Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simon Goddard Moz album review & Tracklisting

Started by european son, March 12, 2004, 01:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

from the usual source

Interview as mp3 (6mb)  (smaller 1.5mb version)

You Are The Quarry

1. America is Not the World
2. Irish Blood, English Heart
3. I Have Forgiven Jesus
4. Come Back to Camden
5. I'm Not Sorry
6. The World is Full of Crashing Bores
7. How Can Anyone Possibly Know How I Feel?
8. The First of the Gang to Die
9. Let Me Kiss You
10. I Like You
11. All the Lazy Dykes
12. You Know I Couldn't Last

QuoteThere's a clipped drum sound almost a bit like New Order's "True Faith", quite electronic. And there's a lot of spaghetti western twangy guitars in it.

QuoteHis singing on this record is really, really fantastic, and his lyrics as well... There are some good jokes on this album... He's being very political, very controversial, but at the same time there are desperate, lovelorn, isolated, classic Morrissey and a real sense of him singing about himself and perpretraing his own myth...

QuoteThe Slum Mums doesn't appear on the album.... "Mexico" is not on it.

yay! Mexico was shocking.

QuoteIt's no great musical departure from Vauxhall and I, but in terms of production it sounds very contemporary.

QuoteHe sings about Americans being overfed warmongers. America is Not the World is a really strong opener.

all sounding really promising... roll on May really

mr rou-rou

I got two tickets from ticketline.co.uk today, even though it's showing as sold out elsewhere.

Just in case local whores had been dissappointed to find it sold out.

european son

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"I got two tickets from ticketline.co.uk today, even though it's showing as sold out elsewhere.

Just in case local whores had been dissappointed to find it sold out.

it's coming up as sold out now.... but i've already got m'tickets and am wetting my pants in anticipation.

Speciality meat product

TIcketline still have tickets!!?? I gave up after seeing SOLD OUT on their website. I might try them this afternoon then.

mr rou-rou

they did have some earlier on as well,

I tell you what <<RANT>> Piccadilly box office cunts can kiss my arse, I ordered pairs of tickets for about 8 gigs yesterday using their site, a handling charge on every order, not just the one charge for all 8, plus I've just found out they are more expensive than wayahead, so they made about £25 off me yesterday in handling and more expensive tickets, saw me coming, fuckers,

Wayahead's front ends http://www.seetickets.com/ & www.gigsandtours.com

any other ticket sellers you recommend?

european son

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"

they're all bastards as far as i'm concerned. when i saw the libertines in kentish town last year the ticket was £12..... wayahead, ticketmaster and ticketweb were charging booking fee PLUS £4.70 delivery (forcing you to have recorded delivery despite the tickets being cheap as) totalling about what, £6? half the price of the ticket.  got mine from that ticketline place in the end.

my Moz ticket (from ticketmaster) had lots of bits and pieces added and all.

on your average gig (not something which is insanely popular), the ticket companies make more on each ticket than the touts.

the venues should sell tickets over the net sans booking fee, and allow you to pick them up in advance from the ticket office if you want etc.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"they did have some earlier on as well,

I tell you what <<RANT>> Piccadilly box office cunts can kiss my arse, I ordered pairs of tickets for about 8 gigs yesterday using their site, a handling charge on every order, not just the one charge for all 8, plus I've just found out they are more expensive than wayahead, so they made about £25 off me yesterday in handling and more expensive tickets, saw me coming, fuckers,

Wayahead's front ends http://www.seetickets.com/ & www.gigsandtours.com

I couldnt agree with you more, Rou. I'm sick of being ripped off by ticket companies. My Yeah Yeah Yeahs tickets were £35 when all the bits and bobs were added on and I refused to pay £24 for 2 franz ferdinand tickets when the face value of them was £16. The Carling academy box office in brum will charge face value, as long as you pay in cash and can find a time when they are actually *open*.

Just as an aside, I fancy this NME tour thingy. the 22-20s are making rumbling noises in my brain.  Does anyone fancy a night  gigging and clubbing in Brum on the 26th?

Peking O

QuoteHe sings about Americans being overfed warmongers. America is Not the World is a really strong opener.

That's a bit rich isn't it? Firstly, he lives in America. Secondly he's looking a little on the portly side himself these days. I was a huge Smiths fan, but I can't bear the solo stuff, and this news doesn' t fill me with much hope. I mean, the guy couldn't get a record contract for years, it doesn' t exactly indicate that the new stuff is going to be any good does it?

