Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The LOST Season 3 Thread *** Please Obscure Spoilers ***

Started by 19pack, September 15, 2006, 10:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marv Orange

Quote from: "Craig Torso"I've been avoiding this thread for a day or so in case somebody posts spoilers for next week but caved and am glad to see the thread remains spoiler free.

What do people think about Desmond's vision with Claire getting into a helicopter?  He's been spot on so far and it'd be a massive 'what the fuck?' moment if it happens next week.  If Charlie manages to shut down the jamming signal then what's stopping them from using the phone?  It'd be ace if the final shot of the series is of helicopter woman's boat sailing towards the island.

Setup one episode and pay off the next... have you been watching lost?

Edley

Quote from: "chumfatty"I don't think Charlie is supposed to die, all of Desmonds previous flashbacks have been shown within the episodes, why wasn't this one? Possibly because it is different to what Desmond suggests? I don't know what his motivations are for lying to Charlie, but it just doesn't sit right with me that we haven't seen any footage of the flash backs.??
The only time we actually saw Desmond's flashes of Charlie dying was when he got the arrow in the neck. We never saw flashes of Charlie getting struck by lightning, drowning or slipping on the rocks.

Craig Torso

Quote from: "Marv Orange"Setup one episode and pay off the next... have you been watching lost?
Of course, I meant it'd be ace if helicopter woman's boat appears at the end of next season.  How silly of me.

Totem Hokum

Here's the Lost s3 thread, for all those eager beavers who want to discuss the finale. Which I haven't seen yet, so I'll be avoiding the thread.

Marv Orange

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 17, 2007, 04:31:40 PM
Also Marv I think you should give up with Lost now, it seems that every episode just disappoints you, why put yourself through it every week.

I've started so I have to finish watching it.

alex

Spoiler tags aren't working for me! Just watched the finale, minor spoilers hence this post is in beige.

What the fuck was that all about? At first I thought, Yeah standard Jack flashback, where's this going? But the last minute or so has seriously made me go whaaaaaaa.. Kate and Jack didn't know each other before the crash, so this is a flash-forward rather than back?

So, they got rescued but we don't see it? How is this going to go on for another 48 episodes if they have been rescued, or is it all a dream? Well, it does it's job and keeps me watching. Was this the spoiler people were going on about last week?

Minor issues: why didn't Charlie swim to the surface? Mikhail done pretty well considering he had a massive chest wound.

oh yeah - Walt! no Michael, but Walt looked older - shame there was nothing about Walt's & Michael's back story.

So, all in all that was pretty good, when's this coming back on?

Totem Hokum

Quote from: alex on May 24, 2007, 01:02:56 PM
So, all in all that was pretty good, when's this coming back on?
February 2008, and for just 16 episodes.

Bogey

Beware, beware!
The finale (like all before) is a double episode. Repeat, a double episode.
If you download just the second one by mistake and wonder why the beginning seems a bit weird and it feels like you've missed something, don't just keep watching it you damn retard. Fucky fuck fuck.

GRR.

alex

Quote from: Totem Hokum on May 24, 2007, 01:06:57 PM
February 2008, and for just 16 episodes.

Damn, that's long.

Also, thinking back to the finale:

If Jack's dad is dead, why did he tell that doctor to 'Go get my dad' with regards to being drunk?

And who the hell was dead in that coffin then? Fuck, I'm going to have to re-watch this again

My Giddy Aunt

Man alive. I dont get it.
Which i wouldnt mind cos thats the point i suppose, but 9 months is a long time to wait in ignorance!

Beck

Quote from: alex on May 24, 2007, 01:42:05 PM
If Jack's dad is dead, why did he tell that doctor to 'Go get my dad' with regards to being drunk?
I believe that was just a red herring used to moisten (or whatever's an antonym for 'lessen') the effect of the surprise ending; the reason for Jack's line being, presumably, that he was all rather drunk and high and getting a bit mixed up. Hence the look of pity on the Black doctor with a rubbish moustache's face, and why Jack stops the pharmacist from calling his Dad to confirm the prescription.

Neil

Just watching the last two episodes.  Raynard and Rose turn up in the penultimate episode, despite not being in season 3 for many, many weeks.  PFFT!  So fucking obvious that he's going to die.  Lazy plotting.

(He'd better die, now.)

EDIT:  Ah! I knew Charlie would put the ring under the bay-bee too.  Way to choke the fucker, idiot.

