Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Newspaper Usage

Started by Spingles, May 21, 2006, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred read?

Sun
3 (3.2%)
Mirror
1 (1.1%)
Mail
4 (4.3%)
Express
0 (0%)
News Of The world
1 (1.1%)
People
0 (0%)
Independent
18 (19.4%)
Telegraph
2 (2.2%)
Guardian
57 (61.3%)
Times
7 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: May 21, 2006, 08:51:29 PM

Spingles

What newspapers do CaB users read, or otherwise prefer?

(Buggering poll made me delete about six options).

- Spingles -

Utter Shit

The Guardian, but I only read the Sport section and G2...and on Fridays I read the Music/Movies section. Never bother reading the actual news bit.

Go With The Flow

It's a potent combination of Guardian/Observer for me, and I usually get any papers with free DVDs in. There's a place by Liverpool Uni where you can get discounted papers, which is ace.

EDIT: And I avoid the Sun at all costs, not as I'm from Liverpool - but becauset it's a shite paper! Bdum Chh and all that.

Gazeuse

Spingles

I prefer the Guardian, despite it's intermittent liberal dogmatism (not that I read any more than one in fifty editions). I'm backing a mix of Mirror and Guardian in the final result.

My shop only sells about two Guardians a day, and around 40 Mails!

Edit - Bloody hell! All of the handwringing Guardianistas!

chav

Can I be annoying and ask why there is no "none of the above" option? The web pretty much does everything I need in a paper. OK, I read Grdn Unltd the most.

Spingles

Because I want preferences, and ten is the maximum for a poll. And having just seen someone vote for the Daily Mail, I have to cover all the bases, really.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "chav"Can I be annoying and ask why there is no "none of the above" option? The web pretty much does everything I need in a paper. OK, I read Grdn Unltd the most.

I don't read newspapers either

zozman

Guardian on the net mainly, but I get the Sunday Times sometimes.  The Times has the best foreign news by a mile.

TOCMFIC

I always used to read The Times. Great paper. (And The Sunday Times  on those Sundays I had to work.)

The local papershop closed down after a while, so I had to rely on the car sales guy where I worked (a petrol station) to get me my paper. I still remember one day he came in and said "I couldn't get The Times, so I got you this instead."

He plonked a copy of The Sun on the counter and stuck his hand out for his 20p...

Spingles

Funny that you needed someone to go elsewhere for a paper, if you worked in a petrol station.

Oscar

I'll read anything I find on the bus or in our kitchen (shared house). The only paper I'll buy usually is the Guardian, I quite like the news in there, but the constant obssession with Lifestyle winds me up, perhaps because I don't understand it. I've bought the Independant a few times when they've had "We're all going to die!" headlines, because I figure if we're all going to die then I should know. But then we don't die and nothing much changes and I've worked out that actually if we are going to die and there's nothing I can do, then it's probably best not to know.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Utter Shit"The Guardian, but I only read the Sport section and G2...and on Fridays I read the Music/Movies section. Never bother reading the actual news bit.

I'll have to change my post now.
I read the G2,and the Media on Monday/Tech on Thursday/Films on Friday supplements. As well as the Guide/Weekend. Like fuck I read the "real" section. I also read the OM/various theme magazines every Sunday.

wasp_f15ting

I buy  FT / Guard-server / Telegraph quite regularly, but reading broad sheets as paper forms is such a task in itself. I just read their websites when I dont have the time to sit and read. The Guardian these days is good for reviews and "links to new things" but for the rest the internet is far more than enough.

Suttonpubcrawl

I find something unbearably pretentious about a lot of stuff in the Observer, even though I read it. It's as if the journalists there actually live the kind of lives being talked about over in that art films thread, or at least want you to think they do. Ah, while I'm talking about the Observer, is anyone agreed with me about Mariella Frostrup being an awful columnist? Her advice column is horrible, someone will write to her about some situation and she'll just slag them off!

Purple Tentacle

Urgh, if I ever needed proof that I'm more right wing than you bunch of moaning whining flannellers....

...I buy the only paper more whiney and moaney than The Guardian, the Independent. But at least it doesn't have Sam fucking Wollaston, or Zoe fucking Williams writing articles about victims of burglary being stupid selfish capitalists.

wasp_f15ting

Well when you look at the adverts you can gauge who its meant for. £2k for a desk lamp.. c'mon who the fuck can reasonable afford that shit?

Did you read the OMM article on that lily allen? Littered with profanity for no reason. I guess the only people who really buy the Observer-guardian are people who are pseudo lefties in the core but run a huge company, or are doctors / lawyers etc. Plus the student crowds, seeds materialism in us at that crucial stage. Plus they add stories of students being stabbed to death for volunteering too, so stay in your £1m apartment and furnish it with lots of lamps and fur from the ass of the finest goat in nepal.

Oscar

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Urgh, if I ever needed proof that I'm more right wing than you bunch of moaning whining flannellers....

...I buy the only paper more whiney and moaney than The Guardian, the Independent. But at least it doesn't have Sam fucking Wollaston, or Zoe fucking Williams writing articles about victims of burglary being stupid selfish capitalists.
Aha! so it is all an act, I'll bet you sit at home wringing your hands, lamenting that there's nothing you can do to help all the suffereing children and the polluted seas and the oil soaked seagulls. Feeling guilty because no matter what you do, it's just never enough. No wonder you get stressed and angry. Try reading the Daily Mail, I guarantee that in a few weeks you'll have that warm smug glow of knowing that it's all everybody else's fault.

slim

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"...I buy the only paper more whiney and moaney than The Guardian, the Independent. But at least it doesn't have Sam fucking Wollaston, or Zoe fucking Williams writing articles about victims of burglary being stupid selfish capitalists.
I'm reading the Indie these days and I'm starting to find it even more irritating than the Guardian, but for a different reason; namely their hypocrisy. I can't remember an example now, but they keep running articles that contradict other actions... like criticising 4x4s on an article next to an advert for the Mitsubishi Tinycock, or headline articles about packaging waste contained in... plastic packaging.

