Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Top 1000 Singles

Started by Ciarán2, August 16, 2006, 12:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: "Ciarán"988.
In Aura "This Month's Epic"

Oh yes!  This would definitely have been on my list somewhere.  It was totally critically mauled at the time as well, and would probably have totally passed me by were it not for the fact that I was the music editor for the university magazine at the time and the PR company were utterly desperate to get the band press just about anywhere.  

The album "One Million Smiles" is also well worth hunting down.  

In answer to your "Velocity Girl" query too, Creation put out a series of CDs called "Creation Soup" which batched together all the early singles As and Bs.  It's definitely on there, I have it at home.  It's not a brilliant remaster, though.

I'll contribute some stuff of my own later.

Cack Hen

[WIRE] - Outdoor Miner

Released: January 1979
Format: 7" White Vinyl
Label: Harvest Records
Chart Placing: #51

-{Download}-

What an anthem! Well, not really, it's too typically Wire to be truly grand and exploitative of the insanely catchy tune. That's not to say they didn't try and work it around a potential audience, but you can only take it so far. It sounds to me that instead of sacrificing their creative soul for gloss, they opted to extend the chorus way beyond its life. It's good, but it's not Hey Jude. But hey, I'm being unfair, the album version and the single version obviously serve different purposes.

That aside, it's a fantastic song. I can think of few other musical moments as uplifting as the final chord change at the end of the verses. Oh, and I hold no responsibillity for any mental health issues incurred from this playing around in your head forever.

23 Daves

I'm going to be accused of deliberately going for a total obscurity here, but stuff it, I absolutely love this single and don't care who knows it.

Grey by The Hush is a perplexing piece of 1960s work in that it was a dismal flop at the time, and since then nobody's ever been able to trace the band to find out who the hell they were/are.  They certainly didn't release anything else, at least not under that name, and if they continued their careers in other bands it would seem that they are ashamed of their past.

There's no need.  True, "Grey" doesn't exactly have top-quality musicianship going for it, but it's a great fat primal beast of a single.  The drums thud metronomically on the intro - rhythmically very similar to the introduction to the White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" in fact - and then the vocals kick in.  "One day I'll die..." the singer snaps, whilst a killer bass riff that sounds as if it's played on a normal six-string electric guitar menacingly prowls in the background.  Eventually the guitar chops a clanging Pete Townsend chord, a cheeky little rattling snippet of "You Really Got Me" sneaks into the equation, and the chorus kicks in.  Well, I say "chorus", it's more like a screaming hissy fit to two whining sustained high notes on the guitar going "dweee dwee dwee dwee dwee dwee dwee dweee" and the drummer having a panic attack on the cymbals.  Sounds awful?  It's actually brilliant, to my ears at least.  Was it a fluke?  Well, as the official A-side (that nobody plays) "Elephant Rider" is complete and utter toss, probably.  But "Grey" is a brilliant, rough and ready piece of work.

Cack Hen

phes

'Dirty Epic'  - Underworld.  First released 1994 from the album 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman'

Brooding keyboards and a chugging beat underpin haphazard vocals from Hyde that feel rancorous, to say the least. The sluggish tempo and meter of the song feels pretty appropriate when you consider the inspiration Hyde took from the public transport system. I truly love the lead vocal/dance beat combo and for that reason  I've always thought of this as the ultimate Underworld song - i wonder what they think of it?  It's the song I reach for when i'm feeling down; I don't know what that says about me. Probably my favourite tune of all time.    

The song was pretty much 2/3rds of 'Dirty'' (released as 'Lemon interupt'). I don't know if there's a story behind that.

'Ajare' - Way out West.  Released 1994 (deconstruction) from the album 'Way out West' and reached no.62

Nick Warren and Jody Wisternoff were the duo behind house/breaks  types 'Way out West'. The obvious choice would be their hugely successful single 'The Gift' (released in 1996 on the Deconstruction label, this song sampled artist Joanna Law's cover of the Roberta Flack song "The first time ever I saw your face"), but Im going for another release:  'Ajare' - a song so bloody townie it was oft heard pounding away inside a jumped up Nova owned by Sol Patrick of mid nineties Hollyoaks fame.

23 Daves

Wire - Outdoor Miner - peak chart position number 54

Again, this one has a child-like simplicity about it, but unlike The Hush it's full of tricksy little surprises.  For a start, the lyrics are about the domestic life of a serpentine miner, an insect that leaves inside leaves, tunnelling through them.  Then the song itself is a melodic delight, with beautiful, gentle harmonies entwining throughout.  There's also a keyboard solo in the middle that is so ridiculously naive that it sounds as if it could have been thought up on the spot by a practicing eight year old running his/her fingers up and down, but holds over the top of the harmonised vocal loops to a fantastic effect.

