Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Xbox360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii - The next generation of console gaming

Started by InfiniteFury, May 25, 2006, 08:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be your main next-gen console?

Playstation 3
33 (16.3%)
Xbox 360
41 (20.3%)
Nintendo Wii
101 (50%)
The next-gen consoles do not interest me
27 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 202

Voting closed: May 25, 2006, 08:19:30 PM

InfiniteFury

(This is to replace the existing thread so don't anyone get their knickers in a twist...)

So, er, Table Tennis!

Next-gen gaming eh? Choh!

Mr. Analytical

That's a bloody crafty price point... how many families come Xmas are going to go "Hmmm... £425 or £150?"

Purple Tentacle

Marv Orange

For the PS3 it will be illegal for people to sell the discs on. Sony will still own the discs and you'll be buying the license to use them.

(probably covered in  the old thread)

Mr. Analytical

Not true...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17283

Sony have openly stated that these rumours are without foundation... though the people who tried to get the second-hand game market shut down can fuck off.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I just sort of assumed I'd buy a PS3 at some point, because of the backwards compatibility and new Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Grand Theft Auto games, but four hundred and twenty five quid is enough to make me think again. Even when the price comes down it'll still be steep.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"I was right!
Hooray!

Ooh, I see you edited that post, did it previously insult me cruelly?

To be honest, £150 was what I considered to be the more unlikely end of the scale. Great news that this will be the price. The incredible thing is that this means the Wii will be £100 cheaper at release than the N64 was 10 years ago. (Fucking hell, is the N64 really ten years old? I feel ancient!)

Frinky

EFB

I got an Xbox360 recently and I'm very taken with the online stuff, downloadable demos and the high def games. Love it. The controllers are far better than the PS2 controllers. There are a distinct lack of small, fun, cheap games for it though. For that, I plan to get a Wii.

I was all set to wait for the PS3, but Sony have shot themselves in the foot with the release date and the price. Even if the graphics look photo realistic, its hard to justify that amount of money for it. And the online service will have to be something bloody spectacular to beat xbox live.

AlexS

I saw an interesting chart on Joystiq not too long ago showing how, when taking into account inflation and such, the Gamecube had the cheapest launch price of all time.

I wouldn't get too excited about that price, as i think its more likely to be around £200, with VAT and the usual price hike for Europe/UK. Eg DS Lite is $120 in US (without TAX) and ~$190 in UK (with tax) PS3 Premium $600 in US and $800 in the UK. Taking the US price, converting it into pounds and adding VAT rarely gives you the UK price

Mr. Analytical

No, this is Nintendo saying it'll sell for £150.  Not Nintendo naming a price in dollars or yen and then someone else guessing.  £250 and £150.

wheatgod

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"I just sort of assumed I'd buy a PS3 at some point, because of the backwards compatibility and new Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Grand Theft Auto games, but four hundred and twenty five quid is enough to make me think again. Even when the price comes down it'll still be steep.

GTA will is coming to the 360 too, not sure about Silent Hill but MGS is always a port possibility too. People shouldn't go for the PS3 just because of its admittedly fantastic AAA titles, can always play them at a mate's. Sony really are having a laugh with that price.

I've noticed that I've mellowed quickly to the next-gen names. When "360" was announced I chuckled, and "Wii" seemed like corporate suicide. But they do seem... right.

Mr. Analytical

I think you'll find that the whole "exclusivity" thing is now essentially defunct.  Any game worth having will appear on both major consoles, at least if it's from a third party developper.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

In that case I may well go for an XBox 360. I'm guessing that by the time the PS3 comes out the 360 will have dropped in price too.

The Wii looks interesting, but I can see the controller being little more than a underused gimmick.

AlexS

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"No, this is Nintendo saying it'll sell for £150.  Not Nintendo naming a price in dollars or yen and then someone else guessing.  £250 and £150.

Sorry i can't see where it says £150 in that link, help a lazy guy out

InfiniteFury

Anyone in any doubt as to how essential rumble can be for games now should check out Table Tennis for the 360. The whole control system is so immersive I really am very impressed.

Bad Sony. Bad bad Sony.

Suttonpubcrawl

Will GTA be coming to the Wii? It won't will it? It's just that if it does, I will not need any other next gen console.

InfiniteFury

I shouldn't think so - just because it's not playing the same hardware, graphics game as the other two. Rockstar are the kind of people who will want their flagship title in full multi-orgasmic polygon whatever. I can't see them bringing out a graphically reduced version of it, them being them.

Suttonpubcrawl

It was my understanding from what people said that although the hardware of the Wii isn't as powerful, it's helped by the fact it's sticking to standard definition. The X-box and PS3 need all their games to work properly in HD so they can't optimise them as effectively for SD. So would the graphics really be such a big issue? Besides, the graphics for GTA on the PS2 aren't that amazing, they seem fairly functional but nothing spectacular to me. It's the gameplay that's the big draw.

Frinky

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Rockstar are the kind of people who will want their flagship title in full multi-orgasmic polygon whatever. I can't see them bringing out a graphically reduced version of it, them being them.

Yes, their pop-up afflicted, slowdown-ed, buggy, drive-crushing release of SA for the PS2 was a real technological tour de force!

InfiniteFury

I would take your sarcasm as a literal truth personally and I would argue that San Andreas on the PS2 was an incredible technological tour de force.

Frinky

Ah, c'mon, it was terrible. Yes, it might have been the work of devil magic that it ran, but it was still a terrible optimisation. Rockstar can't be that concerned if they're happy to release a version that bad as the only version available for several months (and to the largest user base). You'd think they'd actually make it optimised for the PS2, rather than making a game and then squeezing it in to fit.

Purple Tentacle

I played SA on the PS2 a while after I'd finished playing it on the PC, and was amazed at how shite it was on the Playstation version.

I never played the Xbox version, however.

Purple Tentacle

Hang on...

I upgraded my motherboard, graphics card, RAM and processor a few months ago, and now I can play Oblivion perfectly happily on my PC. Probably about as good as the Xbox360, maybe better, I dunno.

That cost me just shy of £400, maybe £350. (I try not to remember).

Why the fuck would anyone pay £475 (call it £500 with a game) for a console, when they can get a kick-arse PC for the same amount? If people are that fussed about playing on a telly and with a joypad (cretins), then stick  it by a TV and get a £10 joypad adapter.

slim

That's why I have a PC and no consoles. I can't understand it either. That's not to say it's wrong, I've just not been attracted to consoles since Zelda on the N64.

To be fair, if you're starting from scratch a kick arse PC is more like £900, which is a lot more than £150 for a Wii.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "slim"To be fair, if you're starting from scratch a kick arse PC is more like £900, which is a lot more than £150 for a Wii.

Hmm.. £150 for a monitor, £40 for a case/power supply, £100 for a hard drive, £30 for DVD drive, £50 for some nice speakers....plus an extra hundred might come into it if you REALLY want to ramp the specs up... I suppose so.

Oh yeah, and 'purchasing' an operating system, hardy har har.

Still, at least with a PC you get, y'know, multimedia capabilities that aren't behoven to Sony or Microsoft, and you can do a shit load of other stuff with it.

Besides, who starts from scratch these days anyway?