Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photo: TR's Day In The Sun

Started by terminallyrelaxed, March 15, 2004, 12:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Today I visited the Tate Modern, on the south bank, and wandered through the various exhibits. I would have loved to have seen the Brancusi
stuff and suppose could have looked in at the Judd thing, but today was a budget Sunday. It scarcely mattered, for of course the main
exhibit in the Turbine Hall was Olafur Eliasson's The Weather Project.

In this installation, The Weather Project, representations of the sun and sky dominate the expanse of the Turbine Hall. A fine mist permeates the space, as if creeping in from the environment outside. Throughout the day, the mist accumulates into faint, cloud-like formations, before dissipating across the space. A glance overhead, to see where the mist might escape, reveals that the ceiling of the Turbine Hall has disappeared, replaced by a reflection of the space below. At the far end of the hall is a giant semi-circular form made up of hundreds of mono-frequency lamps. The arc repeated in the mirror overhead produces a sphere of dazzling radiance linking the real space with the reflection. Generally used in street lighting, mono-frequency lamps emit light at such a narrow frequency that colours other than yellow and black are invisible, thus transforming the visual field around the sun into a vast duotone landscape.

I don't know if anyone's done anything about this on here before, I have a suspicion it may have been covered but I did an inexhaustive
cursory search for it and anyway I thought I'd choose a relatively benign subject for my first "photo-essay" type thread. I say essay;
I thought I'd just bung up some pics without thinking too hard about it, with a bit of stuff about iPhoto for the hey of it.
Anyway I've reduced 'em to friendly size.

When you first go in the change in atmosphere brought on by the light is palbable. I've tried to capture it in a couple of different ways in these two...

Note: small blob in center left is a gallivanting child. Couldnt get a decent action silhouette of him though..

The ceiling of the Turbine Hall is covered with mirrors, which jerk about like window slats in the wind,
powered by some fiendish mechanism beyond my ken. Is it waves of heat from the lamp buffeting them?
Or genuine wind? Or cables or poles sliding to-and-fro on some indecipherable Scandinavian purpose?
Who can say. Either way the effect is more detectable on the mezzanine, with a rythmic rattling always detectable.
It dissipates as you go down onto the main floor though, where there are more people,
and the noise and motion of the mirrors are less detectable:

This is interesting. Below are two identical shots, the left is the original, the right I've done a basic Enhance in iPhoto -
granted its garish and I could have done better in Photoshop with contrast and colour adjustment, but I think its a rather nice effect.

The one below, our first clear view of the ceiling, has also had a one-click enhance done in iPhoto - you wouldnt want the original,
trust me, it was too gloomy but I didnt want tomess with it too much in Photoshop, yes it loses it a bit towards the left but again I just like the result.
See if you can spot me - I bloody can't.

Here we begin to really put it through its paces. In the following two, you can sort f see its limitations,
although its certainly made the picture viewable, and this is the one that I love the most out of the
enhanced ones (only  the last three). My personal fetish is photogrpahing other people taking photgraphs.
I'm not aiming for a prize with it, its been done to death, ts something I like to do when I'm out with the camera.
The left-hand image below was almost indistinguishable (on my fairly crap monitor anyway), and has
had the contrast upped +55 in Photoshop, and I rather like it. The right-hand image is as-is plus
a single one-click Enhance in iPhoto - yes its gone green! But its nice isnt it?

I"ll leave you for the moment with my personal favourite of the day. I like his silhouette, but I also like the way the perspective works with the girl in front and to the left, and the three people further on on the right; its like a V-formation or something. I wanted to get a better more solitary shot of this guy, and maybe a few catching his shadow stretching away behind him, but there were too many people coming and going and I had to go...

And one more snapper for luck....

terminallyrelaxed

Sorry for all the edits, had some tidying to do, and a duplicate pic...

wasp_f15ting

That was great to look at TR, Nice work :)

I love the one with people looking up onto the reflective roof, gorgeous stuff.

mr rou-rou

who watches the watchers? you obviously

excellent, and I'm surprised to have read so little about other whores views on this, maybe it's only you and PLC that's been, albeit he was dressed up as Santa at the time.

Does it finish at the end of the month?

if i wasn't such a lazy person I would have gone, is it warm, I imagine there to be a dry hot breeze drifting through the hall?

terminallyrelaxed

Well it didnt strike me as cold, but I didnt undo my coat or scarf while I was pottering about or sat contemplating the mellow yellow disc either, was happy as-was. Inadvertently sat infront of the smoke machine (yes, its deliberately hazy in there). The big door is open at the end too.
Some people though eh? right down the bottom where I was for the first comparison shot there were all these very unselfconscious dance students mucking around, looked like eight-year-olds doing slow-mo lord of the rings battles but they were almost adults. I have some photos with them cavorting around in the foreground but didnt want to waste the web-space...

terminallyrelaxed

Glad you like them though guys. Its really nice how a relatively simple subject makes it all come back to me, its got me back under my photography hat.

fanny splendid

Wonderful thread, TR. Really inspiring and thought provoking. As rou says, I wish I wasn't so lazy. I would have liked to have gone.

Are you joking about the web space, because I would like to see more? If you haven't any left, then use the guest function on my site.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Ok enough of this, what did you do with the upskirt shots and x-ray shots using the nightvision lenses eh? Come on I know how it's done.. that is, er I saw it somewhere, er read about it.... Shit time to hide my trusty shoecam.

terminallyrelaxed

Fanny I was joking, not sure how much webspace I have actually but not using much, just these are the best pics - there are more but its generally the same views but with people in the wrong place, that kind of thing. I'll have another look though...

terminallyrelaxed

OK here's some more...

Some twats...

sore bottom mum

mmm... Good photos. I've a friend who works at the Tate Modern. Apparently the 'health and safety' people weren't very impressed.... this exhibit meant they had to switch off all the smoke alarms. The artists original proposal was even more extreme though... he wanted to create clouds and rain. Which incidentally was achieved a few months back on the South Bank... it looked amazing. It was more drizzle than a full blown down-pour though and very foggy. But yeah, contrived atmospherics....

<ponder>

DonkeyRods

Excellent photos, TR. This ones my favourite

Like fanny and rou, i wish I could motivate myself to go to stuff like this. That thing looks quite scary to be honest...what does it sound like in there?

terminallyrelaxed

Well its obviously quite echo-ey being so large, but the people are hardly audible - even the ones relatively close - I suppose the aerodynamics deadens noise a bit, or some such..

Quote from: TRThe ceiling of the Turbine Hall is covered with mirrors, which jerk about like window slats in the wind,