Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The LOST Season 3 Thread *** Please Obscure Spoilers ***

Started by 19pack, September 15, 2006, 10:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Well that's all very well and good but even a drama goes somewhere. The first episode of this season told us practially zero - it wasn't very good as a mystery or a drama. I'm inclined to go along with what you're saying though - just enjoy it.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Marvin."
Quote from: "DistantAngel"
Quote from: "Marvin."What do you want though, a video of all the answers being held up on flashcards?

Whatever happens, I'm just happy to go along for the ride ...

Exactly. Ultimately it's a drama series, that's usually well-written and pretty well-acted (with the admitted exception of a few episodes and cast members) and yes the mystery and theories that surround it is one of the things that has set it apart from several other series, but the main idea is to enjoy it as a drama, not as a race to find out what's going on.

I'm not talking about getting all the answers now, I just think it moves too slowly, with too much inconsequential shit in between the actual story. Think back to a significant number of flashbacks which, at the moment, appear to count for nothing

What happened this week? Sawyer and Kate did some digging, Henry sat on a chair in front of Jack, Sun nearly got kidnapped and the others stole the boat, all of which were probably in the preview last week

I'm not talking about rushing to get all the answers, I'm talking about trimming the episodes of all the fat which is there to straddle fucking 118118 adverts

When I watched series 1, I was able to download the whole of the latter half of it, I skimmed through so much of each episode and didn't miss a thing from the storyline

Marvin

But you did probably miss a lot of really good or entertaining scenes.

You sound like you don't actually like Lost, so why bother with it?

Custard

Hope I can post this here.

A site is streaming all Lost episodes so far. The quality isn't great, but I thought I'd pass on the linky anyway.

http://tvlinks.50webs.com/Lost_links.html

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Marvin."But you did probably miss a lot of really good or entertaining scenes.

You sound like you don't actually like Lost, so why bother with it?

Are you shitting me? I love it, does that mean I can't criticise it?

Marvin

No, fair enough then, I criticise it all the time, it's just this common thing of people saying they skip all the flashbacks or character scenes to get to the 'answers' which annoys me, because the 'answers' are one part of the show, and if you don't like any of the flashbacks etc then quite frankly you're probably wasting your time.

If you love it, as I say fair enough, and there has been some shite bits of filler, almost anything to do with Charlie for example, but then some of the 'pointless' bits have been excellent. Mr Artz for example was an brilliant bit of silly writing, who always reminded me of Frank Grimes in The Simpsons, a 'normal character' who points out everything ridiculous that's going on, and as a result gets killed.

Anyway, all I meant was that like it or not the flashbacks, all the character-developement stuff is obviously just as important to the writers as the big answers and I doubt that'll change.

Hypnotoad.

Oh definately, some of the flashbacks are ace, and essential to the plot

But both the flashbacks and main story just have too much padding for me

If you had the whole of series 2 on your hard drive to watch, and WinDVD that lets you play it at 2x speed with full sound, I bet most people would skip anything involving Charlie and the baaayyybeeee :)

Marvin

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

After a 36 hour wait for it to download (why do torrent sites even bother to say how many seeders a torrent has when it's never the case?) I've just watched the latest episode and it was mostly very good. Somewhat annoying that we still haven't seen anything of the other survivors, if Locke's still alive then everyone should be out to lynch the fucker by now . The Sun/Jin flashbacks seemed a bit irrelevant but they were still entertaining and that's about it for the bad bits.

I took a perverse pleasure from seeing the Others getting a kicking. I really hope their talk of being good is bunk, as they're a right bunch of cunts at the minute. Benry Gale was rather Kevin Spacey-esque at the end. Will Jack do a Michael and sell everyone out?

It seems strange that the show is still set in 2004.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: "Homer J"But you just know that the preview showed you the 2 or 3 only exciting parts in the episode, asides from lots of unnecessary padding

Episode 2 could've been 20 minutes long for all that the show moved forward

Its an argument we had last series as well, but they really to string this out as much as they can possibly get away with

What would the moments of excitement meant if they were non-stop FAST MOVING PLOT?

They would've meant fuck all. The pacing works for the show.

Joy Nktonga

On an entirely unrelated note, Limewire is a very good app. I did have to download each ep twice because some friendly folk had mis-labeled their files. Grr.

I enjoyed both eps though, but like others here I keep wanting to see what's going on back at the main camp. It was good to see Sayid, Jin and Sun in ep2 and thought that the tension built on their storyline nicely, although I could see the bluff a mile off. Are The Others good or not? I can see why they're so protective of their island, but the chain-gang, beatings and shocks really suggest Bad People to me. Surely if they really are the good guys they would be more sympathetic to the survivors. It wasn't their fault the plane crashed there.

I like the pacing of it. I can't think of any other TV show that has me really wanting to know what's going on and what will happen like Lost does. Perversely, I enjoy the frustration of the slower pacing. I have mixed emotions about the flashbacks and almost pointless feeding-time scenes. The back stories fill many gaps in my need-to-know mind and often seem to hint at things that may or may not come to pass (upping my perverse frustration enjoyment) as well as slowing things down (again, upping my PFE).

