Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zyban

Started by Captain Mildred, March 11, 2004, 06:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Mildred

Well, it's been a fun 17 years, but I'm about to try quitting smoking.

The doc's prescribed Zyban, which was apparently designed as an anti-depressant but failed in tests.
Smokers involved in the trial, however, noticed they lost the urge to puff.

Apparently possible side-effects include some wicked dreams and a 1 in 1000 chance of an epileptic seizure.

Anyone tried this? Did it work/help?

Reverend Minge

My neighbour tried Zyban but it didn't find it any help.

What you've got to conquer is not the nicotine withdrawal, but the brainwashing that fags do to you - I mean, how will you ever enjoy a social occassion or drink ever again? That's what's going through your mind isn't it?

Forget Zyban, buy Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" - this guy just cuts through the whole mystique of cigarettes. There's no scare tactics and best of all, he insists that you smoke as much as you like throughout the whole book, so there's no risk in picking up the book and giving it a go.

By the last chapter you'll be looking forward to stopping - and I say this as an ex-smoker who used to smoke 20+ a day and around ten joints daily on top. And I've got crap willpower.....

Captain Mildred

Thanks Rev, heard good things about that book.
Guess I'll give Zyban a go too, brain could use a little messin' with  right now.

fanny splendid

I keep thinking this thread is about Sybian, and from what I have seen, it certainly takes your mind of smoking.

TraceyQ

I quit about three weeks ago. Well, I say "quit" I've had three in as many weeks. Did it cold turkey but now I'm tempted to go back to it as 10 years of lung-crap is forcing it's way out of me. I've got a horrible cough and my skin's gone dreadful. It'll be worth it in the long run, though.. I think.

Quote from: "Reverend Minge"Forget Zyban, buy Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking"

My housemate got through a ten deck reading that book, I know other people who've used it and manged to give up for a month or so.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Reverend Minge"....and I say this as an ex-smoker who used to smoke 20+ a day and around ten joints daily on top.

Bloody hell, did you have an account with Space Raiders or what?

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Reverend Minge"....and I say this as an ex-smoker who used to smoke 20+ a day and around ten joints daily on top.

Bloody hell, did you have an account with Space Raiders or what?

And that was just weekdays. Looking back I sometimes wonder how I held down a job.....

Geej

OK Scare tactics time - you asked for opinions and I'm gonna give one.

One of my friends sisters was on the study group for Zyban and the basic answer is don't use it.  She suffered what can be considered a serious side effect and had a major breakdown, leaving her a manic depressive. - yes she may have been more likely to have a breakdown, and the drug just amplified it, but for fucks sake - is it really worth it?

Use the gum, patches, books, hypnosis - whatever, but don't just throw another random marketing drug into the mix for fun.

Oh and good luck.  I gave up, and then got hooked on the nicotene gum for 5 years... and i've just quit that.  Oh for a lovely pack of Camel Lights...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "fanny splendid"I keep thinking this thread is about Sybian, and from what I have seen, it certainly takes your mind of smoking.
:-D  Caroline does it for you too, eh?

Abbie

Zyban has had some bad press hasn't it?  I thought it was implicated in a couple of sudden deaths or something - I recall a young lady being on the news for ...

Stop waffling Abbie, found it:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,478616,00.html

Edit>  That's not of course to say don't take it, your chances of dying of smoking related illness if you don't give up are most definately higher than your chances of dying from taking Zyban, but its always worth knowing the risks.  Good luck!

Captain Mildred

Criminy. That's disturbing - thanks for that Abbie.
Funny how the doc failed to mention any of that.

Had planned to start taking it on Monday - probably still will but will have a think.

I mean, a million Americans can't be wrong.

Wait, what AM I saying??????

Mr Custard

I would definitely recommend patches; I tried them a few years ago, and it made it vastly easier than my previous cold turkey attempts. If you do give them a go though, I would recommend starting on a day when you don't have much to do; I felt a bit peculiar for the first couple of days on them, although I'm not sure if that's a common thing or not. The only minor problem I had was a drunken night 6 months later which started me back off on the slippery slope. Havimg said that, I believe the possibility of adverse reactions is mean to be about equal for all forms of stop smoking stuff, and while it is possible to have a very bad reaction to Zyban, the numbers of people who have suggests that it's very unlikely.

Pinball