Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The LOST Season 3 Thread *** Please Obscure Spoilers ***

Started by 19pack, September 15, 2006, 10:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19pack

Well, it's almost upon us and they're finally releasing some official info.
Remember, all this is to be viewed at your discretion if you want to stay blissfully unaware of what to expect:

14 promotional photos for the premiere (released yesterday) can be viewed here:

http://gallery.lost-media.com/thumbnails.php?album=1164

There are also several trailers (including a 3 minute preview) for the new season that can be downloaded from here:

http://www.lost-media.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=24

Or streamed from here:

http://www.lostlinks.net/index2.htm

The recent Lost Experience Orientation video for the Dharma Initiative has also been completed and can also be streamed from the above link.

Of course, if none of that is enough and you demand answers now you can also queef all the mystery away here: //www.spoilerfix.com/lost

Baxter

Where is the Battlestar Galactica thread to compete with this one?

Artemis

Please let's not share any spoilers before episodes have been screened. I liked the second season thread cos it contained heaps of spoilers for the C4 corwd whereas discussion about episodes broadcast in the US would only happen after they'd been broadcast.

AFAIC, Lost has got a job on it's hands now. Prison Break has really upped the anty when it comes to edge-of-your-seat drama. I know that Lost is about mystery, not adrenaline per say, but still it's going to have to improve on the last season, half of which was utterly pointless filler material.

Purple Tentacle

Yes, there was a problem with the concept of 'spoilers' in the last thread, in that spoilers for Channel 4 tortoises are OK, spoilers for people downloading are NOT ok unless hidden behind a link.

That's fair enough, hey guys I don't want to become, like, Hitler or anything, yeah?

19pack

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"spoilers for Channel 4 tortoises are OK, spoilers for people downloading are NOT ok unless hidden behind a link.

That's generally what I thought when I began the thread, I was not about to post the promo photos, just provide the links for those who are ok with spoilers (for now). Obviously as the season has not began yet there may be those who might be annoyed just by the mere link, but it's ultimately thier decesion to click them. As long as a link is labelled as containing spoilers or potential spoilers, I think we'll be ok for now.

QuotePrison Break has really upped the anty when it comes to edge-of-your-seat drama. I know that Lost is about mystery, not adrenaline per say, but still it's going to have to improve on the last season, half of which was utterly pointless filler material.

The producers have said that they realise that alot of season 2 was too mythology based and so they have said that season 3 will have more action adventure in it, and hopefully as a result, more PB 'rivalling'adrenaline. But yes, Prison Break was easily the better show last season.

Artemis

So having watched the finale of S2 again recently, here's my theory - I avoid spoilers so this is just based entirely on my own intuition.

Dharma, originally, was an experiement involving geigraphically specific electromagnetics. We've been told as much and I think it's safe to presume that's correct, although the purpose of this experiment is unclear. The original 'incident' involved some kind of 'leak' which caused mutations to occur and some organisms to escape. The 'others' worked out a way of stopping future leakages, that being the pushing of the button. One time, Desmond didn't push it and that was when the plane crashed. Now the button is no more, and the island is 'showing up' on radar screens, one of which belongs to the men Penelope is paying to look for a GPS tracker device she had installed onto Desmond's boat before he started the race around the world.

The original 'incident' leak caused the US government to freak out and stop funding. They refused to allow Dharma workers to leave the island and now drop basic resources simply to maintain their survival. The Others have now become almost like a little cult community, continuing research into ESP and abilities previously considered super-human. They agressively defend their community in fear of the results of the original 'incident'.

There's a lot of unanswered questions, as you'd expect, in all that but that's as far as I've got. Anyone else?

19pack

Quote from: "Artemis"The original 'incident' leak caused the US government to freak out and stop funding. They refused to allow Dharma workers to leave the island and now drop basic resources simply to maintain their survival. The Others have now become almost like a little cult community, continuing research into ESP and abilities previously considered super-human. They agressively defend their community in fear of the results of the original 'incident'.

