Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The World Cup

Started by Utter Shit, May 15, 2006, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Beckham's captaincy and position in the starting XI are unassailable until Sven goes.  Originally there was some basis for him being captain as the idea was that he lead by example.

However, he's now actually one of the weaker players in the side and his tendency to cheat, not be respected by the younger players and have no idea of how to lead a group of men make his captaincy a vanity thing.
Beckham is one of the weaker players in the side? What rubbish. He's been magnificent for Madrid this season - far and away their best player - and he was excellent in our qualifying campaign too. He even managed a good performance in the Northern Ireland debacle, something no one else managed.

I don't think he should be captain, simply because the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Neville and to a lesser extent players like Ferdinand and Carrick are more natural leaders, but I don't see the harm in having a captain who leads by example - the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Neville will show the same captaining qualities whether they're wearing the armband or not.

Oh yeah, Ferdinand will be found out again this summer. He's shit.

And Anton should just fuck off for England's sake.

Carragher is an unsung hero.

Utter Shit

That would be the same Ferdinand who has been our best defender at the last two international tournaments.

Wind it in, for Christ sake. Ferdinand's a big game player - you can't excuse him fucking up against West Brom or some similar shite, nor can you forgive him playing rubbish in the 4-1 massacre by Denmark, but he's a big game player and he's never let England or United down when it's mattered.

I disagree. He copes on the back of his reputation. He is lazy and a poor reader of the game. He also is quick to pass the blame although he generally needs no help in that department.

I would like him to prove me wrong but sadly he's like many a defender. He's a reject striker.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferdinand impressed me back in 2002 but these days I am much, much more doubtful. his performance against Uruguay was abysmal. Terry had to keep bailing him out as he squandered possession in a game where Uruguay were sitting back and letting us have the ball.

That said, I know he's talented and on occasion can be the best in the world. Carragher is solid and dependable and very very good, but on ability I'd choose Rio. Carragher is the perfect man to have in reserve though.

I know Rio can be slick and that's nice to watch but defending is about reading the game and that is an art I admire also. Do the hard work and maybe then show off. The thing is Ferdinand isn't doing enough of the former.

But he has a good hair style

Quote from: "Utter Shit"That would be the same Ferdinand who has been our best defender at the last two international tournaments.

No that would be the Ferdinand who didn't play at the last tournament.

(I know, i could have sworn he played in '66)

micanio

Quote from: "Ro·lo·dex Prop·a·gan·da"
How long is it now? 3 weeks? There should be a downloadable WC Countdown for peoples' desktops.

World Cup Countdown for you all

the midnight watch baboon

BBC sport has a countdown on its World Cup site, and a predictor thingy where you can guess all the scores and final outcome. I eneded up with Argentina beating Brazil in the final, and England 3rd, Italy 4th.

The Duck Man

My predictor thing came out like this:

Second Round
England to beat Germany
Argentina to beat Mexico
Sweden to beat Costa Rica
Netherlands to beat Portugal
Italy to beat Australia
France to beat Spain
Brazil to beat Czech Republic
Ukraine to beat Switzerland

Quarters
Argentina to beat England
Italy to beat France
Netherlands to beat Sweden
Brazil to beat Ukraine

Semis
Argentina to beat Italy
Brazil to beat Netherlands

Final
Brazil to beat Argentina
(Italy 3rd)

I had us finish second in the group, after a loss to the Swedes. I'm not sure whether that's pesimisstic, but they're fucking organized are Sweden.

the midnight watch baboon

Yeah Duck man, I put England to beat Sweden, but I'm not that expectant about it due to our terrible track record about them. I'm glad we're playing them last tho, as we normally start off poorly, of late- 2-3 to Portugal at Euro 2000; 1-1 v Sweden at WC'02; 1-2 to France at Eyro 2004.

Thinking back to that last result, I hope Stevie G doesn't try any ill advised backpasses in the final minute of a delicately poised match!

chand

Quote from: "depressed beyond tablets"I disagree. He copes on the back of his reputation. He is lazy and a poor reader of the game.

I think Ferdinand has a bad reputation because he normally looks so comfortable and people mistake that for laziness. He doesn't have a gut-busting, all-action demeanour, but come on, he's a genuinely talented defender, and United's defence has always been better with him in than out.

