Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"I Can't Believe They're Not DEAD Yet!"

Started by Garfield And Friends, May 24, 2006, 04:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
D'ye ever forget that a particular famous person isn't actually dead yet?

Often I've come across references (either in normal conversation, or on the wwweb) about old celebrities where it's assumed that the person has passed on, when the reality is not the case. I suppose that this speaking of certain famous personalities in the past tense is down to a few things - their heyday was a few decades ago, or they've been absent from the spotlight for many years, et cetera. Some people that fit the bill for me are:

Cyd Charisse (great 50s dancer/actress)
Doris Day ('wholesome' actress/singer)
Arthur C. Clarke (sci-fi author/part time inventor)
Ernest Borgnine ("McHale's Navy" comic actor)
Henry Kissinger (Nixon-era diplomat)
Zsa Zsa Gabor (actress, and the original paris hilton)
Mickey Rooney (actor with peak popularity during WW2)
Stan Lee (comic book writer, co-creator of Spider-Man, "Excelsior!")
J.D. Salinger (wry catchy author)
Marcel Marceau (default french mime artist)

(as of 24th May 2006, heh heh heh)

I was going to include Ariel Sharon, but he's been in the spotlight too much and while not very dead, he's very nearly dead.

Which living famous people do you sometimes mistake to have been long-since expired?

The Duck Man

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Stan Lee's certainly not dead. He cameos in nearly every film of a Marvel comic and then, when the DVD comes out he appears on the special features to explain how he alone came up with the idea.

Bogey

You sound rather like you're talking about Vertical men (and women) to me, sir.

Jemble Fred

No, I think this is the nasty version of that.

I vote for Jack Douglas, because it always seems odd that ANYONE from the Carry Ons are still alive.

TotalNightmare

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"No, I think this is the nasty version of that.
Yeah, this isn't necessarily about celebrating the good and great, but just more of "Fuck me! I thought that that freak popped his clogs some time back in 1983 or so!"

Jemble Fred

Keith Richards, obviously. But in a different way.

Bob Dylan. I thought he was dead until very recently.

Richey Edwards, ha ha.

Murdo

VegaLA

Jimmy carter is not only alive but very active. He opened a hospital just the other month in Washington along with Billy Gates. A gust of wind did threaten to flatten him with the makeshift wall on the ceremonial stage but security came to the rescue.

Yeah, Carter still does a fair bit of work in the limelight, especially with his Carter Center diplomatic stuff. Gerald Ford hasn't done much in a public capacity in a long long time.

Deadman97

My old guitar teacher, Paula Probert. She must have been seventy-odd when she taught me over a decade ago. Fascinating woman, German don't you know, helped shelter and hide Jews during the second world war. She'd been on my "assumed dead" list for years until I saw her walking around town a few weeks back. Incredible guitarist, too- she could rock a Malaguena that would make you shit your pants.

Alberon

I always have to remind myself that Michael Foot isn't dead whenever I think of him. Had to for years.

Margaret Thatcher is getting to the same point for some people perhaps, but I'll always be very much aware whether she's alive or dead.

opyty

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"Gerald Ford hasn't done much in a public capacity in a long long time.
Betty Ford is still alive, kicking and probably still knocking back the gin so that maybe why Gerald doesn't get out so much.

I was surprised that Solzhenitsyn is still alive. Maybe he's invincible.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was sure Christopher Lee was dead a few years ago, but then he started appearing in Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and now he's apparrently the most bankable actor in Hollywood.

imitationleather

sam and janet evening

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Bob Dylan. I thought he was dead until very recently.

Actually turned 65 today. Happy Birthday Bob! *waves*

hands cold, liver warm

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Alberon"Margaret Thatcher is getting to the same point for some people perhaps, but I'll always be very much aware whether she's alive or dead.

You're damn straight, I've got my eye on this one as there'll be a killing to make on bunting and champagne on the stock market...

Baxter

Time is catching up with the bitch though

Alec Douglas-Home ((July 2, 1903 – October 9, 1995)
Edward Heath (9 July 1916 – 17 July 2005)
Harold Wilson (11 March 1916 – 24 May 1995)
James Callaghan (27 March 1912 – 26 March 2005)
Margaret Thatcher (13 October 1925 - TBA)
John Major (29 March 1943 - TBA)

zozman

Ted Heath's dead?  I'm not bothered two fucks, but that one passed me by.

Marv Orange

Ray Harryhausen, seriously this guy seems to been making stop frame animation for 70 years and he still taken on new work.

opyty

Ray Harryhausen ? Are you sure it's not some elaborate stop-motion animation making it look like he's still alive ?

Bogey

Referred to in the bleakness thread, Edmund Hillary.
Surprised me, that one. He's 86 I think.

Purple Tentacle

Michael Jackson.

The pop singer non-paedophile, not the former Controller of Channel 4.

Michael Jackson.

The former Controller of Channel 4, not the pop singer non-paedophile.