EDIT:  Fuck you, Bernard!

chumfatty

So this is why Penny can't be arsed to send out a boat, she's too busy with Buxton!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Beck on May 26, 2007, 11:51:24 AM
I believe that was just a red herring used to moisten (or whatever's an antonym for 'lessen') the effect of the surprise ending; the reason for Jack's line being, presumably, that he was all rather drunk and high and getting a bit mixed up. Hence the look of pity on the Black doctor with a rubbish moustache's face, and why Jack stops the pharmacist from calling his Dad to confirm the prescription.
Possibly, but
Spoiler alert
in one of the podcast's recently the show's producers said that one of the things we should be thinking about is why Jack's Father's body was never found in the wreckage.

This could all be misdirection however, and it's all still up in the air as to why certain characters die on the island, like Mr Eko, whereas John Locke not only recovers from paralysis, but also from a rather nasty gunshot wound. I guess it's all to do with those who are 'in touch' with the island, and who aren't, though I don't really know to be honest.
[close]

Totem Hokum

Quote from: chumfatty on May 27, 2007, 12:04:25 AM

So this is why Penny can't be arsed to send out a boat, she's too busy with Buxton!

Heh, that's brilliant! How did you find that?

Ausiello's post-finale interview with Carlton Cuse:

QuoteWhat the frak is Kate doing in Jack's flashback?! OMG... This isn't a flashback -- it's a flashforward!

Forget rattlesnake in the mailbox. Lost's big game-changer was more like an anaconda in the post office.

I don't know what else to say but... wow.

Not since ABC debuted a little show called Twin Peaks back in 1990 have I been so riveted by two hours of TV. I laughed. I cried. I cheered. I choked on my Snapple. And now, I'm processing. And there's lots to process, as the rattlesnake wasn't the finale's only "Oh, #$*&!" moment. Let's quickly review some the others (after which we'll get to the real reason you're here: the Carlton Cuse debrief):

• Hurley's rousing off-road trip
• Jack and Juliet's surprising smooch
• Jack's admission of love to Kate
• Penelope's Naomi-busting communique
• The hysterically awkward family reunion between Ben, Rousseau and Alex
• Walt's return
• Matthew Fox's fearless, balls-to-the-wall performance
• The many deaths, including Friendly, Naomi, Patch and, most importantly...

... Charlie. Poor, poor Charlie. We've seen a lot of characters get the life knocked out of 'em on Lost, but, let's be real: this is the first one that actually hurt. And no one's feeling the pain more than the guys who pulled the trigger (or the pin, as it were): executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof.

Shortly before the finale aired, Cuse talked to me about the decision to have Charlie join the likes of Shannon, Boone and Mr. Eko in the big island in the sky. But he side-stepped questions regarding any of the finale's other big developments, preferring instead to let "fans digest it without our further interpretation or explanation." Fair enough.

Why'd you kill off Charlie?
Cuse: We felt like we needed to pay off Desmond's prognostications. We thought about various ways in which that could pay off, but, ultimately, we came to the conclusion that the best version of the story was for Charlie to die.

But Desmond could have had premonitions about anyone. Why Charlie?
Cuse: In order for the story to have real stakes, we had to make it a significant character. And we felt like we had told the biggest and most important parts of Charlie's story. He was an addict; her recovered from his addiction; he found some meaning and purpose in his relationship with Claire. We didn't really want to throw him back into the throes of addiction again. It just felt like this was the best path for this character -- the Everyman Hero making this tremendous sacrifice for the benefit of everyone else on the island -- even if it resulted in the painful consequences of losing Dominic.

As heartbreaking as his death was, it was also kind of beautiful.
Cuse: We gave Charlie a death that was distinctive from any of the other [deaths on Lost]. He willingly chooses to sacrifice himself, and does it in an incredibly noble and heroic way. It felt to us like that was the necessary story culmination for Season 3 to feel complete. Unfortunately, you exist in two realms. You exist in one realm: Damon and I as storytellers. And then we also exist in the realm of producers who happen to be friends with Dominic Monaghan, who's a wonderful guy and a terrific actor. It's really painful to have what's best for the story collide with a personal relationship with an actor. It was very hard to say good-bye to Dominic. But I think he understood. Lost is a story and there's kind of a continuum to it. And some characters are destined to complete the entire journey and others aren't. Charlie's death wasn't insignificant. It creates a major turn in the overall story of Lost.