The song ends hammering the chorus into oblivion - it was actually extended from the album version for release rather than edited down - but whenever I put it on the stereo, I always find myself returning the arm of the record player right back on to the run-in groove again.  On the day I first purchased this, I played it something like twenty times in a row.  It became like an obsessive compulsive problem of mine, and astonishingly I'm still not sick of it.  It's catchy but awkward, and arty but childishly playful.  It's probably one of my top ten singles of all time, and if popular rumour is to be believed the only reason it didn't chart is because EMI tried to hype it during its early life, causing it to be disqualified.  Bah.

Paaaaul

Good to see Outdoor Miner well represented!

Cack Hen

[BELLE AND SEBASTIAN] - Lazy Line Painter Jane [EP]

Released: July 1997
Format: CD/12"/7"
Record Label: Jeepster
Chart Placing: #41

-{Download}-

Lazy Line Painter Jane Live Video
LLPJ live at the BBC

Belle and Sebastian are, as much as it sometimes pains me to say it, my favourite band and this song is in my top 3 of all time.

It starts off monotonously and intriguing, and it surpasses any vague expectations you have at that point come the conclusion. Recorded in a church, this is a driving and classic sounding song. Stuart gently breaks you into the melody and the seemingly dull chorus before guest vocalist Monica Queen delivers a euphoric and breathtaking rendition of the blueprint laid a minute before by Stuart. The second she begins it confirms your initial suspicion that this is no ordinary song, this is a song on a mission. After Monica does the second chorus (the chorus that now doesn't seem quite so dull), the monotonous sound of the intro returns and it adapts to the mood set by Monica with hand claps and an eagerness for this song to finalise its mission. In a final burst, Stuart and Monica team up and merge for a dramatic, inspirational verse/chorus. The song ends as an evolved form of its introduction, with waves of church organs and a surging rhythm section. It couldn't be any other way.

Despite this song going relatively unnoticed at the time, Belle and Sebastian really did need this song. Tigermilk had a tendency to be slightly too twee, and this song, if nothing else dismissed any notion that they were throwaway indie popsters. Granted, they didn't expand on the atmospheric qualities on display here for their next album but this is why I think this song is so special. It sounds like a one-off thing, with the right people, in the right place at the right time. It stands as a gem in their already strong body of work, despite the criminal lack of singles they've been able to put out over the years.

On a final note, if you are a Belle and Sebastian hater (of which their are too many!) or are indifferent to them, I highly recommend hearing this song. I've given this to two people who both dismissed them as twee bollocks and they both gave me very positive feedback. But you know, it might still sound like twee bollocks to you. If so, you have nee soul, man!

fEDORA

Quote from: "Cack Hen"983.

[DROP NINETEENS] - Winona

Released: 1992
Label: Caroline/Hut Records
Format: 12"

Take my word for it, this is the best song named after Winona Ryder that you will ever hear. I think.

I love this song so much. It seems to pull together the best of Pixies and My Bloody Valentine and yet sound so utterly fresh and special. The songwriting here is pretty fantastic, it takes several brilliant twists and turns and takes you on a very subtle trip to the climactic chorus. Yes, it's so good, it actually has two choruses back to back. The first one is almost like a dummy chorus, to lure you in and then the second strikes with that screeching, emotional guitar. As soon as Greg sings "it's why I've got to know the truth" the song is effectively over, and the final minute and half just plays out to its conclusion, like a band leaving the stage while deafening feedback echoes around the room. It would be an insult to the hard work and emotion put into the first half of the song if they took it anywhere else but a safe middle ground where upon you can reflect on what a fantastic piece of music you have just heard.

Yup, all that and more

fEDORA

Quote from: "Cack Hen"962.

On a final note, if you are a Belle and Sebastian hater (of which their are too many!) or are indifferent to them, I highly recommend hearing this song. I've given this to two people who both dismissed them as twee bollocks and they both gave me very positive feedback. But you know, it might still sound like twee bollocks to you. If so, you have nee soul, man!

The ONLY Belle & Sebastian song I've ever liked. But I REALLY like it.

Mr Hen, your selections so far have been right on the money. Keep it up.