Only another five days to wait 'til I can fire Limewire up again #la la la#

Purple Tentacle

You want to be careful with Limewire, a lot of the files on there are little more than disease addled prostitutes, especially the ones featuring videos of disease addled prostitutes.

terminallyrelaxed

I don't think there can be any question of these guys being 'good'. They may think they're saving the world, but so do white supremacists. So they might be carrying on the work becuase it must be done to save the planet or whatever - did it not ever occur to them to just, you know, ask?
That may seem far-fetched, but remember everyone's taking turns pushing the damn button without any fuss. No, their first act was to slaughter as much of the tail section as they could on the first night after the crash.
I just don't buy it at all. I think they want us to believe that Juliette is a good person who is trying to make the best of a bad situation, they are heavily pushing the 'its for your own good' and 'there are things you don't know or couldn't understand' looks and emphasis. But I don't think any room has been left for some kind of deus-ex-machina gimmick at the end where we get to see all installments of the induction film and it becomes clear that butchering plane crash survivors was an unpleasant but necessary part of saving the world. I'm perfectly willing to believe that hard decisions have had to be made, can even understand isolationism and not helping the survivors, but good guys? Its a stretch. If it happens, then we are going to be constantly dogged by thoughts about how while Ben and Tom are making noble sacrifices and tough decisions, was it really necessary to do X, Y or Z? And lets face it, theres been no shortage of X, Y and Z.
OK we already knew or thought that Desmond's  (or his predecessor's, I forget which) failure to press the button caused the plane crash, so its no surprise that the Others were taken by surprise by the plane crash, but their desire for a passenger list and obvious contact with the outside world seems based on how they think the survivors can help them, who will be useful to them. If there is no way off the island and these people are faced with plane crash survivors, then why not enlist their help? OK its a big story to swallow but it would surely be easier to convince them than engage in primitive warfare and knocking each other off.
Its hardly a struggle for natural resources is it? The place is the size of fucking Wales.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How many of the survivors have the Others actually killed? There was Steve or Scott or whoever Ethan killed to get Claire back and of course Sawyer and Charlie were attacked and left to die but I thought everyone else was just kidnapped. Meanwhile the survivors have killed at least six Others and tortured Benry, so perhaps that's part of the Others' warped morality.

Joy Nktonga

Cheers for the Limewire heads-up PT. Virus scanners are my friends - and I like to think I'm careful.

It is hard to decide about the others - I can't buy into the isolation=crazy psycho theroy as they seem to have the access to the outside world, and if saving the world was their daily raisins then recruiting the newbies would seem like the logical way to go. They have been a bit kill-kill-kill about it all, but why are they like that? On the other hand, what's-her-name did point out that by shooting her the others would become the survivors' enemies. But then, bluffs and double-bluffs consistently abound!

Yes, the survivors have also been trigger happy, but in the face of (what appears to have been) extreme hostility. I don't feel that the others have the same provocation. If they have, it's because of their own actions.

These things, and the fact that we're thinking about them and discussing them are what makes this show great telly.

terminallyrelaxed

Quite.

Claude, they also did in quite a few tailies.

Cappsy

I'm in two minds about the padding argument.  On one hand, it'd be nice  to have a faster paced show, with perhaps twice as many revelations per season, but when you think about it the way it's being done really is the best way, especially if you consider how US TV works.

At the moment, Lost is set to go on for a while, and if Abrams, Lindelof and Cuse go too quickly they would soon be in a position where they've finished their pre-planned story arc but the network still want more.  The show would continue, probably with different writers and producers, and the show will likely become irredeemable shite.

So, the show needs this padding if it is to keep any form of consistency throughout it's natural 5 or 6 year life.  As it happens, this padding usually takes the form of character development, something which has drawn a huge number of extra viewers.  The best they can do is make this story-stalling padding as entertaining as possible, and I think they manage that most of the time.  

So, with that in mind, I'm completely happy when an episode goes no-where in the main arc but concentrates on characters because I think, in the long run, it's for the good of the show that it doesn't blow its load too quickly.  The slow pacing is the story's defence mechanism against the way US TV works, and I think it's wholly necessary.

Ja'moke

I agree with the above, we dont want Lost to end up like X Files and just get confused in its own storylines, so taking it in this steady pace is the best thing to do seen as it will be going on for a few more years.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"I really hope their talk of being good is bunk, as they're a right bunch of cunts at the minute.
Of course they're not good.  If they were they'd be more friendly and would help the people from the plane crash to get home.  No, they're cunts.

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"On an entirely unrelated note, Limewire is a very good app. I did have to download each ep twice because some friendly folk had mis-labeled their files. Grr.
After you've downloaded a few mb, copy the partially downloaded file to another folder and you can play incomplete avi files with media player classic, then you can see what you're getting.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"You want to be careful with Limewire, a lot of the files on there are little more than disease addled prostitutes
Yeah, set your filters to filter out .exe .wma .wmv .zip .asx .asf .mov .scr .vbs, and you should be ok.

mugwump ji sum

Agreed that there's no way to spin it now to make the others good guys... at best they come across as very misguided idealists.