Charlie's death also shows that no one really IS safe on Lost.
Cuse: Right. If Billy Petersen has a gun put to his head on CSI, nobody really believes he's going to die. But on our show, we really DO want the audience to believe that whenever a character is in jeopardy, it really could mean the end of that character. We didn't think of it as callously as, "Oh, well, we have to make people believe in the stakes of out show." But that's definitely a repercussion of Charlie's death. Major characters CAN die.

What was Dominic's reaction?
Cuse: Dominic was extremely gentlemanly about it and very professional. I think it was hard for him. He really loved being on the show. The moment when it really sunk in the most for us was when Damon and I went into the editing room and watched the sequence in which Charlie dies, fully edited. I don't think either one of us was prepared for the visceral emotional reaction of watching it on screen. First, because Dominic did such an awesome acting job. Second, because Jack Bender did such an incredible job directing it. But mostly, it was the emotional impact of seeing in celluloid the consequences of our story decision. It was really affecting. In those moments, you realize the profoundness of the decisions you have to make as a storyteller.

Did you ever stop and think, "This could really put a crimp in his relationship with Evangeline [Lilly]!" I mean, they had a good thing going, living and working together in Hawaii.
Cuse: I wish that we could take those things into consideration, but we can't. Damon and I always tell ourselves, "The story has to take precedence." It's painful when there are personal consequences that are an offshoot of those decisions, but we have to tell the story the best way we can. And while it will be painful for the audience to see Charlie go, I think that it's also an incredibly cathartic emotional experience. And it helps give the finale a sense of closure, and the season a sense of roundness... That we sort of begun and completed a journey during the 23 hours we did this year.

And now we've got to wait nine long months until the next chapter.
Cuse: It's the best of the available choices. I think if you were to ask anybody, "Do you want it fast or do you want it good?" You would say, "I want it good."

Quote from: Totem Hokum on May 27, 2007, 09:20:04 AM
Heh, that's brilliant! How did you find that?

It's on Adam's blog:

QuoteIn other old photo news. I was rooting through some old crap in the attic the other day and I found this picture of myself as a carefree 23 year old bartender with a young lady customer I had charmed into the restaurant photobooth with my special people skills and booze.

Needless to say that's as raunchy as things got and I never saw her again until a few months ago when I was watching Lost, the ridiculous yet enjoyable mystery island soap. Recognise her yet? Give up? OK, click here. That's right, it's Penny, erstwhile girlfriend of Desmond (catchphrase 'you alright brother?')! What are the chances eh? Thought I'd share that with you, it doesn't really go anywhere. Maybe if she reads this she can send me a message of some kind to complete a rather underwhelming circle.

Custard

*WARNING - Strong spoiler about the direction of the 4th season is featured at the bottom of this article*

All but the last two lines are from an interview with the actor who plays Ben...

... the last two lines give info about season 4.

Spoiler alert
Among those blown away by Wednesday's season finale of Lost was cast member Michael Emerson, who plays arch-villain (or misunderstood savior?) Ben. We caught the actor at last night's Brittania Ball on the Queen Mary 2. Now that the episode's aired, Emerson was able to be more forthcoming than he was when we interviewed him earlier this week â€" except that he's just as flummoxed as the rest of us about what lies ahead for the Lost ones.

Now that the finale has aired, do you have any freaking clue what’s going to happen when you start shooting again?
No, because I didn't know what the end of the episode was until I watched it. That was a secret scene with Jack and Kate â€" only Matthew [Fox] and Evangeline [Lilly] were given that text and it was shot in secret. I had to wait until last night to have this earth-shattering revelation: Now not only are we going to live in the present and the past, but also the future. And the little things they dropped made my hair stand on end!

Like what?
Kate and Jack got off the island somehow, but other castaways didn’t, and they’re sick about it. And who’s in the coffin? And who is Kate living with?

Sawyer?
Or is he dead or on the island?

Do you have sympathy for Ben's character?
I have full sympathy. I believe he has a mission and an agenda that he hasn’t shared with us yet. The survival of the earth may depend on Ben’s work, so it justifies his ruthless behavior. Maybe I’m just fantasizing or deluding myself.

Is Naomi, the British woman who parachuted from above, really bad news?
She’s a messenger from the dark side. I think we can take Ben at his word. Whoever is on the boat that they just called mean them no good. As soon as we’re in season four, I think we’re gonna discover that everyone is in deep trouble.

