Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The World Cup

Started by Utter Shit, May 15, 2006, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

New thread requested, new thread made.

COME ON.

Utter Shit

P.S. here's the best anthem for England at the World Cup, brilliant stuff.

Now, it's no Three Lions - in fact it's not even Vindaloo, but it's waaaaay better than anything else out there at the moment (Embrace? Fuck off. Justin Darkness? Double fuck off), so jump on it. Superbly ripped off.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...iendID=76445283

EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND!

The Duck Man

This thread may prove interesting, where we all thought we'd be two years ago.

Also, all the announced squads are here

Borboski

Can anyone recommend where to get a decent wall-chart?  I always put one up, but haven't seen one lately.

I don't even know what footie mags there are these days, I used to read 90mins as a wee nipper.

Utter Shit

It was always about Match magazine for me, as a young'un.

Are there any good magazines nowadays? I very occasionally get 4-4-2 and it seems alright, not great though.

The Duck Man

I read 4-4-2 (an excellent read, in my opinion), but they haven't provided a wall-chart. My Grandparents gave me the one they got in the Telegraph, though, so I'm sorted.

I read Match as a nipper, until I realised that it was a Premiership elitist brainwashing magazine. I was a clever 11 year old, me.

Bilko

I got Shoot and Match when I was young.  I think Shoot is still going.  I got my World Cup chart in a Yorkie easter egg, got in my desk at work. Heres the BBC one http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl/hi/football/06/worldcup/pdf/wallchart.pdf

This WC is a Ok for TV times, compared to the 7.30 kick offs in Japan  If the kick off times were 1 hour later if would be perfect.  The game times are 2.00, 5.00 and 8.00.  Most of the 2.00 midweek matches are pretty crap matches apart from Spain v Ukraine.

Finally the BBC (useless tossers) have got the highlights of past WC matches on their website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/video_archive/default.stm
Some of them are quite lengthy, worth recording the stream me thinks.

Utter Shit

I'll be done with Uni shortly before the World Cup starts. The following month will almost literally be a feast of football, considering I will be spending the vast majority of my time watching football and devouring low-quality snacks.

I just want to quickly say that I fucking love the World Cup. You know that feeling you get when you're watching a midweek game on Sky, and then the adverts for the following week come up, and they are screening a Saturday morning kick off, a Saturday evening kick off and then a triple-bill on Sunday? That is the greatest feeling in the world, and the World Cup provides that on a daily basis.

Yes.

king_tubby

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Are there any good magazines nowadays? I very occasionally get 4-4-2 and it seems alright, not great though.

When Saturday Comes is full of intelligent and well written articles on all aspects of the game, and there's no player interviews with the accompanying sports manufacturer's logos plastered everywhere. They generally have a World Cup wallchart (and sometimes even stickers!) but I've not seen this month's issue yet.

The Duck Man

I'm not sure how many games I'll be watching this World Cup. Last time I started with great enthusiasm, watching every single game. But then I got bored and realised that I didn't really care what happened in Costa Rica vs China or whatever and so I sort of stopped watching all but England matches.

This time I think I'll strike a healthy balance, watch a fair number of games but not watch any game I'm not that interested in.

TOCMFIC

For the first time ever, EVERY game is airing live in Canada! I remember how the 1998 WC was treated. I remember having to bury my head in the sand for 10 hours to avoid the result of an England game because it was tape delayed.

Not so this year. Two different networks have co-operated and will show EVERY GAME live. We'll probably have the UK commentary teams as well, which makes me happy.

I love the World Cup. Not a big football fan. I've only watched about 3 games this year to be honest, but I love the WC. Especially the early rounds where you get the upsets. I always I remember South Korea vs Spain from 1994 I think it was. Spain were 2-0 up with about ten minutes to go, and the commentary team were writing off Korea saying they were done etc... Then they came back and scored 2 goals in the final minutes to get the draw. Fantastic match!