Yes! This could be why when Michael asks 'Who are you people? that Henry refers to themselves as 'the good guys' - because they feel screwed over by the Government that has esentially, (kind of) left them to die on the island. Perhaps this now has made them feel like a small group of freedom fighters or revolutionarys who are now trying to finish the research they started, only not in persual of the society improving stuff the Orientation films spouted on about, but for thier own revenge purposes against the government/world that they feel has abandoned them. It has been speculated that there is division within the Other's society and it could well be because there are those who disagree with trying to exert revenge on the government (perhaps including Alex Rousseu, as she was born after the 'revolution'/incident)Perhaps part of that revenge plan includes trying to develop Akira-like super psychics to exploit and use as a weapon, a quality they saw in Walt but quickly may have realised was not harnessable for thier intentions (much like Akira), hence why they were ok letting him go. Could also be what they were trying to test on Claire's baby while it was still in the womb, or even trying to 'culture' the growing baby with the genes/a treatment so that when born the child could be raised as a psychic with a level of ability they will require.

Hypnotoad.

I take full responsibility for the old thread shenanigans, poor choice of thread title. So, good to get the ground rules in first this time round !

Agree that Lost has got a lot to beat, I wondered where Prison Break would go after, well, they broke from Prison - but its got better and better.

Roll on October the 5th and god bless Bittorrent

p.s. thanks for the preview links !

Ja'moke

So its only going to be the first 6 episodes right starting from October 5th and then it takes a 12 week break or something and then will show the next 17 episodes?

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Ja'moke"So its only going to be the first 6 episodes right starting from October 5th and then it takes a 12 week break or something and then will show the next 17 episodes?

Dunno, but my 5th October date was a bit misleading, thats the day I'll be able to watch it thanks to Bittorrent. Airs in US on the 4th

Artemis

I thought it was three runs of seven episodes each, actually.

sorry, shameless bump, i know.

Totem Hokum

Taken from a FAQ sticky on 4815162342.com:

QuoteWhen will Season 3 start and what is the schedule?
United States:Season 3 premiere will air October 4, 2006.
There will be no repeats in Season 3. They will air 6 episodes in the fall with no breaks. Then there will be a 12-week hiatus and then they will air the season's remaining 17 episodes with no breaks.
Hope that helps

Artemis

17 in a row? Wow. That's a definite improvement on last season. It's nice when producers actually listen and improve things, isn't it.

Marv Orange

For those that have been reading season 3 spoilers on the net....

QuoteThe battle between LOST producers and that faction of entertainment media known as "spoilers" has been epic!  In the beginning, loose lips leaked major plot lines with exhuberance.  Kristin and Ausiello, to name a few, were ready willing and able to drop their goods at the drop of a hat.  Then, something strange happened.  Suddenly Kristin and company are getting set visits, munchy bags, personal cell phone numbers, all of a sudden the spoilers start getting more vague, and more vague until...

Meet the press of the internet's 3rd world.  Suddenly message boards like televisionwithoutpity, 4815162342, thetailsection (yes, moi), and abc's own message boards became the hot place to look for spoilers.  Using a combination of wits, skilled conjecture, and friend of friend networking, we all became the source for exclusive spoilers.  But alas,  yet another era has come to an end.

It is my sad duty to report to you that most of what you have heard about season three is the result of a purposeful campaign by LOST's production staff to keep season three's secrets safe.  I have it on good authority that only roughly 2-3 spoilers are in existence right now that bare any resemblance to the truth, which really isn't saying much.  No boxes of cookies, set visits, or the occasional phone call involved, just flat out spoiler guerilla war-fare.  The LOST producers plugged all the leaks and poisened the waters.  Our high-tech voodoo of spoiler research will no longer bare any fruit.

19pack

Quote from: "Artemis"It's nice when producers actually listen and improve things, isn't it.

Yes it is. They've even... * (mild spoiler below)

I see it more as 'two seasons for the price of one'. If South Park's split seasons can feel like new seasons when they begin again, why can't Lost?
I can't wait.

