Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Meanwhile, back in Chris Morris' luxury York penthouse flat...

Started by Neil, August 23, 2006, 11:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you been enjoying the 1993 GLR shows?

Aye, they're brill
92 (74.8%)
No, they're crap
5 (4.1%)
Nyeh, average, not as good as you make out
26 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Voting closed: August 23, 2006, 11:02:16 PM

Neil

Cor, couple of really excellent finds have just surfaced in unlikely places.  Years ago now, SOTCAA kindly passed on a very short clip of Morris being broadcast on Radio 4's Loose Ends.  Ned Sherrin remarks at the start of the clip how some folks were drawing similarities between Victor Lewis-Smith and Morris.  All very interesting, but we've been gagging to get more ever since.  Well, last night we got an email from a chap called Jumbo who pointed us to the full 7 and a half minutes!  It was hiding on wikipedia, and was actually hosted on the Associated-Rediffusion webspace.  We tend to bang on about how often Morris cribbed VLS' style (and the odd gag) in the early days, but this...well, blatant theft doesn't quite cover it.  It's more an absolutely pitch-perfect impersonation of VLS, right down to the tape-winds, crazy laughing... God, he even nicks his intonations.  You can download it and have a listen for yourself: Chris Morris - Loose Ends Demo Tape - it was dated 1988, incidentally.  Does anyone have any more info on this?  Please get in touch if so - waynecarr@gmail.com - or you can chat about it in the discussion thread we've started in Comedy Chat.  And while we're on the subject of Morris doing VLS, it's always worth mentioning the totally brill Virgin 1215 Rant from those lovely 1993 GLR shows - that Steve Reich/Wright gag is Vic's.  Thanks once again to Jumbo  for pointing us to the Loose Ends demo tape, and to Mat Savage for the Virgin 1215 rant.

Next, another of the things I've personally been absolutely gagging to get hold of for far too long now.  And bits of this have definitely been circulating, but the full thing has never managed to come our way, till now.  Worth repeating that we're always on the look-out for new bits and pieces...surely someone out there must have the 1990 Radio 1 show?!  Or some GLR shows we don't have?!  If you've got something you can't see on the site, then please do get in touch at the afore-mentioned email address so we can get it circulating....we can do swaps and/or send you nice stuff in return.   Anyway, absolutely thrilled to finally be able to link you up to Wayne Carr On The Radio - 79.1Mb, a one-hour Wayne Carr special which was broadcast on GLR, on the 1st of January 1990.  It's bloody great, too, Wayne Carr is by far and away my favourite Morris character - followed closely by Keef.  Some surprises in this show, too, but I'll say no more so you can find out for yourselves.  Do let us know what you thought of the show.  And please help us keep it seeded for as long as you possibly can, that way everyone's downloads go quicker, and you help us keep things circulating.

Now, regarding Mr WC, VLS used to do this character called Steve Nage, right...

butnut

Thanks for this - I'm quite excited about a whole hour of Wayne Carr!

Peter Rain

Oh wow, this is an incredible find! Looking forward to this!

Ambient Sheep

Wow, looking forward to hearing these when I get the chance!  Thanks Neil.

Marvin

Ooh, can't wait to hear the Wayne Carr special, cheers sirs!

weirdbeard

Quote from: "butnut"Thanks for this - I'm quite excited about a whole hour of Wayne Carr!

God yeah, I can't wait to get this.  Might be an idea to put it up on Rapidshare or similar as well, as torrents can be a bit slow at times.

Thanks Neil.  Hope you're well.

Lee

Cor, that looks sounds fantastic. Can't wait to hear this.

Good work Neil! Hope you'll be around a bit more now...

Marvin

Quote from: "Lee"

Good work Neil! Hope you'll be around a bit more now...

Seconded, there's no-one to talk about Elephant 6 with and suchlike. Hope all is well with you Neil.

Lee

The download's just stopped. Have people stopped seeding all of a sudden?

Lee

weirdbeard

I'll upload it to Rapidshare as soon as I've got it.

Peter Rain

Does Rapidshare actually work then? I've never got anything from it ever.

Marvin

Send Space or something would be better, I might have a chance to do that tomorrow, I'll leave it seeding though.