I'm also happy with the pace of the series, it makes it more rewarding when another bit of the jigsaw falls into place, or when there's a flurry of action.  Definitely works better watching three or four episodes in a row though.

One thing that I don't get at all.... when Locke was trapped under the blast doors, why did Ben tell Locke that he didn't push the button? The Series Two finale showed what would have happened, so he must have pressed it. If he had succeeded  in persuading Locke that it was pointless then wouldn't the whole island/world be destroyed? I've got a feeling this will be addressed later in this series, maybe when we see the aftermath of the hatch (...and Charlie's 'what's the big deal' act at the end of series two was the most irritating character trait of the series so far).

Marv Orange

Quote from: "mugwump ji sum"

One thing that I don't get at all.... when Locke was trapped under the blast doors, why did Ben tell Locke that he didn't push the button? The Series Two finale showed what would have happened, so he must have pressed it. If he had succeeded  in persuading Locke that it was pointless then wouldn't the whole island/world be destroyed? I've got a feeling this will be addressed later in this series, maybe when we see the aftermath of the hatch (...and Charlie's 'what's the big deal' act at the end of series two was the most irritating character trait of the series so far).

I think it was more to do with Ben getting locke to question his actions. What ever the buttons purpose it was there to hold back what ever electormagnetic forces the faciltiy was holding back. At the end of the finale Ben looked.quite pleased with himself when the whiteout happened/

CookACat

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Claude, they also did in quite a few tailies.

Hmm, weren't the tailies abducted? Jin and Eko saw the two kids in the jungle in their Others 'costume'. And in her speech to Michael, didn't Ana say 'then they took nine more...'?

I think the Losties (god this lingo makes me a bit sick) might have a higher kill-count - adding to those mentioned above (Ethan, Goodwin, Woman on boat) there are the the two that Eko killed before he went mental and grew his beard in order to cut it off after a suitably biblical length of time. Oh, and the Losties like to kill their own - ie. Shannon, Ana, crazeee Libby, maybe adding Kelvin in too.

Off topic, are US dramas the best thing ever? I've been immersed in the West Wing, and it is just fucking brilliant. I also fear for my sanity come January when Lost and 24 co-air. NNNggghhh!!

terminallyrelaxed

I thought they killed some of the people they dragged off. When Michael and Sawyer and Jin met the tailies, on their way back to ourbunch they came across at least one body which Ana-Lucia r Libby said was a tailie. But I haven't done the math so maybe you're right.
Do we know that woman on boat is dead? I know she was shot by Sun...

Totem Hokum

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I thought they killed some of the people they dragged off. When Michael and Sawyer and Jin met the tailies, on their way back to ourbunch they came across at least one body which Ana-Lucia r Libby said was a tailie.

The body that Jin and Eko come across in the jungle is of the impaled Goodwin, and he was an Other.

Artemis

So do you think the producers are now going to push for a weird love-triangle plot with Jack, Juliette and Ben, and push Kate and Sawyer together?

I agree that to suggest the Udders are good guys (still possible) would be pushing it. However, I'd like to see Jack co-operate with them because that would be something we've never seen before, and it would give us a wealth of answers I hope.

PS I wonder what the drug the Udders injected them with was designed to do?

Marv Orange

This week.

So old locke was a putz we already knew that.

Des can see in to the future perhaps.

Does anyone know if the commune leader was in it before? Was he a cop or something?

So huge explosion/something happens hatch door falls to the ground and the camp do fuck all for 2 days not even wondering where Locke et al are, bunch of wank.

Conclusion from this episode

Lost can't do CGI.

Cappsy

Quote from: "Marv Orange"Lost can't do CGI.

More accurately, they do the best they can on a TV budget.  Besides, the plane crash effects (seen from the various angles in various episodes) always look excellent.

Marv Orange

They haven't done decent cgi since the pilot ( i know that had loads of money spent on it) the hurley bird was shite, hobbit vision was shite, there is even tearing on the lost logo at the begining. The second clip of the plane crash about the tail section was poorly done as well.

Cappsy

Quote from: "Marv Orange"They haven't done decent cgi since the pilot ( i know that had loads of money spent on it) the hurley bird was shite, hobbit vision was shite, there is even tearing on the lost logo at the begining. The second clip of the plane crash about the tail section was poorly done as well.

Must be a matter of taste, then, because you've just listed effects that I was quite impressed with.  Then again, my expectations are quite low, as the FX budget must me pretty low, and the episodes have a stupidly quick turnaround.  What they produce is more than enough, I think.

The tearing on the Lost logo is funny, though.  I think the story goes that it was knocked up on someone's laptop and was never replaced, so that's why it's a little rough around the edges.  I'd be disappointed if they fixed it now, though, as it's become like and old friend.

Ja'moke

So Desmond knows something we dont know, yet another question and no answer lol.

I know we cant talk about the previews, but just want to say next weeks episode looks awesome.