Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Manchester meet - Saturday September 30th at 3pm in Corbiere's

Started by Abbatoir worker, August 22, 2006, 12:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbatoir worker

Probably a bit de trop, such a relative newbie and infrequent poster jumping in with this one, but I just heard a song on the radio that told me to try to enjoy life more (Guillemotts - Trains to Brazil) as I might get blown up at any moment, so I thought 'hey'.

I see lots of regular posters reference Manchester so I'm hoping there will be some takers.

I'm suggesting the date as pretty random so we can ofc argue about it.  I am thinking night time meet?

Pub wise I suggest Fab Cafe, so the Dr Who fans get an extra incentive and we can all get our groove thang on.  Proper beer drinkers and the destitute  may wish to dispute this choice.

Carpe diem, muthafuckas!

Toad in the Hole

It might be horrible in town as that's the weekend all the undergrads appear... Stick me down as a possible!

Borboski

I'm in Manchester, but it is one of the few weekends when I'm not in Manchester.  So if was another weekend then I would be a 'possible' too.

Can we not hire a hall and play football/go bowling, etc?

Abbatoir worker

Fuck a Fresher week?  I expect that'll be positive motivation for some...

Toad in the Hole

Doubt there will be many Freshers in Fab.  I'll just go out in Fallowfield another night!

Abbatoir worker

I can do the 23rd or 30th Sept as well.  Votes please.

Abbatoir worker

Quote from: "Borboski"
Can we not hire a hall and play football/go bowling, etc?

I'm female, lazy and borderline alcoholic... so, no.

Well, maybe bowling, but there's only White City isn't there, so that would be more travelling for everyone...  and I want to see everyone dancing...

Toad in the Hole

Marginal preference for 30th... none of the dates is great, but I'll do my best.  Going to Cohesion in Platt Fields Park on 23rd... not sure whether there are still tix left, but Elbow, Coxon, Durutti Column, I Am Kloot, Badly Drawn Boy, etc etc.  About 23 quid with all the ridiculous surcharges, still not bad I reckon.

Abbatoir worker

Very nice (mostly) local line up there, I must say I'm a bit jealous but I blew my ticket money for this month paying for me and my mate to go to Leeds this Sunday.  Would love to see Coxon though, not seen him before (on his own).  Oh dear, my overdraft is calling me...

Borboski

Well my thoughts are that I haven't met any swines before, and therefore I'd rather meet people and and have a few drinks slightly earlier in the night - I have a terrible time in packed bars, I'm so much taller than everyone else that the conversation takes place a foot below me.  I like to have a nice sit down.  

So I do suggest earlier rather than later, then I can have a sit-down.  It's just imperative that I have a sit-down, basically, all right?

23rd of 30th is fine for me.  

I like The Temple of Conveniance, or Sinclairs on the Triangle, or the Ape and Apple of that square.  Corbiere's is a nice little bar with a good jukebox.  I'm allowed to have a sit-down in all these places.

Can someone please indicate if at previous meets people have been sitting down or not?

Toad in the Hole

Would need to get there ultra-early for the Temple.  Corbieres is also a good suggestion, don't know the Ape and Apple... where is that and what kind of place is it?  Sounds like a chain pub to me.

Re: Cohesion, the only thing left is for Liam Frost to appear - lovely guy, nice songs, but becoming the new Manchester music whore (not 'whore) at the mo.  Coxon is a bit of a bizarre one to add in amongst all the Mancs... not quite sure how that's arisen.

Abbatoir worker

Quote from: "Borboski"

So I do suggest earlier rather than later, then I can have a sit-down.  It's just imperative that I have a sit-down, basically, all right?

23rd of 30th is fine for me.  

I like The Temple of Conveniance, or Sinclairs on the Triangle, or the Ape and Apple of that square.  Corbiere's is a nice little bar with a good jukebox.  I'm allowed to have a sit-down in all these places.

Can someone please indicate if at previous meets people have been sitting down or not?

Perhaps you could bring a shooting stick?

Well I was thinking start about 7pm, not too late.  There's loads of seats in Fab if you get in at that time.  Temple is a bit wee (ha ha) don't you think?  Best jukebox in Manchester, I'll give you that.  Sinclair's and Ape and Apple are a bit blokey I think - I like them, but I can imagine other people might not.  Also Sinclairs is non-smoking which is a bit unfair on the addicts.  Corbiere's is ok, you do get some rough types in there on a Saturday night though, overspill from Deansgate.  Take your point about the jukebox, but perhaps also hard to find for possible out of town guests?