QuoteThere are some good jokes on this album

That quote probably sums up how far he's fallen.

Abbie

Quote from: "Peking O"

That's a bit rich isn't it? Firstly, he lives in America. Secondly he's looking a little on the portly side himself these days.

Rich and lazy - how about writing something original?

pretty dead boy

QuoteSecondly he's looking a little on the portly side himself these days.

i don't think that's really true.  most won't be skinny in the way they were when younger, at forty four, but i don't think morrissey's looking at all portly or chin-ish.

Peking O

A quick Google image search proves Pretty Dead Boy's claims totally incorrect....

Morrissey, yesterday

pretty dead boy

haha ...
but really, though, here and here he looks pale and quite normal.  just older.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"I got two tickets from ticketline.co.uk today, even though it's showing as sold out elsewhere.

Wow, that is surprising. They were seated weren't they? If not, and it is unlikely, i will have to KILL YOU

mr rou-rou

aye, two seated tickets, not that I want to remain seated, can anyone tell me if I can get up and wander down the front or will the seat police get me?

european son

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"aye, two seated tickets, not that I want to remain seated, can anyone tell me if I can get up and wander down the front or will the seat police get me?

*horribly smug*, i've got a standing ticket, but you might have a chance to wander.

for bowie we all legged it down the front to dance, but slowly got ushered back to our seats... but that was an all-seater job, so no-one was meant to be standing. if yer lucky you could get a nearby pretty lady to "distract" security, and once you're in the standing bit there'll be no questions asked.

on the other stuff in the thread

- Moz was a little portly when i saw him in 2002, but not in a fat man way, more just middle-age. also he's skinnier than in 2000 or so.

- Bill Hicks was a rich American, most of the "politically active" students are well-off Westerners, as are most of those posting about Bush/Bliar/Iraq here. to claim that this means they can't comment on things because of this is a touch unfair.

example; Mike Moore is a fuck of a lot richer and fatter than Morrissey. Moore has made his career on writing about rich Americans, so the richness here would be even more apparent. but when i call Moore a lazy, patronising cynical filmaker who fritters away what talent he does have i do it by making reference to his work, not the size of his wallet or waist.

- Moz's career has been hit and miss, for sure, but the first half of Viva Hate, and all of Vauxhall and I and Your Arsenal, plus some other tracks here and there are fantastic, and equal to most of the Smiths career.

- the NME-perpetuated myth that the fab-ness of the Smiths rested on Marr and that Moz was a necessarily evil annoyance has been shown up for the bollocks it is by their respective solo careers.... Electronic were ok, but The Healers?!?!?

*sticks my neck out* i reckon the new album will be lovely, his best, but if its "only " as good as V&I or YA, i'll be more than happy.

Peking O

Quote from: "european son"example; Mike Moore is a fuck of a lot richer and fatter than Morrissey. Moore has made his career on writing about rich Americans, so the richness here would be even more apparent. but when i call Moore a lazy, patronising cynical filmaker who fritters away what talent he does have i do it by making reference to his work, not the size of his wallet or waist.

But you did say earlier in the thread that you thought Morrissey's new song about overfed warmongering Americans "sounded promising." Is it OK for Moz to make such comments about peoples expanding wastelines, but not you or I? Deriding Americans for being overfed is just so cliched, and something that the Moz of old would have steered well clear of methinks.

Quote- Bill Hicks was a rich American, most of the "politically active" students are well-off Westerners, as are most of those posting about Bush/Bliar/Iraq here. to claim that this means they can't comment on things because of this is a touch unfair.

Not questioning his right to comment at all. But why did he move there to be amongst the "overfed warmongers?" Quite possibly because he'd found himself out of his depth after flirting with some dodgy right wing subject matter/imagery in England? You have to admit there is a fairly delicious irony in Morrissey setting up home up under the Bush regime, criticizing it, but not once justifying his own past political leanings in that direction.

european son

Quote from: "Peking O"But you did say earlier in the thread that you thought Morrissey's new song about overfed warmongering Americans "sounded promising."

nah, sorry. my mistake for not being clear really. i meant that the album as a whole sounded promising. especially if Goddard (who previously said he'd not write a Moz book as he never really connected with his solo work) likes it that much.

i personally don't like overtly political songs, i like politics in songs to be a touch more oblique myself. i don't like the sound of that track myself, but think that "America..." won't be over the top because i know the chorus is "America I love you, but you are not the world", showing that Moz does get the dichotomy here.