Cack Hen

chand

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Shameless"
Like Ciarán's reaction to Girls Aloud's "Biology", I remember my first hearing of Beyonce's debut-single clearly and I recall thinking "What the fuck is THIS?". It completely blew me away and kept me pinned to the seat for it's full duration.

I don't get that at all. I remember someone raving about it at the time, so I downloaded it to see what the fuss was about...and thought 'Oh yeah, that one'. I'd been hearing it via osmosis for weeks c/o shops, TV, etc.

I can't imagine a track like that every stopping me in my tracks - I'd just switch off, think 'Generic 00s', and lump it in with all the James Blunts. Somethimes I think my pop palette is fucked.

Hmm, see, with 'Crazy In Love', the first time I heard it I thought it was fucking brilliant, and I never got tired of it despite a summer of complete saturation. It happens roughly once a year, that there's a big song that totally dominates that year, a few years ago it was 'Get Ur Freak On', the year after that it was 'Hey Ya' by Outkast and this year it's 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley; songs where for some reason the mainstream and the alternative both seem to agree that actually, this is fucking good AND cool. I was never tired of hearing any of those songs.

23 Daves

The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu - It's Grim Up North.  Peak Position #10

Sometimes it's rather difficult to tell exactly when Bill Drummond is being serious or when he's stringing everyone along.  Sometimes, at the risk of seeming like a twat, you have to give the product the benefit of the doubt.  This is a prime example of that kind of syndrome.

Lyrically, obviously, there's nowt to this.  It consists entirely of Bill reading out a giant list of northern towns alphabetically in a deadpan, disinterested voice.  He sounds indifferent to their fate, his Scottish burr sounding suitably, well, grim.  Beneath him, however, juddering, churning industrial noises whirr away.  There's the gentle sampled sound of car wheels passing through puddles in the background.  Also, there's a great walloping slow techno riff that occurs at regular intervals.  Not high paced, hyperactive, or even particuarly danceable (I asked a DJ to play "It's Grim Up North" once and he told me to fuck off) but menacing.  It's almost appropriate that the twelve inch version played at 33rpm.  There's a bassline that's also deep, throbbing and inaudible on cheap kitchen stereos.  It hits you in the gut like an aggressive warning.

Just when you think you've got the flavour of the track, though, a rousing, fantastic and ridiculously OTT orchestral (style?) version of "Jerusalem" kicks in, sounding emotive and truly powerful.  The industrial noises periodically interrupt, which adds to the effect - the orchestra are trying to overcome them and the grandoise visions of the north are trying to return.  At this point in the video for the single, Bill Drummond stands on a motorway siding staring into the middle distance with an expressionless face, being soaked in the pouring rain.  It remains one of my favourite video images.

The track ends on rain sound effects and the gentle cawing of a crow.  It's an ambient ending to a particularly threatening but often beautiful piece of work, ten minutes of wonderful contradictions.  If Kraftwerk had been recording properly in the nineties and had written a ten minute industrial anthem to small towns in the north, it would have sounded like this.  Deadpan, humourous but somehow gravely serious in intent.  Trouble is, Kraftwerk never did record anything quite this amazing or jarring.  Fact.

Paul Dee

Quote from: "Cack Hen"(insightful musings on Lazy Line Painter Jane)

I forgive you for saying that Sweet Dreams My LA Ex sounds like The Passenger as that BBC session is truly fantastic. It's odd to hear it done like that  but it still sounds great. Shame Monica Queen isn't on it though, it's a great moment when she first starts singing on the original.

fEDORA

[BANG BANG MACHINE] - GEEK LOVE [EP]

Released: 1993
Format: CDS
Cat. No.:LLCD5
Chart Placing: Number One in 1993 Festive 50

-{Download}-

-(Promo Clip)-

For all of you that missed my CD Tree entry. This song was by far the best received and is to my knowledge the only attempt to soundtrack a novel with an original song. The novel comes highly recommended too.

This sublime but extremely odd ditty topped the Festive 50 in the year of its birth and was inspired by Katherine Dunn's novel of the same name. It's an amazing read and always top of my what's a good book to recommend to a friend list.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, the book inspires gushing praise wherever it goes and the Bang Bang Machine track is it's perfect accomplice.

