Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:51:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Xbox360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii - The next generation of console gaming

Started by InfiniteFury, May 25, 2006, 08:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be your main next-gen console?

Playstation 3
33 (16.3%)
Xbox 360
41 (20.3%)
Nintendo Wii
101 (50%)
The next-gen consoles do not interest me
27 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 202

Voting closed: May 25, 2006, 08:19:30 PM

Fry

Quote from: HappyTree on July 26, 2009, 03:49:26 AM
Beyond Good & Evil 2

Whoohoo!!!!! All my dreams have come true. I never evn knew they were making a sequel. One of the best games I ever played, that was. Just fun.

HAPPY HAPPY MAN!

stickiwee

Got Wii sports resort today with the new motion control. There are 12 games some a lot better than others. Basically the sword game, the frisbee, Archery and table tennis are all winners, very addictive shit. The frisbee has the most impressive mechanics, you can even throw a duffer along the ground if you put too much into it (just like the real thing). All the above games (and the golf)  have proper 1 to 1 movements, as the wii mote should have originally been.
Cant be arsed to write a full review, pointless anyway (just look at gamespot/ign).  I would personally say it is just about worth buying if you have someone around for 2 player swordfighting, otherwise i wouldn't fucking bother with it.

chand

Quote from: HappyTree on July 26, 2009, 03:49:26 AM
Beyond Good & Evil 2

Whoohoo!!!!! All my dreams have come true. I never evn knew they were making a sequel. One of the best games I ever played, that was. Just fun.

Yeah, they released a teaser trailer ages ago, and more recently this bit of footage which no-one quite knows what to make of but looks pretty cool anyway.

eluc55

I've been on a Zelda marathon this last month or two. Played and completed Link to the Past, Majoras Mask and now playing through Twilight Princess again.... by golly, Twilight Princess is inferior compared to the rest. It feels so charmless and empty compared to the other games. Where they have memorable characters and an abundance of ideas, this one feels so bloody po-faced and dreary; a real victim of the trend towards realism and "dark" games, in an industry already saturated with them.

By contrast, Majoras Mask is even more amazing than I remember, and probably one of the best games ever made. It's also deals with much darker, and more surreal themes, but in a less heavy handed, dreary way.

DocDaneeka

Ooh yes Majoras Mask is my favourite Zelda, Love that big old moon leering down at you as the world ends.

Got my Wii Sports Resort & Motion Plus in the post today and so far it's rather good. I like the smacking of people with sticks and the archery best so far. The motion plus seems alright so far, it feels more accurate but that could be down to the placebo effect. Hopefully the success of Sports Resort will make developers support it and it won't disappear like other add-ons.

mikeyg27

If you now have Motionplus, let me strongly recommend the new Tiger Woods.

Quote from: eluc55 on July 26, 2009, 11:04:00 PM
I've been on a Zelda marathon this last month or two. Played and completed Link to the Past, Majoras Mask and now playing through Twilight Princess again....

Bah! I was on the second-to-last dungeon on Link to the Past when my hard drive went kaput. There's probably a karmic lesson about using emulators here, but I refuse to heed it. I might start Wind Waker properly, although I've a few games on the go that I really should complete first (like Eternal Darkness and, funnily enough, Ocarina of Time).

Little Hoover

See I've only played Ocarina and Twilight princess, but I found the whole world of Ocarina annoyingly cutesy and twee, even though it is still a good game (and it might partly be me being more resentful of those things at the age I played it) it's not like I'm for dark edgy games instead but, it's a little too far in the other direction. Even though Twilight princess is a little lacking in charm, it struck a good balance, and I thought midna was a very good character.

Judging by what I've heard, I'd imagine Majoras Mask would easily be the best though.

eluc55

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 27, 2009, 07:51:50 PM
See I've only played Ocarina and Twilight princess, but I found the whole world of Ocarina annoyingly cutesy and twee, even though it is still a good game (and it might partly be me being more resentful of those things at the age I played it) it's not like I'm for dark edgy games instead but, it's a little too far in the other direction. Even though Twilight princess is a little lacking in charm, it struck a good balance, and I thought midna was a very good character.

Judging by what I've heard, I'd imagine Majoras Mask would easily be the best though.

Oh, Majoras is superb, easily my favourite. It takes the more likeable but "twee" designs from Ocarina and then places them in an alternative world which is doomed to die in three days time. Its packed with genuinely touching, and cleverly explored themes of seperation, loss and death... all the masks you use to transform are the lingering souls of people Link has seen die, and if you fail to reverse time, you see the moon hit the city and annihilate everything in a nuclear explosion. It's the music that really makes it though. It works on a time system of 3 days, which you can restart like Groundhog Day, and each subsequent morning, the music becomes more wierd, until the last 6 hours before the Moon hits, when it becomes incredibly eerie and sad.

Yet throughout all this, there are so many charming, memorable characters, sub-plots and stories; so any colourful, imaginative places and people that you actually care when the timer starts counting down those last few hours, and they all realise that they've left it too late to escape.

Fantastic, almost perfect game, I think, and easily one of the best I've ever played. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I finished it and I'd recommend anyone with Wii points to download that over any other game available right now.

Clone Army

Majora's Mask is wonderfully crazy at points too, culminating in a possibly-imaginary, rainbow coloured, screaming scarecrow dancing around to a marimba solo.

Is that the one with the vaguely demented music box player in the windmill too?

La da daaaaaaa la da daaaaaaa deedleeedle diddle de!

HappyTree

Quote from: chand on July 26, 2009, 10:12:08 PM
Yeah, they released a teaser trailer ages ago, and more recently this bit of footage which no-one quite knows what to make of but looks pretty cool anyway.

Excellent! That looks "boss". Kinda like Mirror's Edge but with better graphics and in 3rd person, which is better I think as you can see how cool the moves she's doing are. I hope the magical atmosphere is maintained and it's not gone all dusty desert on me.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Absolutely. Majora's Mask is a remarkable game. It could have so easily been Ocarina of Time two, but they came up with an original, unique design that's still unsurpassed.

It's certainly the best Zelda game in terms of compelling characters. The very fact that almost everyone in the game is an individual with a side-quest of some kind has never been bettered.

Twilight Princess suffers from a focus on building an immense world, then leaving it relatively empty. I wish game developers would stop building these enormous maps, unless they intend to make use of the space.