Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:05:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cor! Du Jour (aka: Music videos, mainly of an 80s vintage, rediscovered c/o YouTube)

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, June 07, 2006, 01:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brutus Beefcake

Quote from: "Labian Quest"
Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"
Fuck 311.

Are you a bit of a Cure fan then?

And I just generally hate whiteboy ska-punk garbage.

Clinton Morgan

Apologies if these have been posted before

Pil on TOTP 'Death Disco'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVNG0kaPLtI

'Death Disco' video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW0mLIciFn4

King Kurt 'Destination Zululand'
(I hoped to find the TOTP performance which is my personal "wow!" moment when I was a kid. The one that looked like Vyvvyan wearing a kilt did it for me frankly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFlnWklCD4

Siouxsie & The Banshees  'Peek-A-Boo' on TOTP.
Once upon a time I lived in the Kent countryside and so was far far away from record stores and had to make do with taping music from the radio (or sometimes placing a tape recorder near the television set). When I was on holiday in my Taid's in Caenarfon I played this over and over again on my walkman causing the paper-thin bedroom floor/kitchen ceiling to shake during my stomping dance. This was my first exposure to the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eyCh5PGP_8

Bad Manners 'Can Can' on Beat Club
And I *still* like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_1ZqtlDfY

Ciarán2

Several wondrous videos of a 1987 "vintage".

Curiosity Killed The Cat "Down To Earth" A bit of a corker.

Level 42 "To Be With You Again" Mark King and pals larking about. Features a nude lady!

George Harrison "Got My Mind Set On You" Best video of the year (even better than "True Faith").

Mel and Kim "Respectable" Gorgeous. A highpoint on S/A/W's career.

Madonna "La Isla Bonita" Flamenco-y number one from March '87.

The Jets "You Got It All" I always thought the lyric to this was really cruel...

Johnny Hates Jazz "Shattered Dreams" One of the best pop singles of the year.

Pepsi and Shirley "Heartache" Hurrah! I was hoping to find "Goodbye Stranger" actually, but there you go...

Dollar "Oh L'Amour" Not from 1987 actually, and a TOTP appearance. Sorry about Steve Wright talking crap...

Whitney Houston "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" Houston's best single.

Boy Meets Girl "Waiting For A Star To Fall" A hit in the UK in '88. Very catchy.

Suzanne Vega "Luka" Lovely tune, terrific single, grim lyric, Vega on top form.

George Michael "I Want Your Sex" A bit crap. non?

Rosie Vela "Magic Smile" A bloody bloody underrated single (and album)!

Zodia Mindwarp and the Love Reaction "Prime Mover" Cripes!

Karel Fialka "Hey Matthew" The last word in novelty hits, and really rather profound. Probably.

The Jesus and Mary Chain "April Skies" Leaving the feedback to one side and making a bloomin' good top single while they're at it.

Pseudo Echo "Funky Town" Utterly appalling Aussie rawk cover. Er, enjoy! (???)

Prince featuring Shena Easton "U Got The Look" Call me taken aback! Crucial!

Mel and Kim "Respectable" Gorgeous. A highpoint on S/A/W's career.

That's such a fun song. Great dancing!
"Hey! They're hot!", so the man at the end says.

And to think it's about how the Irish refer to a hot cuppa. Tae! Tae! Tae! Tae!

Glebe

Haven't seen this since I was a wee snapper-I didn't even know who it was:

Ciarán2

^^^ Ahhrrr! MTUSA with Vincent Hanley on RTE each Sunday at 3pm before "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" 1983-1988. I Remember it well. I'm sure you also remember "Desert Moon" by Denis De Young...

Ciarán2

Some pop vids of a 1982(ish) "vintage"...

Spend an hour why don't you...

Yahoo "Nobody's Diary"

Toto Coelho "I Eat Cannibals"

Adrian Gurvitz "Classic"

Adam Ant "Goody Two Shoes"

PhD "I Won't Let You Down" Ugh, sorry that was dreadful wasn't it?

America "You Can Do Magic" Much more like it...

Toyah "It's A Mystery"

Weekend "Woman's Eyes"/ "Summerdays" Cor! Du Jour! indeed, I hadn't seen these until just now. Two very out of sync tracks from one the best albums ever "La Variete" by Weekend from Old Grey Whistle Test. Weekend were formed by Alison Statton after she left Young Marble Giants. "La Variete" ahs just beein reissued on CD with extra tracks. Waroooo! I'm going to have to start another thread now...

Bananarama and Fun Boy Three "It Ain't What You Do I'ts The Way That You Do It" How to look glum lessons from Terry Hall. And is that a youthful pre-mullet Pat Sharp introducing??

Spandau Ballet "Instinction" How to ape ABC lessons from 'ver Spands. This might not last too looooo-ooooonnnnggggggg!!!!!!!

Glebe

Quote from: "Ciarán"PhD "I Won't Let You Down" Ugh, sorry that was dreadful wasn't it?

I never thought to search YouTube for that. I have to admit, I actually kinda like that song!! (If we had smilies, I'd put an embarrassment smilie here!!)