*...given in to the constant fan baiting about the fabled 'underwater hatch' it seems.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They say that like it's bad that they can't ruin the show for people before they ever had a chance to see it. They're called 'spoilers' for a reason and it's not because they keep sportscars on the road.

Anyway, I just downloaded and watched the last two episodes of season 2 because I couldn't be bothered waiting for a week to see them on channel 4. Considering I missed the whole of season one and only sporadically saw season 2, this show has been remarkably easy to get into and I'll definitely make more of an effort with season 3. I hope Locke gets written out, he's an irritating tosser I also hope the Others don't turn out to be really good, as they're cunts too.

Ja'moke

Locke is one of the best characters in my opinion. I'm glad that they are going to be showing 17 episodes in a row without any breaks, but its going to be annoying only having 6 episodes and then having to wait until the new year, but still I prefer it like this, I will be downloading them from a very reliable site which helped me very much during Season 2.

Marvin

Like the Henry trailer and looking forward to the new series a huge amount, not much else to say just now really as I'm trying to completely avoid spoilers.

On an unrelated note, torrent spy is a good website.

Artemis

On another unrelated note, I am quite a generous person and always respond to personal messages.

Totem Hokum

QuoteThe battle between LOST producers and that faction of entertainment media known as "spoilers" has been epic! In the beginning, loose lips leaked major plot lines with exhuberance. Kristin and Ausiello, to name a few, were ready willing and able to drop their goods at the drop of a hat. Then, something strange happened. Suddenly Kristin and company are getting set visits, munchy bags, personal cell phone numbers, all of a sudden the spoilers start getting more vague, and more vague until...

Meet the press of the internet's 3rd world. Suddenly message boards like televisionwithoutpity, 4815162342, thetailsection (yes, moi), and abc's own message boards became the hot place to look for spoilers. Using a combination of wits, skilled conjecture, and friend of friend networking, we all became the source for exclusive spoilers. But alas, yet another era has come to an end.

It is my sad duty to report to you that most of what you have heard about season three is the result of a purposeful campaign by LOST's production staff to keep season three's secrets safe. I have it on good authority that only roughly 2-3 spoilers are in existence right now that bare any resemblance to the truth, which really isn't saying much. No boxes of cookies, set visits, or the occasional phone call involved, just flat out spoiler guerilla war-fare. The LOST producers plugged all the leaks and poisened the waters. Our high-tech voodoo of spoiler research will no longer bare any fruit.

I am actually quite pleased by this. I am always annoyed at myself for not having quite enough willpower to keep away from spoilerfix and the like, so the fact now that it was all potentially BS has given me a new enthusiasm for what the new series has in store for us all.
If the 'spoilers' they did release were just 'Foilers' (Fake Spoilers), then they were good and convincing foilers - I was happy with what these supposed spoilers were spoiling so now, I am hoping that the real events that take place in leu of the 'spoiled' events will be even better and all the more unexpected.

19pack

A whopping 31 high definition promotional photos have been released for the second episode of season 3, called 'Further Instructions':

http://gallery.lost-media.com/thumbnails.php?album=1168

- Please be aware that many of these shots are massive spoilers for those who would rather not know (for the time being) about who did/didn't survive season 2!

Totem Hokum

Found this interesting article (Spoiler free, but speculates on future events with press release information):

'Lost' fans will (finally) get some questions answered.

Those "Lost" writer-producers are a secretive bunch. How difficult could it be to give a hint about to expect next season? Apparently, very. A little digging, however, turns up some clues on the gripping ABC drama.

WHO ARE THE OTHERS?

They're creepy, wear fake beards and have captured Kate, Jack and Sawyer. Are they "the good guys," as one high-ranking Other said, or are they up to no good? Finally - finally! - that enigma will be addressed this season, producers have teased. They better deliver. Also, expect to see much more of bug-eyed Other/hatch escapee Henry Gale, played by new series regular Michael Emerson.

WHO WILL KATE FALL FOR?