Current vote going towards the 30th then.

My Giddy Aunt

Its none of my business cos im not coming but meets have always worked jolly well starting at about 3pm - people tend to float in when they can and the meet grows nice and organically.

People often sit:

The Culture Bunker

I might be up for this, but won't know for sure until days beforehand due to possible commitments with the hip beat group that I play with.
It's kind of tragic that I've lived in Manchester two years and barely know any of these pubs.
Well, I know Sinclars, mainly because of the cheap beer and Corbiere's as my ex knocks about there.

Abbatoir worker

Well if people would prefer we can make the magic hour 3pm, that counts out Fab I would say.

What's Corbiere's like at 3pm on a Saturday?   Shall I do some research?  I am enjoying this already.

Huzzie

I'll be up for this (I know I say that every time and I haven't yet turned up for one) but fuck the dancing thing, are you mad?

That concert sounds like a good idea, and I may be able to get a few tickets if anyone is with out (not very many, 3 or 4 probably at the most, maybe just 2 and they may not be free), maybe a meet up would be better in a traditional bar setting. I mean, we are all there to have a laugh and a chat together, whilst getting to know one anothers real personae(?) and we can't really do that at a festival. Maybe it could be arranged to coincide with the festival so anyone who would like to could carry on to the gig either before or after.

Anyway, I am up for any day.

Hey... I wonder if I could possibly get intouch with Blue Jammer and Splattermac..

Huzzie

Quote from: "Borboski"Well my thoughts are that I haven't met any swines before, and therefore I'd rather meet people and and have a few drinks slightly earlier in the night - I have a terrible time in packed bars, I'm so much taller than everyone else that the conversation takes place a foot below me.  I like to have a nice sit down.  

Yeah, I agree and have experienced the same, so I am with you there.

Maybe that's why Neil never came to a meet, him being 9 and a half feet tall and all.

EDIT: Can we try and go somewhere where we are allowed hats/caps, please? I'm being serious. One of my latest erm... eccentricities is having a bit of a phobia about being capless, I know it sounds mad but it is actually quite sane for me (he, bet you are not at all concerned about meeting this weirdo now). It doesn't help that I am receeding and have absolutely stupid hair anyway.

Abbatoir worker

I used to work in The Roadhouse with Elbow, when 'Johnny Dangerously' was in Night and Day... ('no-one listened to a word I'd say')  

I think the festival is on from noon, so no good for going out before.

Saturday 30th 3pm Corbiere's is current front runner, the lack of windows is appealing to me.

Borboski

Hey, as long as I can sit down, and Huzzie can wear a cap, then we'll be ok.

Abbatoir worker

There's an obvious answer to that conundrum, but far be it from me etc.

the midnight watch baboon

I will only come if no-one objects to my being accompanied by my recently departed labrador, Scamp. I am having trouble getting over his demise, and he doesn't smell too ripe yet.

Abbatoir worker

Toad in the Hole

No, we can go for one later.  I'm sure it'll be dog, anyway.  Either that or pigeon.

Borboski

I'm sure there are more Manchester whores, I wont let this sink dammit!

Toad in the Hole

Funnily enough, I was just about to bump this.  Where's Waspy, for a start?  Who are the other Manchester 'whores?  I forget.

biniput

I should be considered part of the "manchester" area lot even though i'm north east Lancashire.  Would I go though???.  Getting back on my own might be a tad risky but who knows.

no_offenc

I'll go if there's going to be some Liverpool area 'whores there.  Saying that, I went to the Leeds meet and knew nobody there (and spent about half an hour trying to decide if that loud group of blokes over there were actually the people I was there to meet, and yes, yes they were, and it was a proper laugh, I think).  Though I *did* have somewhere to stay that night, I suppose.

Mark me as a "nearly maybe".

Ambient Sheep

Yeah, I'll probably come along to this one too.  Can't do 2nd September, but all else is fine right now.

Abbatoir worker

Quote from: "no_offenc"spent about half an hour trying to decide if that loud group of blokes over there were actually the people I was there to meet

Don't worry, I'm doing badges.

MonkeyDrummer

Hmm, I was thinking of coming along to this, but the dates changed and I can't make the 30th.