Clinton Morgan

Forget 'Ray of Light', 'Frozen' or even 'Like A Virgin'. 'Dear Jessie' is the best Madonna song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtcojQH_GM

Ciarán2

Huzzie

Ciarán2

TotalMink

Goldentony

Rocksteady crew - Hey, You! The Rocksteady Crew!

The Rocksteady Crew - Hey You, The Rocksteady crew, from 1983 i think? had the song lying about for ages but had no idea there was a video, only just discovered there was a whole album aswell. There's a video for the song Uprock on there aswell. Not the best 'breakdance' song in the world but it's a lot of fun.

The video's not much cop but i really like the song, it seems to be faster than the album version. enjoy.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Ciarán"Haha, imagine being trapped in a room with my record collection.

Well, I own a copy of Flash and the Pan's album "Panorama", and I bet you don't... not that it's a collector's item or anything, I think my copy cost £2 second hand.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "23 Daves"
Quote from: "Ciarán"Haha, imagine being trapped in a room with my record collection.

Well, I own a copy of Flash and the Pan's album "Panorama", and I bet you don't... not that it's a collector's item or anything, I think my copy cost £2 second hand.

You're right, I don't. I have it on Chartbusters 83 Volume II though! (Along with Gary Byrd's "The Crown" (Extended Mix)" which is terrific). Can't find it on CD or YouTube though. :-(

TotalMink

QuoteGary Byrd's "The Crown"

Stevie Wonder produced that little gem!

23 Daves

Quote from: "Ciarán"
Quote from: "23 Daves"

You're right, I don't. I have it on Chartbusters 83 Volume II though! (Along with Gary Byrd's "The Crown" (Extended Mix)" which is terrific). Can't find it on CD or YouTube though. :-(

It's one of those things that might have been pressed on to CD eventually, but probably only in Australia (where the band originated from - I take it you know that they're just sixties beat combo The Easybeats under another name).

If you want a copy of the (admittedly slightly patchy) album, let me know and I'll try do one for you, but don't necessarily expect me to do it before 2006 is up, because I've got a huge pile of vinyl that I've promised loads of people I'd burn to CD and haven't got around to doing yet!
There's one track on the album, "Walking In The Rain" that I've always wanted to sample.  It's the kind of thing Chris Morris would have used as background music in Bluejam.  

They weren't bad, actually.  Not worth getting your knickers in a twist about, but they did create some fine tunes.  "Down Among The Dead Men" even has a proto-baggy kind of feel to it at the tail end, reminding me slightly of James' "Come Home".

Ciarán2

Hi yep, I knew they were The Easybeats, but I know more about The Easybeats than I do Flash and The Pan. And they'd a connection to AC/DC too -the singer was the brother of Angus and Malcolm Young wasn't he? (A trip Wikipedia suggests I'm correct in this assumption).

Ciarán2

Betty Boo "Let Me Take You There" Sampling The Four Tops and The Beach Boys and one the greatest singles of 1992. I "heart" Betty Boo.

2 Unlimited "No-one" Their first "mellow" moment. Their first flop. Bloody great single which "no-one" (haw haw) bought.

I should find something to bridge the gap between that and the next one... Ok, mellow electronica meets easy listening.

The Gentle People "Journey"

Cilla Black "Heatwave" I always liked Cilla's version of this.

But prefer this...

Dusty Springfield "I Close My Eyes and Count To Ten"

Herb Alpert "This Guy's In Love With You" I'm in an easy listening mood now...

BJ Thomas "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"

Fifth Dimension "Wedding Blues" Bill, I love you still, I always will...

Fifth Dimension "Stoned Soul Picnic" Brilliant! Can you sirreee, can you picnic?? (?)

Tim Buckley "Happy Time"

I thought I'd finish on this one...

Marvin Gaye "Hitch Hike"

Spiteface

Quote from: "Ciarán"2 Unlimited "No-one" Their first "mellow" moment. Their first flop. Bloody great single which "no-one" (haw haw) bought.

Memories...

It did Ok, I remember.  17 in the charts, anyway.

One of my favourite 2 Unlimited songs back in the day "Real Things" (on cassette) was one of the first albums I remember owning.

They did release a ballad once "Nothing Like the Rain" it was called.

Infact here it is:

This wasn't released as a single in the UK because their record comany didn't think a Ballad would do well over here.  

I'm saying the following without a hint of student-y irony:

2 unlimited were great, and all other eurodance/pop that followed was/is crap.

I have chosen to attempt to erase this following relic from memory, and deny it ever happened:

This is 2 Unlimited in name only.  Ray Slijngaard and Anita Dels (Nee Doth) were replaced by two singers Romy van Ooijen and Marjon van Iwaarden.  Horrible to watch.  Song's called "The Edge of Heaven" by the way.

Howj Begg

Morgan

R. Stevie Moore covering Dylan's 'Who Killed Davey Moore?' on the Uncle Floyd Show (1989).  Genuinely the best thing I've watched on YouTube so far.  Please give it a go:

Not sure if this should be here or in Comedy Chat.  It's one of my favourite two minutes ever.  Proves the old saying that if you have confidence, you can get away with almost anything.  Enjoy.