I tend to lose interest when England go out though. Here's hoping I don't have a reason to lose interest this year:)

Don't have to feel bad supporting England over here. I mean Canada aren't in it anyway, and there's also the fact that England are pretty much the standard choice for support here anyway. The store across the street from me has England DVD's. No other teams, just England:)

And being a racing junkie, right in the middle of the World Cup is the Le Mans 24 Hour race! WOOT! June is a fucking awesome month:)

Peking O

Quote from: "king_tubby"When Saturday Comes is full of intelligent and well written articles on all aspects of the game, and there's no player interviews with the accompanying sports manufacturer's logos plastered everywhere. They generally have a World Cup wallchart (and sometimes even stickers!) but I've not seen this month's issue yet.

Hurrah! Yes WSC is still great, and the new issue does indeed include a wallchart:

Charles Charlie Charles

Is Downing going?

Please say yes.

Is Dent going?

Ibid.

Utter Shit

Downing is going. After that, I don't really know what you're on about to be honest.

ccbaxter

Heretical almost to admit, but I've often found When Saturday Comes very disappointing and dully, especially over the last year or so, and the letters' page in particular seems not far off a football version of the local-paper-letters-pages/'Have-Your-Say' banality often, deservedly, mocked in this here parish...

Loved Match and Shoot! as a kid, and perhaps my proudest childhood moment was having a (banal, natch) letter on the Match letters page in summer 1987, indignant about some comments the Paris St Germain president had made about Glenn Hoddle while offering a measly £450,000 transfer fee... Not that I remember much about it, of course, but... ahem...

Funny how a lot of newspaper enthusiasm for the World Cup has grown again, in two distinct parts, over the past week: first the odd Walcott choice, then Gerrard's monumental performance on Saturday. The feelgood factor's back... for now...
Can't help but expect a few more of the "England stars in nightclub brawl'-style stories which briefly enveloped Bridge, Terry and, er, Defoe last week...

Am off to Germany for the first three weeks of the tournament, mostly south and central Deutschland and somehow managing a game a day... can't wait. Especially with it being the last European World Cup until 2018.
Who else here is heading over? And any memorable experiences of the last few?

I shall always cherish the memory of seeing Owen score 'that goal' in St Etienne. Then shake my head incessantly in shocked hurt at the moments joyously celebrating Campbell's 'winner', then the dim awareness from the corner of the eye that, hey, those sneaky Argies hadn't kicked off again properly and looked somehow about to score...

Charles Charlie Charles

Bollocks! I wrote Dent instead of Bent. Freudian slip, no knowledge of football, etc, etc.

He-he!

TheWizard

I was just about to mention the BBC highlights of previous tournaments package which I am going to sit and watch now. The 1966 one is nearly 45 minutes long.

Bilko

Quote from: "TheWizard"I was just about to mention the BBC highlights of previous tournaments package which I am going to sit and watch now. The 1966 one is nearly 45 minutes long.
Is that from the BBC website?

Im off to buy WSC tomorrow, just for that wallchart

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Charles Charlie Charles"Bollocks! I wrote Dent instead of Bent. Freudian slip, no knowledge of football, etc, etc.

He-he!
No Bent isn't going.

Charles Charlie Charles

Cheers The Duck Man Just looked on a Yahoo sports thingy and the squad is as follows:

1 Paul Robinson

2 Gary Neville

3 Ashley Cole

4 Steven Gerrard

5 Rio Ferdinand

6 John Terry

7 David Beckham (captain)

8 Frank Lampard

9 Wayne Rooney

10 Michael Owen

11 Joe Cole

12 Sol Campbell

13 David James

14 Wayne Bridge

15 Jamie Carragher

16 Owen Hargreaves

17 Jermaine Jenas

18 Michael Carrick

19 Aaron Lennon

20 Stewart Downing

21 Peter Crouch

22 Robert Green

23 Theo Walcott

Now looking here: http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/football/fapremiership/scorer.html
where's the justification in leaving the highest goal-scorer behind? Seriously, I don't get it? Crouch, at No. 33 over Bent at No.3? Is this right?

