Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The latest series of Later...

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, May 06, 2006, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Yeah, I told him to write that.

Cack Hen

Whoever said that they sound like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, you're bang on the money. That slightly lanky one who plays the banjo sounds exactly like the singer from CYHSY, almost identical on Oh Mandy. I really think it's a generalisation to put them in the same camp as The Killers, they're much more jangly and rough around the edges. They might ham that up a bit but I don't mind.

Anyway, incase you wanted to see it again, I uploaded it to YouTube-

Oh Mandy

Brown Boxes

LadyDay

Pfft, I said that ages ago, and I have a witness!!

Thanks for the upload!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Marty McFly

well, john fogerty was fucking great wasn't he?

Brutus Beefcake

Those crazy jew guys were great.

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"No worse than They Might Be Giants in their heyday, and I can't stand them.

You are a horrible monster and I pray for your death.

Almost Yearly

C'mon, a begrudging word for 'Nicolle' too, the french fuckers. :-)

chand

Camille, wasn't it? Unless that's some kind of joke I'm too stoopid to get.

Enjoyed last nights, Camille was good, I already quite liked Matisyahu, and Rodrigo y Gabriela were ace.

Gnarls Barkley next week, looking forward to that.

terminallyrelaxed

Bugger, only remembered half way through. Camille was different, I'll give her that. Bit pissed off that I only caught Fogerty ill-advisedly doing rockin all over the world; maybe someone told him it was really popular in the UK.

Marty McFly

what?! fogerty wrote that song!!

Almost Yearly

Yeah, but I got the feeling Jools' request for it was genuine, if reiterated for the cameras.

Camille, yeah, that's it, no hidden joke, just a fuck up and a victory for the Renault brand.

benthalo

Next week's line up seems like the crowd-pulling acts were all available in the same week only: Dave Gilmour, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello, The Streets... Should be worth a look.

Repost from the SDJ thread, originally whacked up by the lovely Ms Q a few months ago.

Camille - Les Ex

Brutus Beefcake

Gnarly Barkley would be a hell of a lot better without that twat making the stupid sound effects.

Sovereign

I tell ya something, that Gnarls Barkley singer guy has got a belting voice!

Brutus Beefcake

No denying that, the mans got soul!

Sovereign

Brutus Beefcake

The video game noises are just distracting though.

dan dirty ape

Wow. Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello duetted on a version of Lee Dorsey's "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further" (which Toussaint wrote, of course). So that was all good.

terminallyrelaxed

Did anyone catch this last night? If not I'd advise watching the repeat, it was ace.
I missed the Strokes first song so can't say either way, but their second one was OK as were the Flaming Lips if you like that sort of thing.
Obviously I switched over to the footy for the Divine Comedy as I can't have that nonsense, but everyone else was stunning, Cat Power was very good, Plan B was very impressive indeed and Raul Midon just completely blew me away, its worth watching just for him.

chand

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Raul Midon just completely blew me away, its worth watching just for him.

Yeah, he was great. Not sure how good his stuff is in general, but the guitar on that song was ace.

Cat Power was great, I think most of her songs are fairly tedious but I love her voice.

terminallyrelaxed

You can watch last night's on the BBC website, very very small.

If you search youtube for raul midon it brings up various TV performances, a lot of the same sort of thing it seems...

Jaffit

I thought Raul was absolutely jaw dropping, my mouth was literally hanging open when he did that trumpet bit.

Its not just novelty either, the song was soulful as you like.

Cack Hen

Why on earth did they end it on Last Nite? We've all heard it a million times by now, everybodies sick of it, why not get the 'Lips to play out the episode and series with Do You Realize? Eh? Pfft.

terminallyrelaxed

I'm going to see what else from Plan B I can find...

Jaffit

He is talented for sure, not keen on the wide-boy rapping parts, much keener when he sings properly as he has a great voice.

rudi

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I'm going to see what else from Plan B I can find...

He has three tracks free to download on his site.

He's OK, but I find it all a bit samey. I like my HipHop to come with big wobbly beats... :)

TheWizard

Promo of  Plan B's album is out there. It's very good as it mixes up the beatz with the 'proper' singing songs.

terminallyrelaxed

I just thought it was quite different, original-seeming (cue forty links to websites about acoustic-guitar-based rappers), I like  that he's bothered to have some musical talent rather than just trying to be the new eminem like most young urban types you embarrassing themselves on the tube with their 'ryhmes'.

A Passing Turk Slipper

I only caught that song about crack that he sung, don't know if he did any others but it really was not my thing. Quite the opposite of my thing. His singing voice was really good but sometimes his lyrics were a bit crap. I found myself cringing a little bit. I just found the little rapping bits bad, and it sounded like he was either putting on a voice to sing or putting on a voice to rap, one of the two. Yeah, I suppose it was quite original (as far as I know) but I can't say I enjoyed it. I was really impressed with his proper singing voice though. The Flaming Lips were pretty good from what I saw but their cover of War Pigs didn't really add much to the original did it? He was having a bit of trouble hitting the 'in their mass-es' bits, I haven't heard much Flaming Lips though, does he always sing like that? I quite liked his voice actually. I missed most of it though as I was praying for Jack White to get interviewed on Friday Night with Jonathon Ross. David Cameron was interviewed and the Raconteurs were rolled on at the end to play one bloody song without any interview.