Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:37:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quick check: Rogue info on Brass Eye Wikipedia page

Started by Purple Tentacle, August 23, 2006, 04:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

Apologies for the laziness, I can't be arsed to find an existing thread to fit this into.

I'm just checking, this Wikipedia article about Brass Eye has got its facts wrong, yes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Eye
QuoteThe screening of the 1997 series was postponed for nearly six months as it made comic reference to murderer Myra Hindley, who was back in the news at the time after her portrait was vandalised in the Royal Academy exhibition Sensation.

1) The series was due to be broadcast in 1996
2) The furore was over Sutcliffe!, not Me Oh Myra?
3) The Myra Hindley portrait was vandalised only a few years ago, wasn't it?

Am I correct in these three facts, and if so, does anybody fancy changing the page?

Cheers

butnut

Facts 1 and 2 you're right about. Not sure about 3 but I think so.

TJ

The delay was due to Michael Grade not being told about 'Cake' until the last minute, and deciding he needed to check whether hoaxing MPs into asking questions in Parliament contravened broadcast regulations. There wasn't really a 'furore' over Sutcliffe! until after the postponed broadcast had started.

Wikipedia Morris pages - they're more trouble than they're worth.

Purple Tentacle

It makes me wonder though, who's going to be the first person to write a biography of Morris?

Have you ever given it serious thought, TJ?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Isn't it a bit early to be writing a book on Morris? After all, he's only be making programmes for about 15/16 years (I'm sure someone will come on here and give me an exact length, so to speak), so wouldn't it be better to wait a few more years until he's stacked up a larger body of work?

Yes, he's achieved a lot so far, helped change the face of comedy etc., but I personally prefer biographies which have a longer arc than just a handful of years.

Also, the chance of Morris collaborating on such a book are overwhelmingly slim, aren't they?

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "TJ"The delay was due to Michael Grade not being told about 'Cake' until the last minute, and deciding he needed to check whether hoaxing MPs into asking questions in Parliament contravened broadcast regulations. There wasn't really a 'furore' over Sutcliffe! until after the postponed broadcast had started.

Wikipedia Morris pages - they're more trouble than they're worth.

Wasn't the argument also over what Grade considered to be a "misjudged joke about AIDS" - ie the Good/Bad Aids section of the Sex episode too?

Darrell

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"It makes me wonder though, who's going to be the first person to write a biography of Morris?

Someone already is doing, aren't they?

TJ

Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"Wasn't the argument also over what Grade considered to be a "misjudged joke about AIDS" - ie the Good/Bad Aids section of the Sex episode too?

Nope, Grade's on the record as saying it was only Cake he was worried about, and even then he wan't bothered about making MPs look like idiots and was purely concerned about the legality. Hence his postponing it - he really didn't want to cut that if he didn't have to.

What a 'cunt'!

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"Wasn't the argument also over what Grade considered to be a "misjudged joke about AIDS" - ie the Good/Bad Aids section of the Sex episode too?

Nope, Grade's on the record as saying it was only Cake he was worried about, and even then he wan't bothered about making MPs look like idiots and was purely concerned about the legality. Hence his postponing it - he really didn't want to cut that if he didn't have to.

What a 'cunt'!

Ah!

That's me basing my knowledge probably on something I've read on WIkipedia there.

Purple Tentacle

So where does the 'accepted' story about his opposition to Sutcliffe! come from then? Was it from Morris himself?

TJ

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"So where does the 'accepted' story about his opposition to Sutcliffe! come from then? Was it from Morris himself?

See, this is why Neil, Strang, '10 and I really should get that Brass Eye Edit News page finished! As far as anyone's aware, there were two versions of Moral Decline prepared, in case a tabloid furore blew up and they couldn't really get away with transmitting the stronger version (which might have otherwise gone largely unnoticed... incredible sounding, but I'd reckon so). The tabloids got hold of it, hence the last-minute decision was taken to go with 'Demo 2'.