Quote:
Amazon.com
A wild, often horrifying, novel about freaks, geeks and other aberrancies of the human condition who travel together (a whole family of them) as a circus. It's a solipsistic funhouse world that makes "normal" people seem bland and pitiful. Arturo the Aqua-Boy, who has flippers and an enormous need to be loved. A museum of sacred monsters that didn't make it. An endearing "little beetle" of a heroine. Sort of like Tod Browning's Freaks crossed with David Lynch and John Irving and perhaps George Eliot -- the latter for the power of the emotions evoked. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Publishers Weekly
This audacious, mesmerizing novel should carry a warning: "Reader Beware." Those entering the world of carnival freaks described by narrator Olympia Binewski, a bald, humpbacked albino dwarf, will find no escape from a story at once engrossing and repellent, funny and terrifying, unreal and true to human nature. Dunn's vivid, energetic prose, her soaring imagination and assured narrative skill fuse to produce an unforgettable tale. The premise is bizarre. Art and Lily, owners of Binewski's Fabulon, a traveling carnival, decide to breed their own freak show by creating genetically altered children through the use of experimental drugs. "What greater gift could you offer your children than an inherent ability to earn a living just by being themselves?" muses Lily. Eventually their family consists of Arty, aka Arturo the Aqua Boy, born with flippers instead of limbs, who performs swimming inside a tank and soon learns how to manipulate his audience; Electra and Iphigenia, Siamese twins and pianists; the narrator, Oly; and Fortunato, also called the Chick, who seems normal at birth, but whose telekinetic powers become apparent just as his brokenhearted parents are about to abandon him. More than anatomy has been altered. Arty is a monsterpower hungry, evil, malicious, consumed by "dark, bitter meanness and . . . jagged rippling jealousy." Yet he has the capacity to inspire adoration, especially that of Oly, who is his willing slave, and who arranges to bear his child, Miranda, who appears "norm," but has a tiny tail. A spellbinding orator, Arty uses his ability to establish a religious cult, in which he preaches redemption through the sacrifice of body partsdigits and limbs."I want the losers who know they're losers. I want those who have a choice of tortures and pick me." This raw, shocking view of the human condition, a glimpse of the tormented people who live on the fringe, makes readers confront the dark, mad elements in every society. After a hiatus of almost two decades, the author of Attic and Truck has produced a novel that everyone will be talking about, a brilliant, suspenseful, heartbreaking tour de force.
Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Library Journal
Guiding us into the world of the grotesque, Dunn produces a novel of compassion, insight, and macabre humor. At its center are Al and Lil Binewski, carnival owners who breed freak offspring through drug use so that they can perform in the show. Over the years, this ghoulish process becomes the norm; indeed, as we share the experiences of the children, we find that for this close-knit family, a child's signs of normalcy are seen as a real threat. What elevates this work is Dunn's controlled, matter-of-fact narrative, her skillful character development, and her relentless insistence that we address these people and their concerns in human terms. Highly recommended.
- Joseph M. Levandoski, Free Lib. of Philadelphia
Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Reviews
A Fellini movie in ink. . . . Geek Love throws a punch.San Francisco Chronicle

Wonderfully descriptive. . . . Dunn [has a] tremendous imagination.The New York Times Book Review

Like most great novels, this one keeps the reader marveling at the daring of the author.Philadelphia Inquirer

Unrelentingly bizarre . . . perverse but riveting. . . . Will keep you turning the pages.Chicago Tribune
--This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Book Description
Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There's Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback Oly, and the outwardly normal Chick, whose mysterious gifts make him the family's most precious–and dangerous–asset.

As the Binewskis take their act across the backwaters of the U.S., inspiring fanatical devotion and murderous revulsion; as its members conduct their own Machiavellian version of sibling rivalry, Geek Love throws its sulfurous light on our notions of the freakish and the normal, the beautiful and the ugly, the holy and the obscene. Family values will never be the same.--This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Inside Flap Copy
Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There's Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback Oly, and the outwardly normal Chick, whose mysterious gifts make him the family's most precious and dangerous asset.

As the Binewskis take their act across the backwaters of the U.S., inspiring fanatical devotion and murderous revulsion; as its members conduct their own Machiavellian version of sibling rivalry, Geek Love throws its sulfurous light on our notions of the freakish and the normal, the beautiful and the ugly, the holy and the obscene. Family values will never be the same.

Say no more.

Why I Hate Tables

About Party Fears Two, anyone got it, because it wasn't there and I'd love to hear it.

Amazing thread by the way, loved Geek Love

fEDORA

Quote from: "Why I Hate Tables"

Amazing thread by the way, loved Geek Love

Glad you liked it. Whoever trimmed the song down to 4 minutes for the video needs a right good talking to.