Bilko

Quote from: "depressed beyond tablets"I would like him to prove me wrong but sadly he's like many a defender. He's a reject striker.
Wow, thats quite a generalisation there, and totally wrong.  At what stage in Rio's career was he told he wasnt good enough to play upfront and by whom.

mwude

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"At least if that is true it'll provide a clear enough watermark for the level of influence sponsors have in international football.

Was the first example of this Nike insisting that Ronaldo was pumped full of drugs in order to be able to play in the '98 final?  Or had it happened even before that?

TOCMFIC

See on the BBC site they say if you've got digital, you can have the BBC commentary, the Five Live commentary, just the stadium sounds, or even foreign commentary?

I would KILL to be able to watch the games with just the stadium sounds. That'd be fantastic and create an amazing atmosphere akin to being there.

But no, TSN and Sportsnet here will probably pick up BBC and ITV respectively, which means listening to crack smoking commentators. (And John Motson hopefully.)

The Duck Man

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"I would KILL to be able to watch the games with just the stadium sounds. That'd be fantastic and create an amazing atmosphere akin to being there.
It wouldn't really, though, would it?

That's the default here in China, no commentary. It's very odd although clearly better than Chinese commentary. It doesn't feel like you're watching a live game though, reminds me of Channel 4's Italian football for some reason, probably becase of the two-camera system.

Bilko

Quote from: "mwude"Was the first example of this Nike insisting that Ronaldo was pumped full of drugs in order to be able to play in the '98 final?  Or had it happened even before that?
In the opening game of the 98 WC, Brazil played someone called Giovanni from the start against Scotland.  He got subsituted at half time and never played 1 sec again in the tournament.  I remember Danny Kelly saying something about him being picked to suit the sponsors.

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"It doesn't feel like you're watching a live game though, reminds me of Channel 4's Italian football for some reason
The C4 coverage of Italian football had Peter Brackley in a studio in Soho commentating over the game.  The stadium sound always sounded lifeless, something ITV do so well.

Mr. Analytical

Is that how it pans out then? Germany in the second round and Argentina in the Quarter Finals?  Sweet Jesus... I bet Sven's happy he's going.  Easy group stages will inflate national expectations followed by two knock-out matches against the old enemies, both of which we've beaten recently.

Anything short of a semi-final exit would probably finish an England Manager's tenure.

...and even that would lose my support as I REALLY REALLY hate Italy.  I hate the Italian national side more than I hate rape.

As for Ferdinand

http://www.celebritymessages.com/viewProduct.aspx?id=RFSAEC002

He's hardly been exemplary this season has he?  He might do well if he can recapture his form from the last World Cup but I'd be surprised if he could... too many watermelon-flavoured Baccardi breezers have passed under the bridge.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "depressed beyond tablets"I would like him to prove me wrong but sadly he's like many a defender. He's a reject striker.
Wow, thats quite a generalisation there, and totally wrong.  At what stage in Rio's career was he told he wasnt good enough to play upfront and by whom.

I thought he started off as a central midfielder but didn't have the sharpness. Something Fergie found out when he tried his 95th Keane replacement tactic.

Bilko

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Is that how it pans out then? Germany in the second round and Argentina in the Quarter Finals?
Depends, if we finish in the same position as Germany do in their group, we will avoid them and play either Ecuador/Costa Rica/Poland.  

For the Quarter finals it could either Portugal, Holland, Argentina.  Its pretty certain to be one of those teams in the Semi's too if we get that far.

TOCMFIC

Usually I just watch random matches, but I think this year I'm going to pay attention to the grouping, and who we might face.

I'm never watching a World Cup again if Germany stuff us once again...:)

rjd2

Um looking at the squads I have to say I am very impressed with the Argentinean squad. Obviously as the manger has proved him to be more tactically inept in the last few months than Graham Souness then I would be wary of them but if they can click and not bottle it like they should be Brazils closest challengers. The group is a bit of a nightmare though. The French Squad is a bit weak regarding the midfield but they won't do much anyways.

argy squad

Arqueros: Roberto Abbondanzieri (Boca Juniors, Argentina), Leonardo Franco (Atlético de Madrid, España) y Oscar Ustari (Independiente, Argentina).

