Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wasted Weather Opportunities

Started by @ssmaster, July 18, 2006, 05:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@ssmaster

Blimey it is hot. It seems to be a good summer this year. But are you like me and feel as if you are missing an opportunity to enjoy it to the full. Even though the weather is great I still cannot be arsed going on day trips or cycle rides or picnics or stuff that you usually wouldn't contemplate doing. I just want to sit and watch TV after a days work.

Are you an unimaginative shit like me or do you do stuff when the weather is nice?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The most I do in this weather is lie in my hammock or go to the woods and sit in my favourite tree, it's too hot for anything else. I could go swimming I suppose but I think the sight of some pasty, out of shape, bearded hobo lookalike might cause mass panic.

hoverdonkey

I have a big thing about this. I have been working since Friday so have missed most of this weather but if I am ever off during good weather, as I will be tomorrow, I absolutely have to make the most of it otherwise I feel like I have wasted the day. It's all because we can't rely on the weather. If i knew it would be nice for the next four months then I'd be more relaxed about it.

Even if I can't think of anything specific to do, I will go for a walk. The other day I walked into Kingston but walked around roads I'd never investigated before and a 10 minute walk into town turned into a two hour walk. I'll either do that or hop on my bike with a book, pad and pen and cycle into Richmond Park for a few hours.

But if I stay in I get really angry with myself. I love this weather so much and know much I yearn for it when it's shit for the other eight or nine months of the year.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"The most I do in this weather is lie in my hammock

You lucky swine. I'd do anything to own a hammock.

And two trees.

@ssmaster

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"
But if I stay in I get really angry with myself. I love this weather so much and know much I yearn for it when it's shit for the other eight or nine months of the year.

This is my problem, I can't wait for the nice weather to arrive but when it does I feel I don't take full advantage of it. I think the closest I have come to appreciating the sun recently is getting drunk in a beer garden with some friends. Its a start I suppose.

I'm going to get a hammock soon.  I mean it.  Now the garden's being changed there's going to be enough room for a freestanding one.  Ha!

I do not intend to lie in it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"
Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"The most I do in this weather is lie in my hammock

You lucky swine. I'd do anything to own a hammock.

And two trees.
Anything?

slim

I hide because I cannot function properly outside (nor inside actually, did you see my last WM shot?) in this heat.

Frinky

It's funny how you're all happy to sit inside and whinge when it's winter, when you could be wearing scarves and flying kites with your girlfriends, or building snowmen, or taking photos in that wonderful winter light, or...

terminallyrelaxed

I have been working ten hour days so couldn't care less really, but I have thursday and friday and saturday off, and will probably stay indoors then too as our garden is uninhabitable.
How do you do the garden when you have no gardening implements? I'd be up for chipping in for yellow pages man to come round, but the rest of my ridiculously apathetic flatmates (they make me look like captain motivated) won't. I'd hoped to grab a council man with a strimmer, bung him 20 notes and a cup of tea to give the garden a once over, but we've yet to see one.
It really fucks me off, we've got a nice garden that gets good sun but we can only use a 4 foot square concrete patio, the rest is knee-deep in weeds and who knows what else.

terminallyrelaxed

Excellent cheers, I'd be quite happy paying for a quarter of that, but not the others, and I'll be fucked if I'm paying for it all myself - not because I can't afford it or its not worth it, but because the others will just let me pay for it and reap the benefits, and say they didn't really care about the garden if I asked for any money. These are people who lived for two years before I moved in with a 12 inch TV on the floor.

terminallyrelaxed

Woops I was looking at the weekly price, when actually £26 4-ways is £6.50, which I might at least try to squeeze out of the Steptoe household.

terminallyrelaxed

It looks like fun to make your own hammock, but you can get them for like a fiver, those portable nylon ones are alright for a cheap solution.

Labian Quest

I was just thinking it would be nice to go for a swim in the open air, but the only place I can think of within easy travelling distance is Elton reservoir, but according to Google:

"AS a result of two recent incidents, may I bring to your readers' attention that, even though the weather may be pleasantly warm, the water in Elton Reservoir is very deep, and very, very cold.

People who, in a moment of stupidity, decide to go for a swim are taking their life in their hands, and Bury Angling Association and Elton Sailing Club can accept no responsibility for any consequence."

Might go to the seaside instead.

Doctor Stamen

It's complete shite, I hate it.  I'm sat in a frigging office all day doing stuff I don't care about, much rather be sat on the front at Brighton or somewhere with an ice cold beer in my hand.  I'm not even near enough to a coast for me to take a quite drive down there after work.

Still, it pays the mortgage dunnit.

I've been stuck in an office too, but on Thursday I'm going to Benicassim, yay!

amp

Well the closest I usually get is a few pints in a beer garden after work for a couple of hours. I feel obliged to do so as there's bugger all else to do or that one can squeeze in after a day in a sweltering, aircon-free office.

I work on an industrial estate, so there's not even anywhere nice to go at lunchtime... no parks or fields (well, only "Dog Shit Nature Reserve" which fucking stinks) and no pubs either.

How I wish our office was still in the city centre, which is bursting at the seams (in some case quite literally) with buxom beauties, pubs-a-plenty and grassy knolls...

Roll on Moor Music Fest (2 days to go!)

sanchopanza

Quote from: "aaaaaaaaaargh!"on Thursday I'm going to Benicassim, yay!

You fucking CUNT!

Try and throw some sweat on Morrissey for us?  Ta.

Quote from: "sanchopanza"
Quote from: "aaaaaaaaaargh!"on Thursday I'm going to Benicassim, yay!

You fucking CUNT!

Try and throw some sweat on Morrissey for us?  Ta.

Just got back and it was fucking amazing.  Hope that makes you feel better

Duckula

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"The most I do in this weather is lie in my hammock or go to the woods and sit in my favourite tree, it's too hot for anything else. I could go swimming I suppose but I think the sight of some pasty, out of shape, bearded hobo lookalike might cause mass panic.
Whereas a pasty, out of shape, bearded hobo lookalike (yeah, me too) sitting in a tree in the woods doesn't?

"Mummy Mummy, there's a funny looking man sitting in a tree over there."