Cack Hen

[AU PAIRS] - Diet/It's Obvious

Released: 1980
Record Label: 021 Records
Format: 7"
Chart Position: ??? (I would like to know)

-{Download}- (Diet)
-{Download}- (It's Obvious)

If I was king of the world, which I will be, I'd make it mandatory for all Franz Ferdinand singles, albums or general releases to be accompanied with this double A side. Alright, so it's not quite the same thing, but it is a musical experience whereby funky, rhythmic/high tempo guitars are incorporated in such a way that doesn't make me want to tear my eyes off. The reverse infact. Tear them back on, and then scare everyone who just watched a man tear his eyes on and off into buying this fucking single by any means possible.

Diet starts off with jerky, unrhythmic guitars and a filthy Debbie Harry esque vocal performance. The guitar seems to spend the whole song warming up, it gets more and more coherent until you're just about bored of what it has to offer, then it ends.

Lead straight into It's Obvious, where the guitar playing picks up exactly where it left off and compliments this cleaner, more commercial sounding song. By no means should that indicate that this is a tamer affair, because this is a pumping, understated use of the fantastic band dynamic. Also listen out for one of the greatest guitar solos half way through It's Obvious. It sounds like somebody trying to be shit, but just being so damn good the genius can't help but seep through.

Like Winona, I urge you to play this one loudly.

[THE HIVES] - Hate To Say I Told You So

Released: December 2000/February 2002
Format: CD
Record Label: Burning Heart Records

-{Download}-

If The Hives are, as they claim, the law and I am, as they also claim, the crime, then consider me on the straight and narra'. In 2001 I was doing the whole grunge thing, and listened to exceedingly dull music far more often than I should have been doing. I walked into an independent record shop*, just out of boredom and saw the Your New Favourite Band compilation for £4.99. I bought it on a whim, really and partly because a girl I thought I had the tiniest chance of doing things with raved about them constantly. I took it home, listened to it through and I haven't turned back since. It's a nice compilation, but it's this song that really got to me. I felt well and truly slapped in the face and inspired to investigate my new found love in rock and or roll.

This song just spills over in frantic energy. Infact, it's so confident and cocky that it brings itself to a near-crashing halt just past half way, then literally (yes, literally) explodes in a sea of feedback, howling and dirty drums. I love you, The Hives.

*It's now a pound shop.

Cack Hen

I just listened to Geek Love, that really was fantastic.

Why I Hate Tables

I know.
Tonight I'm having these singles playing on my MP3 player as I go to sleep. Good music makes me feel relaxed, unless it's some mad screeching dance.

Hans Resist

A few downloads from above:

Associates - Party Fears Two
Super Furry Animals - Something For The Weekend [Single Version]
JAMMS - It's Grim Up North [Part 1]*
The Grid - Floatation [Grid Subsonic Mix]

*America: What Time Is Love? will be up at some point in this thread in its full 10 minute glory. If not by someone else's hand, then by mine as soon as I can muster the gush.

Why I Hate Tables

Thank you,you truly are a star.

Quote from: "Cack Hen"Belle and Sebastian [...] twee bollocks

I once knew a Belle and Sebastian fan who dismissed Hefner as "twee bollocks". I'm pretty sure the resulting irony should have sucked the universe in on itself, or something.

Quote from: "chand"Hmm, see, with 'Crazy In Love', the first time I heard it I thought it was fucking brilliant, and I never got tired of it despite a summer of complete saturation. It happens roughly once a year, that there's a big song that totally dominates that year, a few years ago it was 'Get Ur Freak On', the year after that it was 'Hey Ya' by Outkast and this year it's 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley; songs where for some reason the mainstream and the alternative both seem to agree that actually, this is fucking good AND cool. I was never tired of hearing any of those songs.

Same here, and with those exact songs. In fact, as it happens (and at risk of turning this thread into another one), I'm listening to Hey Ya right now. Well, I'm actually listening to Lazy Line Painter Jane now but I was listening to Hey Ya when I read your post. Honest.

Cack Hen

Hans Resist

Sorry Cack Hen, I missed your SFA link there.

humanleech

Electro Hippies "Mega-Armageddon Death", because it's only 0.01 seconds, which is as long as any pop record should be.