Defensas: Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruña, España), Roberto Ayala (Valencia, España), Gabriel Heinze (Manchester United, Inglaterra), Juan Pablo Sorín (Villarreal, España), Lionel Scaloni (West Ham, Inglaterra), Gabriel Milito (Zaragoza, España), Nicolás Burdisso (Inter, Italia) y Leandro Cufré (Roma, Italia).

Volantes: Maximiliano Rodríguez (Atlético Madrid, España), Javier Mascherano (Corinthians, Brasil), Esteban Cambiasso (Inter, Italia), Juan Román Riquelme (Villarreal, España), Luis González (Porto, Portugal) y Pablo Aimar (Valencia, España).

Delanteros: Carlos Tevez (Corinthians, Brasil), Hernán Crespo (Chelsea (Inglaterra), Lionel Messi (Barcelona, España), Rodrigo Palacio (Boca Juniors, Argentina), Julio Cruz (Inter, Italia) y Javier Saviola (Sevilla, España).

humanleech

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"The stadium sound always sounded lifeless, something ITV do so well.
Somebody else has noticed that! The crowd have always been louder on BBC coverage - when they've shown the same game at the same time the difference is quite dramatic.
As mentioned earlier:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/bbc_coverage/default.stm

QuoteThe World Cup on BBC interactive television.Press the red button for a host of World Cup options.
Viewers will have the audio choice of BBC match commentary, Five Live's commentary, the real-time noise from the stadium - or the fascinating option of listening to commentary from foreign broadcasters.
Press the red button and kill Motson! Digital TV comes into its own at last!

The foreign broadcasters will be my choice, because you'll get the names of the players.

Toad in the Hole

Motson really has been deteriorating, hasn't he, over the last 5 years or so.  He now really IRRITATES THE FUCK OUT OF ME when I'm watching any match on BBC.  Lawrenson is nearly as bad.

And don't get me started on fucking Ian Wright.

humanleech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/4985244.stm

Probable Rooney decision on 25th May. I don't think he will go, in which case, who should go instead - Jermain Defoe or  Andy Johnson?

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "afrayn"Motson really has been deteriorating, hasn't he, over the last 5 years or so.  He now really IRRITATES THE FUCK OUT OF ME when I'm watching any match on BBC.  Lawrenson is nearly as bad.

And don't get me started on fucking Ian Wright.

What was he like then?:)

Mr. Analytical

Lawrenson seems to be under the misguided apprehension that he's some kind of comedian.  

By the By... did anyone hear about Beckham's last appearance of the season for Real?  scored twice but had his knee strapped-up and was substituted before the hour mark.

wheatgod

Quote from: "humanleech"Probable Rooney decision on 25th May. I don't think he will go, in which case, who should go instead - Jermain Defoe or  Andy Johnson?

Was that a joke? Between those two, Defoe is the only choice.
Sven has said he'll keep Rooney in the sqaud as long as theres a chance of him being fit in time for the final, which is 9th of July, just about a full month after England's first game, so thats far more likely than him being fit for kick off on the 10th. I wouldn't expect a decision on the 25th.

I fear England will regret taking Jenas/Hargreaves instead of an extra striker. I hope to be proved wrong.

Commentators. Am I right that its reasonably recent that commentators have become quite partisan in England's favour? Used to be far more impartial in my mind, and Motson used to be far less irritating, so perhaps the two are connected. Have to say I do like Lawrenson though. Shoot me. On Boumsong - "Its like he's never played in defence before". Haven't heard it put better than that.

TOCMFIC

All I know is I wish I had the option of the stadium sounds.

Sadly, Five Live could be an option for me over the net, but the streaming will be about 20 seconds behind what I'm seeing, so I'm stuck with whatever geriatric twats ITV and BBC use I guess.

Of course, it could be worse. I could be stuck with Canadian commentators. (Oh god that would suck so bad.)

Was looking forward to Motson, but I've not heard him since Euro 2004, and from what you guys are saying, it sounds like I can chuck him on the list of "Folk who make me want to pour cement in my ears".

Cock...