Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Armando Iannucci Shows

Started by 5:09am, February 03, 2004, 07:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5:09am

Helloooo

I've been reading this forum for several months now and I've decided that this rebirth gives me the perfect opportunity to sneak in under the tide of confusion. So here goes...

Having recently watched the almost complete rerun of the AI shows on C4, I was struck by just how fucking excellent it really is. I laugh out loud at EVERY single sketch. I can't think of any other comedy that so consistently hits the mark- the east end thug's 'alphabetical fuckpig' rant; Armando struggling to contribute to football banter- 'Brazil- they can run anywhere'; the barber's placid enjoyment at being stabbed; the reaction to the 'CUNTS' message from space 'Let me make a few calls'; the nun's speech to the group of middle-aged men 'no-one in this room will ever be an astronaut'. I have to physically stop myself from continuing this list because I would just end up transcribing the entire series.

(By the way, my brother can recite the entire script to Planes, Trains and Automobiles- it's entertaining for a bit. I must say I'm bored by the time they land in Wichita, so I just make him finish up in another room.)

I've read reviews that have dismissed it as clever rather than funny, but that's the kind of comment that you nod at initially before thinking 'hang on...' as you remember the experience of actually watching the fucker. It is certainly cleverly written, but that doesn't stop it being funny as a parrot and a...err... gibbon wrestlng in something or other... I don't know... beans? I've also read Armando dismiss it slightly as a small, personal project that he never believed would garner much support. But it's much more deserving than that. In fact I would rank it as the most successful comedy he's ever been involved in.

Am I the only one?

Well, that's it from me (leaves the room to a torrent of applause and back-slapping at a job well done)

Vermschneid Mehearties

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=108

Add your comments to here, mateyboy.

Thanks for all this pro-Iannucci spiel, your certainly all helping me win over my brother, who is under the impression that it was shite. He didn't find any of it funny except the paper house sketch at the start.

But then he has only watched two episodes, so I think he'll love it if he watches it all.

5:09am

I'd like to nominate my first post for the 'Most inauspicious start to a verbwhores career award.' For fuck's sake, I've been building myself up to contribute to this forum for ages, and then go and bollocks it all up with a topic of not only the same substance as one just below but with the exact same fucking title. What an almighty cunt.

I can't even leave on a high now that my ego has been so massively deflated....

Oh well, you live and learn

butnut

Hey - don't worry. It happens. Things can only get better.

And anyway, it's great to see so much love for Iannucci.

And it's rather fun seeing threads with the same name next to each other. I'm really tempted to start another 'The Armando Iannucci Shows' thread just to make the hat-trick

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "butnut"Things can only get better.

That belongs in SE.

butnut

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
Quote from: "butnut"Things can only get better.

That belongs in SE.

That belongs in school

That was the standard abbreviation of Sex Education wasn't it?

It's going to be on DVD. Good that innit?

butnut

I think you've won the award for the strangest *bump* of the year.