Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:04:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"If she has the right to freedom of speech, we have the right to burn books."

Started by Circusfire, July 27, 2006, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"she's from bolton originally. I live quite close to bolton and can categorically say that boltonians are the biggest bunch of wankers in the world

Right, that's it; I'm burning your post in protest.

Love & kisses,
The Campaign Against hands cold, liver warm's Disparaging Forum Post About Boltonians

Circusfire

Well they had their little protest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5229872.stm

I love the way there were only two women there. All the rest of the deeply offended ladies were minding the children in their house-prisons.

Circusfire

Quote from: "Notlob"I don't understand - it seems to be, at the moment, a peaceful legal protest about something they think will be detrimental to their community. None of this book-burning, fatwa-spewing nonsense.

How on earth is the making of a film is detrimental to their community?  

Quote from: "Notlob"How else are they supposed to respond?

Well for a start they could all read the book first instead of freaking out over it. Then they could get the fuck over what is a piece of fiction.  

Quote from: "Notlob"Just out of curiousity - what's your definition of integration?

Well I don't really think this is essentially an intergration matter as such. I see it more as an attempt of censorship. I have the exact same opinions about the people that were protesting about the Passion of the Christ.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Circusfire"
Quote from: "Notlob"I don't understand - it seems to be, at the moment, a peaceful legal protest about something they think will be detrimental to their community. None of this book-burning, fatwa-spewing nonsense.

How on earth is the making of a film is detrimental to their community?

Because it makes them all out to be bastards, apparently. Duuuurrrr.

Mister Cairo

It seems from the news story that most of them haven't read the book properly. Reminds me of the BES furore.

QuoteShochall admits to not having read the book, but says he has read "bits and pieces" of it while having other sections explained to him by others.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotehaving other sections explained to him by others.

And by others he means another pissed-off Brick Lane resident who hasn't read it through properly? In this case I'm quite sad that my suspicions have been confirmed.

Notlob

QuoteWell for a start they could all read the book first instead of freaking out over it

Agreed. It's plain stupid to protest against something you don't understand.

QuoteThen they could get the fuck over what is a piece of fiction.

Foolish. If it's 'just' a piece of fiction, then are you saying that fiction is inconsequential, unimportant and does not influence anything in anyway? If anything is 'just' a play/book/film, then it should not influence anyone, ever, and it is all essentlally pointless.

A piece of fiction which some of them feels (depending how many of them read it) defames their community, which they have every right to protest peacefully about, and I think it's reasonable to not want it filmed on your doorstep.

I'm taking issue with the principle, not this specific instance, as I have not read the book.

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "StuBruise"
Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"she's from bolton originally. I live quite close to bolton and can categorically say that boltonians are the biggest bunch of wankers in the world

Right, that's it; I'm burning your post in protest.

Love & kisses,
The Campaign Against hands cold, liver warm's Disparaging Forum Post About Boltonians

lets meet in Egerton for a fight

p.s. wait a minute, you can't be from bolton. You can spell correctly.