Fuck all papers.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Spingles"Funny that you needed someone to go elsewhere for a paper, if you worked in a petrol station.

It was an old fashioned petrol station that was pretty much stuck in a time warp from the 1950's and literally just sold petrol, oil etc...

The shit I used to take from cunts for not selling Mars Bars, as if it was somehow my fault...

Sovereign

The Guardian has been my family newspaper since forever, since it was the Manchester Guardian and everything. My Dad buy's it on principal because he comes from a time when the Manchester Guardian used to mean something, but from what I read its not much better than any of the other broadsheets. Its left-leaning, but only in a very patronising and inconsistent way, which is probably what they're after seen as its marketed to appeal to the self-loathing, guilty-for-being-middle-class, psuedo-lefties who have pretentions of being left-wing and radical but send their kids to private school (you can't mess about when it comes to your own kids, after all...)

My dad also votes labour out of habit, and out of a "keeping the tories out" mentality that doesn't seem to acknowledge that Labour has been infilitrated by tories and is now carrying out a thatcherite agenda. Tragic, really.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Sovereign"My dad also votes labour out of habit, and out of a "keeping the tories out" mentality that doesn't seem to acknowledge that Labour has been infilitrated by tories and is now carrying out a thatcherite agenda. Tragic, really.

I'd vote for the Natural Law party out of a "keeping the tories out" mentality. Unfortunately, they have now disbanded so I'll never get the chance to.

sproggy

Notch another Indie up for me, mainly at the the weekends when I can spare a few moments to actually sit down and give it the time it deserves to be read properly.

hencole

Don't know whether this is just me, but I've noticed that the Guardian is always the first paper to sell out. They could ncrease their circulation by a lot if they bothered to print more copies. This seems to be the same in most parts of the country.
Anyway the Guardians become increasingly right wing this century and it's politics aren't as defined as they once where. Pragmatism seems to have overtaken ideology and ever since they supported the war in Iraq they seemed to have lost a lot of the things that first attracted me to the paper in the first place.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I read The Guardian or The Independent when I have the money available to spend on such guff (two or three times a month), and it's only when I need something to do whilst either waiting for something or on a journey to somewhere. In any other circumstances I don't need and I don't want newspapers. They poison people's minds and get them worked up about issues that wouldn't have bothered them otherwise.

The net is a far, far superior method of news gathering and provides the whole spectrum of opinions for you to form your own. And the BBC is on it!

genital panic

The Guardian, mainly because its quick crossword is the best. I was gutted when they made the crossword bit on the Unlimited a pay service, my crossword habit now costs me around £4.70 a week. I'll read the G2 and the sport sections but shamefully rarely read the proper bits.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "gnatt"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Urgh, if I ever needed proof that I'm more right wing than you bunch of moaning whining flannellers....

Aha! so it is all an act, I'll bet you sit at home wringing your hands, lamenting that there's nothing you can do to help all the suffereing children and the polluted seas and the oil soaked seagulls. Feeling guilty because no matter what you do, it's just never enough. No wonder you get stressed and angry. Try reading the Daily Mail, I guarantee that in a few weeks you'll have that warm smug glow of knowing that it's all everybody else's fault.

Ha, I do get the feeling that if you got a week's worth of Independent front pages, you could have Steve Coogan looking straight to camera flicking through them going 'Is THIS cool? Is THIS cool? Is THAT cool??'
I abstained from buying the fucking issue edited by Bono Vox as well, the big cunt.

I dunno, I left the Guardian after many years because its whining and naivety just angered me, and now the Independent seems hell-bent on making the reader feel as guilty as possible, although I do like their political reporting, but where the hell do you go after that? The Times? Too Murdoch-y and pompous. Er... and that's it! Every other newspaper is right-wing and poisonous!

What is there for the centre-ist 26 year old male who doesn't feel particuarly guilty about how they live their lives, but doesn't believe that all coloureds and gays are immoral cancers upon Britain for the British society?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cookd and Bombd?

Thanks newspapers- but we don't need you anymore.

Oscar

QuoteWhat is there for the centre-ist 26 year old male who doesn't feel particuarly guilty about how they live their lives, but doesn't believe that all coloureds and gays are immoral cancers upon Britain for the British society?
I've often wondered about that, apart from the 26 year old male bit. And without the Lifestyle stuff, I know I'm repeating myself, but I really hate the Lifestyle stuff.

Quote from: "hencole"Don't know whether this is just me, but I've noticed that the Guardian is always the first paper to sell out. They could ncrease their circulation by a lot if they bothered to print more copies. This seems to be the same in most parts of the country.
That used to be because they didn't allow returns- i.e. newsagents couldn't send back unsold copies for a refund.  As as result shop owners would be more cautious about how many they ordered.  I thought the policy had changed but it does indeed seem to sell out quickly so maybe not.

Yes it's the sodding (Saturday) Guardian/Observer for me as well.  Mind you, they do end up being hurled across the floor/furiously scribbled on with increasing regularity these days.  Did anyone read in the property bit of the Observer last week a hideous puff piece about some romantic novelist's "Starter Castle"? I was going to post a link here but it seems to be the one bit of the Observian that's not on line.

Stoke Newington (where I live) and Littlestone (where my Mum lives) have an inverse Guardian/Mail ratio relationship.  Fey media wankers and ruddy, thick-set inbreds have different news needs.