TJ

Fantastic show!

A couple of people have mentioned that they've heard the Traffic Report from this show before; in fact, we've had it for download from the site for several years now. And the clip in question (which we were emailed by someone ages ago) is clearly from the same recording as this full show originates from. There were also direct quotes from this show on the old Glebe's Thrift Funnel 'Morrisisms' page, so it's clearly been in circulation for a good while. This is in fact the third occasion on which we've eventually got hold of a full show that turns out to include a clip in identical quality that has ended up on the site by itself in the past so please - if anyone has any bits of GLR or Bristol shows, no matter how short and no matter whether or not they contain a clip that's already in circulation, please mention it on here somewhere. You can see how grateful everyone is for stuff like this!

Incidentally, that news report in the middle (which is ace) - a distant relative of the fabled Radio Cambridge-era Morris sketch 'Man Steps Off Pavement'?

Neil

Good old Ray Rethink is the fellow who actually surfaced the traffic report originally, he had it on there years ago.  What is it he calls the log jam, a tree preseve?  God it's all great stuff.

QuoteIncidentally, that news report in the middle (which is ace) - a distant relative of the fabled Radio Cambridge-era Morris sketch 'Man Steps Off Pavement'?

That's one of the things I was desperately trying not to spoil the surprise of, I almost shat when I heard it!  

QuoteThis is in fact the third occasion on which we've eventually got hold of a full show that turns out to include a clip in identical quality that has ended up on the site by itself in the past so please - if anyone has any bits of GLR or Bristol shows, no matter how short and no matter whether or not they contain a clip that's already in circulation, please mention it on here somewhere.

Very good example of this over the last two updates...amusingly the Wayne Carr clip in the last update (kindly suppplied by pish) is from WC On The Radio, and cuts off just before that part.

I was saying to benthalo there, that there's been no joy on the hard drive front.  So when I get back to my own flat I'm just going to start putting the NKC stuff up as 'tape sides', then we can all try and reconstruct them into shows (where possible) together.  I'll get some decent blanks, and try and keep everything as wavs - which I try to do these days as a matter of course anyway.

Sheldon Finklestein

This sounds terrific. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me make the SendSpace link work. Would it be possible for some kind person to put it on MegaUpload? That generally seems to work.

EDIT: Nope, it's working. Sorry to bother, etc. Now I'm just sitting in anticipation of a great big helping of Wayne Carr, who nudges out Ted Maul to be my absolute favourite Morris character. Well, unless you count the Christopher Morris persona.

Sheriff John Indolent

Muchos gracias sirs!. Looking forward to hearing the Wayne Carr programme.

Is the demo where the VLC 'imitation is the sincerest form of being an unoriginal thieving bastard' quote stems from?

Ged

Thanks to everyone involved for this -- wonderful stuff.

Neil

Wayne trying to talk up the vocal of an instrumental track still slays me :-)  

Good news...this show just surfaced from an entirely different source, and this time it won't cost me a red cent.  What is the timing on my mp3? 76 minutes or something?  This guy has the whole two hours!  And what's more, his tape will be at least one generation up compared to the previous capture, and he's willing to encode it himself.

Neil

Wayne trying to talk up the vocal of an instrumental track still slays me :-)  

Good news...this show just surfaced from an entirely different source, and this time it won't cost me a red cent.  What is the timing on my mp3? 76 minutes or something?  This guy has the whole two hours!  And what's more, his tape will be at least one generation up compared to the previous capture, and he's willing to encode it himself.

EDIT:  Is it actually a two hour show though?  Ian said an hour.  Hmm, what is the timing on the mp3?

Neil

Thanks weirdbeard...listening again, he does say 'check out what's coming up in the big fun programme today, which makes it sound like Substitute is the start of the show.  And the news at the end is the 2'o'clock bulletin, which matches up.

AHH I see what's happened, I've read his email wrong, sorry.  I was up till 5 this morning trying to fix the database and was very bleary this morning and still having to work on it.  He says the whole hour is in 2 parts.  Oh well, will be nice to get the whole thing anyway, check what the quality is like compared to this other one.

Love Wayne chuckling along to Joe Dolce too, hehe. :-)