RHX

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"So where does the 'accepted' story about his opposition to Sutcliffe! come from then? Was it from Morris himself?

See, this is why Neil, Strang, '10 and I really should get that Brass Eye Edit News page finished! As far as anyone's aware, there were two versions of Moral Decline prepared, in case a tabloid furore blew up and they couldn't really get away with transmitting the stronger version (which might have otherwise gone largely unnoticed... incredible sounding, but I'd reckon so). The tabloids got hold of it, hence the last-minute decision was taken to go with 'Demo 2'.

Now this I'd love to hear more about - what were the differences between versions?

Purple Tentacle

Going by the difference between the transmitted version and the version on the DVD, off the top of my head, there's no Sutcliffe!, there's an engine rev over 'blowjob from the Pope', the bit at the end where Christ chases the little girl was obscured by the short-lived 'Connections' 4 ident, and a couple of more that I've definitely forgotten.

Is the unfunny 'Horrorcaust' sketch on the DVD? I've forgotten.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Going by the difference between the transmitted version and the version on the DVD, off the top of my head, there's no Sutcliffe!, there's an engine rev over 'blowjob from the Pope', the bit at the end where Christ chases the little girl was obscured by the short-lived 'Connections' 4 ident, and a couple of more that I've definitely forgotten.

Is the unfunny 'Horrorcaust' sketch on the DVD? I've forgotten.

Also the "A vision of Christ" bit with the punchline "farted on my balls" is also missing from the transmission version.

In fact it's one of many "blasphemous" bits edited from the series as a whole - including the "No room at the inn" bit from another episode.

TJ

The original unbroadcast edit also had Horrorcaust (which I've always found funny) and an additional post-adbreak Edmonds bit (which I haven't). Sex also had a substantial amount of material cut pre-broadcast, as supposedly did Science, but unfortunately nobody's ever come good with the copy of the longer edit that we know is doing the rounds.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "TJ"Sex also had a substantial amount of material cut pre-broadcast

I know the DVD version of sex has the "Twelve...." mutterance by Morris during the talking-to-the-young-girl-abused section reinstated - the transmission has the word "Twirly" or "Too-early" badly dubbed over the top instead.

I also remember - although I don't have the tape to hand and could be wrong - the transmission version has one of the signs similar to the "Cold Shit Action" partially obscured  - and it isn't obscured in the DVD/E4 version.

That last one though I'm quite happy to be wrong about as it's so very vague in my mind.

Morgan

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"It makes me wonder though, who's going to be the first person to write a biography of Morris?

Eh?  It's not someone like William Cook, is it?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"Andrew Morton.

Well, I don't want to judge something before I read it - but mightn't  Morton be a little bit one-sided given the stitching up he took over his Diana book on Blue Jam?

Peter Rain

Oh come on! Either I've totally lost my sense of humour or that was supposed to be joke...

Purple Tentacle

Andrew Morton is writing the new Chris Morris biography.

I think it'll be great.

Entropy Balsmalch

I'm sure it'll be very interesting - there's so much guff and nonsense written about him it'd be nice to have a distilled version - but I'm still not sure about the author's motives.

Ah well - we shall see.

Does anyone know how much co-operation he's receiving.

People who work with or are close to Morris are often quite protective of him aren't they?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "Peter Rain"Oh come on! Either I've totally lost my sense of humour or that was supposed to be joke...
It was, but I'm happy for it to escalate into a rumour.

Entropy Balsmalch

Doh!

There was I speculating on his credentials.

You poo poo head.

bithez

i just want to be on the record as saying that horrorcaust is brilliant, just because of the line about what will happen if it's banned.

ApexJazz

Quote from: "Morgan"
Quote from: "Darrell"

Eh?  It's not someone like William Cook, is it?

Heh...Come on now, you better tell us who's writing it.
The Peter Cook compilation books teaches that a William Cook editorship assures wasted pages and perfunctory research (proving the old adage that Too many Cooks spoil a good soup).