Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cobain interview - "I would rather just quit my band and join Hole"

Started by phillippa_maul, March 13, 2004, 08:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillippa_maul

From ananova:

QuoteCobain interview gets first full airing

Kurt Cobain wanted to form a band with Courtney Love, according to an interview with him which is being published in full for the first time.

NME reports it was one of the last interviews given by the Nirvana frontman before his suicide in 1994.

In the interview, which features in Uncut Legends magazine, Cobain said it would be nice to switch to acoustic guitar, rather than always being thought of as a grunge rocker.

It was carried out by a French television journalist in August 1993. Only a small section was ever used on French TV. It's also the first time the interview has been published in English.

Cobain tells the journalist: "It might be nice to start playing acoustic guitar and be thought of as a singer and a songwriter, rather than a grunge rocker because then I might be able to take advantage of that when I'm older.

"I could sit down on a chair and play acoustic guitar like Johnny Cash or something, and it won't be a big joke." He also talked about musical ambitions for the future.

He said: "It's a nice thought (collaborations with Courtney). I'd like to, but to tell you the truth, I would rather just quit my band and join Hole, you know - only because when I have played music with them, there's a level of connection that's a little bit higher than with anyone else I ever played with. It's amazing.

"It's totally satisfying for Courtney and I, but completely unrealistic because we're already so intertwined with each other. Most people don't think of the band Nirvana, they think of Kurt and Courtney and it gets in the way.

"People would just overlook the music and look into other things. It's such a sad situation. I really wish we could just join bands...(but) it wouldn't be considered a real band."

Uncut Legends magazine is out on March 16.

Kurt in Hole 'eh???

I love the Nirvana sound, but the bit about him wanting to play more acoustic guitar was good to read, as the MTV Unplugged session still blows me away to this day. I would've loved to have heard some more performances in that vein.
'The Man Who Sold The World' is simply stunning.

edit- to add link to NME article.

Bilko

It may have been his last interview but that doesn't mean it was more profound and had more meaning than any other interview he did in his life. I've no great catalogue of Kurt Cobain's interviews he did in his life but I'm pretty sure he said things he didn't mean, things that were expressing thoughts and feelings without wanting to act upon them.

What people say and what they actually do are two completely different things.

phillippa_maul

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"It may have been his last interview but that doesn't mean it was more profound and had more meaning than any other interview he did in his life. .....
...What people say and what they actually do are two completely different things.

I think that is a given Peter.
And if you want to get into it...what is **not **said is often as / or even more important than what **has** been said. I think I can also distinguish that it's in the interest of the magazine/TV station to hype up this interview, as it will be the tenth anniversary of the singer's death in April.

Sometime I think..."Today it will be nice to go into the city" and then end up going for a walk in the country. I'm sure Kurt sometimes thought "Sod Nirvana I want to do something else" then went and wrote some more songs with  the intention of it being for a Nirvana album.

I just posted it up as there are alot of Nirvana fans (myself included) that may be interested in reading this.

Yes, importance is always placed on the **last** interview as people try to see if there are any clues to what eventually unfolded. But there's always the chance that there will be another 'last' interview found...Readers of this board have got the intelligence to see that, and may just be interested to see what happens next in the ongoing saga of Nirvana-Kurt-Courtney-blah-blah-blah.

I know that the music is more important to me as a fan, but I do end up reading these reports out of interest. And when a magazine interviews Andy Partridge I'll be taking a look there too!

Phillippa:0)

Bilko

I wasn't having a go at your post Phillippa, it was the the NME trying to make a lot out of this.

phillippa_maul

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"I wasn't having a go at your post Phillippa, it was the the NME trying to make a lot out of this.

No harm done Peter :0)

Yes, the NME will hype this one up all the way, and as the tenth anniversary looms ahead we'll have more and more of the same.

They'll be reappraisals of Nirvana and their role in music history, loads of conspiracy theories reflurishing and so on.....All this, but still no news on that 'promised' box set of rarities...ho hum!

fbb bastard

Quote from: "phillippa_maul"And when a magazine interviews Andy Partridge I'll be taking a look there too!

this months WORD has just that by the way....the man himself....didnt even notice it myself with the free photo book obscuring the fact but its there....

phillippa_maul

Quote from: "fbb bastard"
Quote from: "phillippa_maul"And when a magazine interviews Andy Partridge I'll be taking a look there too!

this months WORD has just that by the way....the man himself....didnt even notice it myself with the free photo book obscuring the fact but its there....

Thank you fbb bastard :0)

You are **the** best!

I'll have to nip out and get that!

A very happy Phillippa:0)

phillippa_maul

Woohoo!!!!

Just got a copy of Word magazine -

5 pages of Andy Partridge and a page of Neil Hannon!

Well worth £3:50 :0)