And, from Ain't It Cool News:

Next season of Lost will feature BOTH flashbacks and flash-forwards.
[close]

My thoughts
Spoiler alert
OK i'm excited now, as it's confirmation that they really do have the eventual ending mapped-out. Now it really feels like it's actually heading somewhere, and not drifting along aimlessly, adding more and more un-answered questions along the way. The ending is planned, and that's very very exciting.
[close]

What a head-fuck this show is.

Ja'moke

Yeah sounds very exciting. Was listening to the commentary on the Season 1 Pilot episode earlier and they talk about Jack's tatoos and how they will come into play later on in the series, they also mention Cindy the air hostess saying "We might see her again", so it's obvious they do have lots of stuff planned, yes some stuff will be made on the cuff, but it would be impossible to chance the entire show one episode at a time.

terminallyrelaxed

HELP! I'm confused. What episode are we on? When I downloaded episode 23 it said it was uploaded 9 days ago and that was Friday, and theres this season 3 finale thread too, but I can't find ay torrents of epidose 24. Am I being previous? Demonoid and Mininova don't have any, and thats allowing for the flakey search function. I haven't tried IRC for it yet.
I don't want to see any spoilers for episode 24 so if we are on it can someone PM me and confirm? Thanks.

terminallyrelaxed

Frankly, I think Charlie's exit was poorly done. He could easily have gotten through the door instead of closing it on Desmond, hell, he could have swum out the porthole once the room had filled up.
I know that we then get to see him all beatific and at peace as he lets go which is nice for him and A Good Death as these things go.
He knew that he had successfully turned off the jamming device as he then got the transmission from Penny (so he knew he didn't have to die, it wouldn't be the first time Desmond's predictions had been altered by human action), he could have lived for the sake of the other losties to tell them about the transmission. I know the "not penny's boat" palm-scrawl allows for more suspense than a simple verbal explanation, but I just felt that after all Charlie's been through it seemed a bit of a cop out that he died because at this point Desmond told him he dies, through choice rather than necessity.
We accept Charlie would have gladly died to turn off the device and so save everyone else (annoying how you can't just say 'the others' in this context), but he had already achieved this. Reading some of those explanations from the producer above is frustrating; "We didn't really want to throw him back into the throes of addiction again." - couldn't you have just bunged him back into the general population to be background noise apart from when you need an extra body, a la Hurley, Sun, Rose Bernard, Claire and basically everyone who isn't Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Juliette, Sayid or Locke? Don't get me wrong, its OK that he died, but the death felt tacked on and in the end not necessary. Whats wrong with someone becoming a better person on the island, and living to enjoy it? Oh well.

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: terminallyrelaxed on June 04, 2007, 05:21:37 PM
HELP! I'm confused.

The season finale was ep22 followed by ep23 on the same night. That was nearly two weeks ago for "time online" references. In case you need to cast your eye over the stuff you d/l, both eps feature the Jack with grizzly beard flashes and have the tailies trooping off to the radio tower and Charlie trying to get to the switch.

edit: Oh, looking at your next post (didn't read the poster's name so didn't realise it was you, sorry) I see you've already seen the finale. You don't need any of the info I put in here.

Slaaaaabs

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: Beck on May 17, 2007, 11:38:27 PM
Agreed that Charlie's now a tad more sympathetic, but why in sodomy did he whack Desmond in the head with an oar instead of just, y'know, politely declining his offer? Seemed like a particularly arsey thing to do, that. What what would he have done had he not knocked him out with the first shot? Continued to beat him senseless? It really felt like a total character betrayal for the sake of an 'ooh, didn't expect that, did you?'-type moment.

Because thats the way it works on Film and TV Suicide missions.
Hero 1: Looks a bit dicey, you sure you're not too fat to fit through?
Hero 2: We haven't got a choice, someone's got to pin the tail on that donkey, or we'll all die.
Hero 1: Yeah, and how many rabid donkeys have you tail-pinned recently?
Hero 2: I know what you're trying to do, and theres no way.
Hero 1: I'd have a much better chance than you.
Hero 2: You just want to be the hero.
Hero 1: Shut up and help me on with this bungee harness
Hero 2: Sure -DONK!
Hero 1 slumps to the floor.
Hero 2: Sorry dude, I can't let you do it, they'd laugh me out of the Royal Society if I let a welshman do the tail-pinning.
Hero1: Groan.
(this is what happens when you can't remember any specific examples)
Except the main hero's sidekick usually bops him one, allowing for the main hero to be altruistic and all windswept and interesting while letting someone else go on the suicide mission without losing face, on account of being bopped over the head.

