barfly next week, I think I'll have to get myself down to that.

micanio

Pearl Jam fucking rocked..... but then they are my favourite band ever. I was looking forward to this all week and I wasn't disappointed although I agree with Al that Jools Holland's interview technique is awful. Alive was superb....

Jenny Lewis was amazing!!!! And the Zutons weren't have bad either - I'm starting to quite like them alot.

Corrine Bailey Rae was dull as fuck....

The Spinto Band were....odd....but very good with it though...

Marty McFly

yes yes, very impressed with the spinto band. like the rest of  you slags.

and hasn't jools' interview technique always been awful? part of the 'charm' of the show, surely.

Goldentony

Spinto Band are really good, managed to see them live some time in January i think it was and they were energetic as hell and just a lot of fun.

Pearl jam i've never really been into at all and kept switrching over when they were on but the last song they did was ok, as far as i remember.

Corrine Bailey Ray is/was awful, reminds of some sort of insurance advert music, and that song she had out a week or so back sounds exactly like that Virgin mobile advert from around xmas, the "im gonna be udner the tree" thing.

Quoteand hasn't jools' interview technique always been awful? part of the 'charm' of the show, surely.

The interview he did with pearl jam was odd, it reminded me of Noels Addicts from Smell of Reeves and Mortimer "lets have a look at you when you looked SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT".

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Marty McFly"and hasn't jools' interview technique always been awful? part of the 'charm' of the show, surely.
Haha, yeah, I still have flashbacks to some of the interviews he's done with heroes of mine where he asks the most awful questions possible. Like when he asked Mick Jones who it is smashing the guitar on the front of London Calling. I don't really mind Jools Holland but his interviews are terrible and make me angry.

Goldentony

He had red spatz on his shoes aswell, that was annoying me a lot more than it should.

Cack Hen

I've got the most recent Spinto Album and it is absolutely fantastic. Really great. I recommend.

imitationleather

How many albums do they have? Allmusic.com only lists one, but that's frequently completely wrong.

But yes, I've been listening to the album today and it's really good.

Cack Hen

They do, according to Wikipedia they've been around since 1997 and have about five albums. But really frustratingly, I can't find anything out about them. They don't appear to be on sale anywhere at all and I can't even seem to download them.

This will piss me off if I can't track down their older stuff because this is the best album I've heard all year (despite it being a 2005 album)

chand

They're one of those bands that's just broken through recently, and their old stuff is probably deleted. No doubt if they do well it'll all get reissued.

poor fool

Can somebody tell me the name of the song the Spinto Band done on the telly?

Godzilla Bankrolls

I missed Later, but Brown Boxes has kazoos on it.

The albums not great, they remind me of The Killers and a load of other soundalike bands that get played at student discos these days. I do have a soft spot for Did I Tell You and Oh Mandy though.

Cack Hen

The Killers? I think that's a bit harsh. The Killers make fairly dull indie rock. That's not what I'd call this, I'd call this great pop music.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "poor fool"Can somebody tell me the name of the song the Spinto Band done on the telly?
Brown Boxes and Oh Mandy. Brown Boxes was the first one, and the one I prefered, I've been listening to it pretty much constantly since.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, I have only heard what was on Later but I don't think they are very Killers-y, they remind me of TMBG and Arcade Fire and other people, but their sound on Later was quite original I thought. I found them a lot more instantly likeable than the Killers as well.

imitationleather

Actually, now I've listened to it a few times I'd say The Spinto Band's album is patchy. Towards the end it wanders off into generic indie nonsense, but there are some absolutely superb songs on there. I particuarly like Crack the Whip, although Oh Mandy and Brown Boxes are great too.

I liked their awkward personas on Later, even though it's clearly an act and soon as they get off the stage they take off their nervous and confused facial expressions, warm up the crack pipe and jump straight into the nearest groupie. Ah well.

Duckula

Spinto Band are excellent live, saw them the other week.

I agree the album is a bit patchy but Oh Mandy is one of the best pop songs in recent years.

terminallyrelaxed

I thought the Spinto Band, Corrinne Bailer Rae and The Zutons were fantastic. Everyone else wasn't too bad, I only flicked over when Jamie Fox came on and I realised he really wasn't kidding about it being a bedroom album, it was too silly to watch. Pearl Jam were, well, Pearl Jam. I was quite impressed that they banged out Alive note-perfect, they muct be sick to death of it.

I thought The Spinto Band were annoying as fuck, particularly the affected I'm So Whacky jerking movements of the bass player/singer.

I thought this week's was largely Meh, with the exception of Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins who were great.  As for Pearl Jam, didn't like them then, don't like them now.

Friday's looks great, though - really really looking forward to seeing John Fogherty...

Godzilla Bankrolls

The Spinto singer turns into Malkmus towards the end of their album for some reason.

chand

I was surprised no-one said that before, the first reference I thought of when I saw them play was Pavement. Certainly more than The Killers, at least.

chumfatty

Am i the only one who thought The Spinto Band were crap, They  seemed to be trying too hard to be different for being differents sake. It had the kind of 'if you don't like it then you don't understand it' vibe to it when really it was awful to watch. The expressions on some of their faces, that sort  of ironic sillyness you get from 1st year students made me cringe in embarrasment.

Obiviously I thought Pearl Jam were good, (as a fave of mine), not a big Zutons fan but they sounded really good, not my kind of thing but I do not begrudge them their success. The others I wasn't too fussed about to be honest, and yes Jools' interviewing  is awful.

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
I thought this week's was largely Meh, with the exception of Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins who were great.

Friday's looks great, though - really really looking forward to seeing John Fogherty...

Forgot about Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, they were indeed very amazing. John Fogerty you say? I didn't think anyone else had heard of Creedance. I don't know why that is, I've educated enough people. Now I'm really looking forward to it too.

Am I imagining it or was there a 'Best Of...' not long ago? Old Jools has really had some cracking moments, I remember some corkers; Burning Spear, Groove Armada with Richie Havens, that Slomo kid, and once they had these geeky bunch of nobodys in, they banged out this corking song called Yellow and my jaw was on the floor, what were they called again, oh yeah, Coldplay. It was a stunning performance and I'd never heard of them beyond a couple of posters on the tube, I reckon it launched their international success. Shame they overdid it and got the backlash, 'I was into Hanson when they were undergound' etc...

terminallyrelaxed

I don't think the Spinto band were overdoing it really, it was bone-throw from Jools so they had to make a good show of it, and theres a lot of it about at the moment - they reminded me of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah a bit - but I think they were just hamming along to the kooky tune. No worse than They Might Be Giants in their heyday, and I can't stand them.
Actually, thinking of TMBG has finally given me something to post in the 'people with annoying voices' thread.

LadyDay

Quote from: "chand"I was surprised no-one said that before, the first reference I thought of when I saw them play was Pavement. Certainly more than The Killers, at least.

Pavement you say? Someone else got that too...

http://www.glasswerk.co.uk/index2.php?db=national&page=reviews,review&id=3033

I am so dead...