Quote from: "Peking O"Not questioning his right to comment at all. But why did he move there to be amongst the "overfed warmongers?" Quite possibly because he'd found himself out of his depth after flirting with some dodgy right wing subject matter/imagery in England? You have to admit there is a fairly delicious irony in Morrissey setting up home up under the Bush regime, criticizing it, but not once justifying his own past political leanings in that direction.

bar an article he wrote when he was 14 or so, Moz has never dissasociated himself from his past views, be it his belief that "reggae is vile", or the lyrics to "Bengali In Platforms" or the downright sinister "We'll Let You Know". i don't concur with most of Moz's opinions.... i love a good burger and think the man's obsessed with Englishness to the point of monomania, as well as being a total cunt, but he's clearly not attempting to wipe the slate clean with "America..." in regards to that.

the lead-off single Irish Blood, English Heart in fact approaches the controversy of old head on, a move that seems either brave and smart, or stupid in the extreme.

in regards to Moz moving to LA, i think he did not because he felt "out of his depth" for reading Richard Allen and about waving a flag at some Madness fans, but for the same reasons as say, Lydon did. nice weather, a swimming pool and first showing of The Sopranos; i.e. personal, rather than political reasons.

Peking O

I suppose it's just down to personal taste and how much you're willing to turn a blind eye to. Seems a bit odd that you think he's "a total cunt" though! Not sure I'd fork out all that dosh to see someone if I felt that way about them....

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: "european son"[- the NME-perpetuated myth that the fab-ness of the Smiths rested on Marr and that Moz was a necessarily evil annoyance has been shown up for the bollocks it is by their respective solo careers.... Electronic were ok, but The Healers?!?!?

For what it's worth, I think the two The The albums Marr was a very large part of (Mind Bomb and Dusk) were fucking brilliant.

european son

for those that are interested.....

QuoteJust got reliable additional details to the new Morrissey-releases (Europe):

You Are The Quarry
ATKCD001 (standard jewelcase)
ATKLP001 (vinyl)
ATKDX001 (DVD/CD combo)
17. May 2004
Label: Attack
Distribution: Rough Trade

bonus DVD.... nice.

mr rou-rou

old news:

if you have broadband and soulseek, you can grab the channel4 program that aired last  summer, anyhoo I missed it, but now it is mine.

the filename is : Importance Of Being Morrissey (better quality).mpg (245MB)

QuoteDocumentary offering exclusive and extremely rare access to one of the most controversial, elusive and enigmatic pop stars of all time. Morrissey, the man who formed and fronted The Smiths and solo for the last 15 years, has always guarded his privacy.

He has not given a major TV interview for 16 years, but for six months he allowed Channel 4 cameras to follow him on tour, on nights out and even into his home in the Hollywood Hills.

Morrissey's mysterious nature has led to all kinds of myths attaching themselves to him: that he is celibate, eccentric, a manic depressive - even racist. Here he addresses all these matters directly for the very first time.

The programme also includes rare in-depth interviews with famous fans JK Rowling, Bono and Alan Bennett as well as Noel Gallagher and Kathy Burke. Nancy Sinatra is also featured taking tea with Morrissey in his LA home.

mr rou-rou

I got my Moz tickets in the post today and then read that Franz Ferdinand is the support act, that's a stroke of luck seeing as their tour has also sold out.

sorted, just thought I'd mention it for others going to the gig.

european son

yep, i saw the Franz were playing and thought of it as some great icing on an already lovely cake.

oh, and for those that are interested in hearing the first single, proper version and all, yoinked off US radio...

Morrissey - Irish Blood, English Heart (KROQ Premiere)

(thanks to Morrissey-Solo.com again of course, but i've stuck it on my own webspace because they're likely to take it down soon)

oh, and when the DJ says the LP is released in April he made a mistake which he corrected later on in the show.

That's one awesome song. Sounds so different from yer usual Morrissey fare.

The Mozza's back!

european son

Moz chatting about the record etc. on the Kevin & Bean show on KROQ.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

he's sounding as polite and charming as ever.

TraceyQ