Bilko

Im not too keen in giving the ideal line up the 1-11 numbers.

TheWizard

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "TheWizard"I was just about to mention the BBC highlights of previous tournaments package which I am going to sit and watch now. The 1966 one is nearly 45 minutes long.
Is that from the BBC website?

Im off to buy WSC tomorrow, just for that wallchart

Yes, they have highlights of the 1958 and 62 finals but I thought I'd start with the first tornament review. They also have 11 mins of  highlights from the final seperate. 10 mins into the '66 and they've had the goals from 7 group games in groups A and C. I might end up watching one a night to get me in the mood.

and me too with WSC

Rolodex Propaganda

Those BBC videos look ace but it keeps cutting out every 30 seconds to rebuffer. I'm not on a shit connection either.

Anyway, i'm pretty excited about the World Cup. I love it but like others have been saying I tend to think i'll watch more games than I do. I can't honestly imagine saying "Go out? No thanks, Ecuador are playing Poland tonight!".

My plan this year is to watch all England, Holland and Brazil games and as much as everything else I possibly can especially if it's one of our potential oppenents. This rule is of course completely ignored when a) it's two crap teams or b) i'm not in a super happy mood, and therefore don't feel brave enough to sit through ITV's awful coverage. (the only bad thing about the WC is the fact that half the games are on ITV. For fuck sake!).

How long is it now? 3 weeks? There should be a downloadable WC Countdown for peoples' desktops.

TheWizard

Mine is cutting a lot not, I think 10pm-11pm are peak times for the BBC's video streame so that could be it.

ccbaxter

At least Bob Wilson won't be compering things for ITV this time around (even if Gabby Yorath is looking increasingly like the scariest of teenage Goth-girls with every passing week...)

I still break out in involuntary shivers when somehow recalling his 1998 exchange with Ruud Gullit, ahead of Italy-Chile...

Ruud: "... so this could be, hah, a very chilly game for the Italiansch..."
Bob: [just about saving himself slumping off-screen in paroxysms of mirth] "Heheheheheh, nice one Ruud!"

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "The Duck Man"This thread may prove interesting, where we all thought we'd be two years ago.

I don't remember predicting that Firefox v1.5 was going to win it, i'm sure I said I fancied the Dutch.

Can't wait for the World Cup, it's a welcome relief from all that BB shite on the other side.

My Giddy Aunt

Here's an excel thingy - frankly i think this fella might want to get out a little more.
The last couple of tabs might be of use mind.

http://www.michaelwray.co.nz/sheets.html

TOCMFIC

Rolodex: Yeah, I'm the same. Start with so many grand ideas, and about a week in say "Fuck this."

As it stands right now, as we have all games live, and the opening rounds don't clash, my plan is to watch at LEAST one game every day, probably more. I mean ideally, I'll watch every game, but that'll last until England's first game probably.

I've got my two disk "Fifa Fever" DVD here, which is nothing but World Cup highlights. Think I'll give that a watch again before the big day arrives, get me in the mood.

Will check out the BBC vids. May be a UK only thing. Good job I know some open proxies;)

TOCMFIC

Okay, I can't find any of these BBC vids?! Went to the link posted earlier but see no obvious link. (Not sure if it's being nuked because I'm outside the UK.)

Anyone got a direct link to anything? Mainly want me my son to see the 1966 one:)

Utter Shit

25 days to go, here's the schedule. I've highlighted the games I reckon are the most exciting. I'll blatantly end up watching most of the matches, but still.

Group A
Germany v Costa Rica
1700, Munich

Poland v Ecuador
2000, Gelsenkirchen

SATURDAY 10 JUNE

Group B
England v Paraguay
1400, Frankfurt

Trinidad & Tobago v Sweden
1700, Dortmund

Group C