Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unusual words in 'pop' songs

Started by Gazeuse, March 14, 2004, 02:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazeuse

I was listening to Babushka by Kate Bush the other day and wondering at the fantastic bass playing, when I noticed that the lyrics go...

She wanted to test her husband,
She knew exactly what to do,
A pseudonym to fool him,
She couldn't have made a worse move.

..."pseudonym," I thought...That's an unusual wotd to find in a pop song.

It reminded me of...

I'm just a little old-fashioned
It takes more than a physical attraction
My initial reaction is honey give me love
Not a facsimile of

...From Let The Reason Be Love by The Osmonds. "Facsimile."

So does anyone else know of unusual words cropping up in pop songs...I mean fluffy 'I love you love me' pop songs...Not 'arty' stuff.

I think it's fair to say Kate Bush isn't one to do "fluffy" pop songs.

boki

Oh, how we laughed at Gary Barlow's desperate RESPECT ME I'M CLEVER plea with his 'Drowining in my autocratic ways' bollocks.  Go and read a Will Self book if that's yer kink, fatty.

TOCMFIC

Danny Baker always used to pimp a Motorhead song I think it was that contains the line "Driving like a parallelogram".

boki

I think that's the song 'Motorhead' itself.  What can you say, eh? Bless 'im.

smufflebob

Nick Cave's 15 feet of pure white snow uses the word 'Mittens' and makes them sound sinister.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Nick Cave in [url=http://www.clareanderson.co.uk/muzak/nickcave_rockofgibraltar.mp3Rock of Gibraltar[/url]"]
Let me say this to you, I'll be steadfast and true, and my love will never falter
The sea would crash about us, the waves would lash about us, I'll be your Rock of Gibraltar

Sometimes it's hard, and we're both caught off guard, but there's nothing I would ever alter
The wind could howl round our ears, for the next thousand years, I'd still be your Rock of Gibraltar

The best thing I done, was to make you the one, who I'd walk with down to the altar
You'd stand by me, And together we'd be, that great, steady Rock of Gibraltar

Under the big yellow moon, on our honeymoon, I took you on a trip to Malta
And all through the night, you held me so tight, your great, steady Rock of Gibraltar

Could the powers that be, ever foresee, that things could so utterly alter?
All the plans that we laid, could soon be betrayed, betrayed like the Rock of Gibraltar

Okay, slightly off topic, but if we're including Nick Cave in pop music, then we must surely applaud his ability to rhyme Gibraltar so many times?

Ah, just me then.

:-)

Gazeuse

This Town Aint Big Enough For The Both Of Us - Sparks.

Daily except for Sunday
You dawdle into the cafe
Where you meet her each day.

Dawdle!!!

Cambrian Times

Pulp songs are full of them.

Woodchip -Disco 2000

Dungarees - Acrylic Afternoons (Acrylic is another one)

Own brand box of cornflakes - Bad Cover version

Cholesterol (is over) -The Day after the revolution

etc

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "smufflebob"Nick Cave's 15 feet of pure white snow uses the word 'Mittens' and makes them sound sinister.

In fairness, Nick Cave reading the telephone directory would sound sinister.

Reverend Minge

How about the Human League's second verse of  "Tell Me When":

Happenstance, an episode
Unplanned, alone in time

Good ol' Phil Oakey, I love him.

But Diana Ross's "Upside Down" takes the biscuit for me:

Respectfully, I say to thee
I'm aware that you're cheating

Say to fucking thee?! I didn't realise that Diana Ross was from Leeds. Mind, you she'll never play for Yorkshire - no offence.

smufflebob

Grandaddy's 'Summer Here Kids'

"Do as I didn't do because
I'm a picture of indumbivivity"

a what?

Dr David V

Oh, so this is where Boki's been hanging around. Hello there.

Anyway...

"We all live in a yellow submarine"

That is still the only song I've heard which contains the word submarine. Indeed, I could say the same about Sledgehammer.

boki

Quote from: "Dr David V"Oh, so this is where Boki's been hanging around. Hello there.

Blimey, I was missed?  Err, yeah, hi.  I've been occasionally lurking a bit lately 'cos I ain't had a lot of online time.  I should be back at work as I'm typing this in fact, but I ain't of a mind to rush my lunch today and there's this here apple to finish off...

Surprised no-one's mentioned the made-up word in Steve Miller's 'The Joker', but then I'm not going to attempt to spell it either.

de selby

Sure, if its words yer after, isn't Green of Scritti Politti yer man.

hermeneutic

\Her`me*neu"tic\, Hermeneutical \Her`me*neu"tic*al\, a. [Gr. ?, fr. ? to interpret: cf. F. herm['e]neutique.] Unfolding the signification; of or pertaining to interpretation; exegetical; explanatory; as, hermeneutic theology, or the art of expounding the Scriptures; a hermeneutic phrase.

I've found a new hermeneutic.
I've found a new paradigm.
I've found a plan just to make you mine.

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "de selby"Sure, if its words yer after, isn't Green of Scritti Politti yer man.

hermeneutic

\Her`me*neu"tic\, Hermeneutical \Her`me*neu"tic*al\, a. [Gr. ?, fr. ? to interpret: cf. F. herm['e]neutique.] Unfolding the signification; of or pertaining to interpretation; exegetical; explanatory; as, hermeneutic theology, or the art of expounding the Scriptures; a hermeneutic phrase.

I've found a new hermeneutic.
I've found a new paradigm.
I've found a plan just to make you mine.

Hermeneutic? Paradigm? I bet Green is now some middle-manager in some faceless corporation, they'd love him in meetings with words like that.

Blue sky thinking, anyone?

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "Reverend Minge"

Hermeneutic? Paradigm? I bet Green is now some middle-manager in some that complete shitter corporation, they'd love him in meetings with words like that.

Blue sky thinking, anyone?

Hang on, I didn't type "that complete shitter corporation" - I typed "faceless corporation", I don't even USE that phrase.

What the fuck's going on?????

Reverend Minge

.....er, it's done it again. The phrase I actually typed comes up different once the post goes live on the forum.

Dr David V

Type the blocked word with a full stop in it somewhere, like thi.s. I am intrigued if no-one else is.

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "Dr David V"Type the blocked word with a full stop in it somewhere, like thi.s. I am intrigued if no-one else is.

Thanks, Dr David V - the actual phrase was an utterly harmless face.less corp.oration.

Weird.

Dr David V

Ah. That particular Facefull cunt is currently spreading his crap over Comedy Chat. Obviously Neil has decided to block his name by replacing it with that complete shitter. Makes sense really. Carry on.

Reverend Minge

de selby

Well, your reverence, you'd bet wrong. He's actually back making music.

Anyone interested in Green and his comings and goings should take a look at the BBC documentary screened a few years back. I've always enjoyed his stuff - from his anarcho-indie-punk-philosophising, through his perfect pop period, and up to his hip hoppy new stuff. Fascinating to find out a little more about the man behind the big words.

64Mb Quicktime movie