Famous Mortimer

I think it shows how much the producers are winging it, with Charlie going out the way he did. He's finally got peace, it's not like they use whatshername with the kid much either, so just have them retiring into the background. Terminallyrelaxed is absolutely spot on, and it's not that it's sad (which it was), it's unnecessary too.

How did that Russian "Wishmaster" motherfucker survive a harpoon to the fucking chest? And why did he presumably then kill himself with a grenade?

terminallyrelaxed

I've caught up with the thread now - thanks to those who cleared up my confusion about episodes (by the way how come there are only 23 episodes, did they run out of zip disks or something?).
Further to my contrary railing against, well, everything, I think my problems with the realisation of Charlie's death can be laid on the aptly named Jack Bender's doorstep. No problems with the script or the actors or what actually happened, just a poorly directed scene.

Famous Mortimer

I was just hoping he'd buck the predictions. Was any reason given as to why the island was presumably trying to kill Charlie? Why Desmond was getting the predictions? Charlie also made a nice change to the almost blanket floppy hair that the island's men are sporting :)

terminallyrelaxed

Also, Charlie oaring Desmond was to make Desmond look good. Desmond is a badass and Charlie is a rock star, we would have wondered why Des let him go or go alone, just sitting up there serenely while Charlie swam to his doom, so Charlie had to knock him out.

So Des has seen Claire get on a chopper. The Kate and Jack flash-forward seems to have given people the idea that Kate and Jack got off the island but others didn't, all I got was a flash-forward that Kate and Jack were in and others weren't, but assuming they know something I don't, then what could happen is something like this (WILD SPECULATION, NOT SPOILER):

Evil boat people send Chopper, Jack et al have no real reason to believe they are anything other than rescuers (I wouldn't believe Ben if I were them), Claire gets on the chopper first as she has a child (baddies want the child because he was delivered successfully and healthy on the island and is therefore Bionic or some fucking thing) Jack goes with her because he wants to check out the boat due to Ben's warnings, Kate goes with him because she's nosey and pushy, and one other (maybe Sawyer because he's still a bit of a cunt and might try and get off before people like Rose) and thats all four seats on the chopper (assuming its an average sized one). The boat people have what (or whom) they want, so don't go back for the rest. Kate makes some deal where she shacks up with Jim Robinson from Neighbours in return for rescue for her and Jack.

Trouble with this is, they must have something on Jack and Kate to keep them quiet. Kate's easy, she's still a fugitive from justice, maybe they'll kill Kate if Jack tries to get anyone to go back to the island to get the rest of the survivors. But why would Kate suddenly become a different person? Theres no way if they'd left people behind and Jack said "we have to go back" that she'd disagree, unless she's going too spontaneously turn into a cunt, a la Michael.

What is this shitty, bad-tasting "game-changer" americanism about? The  game changes because more of its off the island and not in flashbacks. I suppose there'll be some massive return to the island to solve the larger half-begun mysteries, obviously  they'll just leave hanging the stories they started and then couldn't be bothered with.

Does anyone else think the now fizzled-out Hurley/Dave/Libby storyline was ultimately pointless and a little tasteless?

terminallyrelaxed

Wasn't the black Doctor also the Cylon Doctor from Battlestar Galactica?

gazzyk1ns

Nah, I reckon what happens is this:

Hurley et al get on the walkie to Jack immediately, before the helicopter arrives, because Des has got back to the beach and told them about Charlie's warning. Jack, bearing Ben's warning in mind too, and presumably thinking "This is a bit too good to be true...", does all he can, which is to address everyone and say "OK everyone... this could be rescue, but then again it might not be... I don't know. So if you want to take the chance, which I will be doing, then come with me. Hopefully whatever happens, I'll get off the island eventually and come back to rescue you anyway.". That way, the writers can carry on making it up as they go along because Desmond's vision will be fulfulled (Claire plus baby getting on a helicopeter) but irrelevant, Jack and Kate's presence off the island is explained simply and (relatively) Mundanely, and we'll esentially be in the same position as before, not knowing anything about the island or its location.

I suppose we will all carry on watching anyway

Oh well