Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:43:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Xbox360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii - The next generation of console gaming

Started by InfiniteFury, May 25, 2006, 08:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be your main next-gen console?

Playstation 3
33 (16.3%)
Xbox 360
41 (20.3%)
Nintendo Wii
101 (50%)
The next-gen consoles do not interest me
27 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 202

Voting closed: May 25, 2006, 08:19:30 PM

bill hicks

Is it actually possible to hit the motherfucking ball in Table Tennis then?

I'm playing on easy and waltzed through the tutorial getting 5/5 on everything first go.

The movement controls are as shit as every tennis game ever. Since you place the ball with the same control you move with after hitting a shot unless you take you finger off the stick immediately your character decides to run off the screen and sit in the stands. Unfortunately as the table is small you have no chance at all of getting back in time. At least in Virtua Tennis when this happens you can at least attempt to run back.

And in order to hit the fucking thing back you basically have to have a sixth sense and choose a shot and placement  BEFORE it comes back, otherwise you swing long after the balls gone.

I have yet to win a fucking game never mind a match.

Frinky

Suttonpubcrawl

Mr. Analytical

I thought that when I saw the clips of it.

How fucking dull... MORE armoured marines facing wave upon wave of slavering beastie.  I swaer, games producers wouldn't recognise an original concept if it raped their mothers and wiped it's bloody member on their shirts.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"Speaking of graphics, this article raises an interesting point.

Nice idea but the article then goes on to say :

QuoteOn the Sony stand, a demo of Heavy Rain featured a leading character with such authentic facial animation you could see emotions flickering into life with just the slightest muscle tweaks. Epic Games' demo of its Unreal Engine 3 showed hundreds of boulders cascading down a hill, accurately reacting to each other and the surface. When LucasArts revealed the latest Indiana Jones videogame, the company focused on the "euphoria" behavioural simulation engine by NaturalMotion, which claims to create computer-controlled characters that behave like people through simulated movement.

All of which are about how the game looks.

"Oh we're not that interested in how a game looks... it's all about physics.  Check out the facial animation on this guy... W00000t!"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"I thought that when I saw the clips of it.

How fucking dull... MORE armoured marines facing wave upon wave of slavering beastie.  I swaer, games producers wouldn't recognise an original concept if it raped their mothers and wiped it's bloody member on their shirts.

None of this matters if its really really good though. I do realise that your criticisms affect the likelihood of this being really really good, but if it does end up being really really good- I don't think the originality of it will matter.

Milo

Housemate just got an Xbox 360 and I'm a bit underwhelmed. Games looked nice enough but nothing truly amazing - though the other people here seemed to think they were amazing. Doom 3 on my aging PC looks nicer than Fight Night 3, Far Cry and Hitman 3.

Couldn't get the hang of Fight Night at all, either. The things I was doing on the pads I just could not connect to what my fighter was actually doing. Maybe that's just me.

On the plus side, the pads are very comfortable indeed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I remember not being particularly overwhelmed by any of the first lot of Xbox games. Halo played terrifically but it wasn't initially impressive graphics wise. It took a while before developers got the best out of the platform and you got the likes of Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splnter Cell. I expect it'll be the same with this too.

I've seen elements of games I've found impressive with the X360 but nothing has quite grabbed me yet.

Still Not George

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"I'd love a Wii

Etc etc.

RHX

Elaborating on my previous post: enough people for a Table Tennis tournament at around 10:30 tonight? Even if not, anyone fancy a couple of games around that time?

bill hicks

Quote from: "RHX"Elaborating on my previous post: enough people for a Table Tennis tournament at around 10:30 tonight? Even if not, anyone fancy a couple of games around that time?

I'm up for it.

I solved the problem expressed in my previous post. The answer? DO NOT MOVE EVER.

Mixing top and right spin and aiming sharp to the near right side of the table fucks up Jesper every time.

AlexS

Quote from: "Milo"Housemate just got an Xbox 360 and I'm a bit underwhelmed. Games looked nice enough but nothing truly amazing

Have you got a HDTV? It does make a difference although still nothing breathtaking, even the second generation games are nothing to shout about.

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Personally I categorically do not give a shit about graphics and I think you're a bit of a divvy for being impressed with the MGS4 preview... they're fucking pre-rendered cut scenes! um-nuuuh!

Fair point. I'm more excited about playing the game, really. Apparently (although they have been doing this with every other game) that it will be Hideo's last.

Mr. Analytical

Well maybe then they'll turn the series over to someone who realises that he can't write and that he isn't a film director.  I'm harsh but despite that I thought MGS3 had its moments.  It's just that MGS2 was SUCH a terrible terrible game...

RHX

Quote from: "bill hicks"
Quote from: "RHX"Elaborating on my previous post: enough people for a Table Tennis tournament at around 10:30 tonight? Even if not, anyone fancy a couple of games around that time?

I'm up for it.

Do you have my Live tag? If so, invite me to a game around 10:30, if not, add RHX. I look forward to having a decent Live game (got my arse kicked earlier)

VegaLA

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "bill hicks"Is it actually possible to hit the motherfucking ball in Table Tennis then?

