Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncleorama

Started by imitationleather, February 02, 2004, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

You got a better idea for the first thread?

I know list threads are discouraged, but there aren't any other threads so rules don't apply.

I was wondering who you thought the best uncles in comedy were. I don't mean people who are actually someone's uncle, I mean people who are referred to everyone as 'Uncle', even if they're not actually related to them. I nominate:

Uncle Peter (Reeves & Mortimer series)
Uncle Leo (Seinfeld)
Uncle Albert (Only Fools & Horses)

Also, what is it that you think makes the uncle such a good and enduring comedy character?

Silver SurferGhost

Can you not cut and paste the old thread in, I'm sure someone told us what to do at the end of the CaB update thread...

imitationleather

From the old thread:
Quote from: "SurferPig"Uncle Joes
Quote from: "weekender"The man from Uncle.
Quote from: "Funky Gibbon"Fucking hell. All I can think of is uncle Buck.

An uncle is family enough so he is not ignored, but distant enough to recognise that he is in fact completely insane.
Quote from: "mr rou-rou"UNKLE aka James Lavelle

Uncle Fester

Uncle Muncie (the otis lee cranshaw song)

Unkie Herb (Homer's brother)

Uncle Monty (you terrible cunt) from Withnail and I

Uncle Bulgaria

edit: Ah I didn't read the 'comedy' bit, i don't care, I just want to boast of the Uncles I can think of
Quote from: "levitica"Uncle Harvey (Leauge of gentlemen)
Quote from: "GroupCaptainBlueJam"I'll just have to pip (ahem) Jemfred to the post by naming Uncle Fred (Lord Ickenham).
I wish I had him as an uncle, rather than a few miserable Scousers  I could name the rest of my fantasy uncles, but we've already had a fantasy family thread on the old board, and all my fantasy uncles are all the obvious dead alcoholic comedians anyway.

Perhaps uncles are great in the same way that neices and nephews are; I don't ever want to have children, but I could handle having neices or nephews, and in fact I quite like the idea. They're related to you, but not a burden in the way that your own child would be. You get all the fun bits without all the changing nappies, being embarrassed on public transport, tantrums in supermarkets, etc, and you can spoil them because you're not their mum or dad, you're just giving them a special treat, whereas the parents would just have to disappoint their children and upset them.
Uncles are the same- they can give you treats that your parents would never give you, but they also understand that have no right to discipline you. It's like having a dad who'd buy you anything you wanted, and without the embarrassing bits.

Now, Aunts: Aunts Aren't Gentlemen, but what about them?
Quote from: "Gazeuse"Wicked Uncle Ernie
Quote from: "Nancy2"Anyone remember "Ripping Yarns", the series Michael Palin did after Python? There was a horrible uncle in that.
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Uncle Ben, the fella wot makes the rice and that
Quote from: "monkhouse terror"The song 'uncle fucker'. It isn't actually an uncle, but it's about uncles. Surely that counts?
Quote from: "Uncle Z"I think the appeal of Uncledom / Unclehood is that when you are not actually someone's uncle it can be made to sound vaguely sinister in an abuse of trust way. I mentioned in the "how did you get your name" thread about Uncle Vlad The Former Impaler. Also a line in Clockwork Orange "Come with Uncle and hear real proper". (In the record shop, shortly after "What you got back home little sister to play your fuzzy warbles on?). Er. Point? What point. Look, pretty words to distract.

CEMETERY POLKA
/Tom Waits/
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon
Independent as a hog on ice
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss

Uncle Biltmore and Uncle William
Made a million during World War Two
But they're tightwads and they're cheapskates
And they'll never give a dime to you

Auntie Mame has gone insane
She lives in the doorway of an old hotel
And the radio is playing opera
All she ever says is "Go to hell"

Uncle Violet flew as a pilot
And there ain't no pretty girls in France
Now he runs a tiny little bookie joint
They say he never keeps it in his pants

Uncle Bill will never leave a will
And the tumor is as big as an egg
He has a mistress, she's Puerto Rican
And I heard she has a wooden leg

Uncle Phil can't live without his pills
He has emphysema and he's almost blind
And we must find out where the money is
Get it now before he loses his mind

Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon
Independent as a hog on ice
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse
He plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote from: "Gazeuse"I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie
I'm glad you won't see or hear me
As I fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !

Your mother left me here to mind you
Now I'm doing what I want to
Fiddling about
Fiddling about
Fiddle about!

Down with the bedclothes
Up with the nightshirt!
Fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !

You won't shout as I fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !
Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.
Quote from: "imitationleather"My real life Uncle John today suggested someone called Uncle Malt, but I can't remember what he was in. Any comedy nazis care to enlighten me?
Quote from: "thomasina"I think he was actually uncle Mort in 'I didn't know you cared'. Maybe mid-70's, Yorkshire, very dark - a bit like Last of the Summer Wine re-imagined by Tim Burton.
Quote from: "smoker"until i was about 15 i was convinced my uncle peter was an ex-pirate, what a cock-shitting liar
my uncle brian broke my lightsabre
my uncle john likes his trivial pursuit
Quote from: "Doctor Spong"Great Uncle Bulgaria

Also, Uncle Tom. He had a really cool cabin.
Quote from: "thomasina"Uncle Ernie totally traumatised me when I first saw Tommy. I'm still not over it.

Cambrian Times

Children's Tv programme "Uncle Jack" with Paul Jones of Manfred Mann fame as the Ecological protagonist.

Uncle, the giant pig from Charlotte's Web, that wins first prize at the county fair.

Silver SurferGhost

Oh yeah, remind everybody of my out-of-context crap quote and leave out my considered observation on uncles in comedy...:wink:
Quote from: "imitationleather"My real life Uncle John today suggested someone called Uncle Malt, but I can't remember what he was in. Any comedy nazis care to enlighten me?
Quote from: "thomasina"I think he was actually uncle Mort in 'I didn't know you cared'. Maybe mid-70's, Yorkshire, very dark - a bit like Last of the Summer Wine re-imagined by Tim Burton.
Yes, written by Peter Tinniswood, it was all the rage when I was at school (so mid-late 70s is right).
Uncle Mort was played by Robin Bailey.
There was another Uncle character in it with the most annoying catchprase ever, Uncle Staveley:
"I heard that, pardon?"  16 times an episode, and all day at school.

I liked Tinniswood's other comedy of the time (The Home Front) much better, with the horrendous Mrs Place,
who had much better catchphrases.
"I am unanimous in this", and "Am I right? I am."