Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:30:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs That Make You Go Hmmmm....

Started by Reverend Minge, March 16, 2004, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend Minge

I've never been a fan of The Beach Boys - not that I don't think that there's any talent there, it's just not to my taste as I prefer something with a bit more balls.

But then.....

I was watching a TV programme on Brian Wilson as he is today, fucked up after years of drugs and mental illness. During the programme he sat at the piano in the living room while his brother sang "God Only Knows"  while standing alongside him - and it was then that it hit me what an incredible song it was. It almost moved me to tears.

Have any of you whores out there had a similar experience - dismissed or even hated a song, but when you heard the same song sung by somebody else or in a different way you then realised how good it really was?

Uncle_Z

Hate Tina Turner's "What's Love" etc. but saw the little Worrall-Thompson looking mofo that wrote it on Songwriter's Circle once.  Very good indeed.

Reverend Minge

Oh dear, just me and Uncle_Z, then......

*slinks off*

fbb bastard

oh go on then....................

that huge documentary series a few years ago on the history of the pop song or somesuch called "walk on by" i think.........

anyways they where talking to the "boys" in abba who was playing the recording of "dancing queen" straight from the board and they turned down all the backing tracks and just had frida and agnethas vocals.....jesus h christ....after what seems like a million years of muriel's wedding/mamma mia/erasure overload...just those moments of pure gold made it all worthwhile

Cambrian Times

Travis covering  "Hit me baby one more time" with Mark and Lard on backing vocals.

Spaced Cadet

I used to work in HMV and it was shite. Anyway I worked with this bloke that was obsessed with The Verve - this was around the time of Urban Hymns - He was a complete prick that tried to get me sack for nicking money from the tills, which was all bollocks. So that really put me off The Verve. Then a few years later I heard Lucky Man and thought it sounded brilliant and I was cured, I no longer associated it with the HMV wanker.

no_offenc

dan dirty ape

Paul Simon's 'Me and Julio down by the schoolyard', cause now it reminds me of The Royal Tennenbaums.

Crazy Penis

Under The Bridge by The Flying Pickets.

I never heard the chillis original version, and when I first heard the All Saints' soulless take on it I no longer wanted to shag any of them. Then my mate was listening to the Flying Pickets'  version and thats when the lyrics really caught my attention.
I even like their version of Livin' La Vida Loca and I hate myself for it.

MonkeyDrummer

My best mate got married last weekend and I was best man, I travelled back to Glasgow to fulfill my duties with my new girlfriend. Anyway, the service opened with Morning has Broken, pish song I thought but at least I recognise it. Anyway, the weekend came and went and I popped in to see my newly married friend before heading back through Glasgow homeward bound. The tape in the car stopped and while my girlfriend looked for a new tape to play the radio DJ took it on himself to play Morning has Broken, I just about managed to blubber "leave it" to my very puzzled looking girlfriend. Even now I'm welling up when i think of that song.
What a cock.

Don't know about individual tracks, but I get this with albums a lot...  can be listening to an album for ages and nothing, and then suddenly on one hearing it all comes together.

I remember this with Bandwagonesque (Teenage Fanclub), walking home and listening on a walkman and getting blown away by this album I must've played at least a dozen times before. Its a cool thing when it happens.