Brutus Beefcake

Robot Devil

DEVO
The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprize

Released: 1979
Album: Duty Now For The Future!
Label: Warner Bros. Records
Format: 7"
Chart position: Did not chart

-Download-
-Video: Youtube-

From the opening of this song, which sounds like an ending, to the conclusion, with the bluesy yet obviously synthesized "sax" solo - this underrated (as far as I can tell, none of Devo's singles ever made the UK Top 40 - "Pioneers Who Got Scalped" indeed) release blends pop (just listen to how irresistible the vocal melodies are!) with weirdness in a way that few other bands have ever been able to match. And all in 2:42.

There's just so many ideas in this song: the ridiculously trebly guitar tone that propels the whole song; the tinkling, bleeping Moogs in the chorus; the almost tribal rhythm that comes in intermittently on the drums; even the quite-sweet-but-still-a-little-unsettling lyrics (like if "Girlfriend In A Coma" was purged of all traces of irony).

This thread actually made me look for the video on YouTube, linked above, which definitely continues the themes of "weirdness" and "loads of ideas crammed in to a short time", and adds new themes, such as "throwing a baby around" and "animated hippo mouth".

Seriously, Devo did some incredible stuff, and this song is up there with the best.

And Derek Trucks, much kudos is in order for choosing Genetic Engineering, I love Dazzle Ships! This is such a great thread.

Ciarán2

The story so far....

Verbwhores' Top 1000 Singles:

1000. Girls Aloud "Biology" (2005)
999. Rush "Spirit Of Radio" (1980)
998. The Bluetones "Marblehead Johnson" (1996)
997. Boston "More Than A Feeling" (1976)
996. Missy Elliot "Get Ur Freak On" (2001)
995. Pulp "This Is Hardcore" (1998)
994. New Order "Fine Time" (1988)
993. The Associates "Party Fears Two" (1982)
992. Beyonce "Crazy In Love" (2003)
991. Primal Scream "Velocity Girl" (1986)
990. My Chemical Romance "Helena" (2005)
989. Rachel Stevens "Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex" (2003)
988. In Aura "This Month's Epic" (1995)
987. Saint Etienne "Avenue" (1992)
986. Sister Sledge "Thinking Of You" (1984)
985. Jeff Buckley "Last Goodbye" (1995)
984. Jamelia "Superstar" (2003)
983. Drop Nineteens "Winona" (1992)
982. Madonna "Live To Tell" (1986)
981. Annie "Heartbeat" (2005)
980. Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence" (1990)
979. Suede "Stay Together" (1994)
978. Pop Will Eat Itsel "X, Y and Zee" (1991)
977. The Slits "Typical Girls" (1979)
976. Young Marble Giants "Final Day"/ "Radio Silents" (1980)
975. The Shangri-las "I Can Never Go Home Anymore" (1965)
974. The Stranglers "Let Me Introduce You To The Family" (1981)
973. Duran Duran "The Reflex" (1984)
972. The Cure "Boys Don't Cry" (1979)
971. OMD "Genetic Engineering" (1983)
970.  Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell "You're All I Need To Get By" (1968)
969.  Super Furry Animals "Something 4 The Weekend" (1996)
968. The Boo Radleys "Wake Up Boo" (1995)
967. The Grid "Floatation" (1990)
966. Wire "Outdoor Miner" (1979)
965. The Hush "Grey" (1968)
964. Underworld "Dirty Epic" (1994)
963. Way Out West "Ajare" (1994)
962. Belle and Sebastian "Lazy Line Painter Jane" (1997)
961. The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu "It's Grim Up North" (1991)
960.  Bang Bang Machine "Geek Love" (1993)
959.  Au Pairs "Diet"/ "It's Obvious" (1980)
958.  The Hives "Hate To Say I Told You So" (2002)
957.  Devo "The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprise"  (1979)

Right, so those ones in italics haven't been uploaded. There are one or two others which haven't been uploaded but I can tend to that myself tonight. They'll be up in the morning and I'll post to alert you to them. So if any of you can upload the italicised ones at some point you'll be doing a great favour. I'm trying to keep an archive so at the end I'll have all 1,000 - anyone else interested in taking on this responsibility? Keeper Of The Hits? If any of you is a latecomer to the thread and would like to hear any given track, PM me and I'll send you a yousendit link (pending the mods granting permission for all of this!). Any other problems with the list send me a PM. I'll be back in a mo with a selection of my own.

Hans Resist

I'll pitch in with three more before I go to bed:

The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Underworld - Dirty Epic
Missy Elliot - Get Ur Freak On

I'm up for collecting 'em all as well, Ciaran. Also I'll LAME re-encode whatever I can to at least 192kbs where they are lower, if I can re-rip them from CD. Hell, they should be retagged with their special VW track number too...