It's about time, Kate. The freckled tough girl (Evangeline Lilly) will finally make a choice between doctor-leader Jack (Matthew Fox) and con man Sawyer (Josh Holloway). Early intel suggests Cupid's arrow is pointing at a Kate-Sawyer hookup - they ARE a couple of good-lookin' outlaws. Why that coupling? According to an ABC press release, "Romance looms on the horizon as Jack's interests veer towards a mysterious woman, whose motives may be questionable."

WHY WAS LOCKE IN A WHEELCHAIR?

John Locke (Terry O'Quinn) lost a bit of his faith last season, thanks to his frustration with entering that numbered sequence (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42) on the keyboard every 108 minutes. Still, he can't deny the island's mysterious healing powers, which apparently cured his four-year paralysis and allowed him to walk again after Oceanic flight 815 crash-landed. Those powers - and why exactly Locke was bound to a wheelchair in the first place - will be explored this season, "Lost" experts say. One theory: Locke, who helped his deadbeat father withdraw stolen money from a bank, was handicapped by angry victims of the crime.

WHO IS THE FATHER OF SUN'S UNBORN BABY?

Pre-crash, a doctor said Sun's loving husband, Jin (Daniel Dae Kim), was infertile. There are three possible explanations for Sun's pregnancy: The island healed Jin's infertility (worked for Locke, leg-wise); the zygote formed inside Sun (YunJin Kim) but is neither hers nor Jin's (creepy!); or Jin is not the baby-daddy. That guy could be Jae Lee, who gave Sun secret English lessons. She was unhappy in her marriage, and planned to leave Jin and go to America.

WHAT HAPPENED AT THE HATCH?

In the season 2 finale, Locke, Mr. Eko (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) and Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick) were all in the hatch when Desmond turned the fail-safe key to diffuse whatever electromagnetic energy was quaking the island (yes, that button-pushing chore actually meant something). An explosion ensued. The hatch door landed on the beach. Survival seems like a long shot - but Eko and Locke are under contract. And Cusick is now a series regular. They gotta come out of this alive, if not somewhat - somehow - changed. Plus, ABC says Locke will team up with Sayid (Naveen Andrews) and others to try and rescue their comrades.

DID MICHAEL AND WALT ESCAPE?

The father-son duo, given a motor boat by Henry Gale, were last seen fleeing the island to destinations unknown. Desperate dad Michael (Harold Perrineau) betrayed his friends to save himself and his son, Walt (Malcolm David Kelley), who was kidnapped at the end of the first season by the Others. But don't be surprised if they return - those "Lost"-ies aren't the luckiest group. Note that Perrineau is not a regular cast member this season, but could be back as a guest star. And Walt is way too intriguing to make a permanent getaway.

WHAT IS DHARMA DOING WITH THE KIDS?

The Others snatched Walt, Frenchwoman Rousseau's daughter, Alex, and a very pregnant Claire (Emilie de Ravin). In memories of her abduction, Claire was taken to a hospital-like hatch and given a shot in the belly. A teen girl, who might be a grown-up Alex, warned her that higher-ups planned to kill her and take her baby. That's pretty freaky, and so is another theory: That the Others - those "good guys," remember? - are a social utopian experiment by the scientist-led Dharma Initiative. This could explain why they steal innocent children who haven't been tainted by society.

WHO IS LIBBY?

Michael shot and killed her last season, but viewers haven't seen the last of Libby (Cynthia Watros). She'll keep appearing in characters' flashbacks, producers said, yet her back story - she claimed to be a clinical psychologist and was supposedly among the plane's tail-section survivors - is shrouded in mystery. In flashbacks, it was revealed that she lived in the same mental hospital as an unknowing Hurley (Jorge Garcia) and gave Desmond her late husband's doomed sailboat. Fan speculation has it that she might be a member of the Hanso Foundation, which funded the shady Dharma Initiative, or a private detective.

IS CLAIRE JACK'S HALF-SISTER?

That's the buzz - and it appears to be so. After losing his medical license for operating while drunk, Christian (Jack's surgeon-father, played by John Terry) fled to Australia, where he drank himself to death after attempting to visit his secret daughter. It went down like this: He showed up at the house of a curly-haired, blonde Aussie - Claire's lookalike mother? - and boozily demanded to see the girl. The woman refused. Jack arrived Down Under to bring Christian's body back to the U.S. and, in a made-for-television twist, wound up on the same ill-fated flight as Claire.