You must be struggling because I love it and the controls are so intuitive. Absolutely fantastic. Spent hours on it last night. In terms of gameplay and replicating the sport, it might be the best sports game evaaaaa. Online is a right laugh too. Had an 80-shot rally with someone last night and we were in fits.

bill hicks

Nah I solved the problems long ago now, currently in the final of the Rookie Tournament against Cassidy. Has anyone played against her and know what her weakness is? I can't seem to find the right service or spin to fox her as Jesper.

Sorry RHX, I was caught up in something else last night and couldn't make it on.

RHX

It's ok, I ended up getting hooked on the single-player mode anyway, lost about an hour trying to win the final of the first tournament.

You (or anyone else) fancy a match tonight?

InfiniteFury

bill there is a very simple way to beat Cassidy and most other opponents I'm afraid. I've found an almost unbeatable serve which involves staying centre (the default position), pushing up on the left stick and then using the green button to generate maximum spin and power - they struggle to return and knock it out 8/10.

A real shame.

The only time I've ever bought a console around it's lifetime was in 1995, when my best friend moved to America and was selling his stuff - got his Mega Drive and Sonic 2 for £10, which at the time was an obvious bargain. Christmas in the late 80s yielded a NES and a SNES followed on in 94 (I think). Otherwise, the whole thing has passed me by and my current enormous collection is from car boots, eBay and Gamestation.

However - despite the price, I'm really considering a PS3, for the NBA titles alone. My jaw is dropping over what I'm seeing so far, and that's just unfinished E3 demonstrations.

I know graphics aren't everything of course, but I don't see myself getting the hang of this Wii thing - to be honest, I think it'll be the death of Nintendo - what's the point in playing a tennis game when you're physically playing tennis? Just go and play tennis outside for fucks sake. Same for everything they're releasing - seems to be marketed as a party machine and not much else. Fighting with swords?? That's going to be an exercise in frustration. They should have had a standard controller option as well.

XBox360 - well, it'll be outdated when the PS3 comes out, and it's not like prices won't drop when Sony realises they can completely take Microsoft out of the picture by doing so.

I probably won't do it though. Have a phat PC, as the kids say. Games are cheaper (although you can't buy them and take them back to Game like you used to) and controls are sharper.

All hail the PC.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI think it'll be the death of Nintendo

If our poll shows anything of a general trend, perhaps it'll be the opposite.

bill hicks

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"bill there is a very simple way to beat Cassidy and most other opponents I'm afraid. I've found an almost unbeatable serve which involves staying centre (the default position), pushing up on the left stick and then using the green button to generate maximum spin and power - they struggle to return and knock it out 8/10.

A real shame.

I tried that but she kept returning. Probably not getting enough spin on it. I fins the old classic Virtua Tennis serve works well as well. Stand right off to the left of the table, aim for just over the net on the right side and put maximum right spin on it to take it very wide, when they return it slam it near left with topspin and they'll usually fluff the return. Works against the women everytime (excpet Cassidy and her evil side spin shots. Bitch).

InfiniteFury

Bitch.

Anyone else getting a problem with Live matches and a load of screeching Spectrum-ish noise coming on?

pandadeath

Well, seeing as this forum is mostly populated by Xbox/PS2 owners who are now thinking about buying Wii, it looks like Nintendo might inadvertantly snatch a few "hardcore gamers" now that Sony seem to have royally screwed up at E3. If they can do that and succeed in getting the so called non-gamers to play, then there's no way Nintendo can fail.

I don't think it will be the death of them anyway, even if it flops. They've got a hell of a lot of cash in reserve and they're still dominating the handheld market.

About the Wii controller, there was a rumour this week that it would contain a mic (which is a bit of a no brainer) and memory for storage of Voice Over IP addresses. I ran into a games developer after the pub closed last night and spoke to him about the Wii for a bit and he said that they confirmed those features to the developer a few days ago. The VoIP thing doesn't attract me to it any more, but I guess it could draw in a few non-gamers. Interesting move by Nintendo anyway.

Hypnotoad.

Well looks like there is now a home-installable hack for the 360 to play backups, anyone had the guts to do this yet? Involves updating the firmware on the DVD player and, I think, fucking around with the backup image of the game before writing it back to a (rather pricey....) blank DVD+R DL. Yes, thats an 8gb dual layer, write once disk......just paid 40 quid for 10 of the things from PC World

I'm thinking about it, but no doubt this will kick me off live when MS finds a way to detect it. Live is kinda central to the 360 experience isn't it?

Perhaps I should hold off for now.......

InfiniteFury

Yep, I'd say hold back for now until we know what MSs standard response to these things is going to be. Remember, they hold the right under the Ts & Cs of Live to pull your usage without warning or refund. This was evidenced by the bannings for Halo 2 modding if you remember.

(Not only that but I should think right now this is a topic of conversation that's probably not a good idea at the moment - there are warnings for dodgy discussions being doled out after all. Just saying like...)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

QuoteXBox360 - well, it'll be outdated when the PS3 comes out
Is that for definite though? I'm sure I've read articles sayuing that the difference between the two will be smaller than between the PS2 and the original Xbox