CAN THE SHOW KEEP IT UP?

As many fans complain, "Lost" is more about the questions than the answers. It's confusing and captivating. At least some things were (sorta) cleared up in the finale of the dark and hatch-centric second season, which runneth over with sci-fi mysteries that had viewers scratching their heads. Thankfully, the Powers That Be heard the fan feedback - and they're doing something about it. In a recent podcast posted on the show's Web site, a producer revealed he was influenced by complaints that season 2 was "too mythologically dense." Expect to see a lot about relationships in future episodes, including a dose of much-needed romance.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Totem_Hokum"Expect to see a lot about relationships in future episodes, including a dose of much-needed romance.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Totem Hokum

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Totem_Hokum"Expect to see a lot about relationships in future episodes, including a dose of much-needed romance.

I predict a soppy scene round the fire where Charlie, Claire and the baby are shooting up the 4815162342 serum together accompanied by happy guitar and piano music.

Artemis

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"

That was their speculation, I think, rather then pree-release based information. I damn well hope it is, anyway - that's the last thing Lost needs to focus on. I've heard from elsewhere, accidently, that Lost will actually be more action based this season.

Totem Hokum

QuoteExpect to see a lot about relationships in future episodes, including a dose of much-needed romance.

Sadly, this has been quoted directly from Damon Lindelof, one of the show's  producers.

QuoteThat's the last thing Lost needs to focus on. I've heard from elsewhere, accidently, that Lost will actually be more action based this season.

Agreed, but many fans lost interest because of the heavy focus on show mythology last season. Many want to see a return to the 'feel' of the first season, and I think this is how the producers are going to attempt to do it, aswell as upkeep the general wierdness. This could turn out to be the most balanced/pleasing season so far. They're even changing Locke back into his hunter/gatherer persona.

Purple Tentacle

The first half and last half of Season 2 absolutey blew the sunny soap-opera of Season 1 away. What a mistake to go back to the pedestrial 'feel' of Season 1.

Didn't the dip in quality midway through season 2 happen because the usual writers all fucked off to work on other projects for a bit?

The problem is that pretty much all the characters are essentially unlikable, but the writers have fallen into the trap of not recognising this, and thinking that we give a shit. For the love of god, who cares about Charlie, the rubbish sith-lord?

Totem Hokum

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Didn't the dip in quality midway through season 2 happen because the usual writers all fucked off to work on other projects for a bit?

My theory is that the bigwig producers and directors of Lost get dibs on all the exiting season openers/enders and key episodes, while writing for 'the rest' (those episodes where they already know not much will happen) is palmed off onto the lesser writers who do not have such a strong sense of the show as their superiors. Therefore they are all the more noticably weaker in comparison.

QuoteThe problem is that pretty much all the characters are essentially unlikable, but the writers have fallen into the trap of not recognising this, and thinking that we give a shit. For the love of god, who cares about Charlie, the rubbish sith-lord?

Charlie's likely to go at some point this season is what I think. His back story ran dry after the very first episode he had. In the meantime he has just filled the quota of 'novelty brit'. Now we have the more interesting and IMO more likable Desmond, Charlie will be left by the wayside not only with the fans, but with the writers as well. It would also make sense from a story point of view. My prediction? Claire finally fully trusts him and he finally gets over the heroin cold turkey/physcological dependence, only for tradgedy to strike at a pivotal narrative moment that also involves some mythology, because they'll assume it's a really, really big deal that Charlie is going.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "Totem_Hokum"
Charlie's likely to go at some point this season is what I think.

Well I hope they explain his change in character and why he is acting like a snidey arse.

terminallyrelaxed

I know Hokum's article contains speculation, but if we're not into spoilers here, why does the thread title say *potential spoilers*? Someone could misread that and jump in here with something they've heard and then all hell will break loose.